shape
carat
color
clarity

Las Vegas shooting

E B

Ideal_Rock
"The massacre will likely reignite the debate on gun control, particularly in Nevada, which has some of the most relaxed gun laws in the United States. Firearm owners there are not required to have a license, and do not have to register their weapons. The state does not prohibit the sale of assault rifles, and places no limits on the number of firearms an individual can possess and the capacity of ammunition magazines."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/las-vegas-gunman-had-apos-153246804.html

Insanity. :nono:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Kath, there's lots of states where you don't have to register the weapon, some of them are very blue.

At this point they have not said what he actually had, just that they were rifles. what TYPE of rifle because that actually does matter.

And many states don't require you to have a license if you don't CC. Like if you have one for home defense for instance. Some states thats a no, you must have a license even for home defense. But you still have to go through a federal background check. I had heard the guns were purchased in the girlfriends name but I don't know how true that is either.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just heard that there are reports one of the weapons was a modified AR-15 which is definitely illegal because it is illegal to modify any weapon to fully automatic. Nothing definite yet from law enforcement.

He was wealthy and if he passed BATFE checks he would be able to purchase pre ban full autos but their price is usually $20K plus with the added requirements we discussed earlier.

To add to what Arcadian said, there are states with Constitutional Carry that have no requirement to obtain a license to conceal carry within the state as long as you are able to possess a firearm legally.

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
damn.. thanks red. If he did that than yeah totally illegal anywhere. Still nothing on motive. Maybe gambling debts, but even that may not be true because he apparently was a millionaire...still waiting on something solid there though.

The girlfriend reportedly was in Dubai. That may not mean anything, may be coincidence but there are Filipino Muslims. Were there any Muslim holy holidays this past month? I'm not saying she's one, just trying to connect some dots.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the press conference this morning they said they have talked to her and she is supposedly coming back so that is a good thing. Hopefully she can provide plenty of information on motive once they speak to her. Dear God I hope it is not political because that is the last thing this country needs more of.

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The girlfriend is a Filipino Australia who is currently overseas with her family and according to our news had no clue he was going to do that.

No one other than police, security guards and the military should be allowed to own guns like that period. Better gun control is not about taking away guns, civill liberties etc, it's about ensuring guns like this are not able to be accessed by anyone, so that 50+ people cannot be killed and another 500+ more be injured in an attack.

If people want to use these types of guns recreationally they should have to go to a licensed shooting range who keeps them under lock and key and only be able to access (not own) them there.

Saying guns don't kill people, people kill people is illogical. People with certain types of guns can kill more people than people who don't have them simple as that. 500 plus people injured by one guy? That's ridiculous and completely unacceptable on every level...... Take away certain types of guns you limit the number of people ie those will any mental issues, political agendas etc can kill/injure at once.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are so many heartbreaking stories about this tragedy all over the news. And so many inspiring ones as well of people helping others amid the terror. Blood donations are flooding in after the request by the mayor this morning.

But this kind of intolerance is utterly disgusting. Senior counsel of CBS. SMH.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...cebook-post-republican-gun-toters/724808001/#

And this one:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...ned+Because+People+Don't+Respect+Trump+or+God

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... another nice heart-warming story from this ...
... I always ignore the unpleasant and look for the happy side when 600 people get shot.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rise-again-this-time-after-las-vegas-shooting
"As news of the attack spread, firearm-related stocks began to rise. Olin Corp., the maker of Winchester ammunition, rose almost 7 percent. American Outdoor Brands Corp., formerly Smith & Wesson Holding Corp., was up about 3 percent, and Sturm Ruger & Co. rose almost 4 percent."

Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it is sad that anyone would want to go immediately to political party affiliation when there is nothing from anyone involved in the investigation as to motive yet. We don't need any more of that for sure.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
@Kath, there's lots of states where you don't have to register the weapon, some of them are very blue.

At this point they have not said what he actually had, just that they were rifles. what TYPE of rifle because that actually does matter.

And many states don't require you to have a license if you don't CC. Like if you have one for home defense for instance. Some states thats a no, you must have a license even for home defense. But you still have to go through a federal background check. I had heard the guns were purchased in the girlfriends name but I don't know how true that is either.

Yeah, I am pretty aware of all of that (and my state has gone blue in the last 3 presidential elections, it seems to be moving further that way, thank god). I've lived with people who fetishize guns my entire life; being a 6th generation Texan who also lived in Alaska for 10 years, I find NV to be the least obsessed with guns of the four states I've lived in, though you wouldn't know that looking at our lax gun laws. Hopefully that will change here now, but I doubt it.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Incidentally, when I was a kid in Texas, my 3 year old next door neighbor (our families had known each other for years even at that point, in fact we still do some 30 yrs later) shot himself in the head after he found his dad's gun. Obviously he died. That's the sort of thing that one remembers, even growing up in Texas and Alaska surrounded by gun indoctrination. That, plus my husband being robbed at gunpoint once, topped off with my mom's best friend's young teenage son being murdered in a convenience store (by gun of course) are perhaps some of my reasons for being so disgusted by this entire topic. Today's massacre didn't help at all. I'd be much happier if we actually did take away all the guns. Guns are nobody's "right". The universe doesn't place us on Earth with a "right to bear arms". That is a peculiar fetish of some Americans that much of the world views as bizarre, myself included.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Yes it is sad that anyone would want to go immediately to political party affiliation when there is nothing from anyone involved in the investigation as to motive yet. We don't need any more of that for sure.

You and @Arcadian are the only ones on this thread who brought up the possibility of this act being politically motivated. Based on what, exactly?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You and @Arcadian are the only ones on this thread who brought up the possibility of this act being politically motivated. Based on what, exactly?

I was responding to Matata's link. I said I hoped it was not previously. Why is that an issue for you?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Like I said upthread, just a feeling I have, just a hunch. Its not officially anywhere. I'm looking at the same stuff you guys are. But maybe because I'm looking at things differently is the reason why I have a feeling.

I'm hoping he's just some crazy without any political leanings because this country is already keg ready to bust. this is something I wouldn't mind being wrong about.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is a retired accountant with gambling debts, millionaire: owns multiple homes and airplane

No religious or political afflilation

Legally bought guns in Arizona and Nevada

Brought suitcases in over 4 days

Room was 2 bedroom suite

DH has Foxnews on.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I was responding to Matata's link. I said I hoped it was not previously. Why is that an issue for you?

It is an issue for me because you bring it up based on no evidence and your posts that you hope it isn’t political serves only to reinforce that it could be political. It’s how people spread rumors while keeping some deniability.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is an issue for me because you bring it up based on no evidence and your posts that you hope it isn’t political serves only to reinforce that it could be political. It’s how people spread rumors while keeping some deniability.

Hmmm. OK. Based on your two posts directed at me they sound like attempts to control or question specifically what I say. No thanks. Not into that, save it for the collective. Nothing I have said in this thread has been divisive toward anyone except responding to nasty comments made by others to me, which I will no longer do.

I would rather concentrate on the topic of this thread which is a horrific tragedy and more information continues to come out. I will have respectful conversations with respectful open-minded people only from now on. :wavey:

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One correction, the brother said the family knows of no policital or religious affiliation. Seeing that his family was totally shocked, there are apparently a lot of things they didn't know about him. I watched the last couple of reports from the officials in LV, and they said they confiscated more firearms, ammo, electronics, etc. from his home and they were about to raid his home in another state. They are wisely NOT speculating on motive yet, so any speculation we do is totally pointless at this moment.

I feel sick and heartbroken over this. My thoughts today were to mourn for the the victims, their families and all affected and to respect all those who were heroes last night including bystanders, law enforcement, first reponders, medical people, and so on. I do not know the answer when people with no recorded history of illegal behavior suddenly do something so horrific.

I am going to have to agree with a few that this is not primarily a gun problem, although I acknowledge that there may need to be more universal background checks to try to screen out the diagnosed mentally ill (which would apparently NOT have stopped this man). People have a short memory if they don't recall the Nice attack in July 2016 where a cargo TRUCK killed 86 and injured 458. Or perhaps Oklahoma City TRUCK bombing in 1995 that killed 168 people and injured more than 680. So single perpetrators with a truck have done roughly equal or greater damage to human life. NYC 9-11-2001 was even worse and was not done with guns, either. The attacks killed 2.996 people and injured over 6000 others. We'd have to ban more than guns to stop determined evil people. (My husband heard something about materials for bombmaking being found awhile ago, and if that is true, this could have been even worse.)

@Arcadian I just want to say you are one brave and inspiring woman to have been a cancer fighter and survivor twice, and you are so careful but competent in your ability to protect yourself (and others) from harm. You might not have been here to post had you not been able to protect yourself in that parking garage. I wish I had a tenth the courage that you do.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
One correction, the brother said the family knows of no policital or religious affiliation. Seeing that his family was totally shocked, there are apparently a lot of things they didn't know about him. I watched the last couple of reports from the officials in LV, and they said they confiscated more firearms, ammo, electronics, etc. from his home and they were about to raid his home in another state. They are wisely NOT speculating on motive yet, so any speculation we do is totally pointless at this moment.

I feel sick and heartbroken over this. My thoughts today were to mourn for the the victims, their families and all affected and to respect all those who were heroes last night including bystanders, law enforcement, first reponders, medical people, and so on. I do not know the answer when people with no recorded history of illegal behavior suddenly do something so horrific.

I am going to have to agree with a few that this is not primarily a gun problem, although I acknowledge that there may need to be more universal background checks to try to screen out the diagnosed mentally ill (which would apparently NOT have stopped this man). People have a short memory if they don't recall the Nice attack in July 2016 where a cargo TRUCK killed 86 and injured 458. Or perhaps Oklahoma City TRUCK bombing in 1995 that killed 168 people and injured more than 680. So single perpetrators with a truck have done roughly equal or greater damage to human life. NYC 9-11-2001 was even worse and was not done with guns, either. The attacks killed 2.996 people and injured over 6000 others. We'd have to ban more than guns to stop determined evil people. (My husband heard something about materials for bombmaking being found awhile ago, and if that is true, this could have been even worse.)

Why don’t we just start with limiting some guns? Or is it not worth doing anything if we can’t fix everything?

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I saw this on twitter and they expressed my feelings well.

When a 64 year old man kills 59 and wounds 527 more in fifteen minutes from 1200 feet AWAY from his victims with a knife, I will absolutely call for knife control. Until then, you've made the world's shittiest point.

______
No one is saying there are not many other ways for bad people to do bad things. No one is claiming that gun control would reduce the various weapons people might try to use. People are saying this ONE way could be one LESS way for people to commit mass murder.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

@Arcadian I just want to say you are one brave and inspiring woman to have been a cancer fighter and survivor twice, and you are so careful but competent in your ability to protect yourself (and others) from harm. You might not have been here to post had you not been able to protect yourself in that parking garage. I wish I had a tenth the courage that you do.

Oh DS I totally understand where you are coming from and gun owners are on board with something sensible that will actually be effective and is not a placation that does nothing. Mental health has got to be addressed. I heard that he had tannerite which could be used for a small explosive I guess, but is usually used for exploding targets when target shooting. It can be purchased at sporting good stores.

I agree that @Arcadian is an awesome testament to women.

This murderous evil in Vegas absolutely breaks my heart.

Last edited:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are so many heartbreaking stories about this tragedy all over the news. And so many inspiring ones as well of people helping others amid the terror. Blood donations are flooding in after the request by the mayor this morning.

But this kind of intolerance is utterly disgusting. Senior counsel of CBS. SMH.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...cebook-post-republican-gun-toters/724808001/#

Meh, I guess I'm disgusting then because I had similar sentiments. I don't limit it to feeling unsympathetic toward republican country music fans though, I am unsympathetic toward all of us Americans, period. After the Sandy Hook massacre did nothing to persuade us to change our ways I became resigned to the fact that death by mass murder is something that we have chosen to accept here. On average, 90 people are killed by the use of guns each day in the U.S. Today it's about 150. I'm confident that tomorrow we'll go back to our normal 90 and in the next few weeks we'll go back to talking about something else and not worrying about it for a while.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The scope of the amount of human suffering from this one incident is startling. Surely, we can do something about people owning weapons that can do this amount of damage in such a short amount of time. This was a massacre. Several fire and police departments are reporting victims among their personel. My DH's department put a hold on all work (not including calls) until everyone in the whole department could be accounted for. I believe that had 3 shooting victims who will all recover. It seems like we should be able to do something. I am not for abolishing all weapons. My daughter and son in law live in rural AZ and regularly kill rattlers on their property so I do see a reasonable use for guns for many people. But we can stop this kind of thing from happening again.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meh, I guess I'm disgusting then because I had similar sentiments. I don't limit it to feeling unsympathetic toward republican country music fans though, I am unsympathetic toward all of us Americans, period. After the Sandy Hook massacre did nothing to persuade us to change our ways I became resigned to the fact that death by mass murder is something that we have chosen to accept here. On average, 90 people are killed by the use of guns each day in the U.S. Today it's about 150. I'm confident that tomorrow we'll go back to our normal 90 and in the next few weeks we'll go back to talking about something else and not worrying about it for a while.

How do you know those country music fans voted republican?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found the CBS legal consultant-Haley something to be outrageous as well. First of all, the sentiment is pure evil on her part as well. This is not a problem of party. To wish suffering on any group of people is just flat wrong. No one deserves that. To say that country music fans are mostly gun toting republicans and deserve what they get is hateful. She was fired. I don't know how she thought it was going to turn out for her.

Generally, fire and police departments are democratic supporters and there was a huge numbers for fire and police at the concert.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How do you know those country music fans voted republican?

I have no idea how they voted and I could not care less. You have missed my point entirely. Forget the voter affiliation or music genre. Read the part where I am unsympathetic toward ALL of us Americans and why.

edited to add: I don't give a rat's a*s about the CBS consultant either. What she says or whether or not she's employed changes nothing. It's just a lot of noise and distraction about a problem with no solution.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results