shape
carat
color
clarity

Las Vegas shooting

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dee*Jay Nothing I've read is directly point there. I'm just deducing what is being said on news channels at the moment.

People who you would not think would do such a thing are snapping, that much we do know. Thats not taking into account the guys father. There are decent people with sh*tbag parents, but it was an interesting read to be sure.

Even if he was recruited by ISIS like they claim, it points to religious/political leanings. My belief is that the ISIS thing is background noise. They like to claim stuff so they can look "badass", the other side will claim it was them to instill fear fear of darker folks.

I hate to think it was a political statement of sorts.... It kinda feels like one though.

I just hope that he was just crazy, no political leanings. The US is already divided enough.

Exactly.......

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Listening to Sarah Huckabee Sanders right now is sickening. I've NEVER been more embarrassed of the country I live in.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously? Anything can be used as a weapon? People who want to break the law will? Seriously? Trite bullsh*t.
The scope of damage done by a weapon is as important to the discussion as the weapon. At the current time, most of our angry white people do not choose explosives and panel trucks. They choose guns. Bend it any way you want to, wave the Constitution and the flag around and hold your shiny bright 2nd Amendment in front of your shocked and saddened faces that such a tragedy repeats in this country. Don't forget to mention how we can't get all the criminals to give up all their guns so we have to keep ours so we're safe. Then segue into why what works so well in other countries where gun ownership is more strict or nonexistent couldn't possible work here. Keep on preaching the rhetoric while the body count continues to climb.

I am not against private citizen gun ownership. I am opposed to our system of gun regulation.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's all a problem.

Legal gun ownership in the hands of people who have no business owning guns is a problem. (My BIL for instance, and we can't do anything about it from the family point of view).

Black market guns are a HUGE problem that I have zero idea how to touch.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Listening to Sarah Huckabee Sanders right now is sickening. I've NEVER been more embarrassed of the country I live in.
I was unable to listen to her today. Just too frustrated already to add to it.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matata
yes anything can be used as a weapon. We can respectfully disagree on that.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:nono::nono::nono:
America needs a full gun ban, like other countries with half a brain cell have sucessfully implemented.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So very sad for the families who lost loved ones and all those who went for a fun weekend only to have this happen.

Thankful the timing worked out so I was unable to attend. Guilty that I am thankful to have not been there when so many were.

Sick that something like this can happen.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2034.PNG
"FAIRFAX, VA—In the aftermath of a shooting in Las Vegas that left at least 58 people dead and more than 500 wounded, National Rifle Association officials said Monday that mass shootings are just the unfortunate price of protecting people’s freedom to commit mass shootings. “What happened in Las Vegas is a horrific tragedy, but it’s sadly the inevitable cost of safeguarding the rights of Americans to perpetrate such horrific tragedies,” said NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre, adding that defending the constitutional right to commit mass murder meant accepting that mass murders were occasionally going to happen. “As saddened as we are today, we must always remember that preserving our sacred liberty to go on violent rampages is far more important than any one violent rampage.” LaPierre went on to say that legislation like recent state laws permitting guns on college campuses and an upcoming House bill that would relax restrictions on the purchase of gun silencers were vital to ensuring people had more freedom to commit much deadlier massacres, even if they sometimes lead to much deadlier massacres."

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No words...:(sad. too many crazy people in this world.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes anything can be used as a weapon. We can respectfully disagree on that.
@Arcadian....I didn't disagree with you, I said the scope of damage done by a weapon has to be considered in the discussion. Bows and arrows, cars, a finger in the eye, pepper spray, rocks...when these become as common in terror attacks as guns, we can discuss their scope of destruction.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like others have expressed, even if we have a 2nd amendment (and heck other amendments in the past have been revoked when they have found to be unworkable), it doesn't say anything about the right for private individuals (not as part of a militia) to own semi-automatic weapons, own multiple weapons (this guy had 8 high powered weapons in his room) as well as own unlimited ammo. Yes anything can be turned into a weapon, but guns only have 1 use: shooting bullets. In this case from a high up vantage point, taking out many many people before this guy could be taken out. This person did not have much of a record, no real mental illness, and still this happened. At this point gun regulation would be the intelligent response (but I ain't holding my breath). I think that will only happen when there is mass litigation on the part of victims of gun shootings suing the government. Or attendance/profit from public venues (from music concerts, shows, theatres, festivals, parades etc), is sufficiently impacted that other parties, including hospitals, lobby for stricter control.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2034.PNG
"FAIRFAX, VA—In the aftermath of a shooting in Las Vegas that left at least 58 people dead and more than 500 wounded, National Rifle Association officials said Monday that mass shootings are just the unfortunate price of protecting people’s freedom to commit mass shootings. “What happened in Las Vegas is a horrific tragedy, but it’s sadly the inevitable cost of safeguarding the rights of Americans to perpetrate such horrific tragedies,” said NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre, adding that defending the constitutional right to commit mass murder meant accepting that mass murders were occasionally going to happen. “As saddened as we are today, we must always remember that preserving our sacred liberty to go on violent rampages is far more important than any one violent rampage.” LaPierre went on to say that legislation like recent state laws permitting guns on college campuses and an upcoming House bill that would relax restrictions on the purchase of gun silencers were vital to ensuring people had more freedom to commit much deadlier massacres, even if they sometimes lead to much deadlier massacres."

Tone deaf and out of touch. Even we legal gun owners want SOMETHING done.

ETA: i see now, that is the Onion

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 12.04.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 12.04.49 PM.png

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tone deaf and out of touch. Even we legal gun owners want SOMETHING done.

The Onion may be many things, but rarely is it tone deaf. The NRA holds plenty of power and has the ability to work with legislators on gun control. After Newtown, what changed? What was done? A classroom full of children and teachers were murdered and we were more than happy to send thoughts and prayers, but what was done?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If SANDY HOOK wasn't enough to get them to act, nothing will. Sander's response today in response to enacting some sort of gun control: "The President is a strong supporter of the second amendment." :eek2::eek2::eek2:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Onion may be many things, but rarely is it tone deaf. The NRA holds plenty of power and has the ability to work with legislators on gun control. After Newtown, what changed? What was done? A classroom full of children and teachers were murdered and we were more than happy to send thoughts and prayers, but what was done?

No, I meant the NRA was tone deaf (when I thought it was a real article with real quotes)...

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The urge to immediately "do something" after a tragedy is certainly understandable. But if it does not stop anything then it is "something" that is useless just to make people feel better. If a person with no criminal or mental history would be able to purchase a weapon in this country, or get one illegally from someone then no regulation will stop it. How they use it is the problem and how do you legislate that? This is horrible and the conversation will be difficult in the coming days and months.

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our country allows this to happen.

I've been watching the news most of the day. I haven't heard anything that would point to this being political. I'm sure it was easy for him to get the guns in the building. All he had to do was put them in a golf travel bag. It's Vegas, who would be suspicious of someone walking in a hotel with a golf bag?

I lost all hope of anything changing after Sandy Hook. Things will go back to normal in a few days and a few months from now there will be another one....and people will be shocked. SAD.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My heart breaks...I know so many country music fans that travel the country to follow their favorite artist (me included) and I am sickened that this happened..it could have been me...I been to shows like that multiple times...my prayers go out all involved both the artists and the people that were killed and all their families this will take a long time to get over :cry2:

E B

Ideal_Rock
The shooter had 19 guns. 19. In the hotel room. And more at home, I hear. He injured or killed almost 600 people FROM ACROSS A STREET, 30 floors up.

Yes, something can be done. There's just too much money in nothing being done.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Can we just ****in' stop with the gun defense for a while? NO ONE IS GOING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR GUNS. The NRA Lobby has guaranteed that.

So can we just say that what happened was a horrible thing and admit that it wouldn't have been so horrible if the guy didn't have 10 high-powered automatic guns that allowed him to kill almost 60 people and injure 500 from the luxury of a room on the 32nd floor of a hotel one block away?

A guy with knife wouldn't have been able to stab that many people. A guy with a truck wouldn't have been able to run over that many people. A guy would have a hard time planting a big bomb in that crowd. A guy wouldn't have been able to beat up or strangle that many people with his hands.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nevermind.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we just ****in' stop with the gun defense for a while? NO ONE IS GOING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR GUNS. The NRA Lobby has guaranteed that. So can we just say that what happened was a horrible thing and admit that it wouldn't have been so horrible if the guy didn't have 10 high-powered automatic guns that allowed him to kill almost 60 people and injure 500 from the luxury of a room on the 32nd floor of a hotel one block away? A guy with knife wouldn't have been able to stab that many people. A guy with a truck wouldn't have been able to run over that many people. A guy would have a hard time planting a big bomb in that crowd. A guy wouldn't have been able to beat up or strangle that many people with his hands.
Thank you. Thank you so much for saying this. I just couldn’t. Thank you. Not outlawing all guns, just certain ones... scope matters.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we just ****in' stop with the gun defense for a while? NO ONE IS GOING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR GUNS. The NRA Lobby has guaranteed that.

So can we just say that what happened was a horrible thing and admit that it wouldn't have been so horrible if the guy didn't have 10 high-powered automatic guns that allowed him to kill almost 60 people and injure 500 from the luxury of a room on the 32nd floor of a hotel one block away?

A guy with knife wouldn't have been able to stab that many people. A guy with a truck wouldn't have been able to run over that many people. A guy would have a hard time planting a big bomb in that crowd. A guy wouldn't have been able to beat up or strangle that many people with his hands.

THANK YOU. Gahhhhh screw today. :nono:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, how could something like this happen *here*? (Sarcasm):

"The massacre will likely reignite the debate on gun control, particularly in Nevada, which has some of the most relaxed gun laws in the United States. Firearm owners there are not required to have a license, and do not have to register their weapons. The state does not prohibit the sale of assault rifles, and places no limits on the number of firearms an individual can possess and the capacity of ammunition magazines."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/las-vegas-gunman-had-apos-153246804.html

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results