shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies, How many times have you upgraded your E-ring?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never got an official ering from my spouse so “upgrade” probably isn’t the right term lol. I’ve bought (and sold) many styles of erings over the years though and there’s definitely a trend towards bigger and bigger!

The husband doesn’t get tired hearing about it because he doesn’t hear about it lol. Bling is my hobby and funded by me for me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sold my engagement ring after I divorced my ex-hubby to help with my relocation, so I have never had an upgrade. It was a 3-stone EC with 0.75cttw, and it made me realised I love ECs, here is a poor quality pic of the ring:

The 1.19ct E VS1 EC I bought for my 40th birthday that I wear as a RHR had a re-set in time for my 50th birthday.

Pics of the EC in its original setting that I never liked (I did not have any design input when I commissioned it, and it was set too high with a band that was too square and narrow) and its current setting in an air gap halo:

I am happy with its current setting and do not intend to have it re-set again. However I do like a 3-stone with step cut traps on the sides. :Up_to_something:

The stone has sentimental value attached to it, and I am not going to part with it.

Would I get a bigger EC? Of course, however only if I win big on the lottery! :lol-2:

I could have bought another EC in the 2.5 to 3ct range with the over-budget I spent on my camper van. However it is a tiny home for the next 10 years or so, and it is more important at this stage of my life.

Besides, where and when would I have the opportunities to wear a 3ct EC ring nowadays? I don't wear my 1.19ct that often as it is!

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never got an official ering from my spouse so “upgrade” probably isn’t the right term lol. I’ve bought (and sold) many styles of erings over the years though and there’s definitely a trend towards bigger and bigger!

The husband doesn’t get tired hearing about it because he doesn’t hear about it lol. Bling is my hobby and funded by me for me.

Same here, I earn my own money and spend it which way I please, with or without another person in my life!

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
The original e-ring had a poor setting that fell apart in a few weeks and discounting that one change of setting, I’m just in the process of my one and only upgrade. Carat -0.05 but colour, clarity and cut will all be improved. The setting will stay the same for sentimental reasons.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you upgraded the cut quality? weight? color? clarity?.
Is your husband tire of hearing about you upgrading this and that? :lol:

I have lost count lol.

Ring we got engaged with upgraded for size
Then upgraded from MRB (not my style) to OEC
Then upgraded my first OEC for a higher color OEC (just a smidge larger but not the reason I upgraded)

So I have officially finished "upgrading" the diamond.
Now just waiting to find or create my final OEC HG setting.

And as we all know by now
457492dro0rb016c.gif

bubbalahinjewleryboxbygreg.jpg.png

And to answer your last question, No, my dh is not tired of making my dreams come true.
1237380ar500lxyn4.gif
Thankfully.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an upgrade as such, however, rather than waiting for an OH to come along to get me my dream ring for my left hand ring finger, I am getting it myself instead.

It will be a neon pink round Sapphire about 7mm round in an Edwardian-inspired air gap diamond cluster with a thicker comfort shank without millgrain like this one:

Jeff W found me a suitable Sapphire for re-cut at Tucson earlier this year, can't post pic as I don't have one, only seen a short video taken while he was at Tucson and the colour popped at me.

Not sure if this counts as an E-ring, however, this was funded partially with the money saved by having my late partner re-decorated by house instead of using a professional trader (he did a very good job). The heart-shaped Ruby is 1.67ct, which can pass as 2ct face up.

It is way too blingy for everyday wear, so I had a smaller heart-shaped Ruby 3-stone ring made so that it can be worn casually as often as I can:

This is another one of my dream rings for my left hand ring finger, and I may have one made with a 2ct Moissy one day, with white metal only, no millgrain and a thicker plain comfort shank, as I am unlikely to hook up with an OH anytime soon! :lol-2:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 times so not so bad compared to some PSrs, lol. Plus I still have 3 of the 4. Mainly upgraded the weight and then the last two, weight and cut quality. My first was a .32ct J VS1 round that belonged to my hubby's grandmother. For my 10th anniversary we upgraded to a 1.25 J/K Si1 princess cut. Didn't know a lot about diamonds back then. For my 27th anniversary we traded in my princess on my 2.52 FLY VS1 rounded corner radiant. This year is my 40th anniversary and I am now sporting a 3.01ct I VVS2 emerald cut. It will probably be the last but if we are still kicking at our 50th then you never know, lol.

cmsorig11.jpg

catmomsrings3.JPG

IMG_8147.JPG

IMG_7340.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am on my 2nd engagement ring, but it was a replacement rather than an upgrade. My original ring was 12 quad set princess cuts, but a hard bash chipped one of the central diamonds against another & left them all vulnerable to popping out. The insurance company wrote it off as 'not suitable for daily wear'. The bottom left central stone that looks cloudy, is the one with a sliver missing where it meets the stone above. They let me keep it for sentimentality reasons, but it's too delicate to wear. So my husband matched the pay out & bought my pear cut diamond, which I am still in love with 8 years later. We don't do the whole upgrading thing in the UK, as I've mentioned before, so unless we win the lottery or my pear gets stolen etc, this is me =)2

IMG_20181204_095036.jpg

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
20200303_143651.jpg I've upgraded twice. 1st time was purely for color and clarity (its was a pre-pricescope purchase, lol. The second time was for size and cut (post-pricescope purchase!!) :)

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I upgraded twice...my original was a tiny band of poorly cut diamond and rubies, I have the stones but not the org setting, then hubby bought me a .18 ct round diamond I do not know the color or clarity but if I had to guess I would say I and maybe SI2 and then I combined ring 1 and 2 together...still have the setting but the diamond was removed and used else where, last upgrade is my current princess cut, it is 1 ct and I, SI2....I would love to get a new diamond, it would be round and a little bigger and I would want a much better cut and clarity...but to me it seems silly to spend the money on a diamond where I could use that money elsewhere or to save for retirement.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
None! I am very sentimental and my husband said my engagement ring is already the "upgrade" at 2.4ct, XXX, F, VVS1! He did get me a 7 stone ring as an "alternate" ring when I don't feel comfortable wearing my engagement ring (when I'm traveling, going to less safe places, when I'm doing things that might increase risk of losing my ring, and one I can size up and down instead of my engagement ring).

If I ever were to get a second engagement ring, it would probably be an emerald cut 3-4ct with similar specs just to mix things up. Maybe for a big milestone anniversary. I probably would never upgrade or turn my engagement ring into a pendant or earrings though, I'm way too sentimental.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 upgrades First time I got the exact same ring just in a larger ctw. This was not the right choice as the quality was still low (mall jeweler). I eventually found PS and learned better, 2 upgrade was to a completely different ring that I wore for over a decade. I resized it quite a bit though and compromised the setting. I then had it salvaged and made a necklace. Upgrade #3 is on my finger now.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could possibly write a book :???:
First ring MRB 1.30 ct J-VS2 EGL in an 18 kt. round halo.
Upgrade 1 before marriage MRB 1.30 G VS2 AGS000 - Sareen cushion halo
Upgrade 2 MRB 2.00 ct BGB I think it was an I (yikes) in a plain setting reset in a VC Evelyn
Upgrade 3 OEC 2.69 ct. J VS2 OEC in an EW Laurel
Upgrade 4 EC 3.0 G VS2 in a plain Stuller setting (no idea how I want to set it...still)

While all this upgrading was going on I bought a second engagement ring and upgraded it too :-o
First back up engagement ring 1.81 M VS2 OEC in a bezel setting from Engagement Rings Direct (Brilliantly Engaged)
Upgrade 1 - 2.0 EC K IF setting from Diamonds by Lauren
Upgrade 1b - 2.0 EC reset into a setting from VC
Sold the 2.0 EC when I upgraded to the EC 3.0.

My husband is a saint. My 2.69 ct hasn't sold yet, it is still with Grace. It has about two or three more months and then I'm thinking I keep it. It's the only reason I haven't reset the EC. Just waiting and plotting for my next move.

@missy you are the best!!! Loved your recap!!!

I don't have pictures of the first ring still... I'm sure they are here somewhere and the pictures I attached are not in any order.

Along with these there was a five stone Solasfera I made, had remade and then sold :confused: a number of bands... bought and sold and earrings and...and....and... and. This is a dangerous place!

Attachments

• IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1075.JPG
    IMG_1075.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 39
  • fullsizeoutput_1b9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1b9.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 32
  • fullsizeoutput_401.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_401.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 37
  • fullsizeoutput_14.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_14.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 41
  • fullsizeoutput_1b8.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1b8.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0622.JPG
    IMG_0622.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 43
  • fullsizeoutput_3f9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3f9.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Still wearing my original engagement oval on my left hand with the wedding stack!

My 1.23 CBI is currently on my right hand, and I’m debating turning it into a three-stone with two .42-.49ish CBIs for a more traditional anniversary “wall of bling” look.

DH, as it turns out, is very sentimental. And I guess I am, too! So I don’t want two solitaires for the long-term.... I’m going to start a new thread about my plan/questions. :)

Yes, DH gets tired of all of this. But he is a good sport, mostly!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once. Went from .35 to three stone .43/1.21/.43. Upgraded cut and color. No more upgrades, hubby would rather get other jewelry than a different ering.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not upgrade but different stuff? Sure. I’ve bought and sold a lot in the past few years to find my style. My husband is attached to my original setting but I don’t love it so it sits in a drawer with a Moissanite center stone since we put the diamond back in the family cocktail ring it came from. I wear it twice a year; he’s fine with that. I like choices and smaller stones and colored stones, too, so for me, it’s about variety, not size or upgrading.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 1.03 carat radiant that I got pre-PS. I still have this diamond. After finding PS, I bought a .7 carat stone for a pendant that I upgraded to a 1.33 ACA stone which I wore as a solitaire, and I then upgraded to a 1.73 H, SI1 ACA. I sold this stone to fund my business, and I still miss this stone. A few years ago I bought a 2.56 J, SI1 BG blue which I recently upgraded to a 3.09 I, VS2, and that’s it for me, I’m done. I never thought I’d make it to 3 carats, and I’m more than content.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No upgrades - I still have and wear my original tons. But I have quite a few "alternates." Most of them cost half or less than what my engagement ring cost - the only ring that was more expensive is my paraiba. My husband isn't necessarily interested per se but he likes that I like things, and he likes the things I buy, and while he doesn't necessarily want to hear about things in detail he likes knowing that I've thought about it and am not just off spending money with no plan. He also has interests he spends quite a bit on and I am about as interested - I'm happy he's happy, but don't need to hear about motorcycles or whatever in great detail.

I suppose I did just buy a new diamond pendant which I guess is an upgrade because the original one I wore all the time was a .3ish OEC and I bought a .7ish AVR - both preloved. But I don't think my husband even knows about those - like I talked to him about it and he sees me wearing them all the time but I guarantee he has paid no attention since he's even less interested in diamonds than I am.

I could possibly write a book :???:
First ring MRB 1.30 ct J-VS2 EGL in an 18 kt. round halo.
Upgrade 1 before marriage MRB 1.30 G VS2 AGS000 - Sareen cushion halo
Upgrade 2 MRB 2.00 ct BGB I think it was an I (yikes) in a plain setting reset in a VC Evelyn
Upgrade 3 OEC 2.69 ct. J VS2 OEC in an EW Laurel
Upgrade 4 EC 3.0 G VS2 in a plain Stuller setting (no idea how I want to set it...still)

While all this upgrading was going on I bought a second engagement ring and upgraded it too :-o
First back up engagement ring 1.81 M VS2 OEC in a bezel setting from Engagement Rings Direct (Brilliantly Engaged)
Upgrade 1 - 2.0 EC K IF setting from Diamonds by Lauren
Upgrade 1b - 2.0 EC reset into a setting from VC
Sold the 2.0 EC when I upgraded to the EC 3.0.

My husband is a saint. My 2.69 ct hasn't sold yet, it is still with Grace. It has about two or three more months and then I'm thinking I keep it. It's the only reason I haven't reset the EC. Just waiting and plotting for my next move.

@missy you are the best!!! Loved your recap!!!

I don't have pictures of the first ring still... I'm sure they are here somewhere and the pictures I attached are not in any order.

Along with these there was a five stone Solasfera I made, had remade and then sold :confused: a number of bands... bought and sold and earrings and...and....and... and. This is a dangerous place!

Your Sareen cushion halo is still my favorite halo setting of all time. And I lovvvve how you 2 ct emerald cut was set. I always think you have great taste in settings, so I'm excited to see what you do with the 3 ct EC.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
My e-ring hasn’t get upgraded yet, may never will be. The stone is from CBI. Bought high color especially to impress my mother who is a diamond lover. I got the bug from her :D

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Only my personal opinion as it pertains to me, because i realise its a cultural thing and after 20 years together im not even engaged let alone married (i have seen and heard of too many previously happy long term relationships break up after marrage)
And i really enjoy looking at all your rings and the excitement of the upgrade

But if i were to get an ER from Gary no matter if it were tiny like say this...
downloadfile-7.jpg
(Hopefully it would still be a style where it was safe for long term daily wear...) i would never change it - that would be my ER till the day i die purly for sentiment
However that would not stop me from buying and wearing other diamond rings that look like ERs - but i wouldn't wear the others on that finger althought an eternity ring (but only if it was from him) i would pair with what ever ER (a child's toy ring from the gutter :mrgreen2: even) i had been lucky enough to reveive

Seeing as i am not engaged nor do i have my own ER i wear what ever i like where i want to

the OH did question my wearing a ring on my index finger the other day but i have rings for all my fingers including thumbs

Im desperate for him to buy me a friendship ring not as an ER, but still as a symbol of our enduring love and i would wear that every day but probably not on that finger

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My husband says we can’t afford an upgrade so I will be working on a downgrade for our 10th since he actually never bought a diamond for me.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @distracts
I hope that ring is making someone happy. It was beautiful! I was too rough for it. :roll:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nonsense. I met your wife in the market the other day and she told me exactly what you're up to. But she loves you anyway.:cool2::P2;))
:shhh: She really doesn't know. She think is the same stone...:lol:

Reactions: AV_
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results