shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab grown diamonds will make good natural diamonds way more expensive

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Personally I like colour a lot so like @ForteKitty said, bring on the coloured LGDs... as long as they look good and not fake.

At the PS Carlsbad GTG last year, GIA showed pictures of this some bigger lab blue emerald cut they graded. I can't remember exact ct, but they were over 5ct? 10ct? They didn't disclose the price, but it sounded pretty expensive still. I'd love to buy a giant one for cheap!

ETA: found them! https://www.gia.edu/gia-news-research/large-blue-and-colorless-hpht-synthetic-diamonds

Last edited:

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock
It all about preference, not the price tag. Do I need a brand new self driving, self parking car absolutely not. It depreciated by a good percentage the second the buyer drove off the dealers lot. Again its not an 'investment' like a diamond :lol: lol. But its my choice, so guess what I would rather drive or carry my money in a bag than spend it on a ring, but that is my personal choice and opinion. Its not just about the size of the diamond, the cut or the color. If lab diamonds become cheaper then that will be great, it may not take away from the mined diamond market but it may allow more people who otherwise would have bought CZ to get them. So personally I am happy for them. If I want an investment, I put it in my 401k or any other form of recognized and time proven way.
PS is a percentage of jewelry buyers that are very enthusiastic about it, who enjoy the chase more than the price. As evidenced by the number of upgrades as well as resets a good number of people here have had. A lot of others here enjoy the pictures, get inspiration from and come here to get away for a few minutes of the day to be distracted from the crazuness in the world.
So we can agree to disagree on motivation, choice and the meaning of a piece of rock on your finger or your jewelry collection. So we can all make our case /share our thoughts without getting personal.
Sorry for the long winded response. Welcome to my TED talk

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so true. My much younger brother proposed at the beginning of the year, but they picked out the ring together. When they asked for jewelry help, I was so excited. She asked if I had any square shapes and all I had was a princess cz from maybe 17 years ago when Wink sold them. Got together a tray of different styles of mountings, 6 -7 loose diamonds (1-2ct, E-K colors) along with some already set antique rings, and a few other czs in different shapes that I happened to have. She took one look and immediately picked the princess, and told him she wants a moissanite, not a diamond. There was a 2ct oec diamond in there (free of charge to them) and she still picked the princess because that's what she liked! Not gonna lie, I was a bit crushed and we wanted my brother to get her a princess diamond, but she insisted that she isn't comfortable wearing something that expensive. And just by chance, the ring she saw years ago and couldn't get out of her mind happened to be made by Stuller, so overall the ring was maybe $600, and she's SO happy. Her ring turned out gorgeous and it's exactly what she wanted. My idiot brother said "well, if she loses it like she loses most things, it wont be a big deal to replace" :roll2::lol-2:

20191217_202048.jpg 20191217_201955.jpg 20191217_201916.jpg

Sorry for going off topic but I wanted to comment. The ring is gorgeous @ForteKitty and congratulations on your new sister!

That is so true. My much younger brother proposed at the beginning of the year, but they picked out the ring together. When they asked for jewelry help, I was so excited. She asked if I had any square shapes and all I had was a princess cz from maybe 17 years ago when Wink sold them. Got together a tray of different styles of mountings, 6 -7 loose diamonds (1-2ct, E-K colors) along with some already set antique rings, and a few other czs in different shapes that I happened to have. She took one look and immediately picked the princess, and told him she wants a moissanite, not a diamond. There was a 2ct oec diamond in there (free of charge to them) and she still picked the princess because that's what she liked! Not gonna lie, I was a bit crushed and we wanted my brother to get her a princess diamond, but she insisted that she isn't comfortable wearing something that expensive. And just by chance, the ring she saw years ago and couldn't get out of her mind happened to be made by Stuller, so overall the ring was maybe $600, and she's SO happy. Her ring turned out gorgeous and it's exactly what she wanted. My idiot brother said "well, if she loses it like she loses most things, it wont be a big deal to replace" :roll2::lol-2:

20191217_202048.jpg 20191217_201955.jpg 20191217_201916.jpg

That ring is so gorgeous! Congratulations to your brother and to you! I think kite settings are just the most perfect way to set a princess stone.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you’re going to tell your daughter she should only accept a proposal if it’s with a mined diamond?
Why don’t you let her decide what she wants?
What exactly do you mean with educate her on the subject?
And as her mother shouldn’t you be expecting a guy who respects and loves your daughter? I know of so many guys buying 100k rings and cheating on their fiancée or wife’s. And then I know hard working men that didn’t propose with any ring, but are the most loyal loving husbands.

Why bother with a ring? Do you only wear your mined diamond ring because it’s a mined diamond and a status symbol? I wear diamonds because they sparkle (:

You quoted your thread in hangout that women don’t want just anything. I would say every woman wants something specific, but this also could include a beautiful lab ruby ring or mmd ring or 10 carat mined diamond. It’s a spectrum.

Hi. Mmd diamonds prices have been falling dramatically. We’ve already seen that. They are not stable. This thread is about speculation. Nothing more. When I upgraded my stone, going for a mmd would not have saved me that much money—especially given that i traded up my mined and i was locked in with that dealer. I’m sure he would have gladly taken my mined and saved me a few thousand but the risk of the potential depreciation wasn’t worth it to me. So please stop with your status symbol theories. But since you bring up that theory— is that that why you buy mmd over mined? Because they cost less and You can appear as if you have a status symbol that you otherwise wouldn’t pay for ? Is this why my thread is so jarring to posters in this forum? After all, many who come to this forum love to brag about the thousands that they saved and how smart they are with their money yet end up with the same product as those who have mined and paid more. Guess my speculation seems to undervalue mmd. But like I said, isn’t that what you all have been trying to do for mined diamonds? Essentially telling everyone who owns mined hat you are way savvier with your money? Looks like the fear that the tables will turn is bringing out the best in people, lol. I expect others will chime in to attack me shortly, since the day is young.

As to the values that I pass on to my daughter, she knows that I appreciate jewelry. She knows that I don’t shop retail for it but I take pride in finding great deals, diamonds in the rough, so to speak. So she has learned to appreciate a good piece of jewelry. I hope that when the time comes she appreciates herself enough to know that she Deserves what she is worth—and since she drools over some of my pieces—she has already formed opinions. So if she asks me My opinion when the times comes, I will give it to her. But she is 22 and I’m sure that if she would be having conversations about a ring right now, she would be asking me for help. But I do appreciate that you tried to mom shame me...ugh.

Last edited:

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
I suspect Colored natural diamond will rise in price but not natural white diamond.
. So please stop with your status symbol theories. But since you bring up that theory— is that that why you buy mmd over mined? Because they cost less and You can appear as if you have a status symbols that you otherwise wouldn’t pay for ? Is this why my thread is so jarring to posters in this forum?

I think @Lessics comment did not imply any status symbol theory you mentioned, and this theory is rather all in your head. The reason why people in this forum like @Eeveepenny react so negatively to your comments regarding MMD is that they hide within them so much prejudice and patronizing attitude regarding those who choose MMD rather than mined. Sure they might buy lab diamond because it’s cheap. They might buy lab because they can get a carat or two carat more than natural one. But I wouldn’t go around assuming that they do so because they want to obtain status symbol or be like you. I’m sure you are a great mother and any attack on your motherhood is unwarranted, but I think life I much more than the size of tour diamond or where it came from. And I think @Lessics was just trying to say that.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect Colored natural diamond will rise in price but not natural white diamond.

I think @Lessics comment did not imply any status symbol theory you mentioned, and this theory is rather all in your head. The reason why people in this forum like @Eeveepenny react so negatively to your comments regarding MMD is that they hide within them so much prejudice and patronizing attitude regarding those who choose MMD rather than mined. Sure they might buy lab diamond because it’s cheap. They might buy lab because they can get a carat or two carat more than natural one. But I wouldn’t go around assuming that they do so because they want to obtain status symbol or be like you. I’m sure you are a great mother and any attack on your motherhood is unwarranted, but I think life I much more than the size of tour diamond or where it came from. And I think @Lessics was just trying to say that.

She did.
Lessics said:
“Do you only wear your mined diamond ring because it’s a mined diamond and a status symbol? I wear diamonds because they sparkle (:”

So read carefully before you insult people and what’s “in their head” and then come back and apologize for all your assumptions about my intentions. Seems like you have me all figured out from The occasional threads that I reply to in regard to speculation. Have I ever once even personally commented to anyone about their mmd? Since you know my history I’m sure you can quote my supposed attacks on people. Or you can actually evaluate my arguments. Funny how my post really brought out the angry in a lot of you—no one even questioned @Skyjems about his post Which I find the most insightful and relevant to this thread. He actually said that “ the idea that synthetic diamonds are going to sink the diamond business is laughable to me!” And also
“This has literally NEVER happened to me with any other gem and it tells me that even those holding synthetic diamonds in inventory have zero faith in their future value.”
but I guess it’s understandable to attack me for speculating on his comment. Like what business do i have applying my critical thinking skills in this forum? I Should really censor my thoughts for fear that I Might offend everyone and their mom in this forum.

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock
This has certainly been an interesting thread. Personally I would be very happy to see Lab Grown Diamonds sold very cheaply. It will be great to give my daughter lovely sparkly gifts of jewellery when she is a teenager and let her develop her taste in jewellery through playing around with a lot of different types of pieces. You can do this now to a certain degree with second hand pieces and cheaper pieces made with silver and semi-precious stones. It will be interesting to see where things are in 10 years time when she is bound to be asking for such things.

In terms of ‘cultural’ traditions regarding proposals and engagements. The idea of a man presenting a diamond ring specifically to a woman for engagement doesn’t exist in many cultures. Some cultures place more emphasis on the wedding rings and aren’t so much into the Tiffany style setting with a solitaire diamond being presented on bended knee. I have many cousins who live overseas who wear wedding rings with no engagement ring. The diamond engagement ring isn’t much of a thing over there, although interestingly enough they wear a lot more in the way of gold chains / charms / earrings over there. The work of goldsmiths is more interesting over there for sure!

Personally I like colour a lot so like @ForteKitty said, bring on the coloured LGDs... as long as they look good and not fake.

100 percent this, when I got married over 15 yrs ago, we were just out of school, I would have missed out on a life time of mostly highs and some lows as with every marriage with the most wonderful man, if I had insisted on a diamond ring to show how much he 'appreciated' me then. We lucky to have a life where we can splurge on certain things if we wanted. So what I am teaching my children is as good as it is to get and give gifts, that does not show the value some one has for you.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Wow this thread has taken a fiery turn. Lots of emotions people probably need to unpack off forum.

I can’t resist chiming in on the mined/MMD e-ring tangent: An engagement ring is a symbol. For many people it’s romantic gesture, a pretty object to symbolize their love. For many others there’s the traditional bride price element in there too. I think if both partners are on the same page about what this symbol means in their relationship it sounds like the start of a healthy partnership whatever the stone/meaning is. It seems like the heart of the disagreement/pain when women receive a non-mined diamond ring and are upset as we see referenced on other threads “is this all I’m worth? Why couldn’t he just be honest?” Is really a disagreement about what this symbol is and a worrisome lack of communication.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. Mmd diamonds prices have been falling dramatically. We’ve already seen that. They are not stable. This thread is about speculation. Nothing more. When I upgraded my stone, going for a mmd would not have saved me that much money—especially given that i traded up my mined and i was locked in with that dealer. I’m sure he would have gladly taken my mined and saved me a few thousand but the risk of the potential depreciation wasn’t worth it to me. So please stop with your status symbol theories. But since you bring up that theory— is that that why you buy mmd over mined? Because they cost less and You can appear as if you have a status symbol that you otherwise wouldn’t pay for ? Is this why my thread is so jarring to posters in this forum? After all, many who come to this forum love to brag about the thousands that they saved and how smart they are with their money yet end up with the same product as those who have mined and paid more. Guess my speculation seems to undervalue mmd. But like I said, isn’t that what you all have been trying to do for mined diamonds? Essentially telling everyone who owns mined hat you are way savvier with your money? Looks like the fear that the tables will turn is bringing out the best in people, lol. I expect others will chime in to attack me shortly, since the day is young.

As to the values that I pass on to my daughter, she knows that I appreciate jewelry. She knows that I don’t shop retail for it but I take pride in finding great deals, diamonds in the rough, so to speak. So she has learned to appreciate a good piece of jewelry. I hope that when the time comes she appreciates herself enough to know that she Deserves what she is worth—and since she drools over some of my pieces—she has already formed opinions. So if she asks me My opinion when the times comes, I will give it to her. But she is 22 and I’m sure that if she would be having conversations about a ring right now, she would be asking me for help. But I do appreciate that you tried to mom shame me...ugh.

Do you have a specific source for the claim that mmd has been falling? It definitely has been falling but not more so than the price of mined diamonds. I bet all these “classless” mmd buyers would love to know where to get a 5ct D VVS1 Ideal Cut Round for 5k ;-)

My status symbol theory was to understand why you are so opposed of the idea of a mmd engagement ring for your dd?
I don’t buy mmd over mined? Where did you read that?
I found your post a bit ignorant to all the people who maybe have a different opinion than you on engagement rings and how it could hurt their feelings.
the fear? God we are talking about diamonds. There shouldn’t be any fear in diamonds. Why isn’t it possible to just say there are Beautiful mined diamonds and beautiful man made diamonds? Why does one have to be superior to the other?
You just said that your daughter is only worth a mined diamond - shaming all the women who have received an engagement ring that isn’t in your eyes “as good as a mined diamond”.
If I mom shamed you I want to apologize. I just really felt triggered by your words. My mother has all these (irrelevant) expectations around marriage/ engagement that it almost led to my dh and me breaking up, because I thought for his love to be real he should be doing “this and that” and buying me at least a 20k ring and a big wedding.

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a specific source for the claim that mmd has been falling? It definitely has been falling but not more so than the price of mined diamonds. I bet all these “classless” mmd buyers would love to know where to get a 5ct D VVS1 Ideal Cut Round for 5k ;-)

My status symbol theory was to understand why you are so opposed of the idea of a mmd engagement ring for your dd?
I don’t buy mmd over mined? Where did you read that?
I found your post a bit ignorant to all the people who maybe have a different opinion than you on engagement rings and how it could hurt their feelings.
the fear? God we are talking about diamonds. There shouldn’t be any fear in diamonds. Why isn’t it possible to just say there are Beautiful mined diamonds and beautiful man made diamonds? Why does one have to be superior to the other?
You just said that your daughter is only worth a mined diamond - shaming all the women who have received an engagement ring that isn’t in your eyes “as good as a mined diamond”.

Please stop twisting my words. I’m done. I should not have indulged you in a response in the first place after your attempts to mom shame me and insult me. Do yourself a favor and put me on ignore but this forum is open to all and I won’t let anyone censor me. Have a great life!

Last edited:

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i think mmds are beautiful and are a great way to represent a love shared by two people, or for yourself.

i think that choosing mmds is a very personal choice based on any number of circumstances that may not have to do with being able to afford or not afford earth mined diamonds.

i think there is enough room for the admiration of mmds as well earthmined.

i think that "worth" and "value" are highly subjective. and to equate a love shared with worth or value, as it relates to diamonds, is rather misplaced

Last edited:

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Do you have a specific source for the claim that mmd has been falling? It definitely has been falling but not more so than the price of mined diamonds.
GIA official website:

Laboratory-Grown Diamonds: Demand Rises, Prices Fall

A new report says demand for lab-grown diamonds has experienced “significant growth” from attractive marketing, but that prices for such goods have declined 70% in the past two years

Nature diamonds price report

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So prices are down 70% and that's a bad thing? lol

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
So prices are down 70% and that's a bad thing? lol

I posted "the specific source for the claim that mmd has been falling" because it is asked!

Buy what you like and have enough $ to buy ! You know yourself 70% drop is agood or a bad thing!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
GIA official website:

A new report says demand for lab-grown diamonds has experienced “significant growth” from attractive marketing, but that prices for such goods have declined 70% in the past two years

That article is quoted so often around here without scrutiny, but it’s over a year and a half old, and the two-year period of 70% decline is the year before and the year after Lightbox released. Not current information, and the drop was strongly exaggerated by LB pricing even though LB offerings are limited (mostly under 1ct, limited quantities, not many fancy cuts).

Lab grown prices have definitely declined, but if you have a real-world source (beyond the limited LB) to support that 70% price drop claim please post it so we can shop!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
diamonds go up in price, diamonds come down in price. regardless, if it is mmd or earth mined.

just because mmds (may) have gone down in price does not lessen their symbolic significance between a couple nor their beauty. that is not reason to disparage and denigrate the product or those that choose to wear it. actually, there is no reason to demean, belittle, taunt and provoke

most earth mined diamonds, bought and sold are not of investment or collector grade.

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sure that prices have dropped in two years but that was before they took off. One reason they are selling so well is because they have dropped. Another is good marketing the last few months. Most of us got in in the last few months so we havnt lost anything. If it goes down another 70%, yay! I won’t be out much and I can upgrade again!
Hi BFF!

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
GIA official website:

Bring it on....I want more play jewellery :mrgreen2:

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
And I'm 180 degrees opposite.

You know who is more 'right'?

Neither of us.

Well said. There is no right in matters of personal taste.

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Bring it on....I want more play jewellery :mrgreen2:

Some one bought a fake Rolex watch on street then the price of that fake watch drops 70% . Is that a good or a bad thing?

If that one bought a genuine Rolex , then the price drops 70%, is that a good thing that he/she will buy more ? Who knows!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
And I'm 180 degrees opposite.

You know who is more 'right'?

Neither of us.

I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner
But when i buy my MMD thanls to people like @Garry H (Cut Nut) ill be buying it with my eyes open and purley for my own etntitlement
If someone was so rude as to ask me if its real i have no problems telling them its lab grown - but that its still a diamond

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big difference between a fake Rolex and a lab diamond. One is a fake and the other is not. A fake Rolex us usually has cheap parts. MMD have identical parts. If I could get a Rolex for 70% off I might buy one. Who knows? I prefer my Apple Watch.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Some one bought a fake Rolex watch on street then the price of that fake watch drops 70% . Is that a good or a bad thing?

If that one bought a genuine Rolex , then the price drops 70%, is that a good thing that he/she will buy more ? Who knows!

I think different people will have a different view. I would love for MMD’s to be available relatively cheaply compared to earth mined diamonds, not because I value one over the other, but simply because it would mean that I can afford more pieces of jewellery. It’s just more fun for me personally. Not everyone feels the same as I do. I know plenty of people who own and wear barely any jewellery as it just isn’t their ‘thing’. I don’t buy jewellery as an investment, it’s purely for my own pleasure. I haven’t ventured into MMD territory yet because they aren’t cheap enough for me yet.

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Big difference between a fake Rolex and a lab diamond. One is a fake and the other is not. A fake Rolex us usually has cheap parts. MMD have identical parts. If I could get a Rolex for 70% off I might buy one. Who knows? I prefer my Apple Watch.

Pls read my post. I did not compare a MMD to a fake Rolex! Subconsciously people does.

How ever, there are already super fake or super replica Rolex watches that use real gold ! And a genuine Rolex never uses MMD of course!

Again, moissanites sparkle more and ... cheaper than both nature and lab grown diamonds

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results