shape
carat
color
clarity

K color stones in Platinum/WG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Is there a thread already dedicated to this? I couldn''t find one. If not I think we should start a thread for people to post their K color diamonds. I know there are quite a few K color stones out there, and even some in the J color thread. But I think K''s need a thread of their own! Show them off!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great idea sunkist!!! I know there is Mrs Jam''s fab 2.56 and Nan''s too!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''re right Garry, this K looks HORRIBLE in white metals.
2.gif

Mrs. Jam''s GOG 2.56 K in a MM setting.

mrs jams k.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

mrs jams side view.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing wrong with K, as long as one known what to expect from them. And near 2 cts, that is a vintage sort of white. Anyway, K is a long leg of color grade - perhaps some would be less tinted than others. And who knows, some folks like these colors for what they are. The ring in the picture has quite a bit going for it ! Not hard to like it at all K or no K.
2.gif

Date: 4/19/2006 1:35:41 AM
Author: Mara

Mrs. Jam's GOG 2.56 K in a MM setting.
That is an adorable picture... but, just a picture. It don't think it is worked on in any way, lighting would do the trick well enough.

All in all, I doubt that such faint shades of color get a fair reprensetation online. Popular support shows fairly well though (thinking of the long thread about the Js)
5.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Here is SevensOne 2ct K SI1 in white gold

sevensk.jpg

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my Expert Selection Ideal Cut .948 K SI1 in a shared prong, half eternity set from Whiteflash:

JellySetWebA.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Jelly, that set is GORGEOUS!
30.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I'd buy another K, SI1 in a heartbeat if it was ideal cut and graded by a reputable lab. I wish Whiteflash and other PS vendors would carry lower color stones. They are quite a deal!

Another:

JellyRing2WebA.jpg

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful Jelly!!

Here''s another pic of Seven''s K. And here her link. Seven''s your ring is beautiful!LINK

sevensk2.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Lighting can make a bright yellow stone look icy white...just use a flash. I would not use PS photos to try and approximate color, K stones are "faint yellow" for a reason. But if you dont mind the extra warmth they can be a great buy!

wfkpendenttentsomewhatvisable.JPG

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
If money was no object, I''d buy a D IF, but realistically people have budgets they need to stick to. K''s are a great option and are worth considering.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
From what I have seen, just like J's......K's have their charm too and as the next color on the chart, I don't see much difference between a well-cut J and a well-cut K. Maybe in larger stone sizes but even then some of the K's we see on here look 'white' AND their owners tend to agree. I think that over time K's will be just as acceptable as J's have become in the last 2-3 years on here...and we'll see more of them, esp if diamond prices continue to climb!

I also find the 'faint yellow' terminology for the K to be kind of misleading. How is it that J's are near colorless but K is faint yellow? It's just such a jump.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2006 2:30:06 AM
Author: Mara
From what I have seen, just like J''s......K''s have their charm too and as the next color on the chart, I don''t see much difference between a well-cut J and a well-cut K. Maybe in larger stone sizes but even then some of the K''s we see on here look ''white'' AND their owners tend to agree. I think that over time K''s will be just as acceptable as J''s have become in the last 2-3 years on here...and we''ll see more of them, esp if diamond prices continue to climb!

I also find the ''faint yellow'' terminology for the K to be kind of misleading. How is it that J''s are near colorless but K is faint yellow? It''s just such a jump.

I agree Mara. I haven''t been able to see much of a difference in general between the J''s and the K''s here on PS. A great cut will give an exceptional K, in my opinion!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
''Faint yellow'' ... right... It isn''t very easy for me to tell what color is there unless these guys are real'' big!

... which reminds me: there were a couple of large ''top light brown'' stud earring pairs lately (3-4 carats, from Pearlman''s). Can anyone find them?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I have seen K colored stones that have tint and some not. I have read recently about secondary hues, and maybe this has something to do with how intense the warmth appears (yellow, brown, or gray tones).

My SIL has a K. Originally she had it in a braided tricolor gold setting, and I never saw a hint of warmth. It looked very white to me. After nearly 20 years of marriage, she decided on a vintage look platinum with milgraining. The warmth of her K was immediatly aparent, but in combination with her new setting, it''s absolutely beautiful.

Buying a K stone is perfectly fine as long as you realize what you are getting. It is not going to look like a D no matter how you slice it. We all make compromises in our purchases, and I see nothing wrong with going to K if it suits your needs. A well-cut K will outsparkle a poorly cut D anyday. Just my 2 cents.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something was missing.... 4 cts EC...
38.gif

Wish there were some old cuts - it should be just a matter of tatste, but these looks so much nicer with some color in them (fancy doesn''t hurt either!).

Threre''s one M answering the call, of course, and quite a charmer
10.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Dont forget FFF's Wabi Sabi it is a stunner in person!
30.gif
2.21 M/SI1 OMC

fffjennsring.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my OEC on the left--it''s a K/L, said the appraiser, who was looking at it mounted. He thought it was more likely an L.

On my middle finger is my F/G (probably an F, he said) transition cut.

In real life, the OEC looks a bit warmer than this picture and the transition looks a bit whiter.

(They were my grandmothers''. The OEC is from 1921--at least, that''s when Grandma got it--and the transition from 1929.)

grandmotherrings6.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I took some more pictures, hoping to get a better shot of the color difference. The one with the haloed marquise sidestones is the F and the one with the pave sides is the L.

grandmarings7.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Another.

grandmarings8.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Last one. This is why I love my OEC.

grandmarings9.jpg

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Well, I owned a 2+ carot vs2 (clarity was important, as well as color) F EC and traded up to my 2+ carot vvs2 (happenend to be the clarity-didn't search specifically) K emerald shaped Princess. I've owned round brilliants, one was a D. Personally, I think my K diamond has the best cut (which affects color, brilliance, overall performance) of any diamond I have ever owned (and I've owned an "ideal" rb) or seen and subsequently the winner. Yes, the F cost a lot less, and with the extra money I turned around and bought a necklace and bracelet. I would not trade my specific K for another K thought, because I've seen some dud K's. I happened to find an excellent one. For that matter, there are dud D through F's. Ya know?
1.gif

Edited to add--oops! I meant the K cost a lot less. Oh, and I have it in a platinum setting. I think the patina on the plat adds a flattering tint to the stone. Also, I have nohing against EC's--I love love them. I just worked my way toward this K like it was waiting for me to find it all its life. It just spoke to me.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2006 11:57:29 AM
Author: glitterata
Last one. This is why I love my OEC.
30.gif
That is a stunning shot, please post it in the gallery.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Matatora! Just did.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always admired your rings Glitterata and those are superb shots of them!
36.gif
36.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That picture Matatora posted of her pendant comes closest to capturing the color I often see in my L.

I sometimes think of resetting it in rose gold for that reason.

I also think J-L''s look good in slightly yellowish white gold without the rhodium plating.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results