shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of these studs...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock

So I''ve been browing around... looking at pendants, earrings, etc and haven''t really found anything thats really appealing to me. I kind of decided that I wanted diamonds studs but then realized that the size that I wanted was honestly out of my price range. I wanted something around 1.7cttw-2.0cttw and my budget was about $2000...not going to happen... I know, LOL! I tried on a pair of 1.2cttw and I just didn''t think that that size was "worth" it... if I was going to spend any I wanted something that I''d really want.

So I found these at Pearlmans.... Item: 055CO2 - A rare set :) of coffee colored :) to sound good, technically top light brown color in P1 (promotional) clarity in 14kt white gold setting. You won''t believe it but these are pretty if you like this color. 3.17ct total weight

I''m absolutely fine with the color. I''m not sure about the clarity... for the price ($2000) I don''t expect much but I would like them to sparkle. Possibly recut them down the road... I''m not sure. Do you think I''m absolutely crazy?!? I may want to reset them into something a bit more antique looking and also in YG....

I''m going to try to attach a picture... be patient with me. I''d really like some feedback

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I was misled by the topic. Call the road crews!!My mind fell into the gutter and I can''t get it out!!!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I was hoping for some beefcake too. I''ll settle for the pictures when you get them up though.
2.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I would call and talk to Bill. He will be honest with you about the earrings.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I honestly can't think anything without seeing them against a white background. They're mounted on a tan holder, and while the color looks nice on the website, I personally wouldn't know if I liked the color unless I saw them against a white background.

Now, your ear of course is not a white background, but the question is, how would the color show up there? I'd ask him for shots if possible (1) on a white piece of paper and (2) on an earlobe. Then I could tell you what I think.....and you'd probably know what you think.
2.gif
But that carat weight for the price is a steal if you end up dealing with the color okay.

ETA: I'm a total dope and I reread your post and saw your main concern was the clarity. P1 as far as I have ever seen it is Pique 1 clarity (not promotional), which is a nice way of saying I1. This could be okay, especially as earrings since they're not viewed as close as a ring would be. I'd definitely talk to Bill and find out what the grade making inclusions are, and how noticeable they are.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry ladies... no beefcakes in this thread! LOL!

I did email Pearlmans and basically asked about the clarity... the response was that they were still very sparkly but you could see a few inclusions without a loupe. I got an additional picture but I''m not so sure how to post... I''ll attach the photo and then insert it into the post... or atleast thats how I think I do it.
bigstuds.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any chance he could turn those babies around and take a pic so you can see how prominent the inclusions are???
emotion-40.gif
That would make up your mind pretty quick I think. Fairly close up ear shots would be even better...as nobody''s gonna be looking at them THAT closely!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
The only other pic he sent me was the one on the Pearlmans website. I''ve emailed him with some additional questions and we''ll see. Their return policy seems legit so I''m considering purchasing and then returning if they''re not satisfactory. With those kind of stats I don''t think that pictures can really tell the whole truth... when things are GIA AGS etc graded you can get a pretty good idea of what you''re purchasing but without that... pictures just don''t tell the entire truth.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2006 4:19:36 PM
Author: MissPrudential
The only other pic he sent me was the one on the Pearlmans website. I''ve emailed him with some additional questions and we''ll see. Their return policy seems legit so I''m considering purchasing and then returning if they''re not satisfactory. With those kind of stats I don''t think that pictures can really tell the whole truth... when things are GIA AGS etc graded you can get a pretty good idea of what you''re purchasing but without that... pictures just don''t tell the entire truth.
True dat. If you''re still down with the color, and the return policy is okay, it wouldn''t hurt to check them out...cuz you''re never gonna find that ctw in earrings at that price!!! If you do buy, please post pics - I''d love to see how those big rocks look on an earlobe.
23.gif
1.gif

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
This is what Bill Pearlman said about the clarity... "One diamond has a slight nick in the girdle and the main
inclusion is a feather( Cleavage) extending from the girdle to 1/3 of the way into the table. The other has a few non visible black inclusions but the main inclusion is a cleavage, feather, extending from the girdle to the crown facets in two places. The cut grades are very nice with 57 /58 tables."

... I think I''m going to order them tomorrow. Yikes! LOL
9.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2006 2:12:45 PM
Author: orbaya
If you decide you want beautiful studs that are white in color, why not go with a pair of WF''s ready-to-go earrings? Even though you can''t get the size you want now, you could upgrade them later on until you get the desired size.

You can get a nice pair set in white or yellow gold for $2100 at 1.00cttw. They will be beautifully cut and sparkle like crazy!
http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=WFER-4R-Set&CategID=54
I don''t know for sure if this is right or not, but I saw on another post that the Ready Set Go earrings cannot be upgraded. I wish I would have known that, but I wanted to let anyone else know that is considering buying these earrings.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2006 8:34:03 AM
Author: coda72

If you decide you want beautiful studs that are white in color, why not go with a pair of WF''s ready-to-go earrings? Even though you can''t get the size you want now, you could upgrade them later on until you get the desired size.

You can get a nice pair set in white or yellow gold for $2100 at 1.00cttw. They will be beautifully cut and sparkle like crazy!
http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=WFER-4R-Set&CategID=54
I don''t know for sure if this is right or not, but I saw on another post that the Ready Set Go earrings cannot be upgraded. I wish I would have known that, but I wanted to let anyone else know that is considering buying these earrings.
Yes, WF told me the same thing.

Let us know how you like the earrings--can''t wait to see ear shots!
1.gif

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
They''ve been ordered! I''ll get them tomorrow and hopefully they''ll be great! LOL
9.gif

Thanks for all the responses...
37.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 11:00:37 AM
They''ve been ordered! I''ll get them tomorrow and hopefully they''ll be great! LOL
9.gif

Thanks for all the responses...
37.gif

hehe, I wasn''t following this thread and just linked those over in jewelry pieces. I''m so glad you''re going to try them out. there are a few pairs on there I''ve been keeping my eyes on because the prices are so great and for earring you can get by with so much
27.gif
.. Please post pics and let us know what you think. Those things are going to be HUGE..

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see them! Post pics for sure.....though I can probably see them from here w/o the pics!!
3.gif
2.gif

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
LOL... stop saying how HUGE they''re going to be. I think they''ll be a reasonable size...

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for mentioning that. I wonder why they can''t be upgraded.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 1:14:47 PM

If that''s true, it really needs to be clear on their website, and it isn''t now.

The trade-up policy specifies that it doesn''t apply to EGL diamonds only; as written, there is nothing to indicate RSG earrings couldn''t be traded up.

This really should be addressed by WF.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 1:31:34 PM
Author: aljdewey

If that''s true, it really needs to be clear on their website, and it isn''t now.

The trade-up policy specifies that it doesn''t apply to EGL diamonds only; as written, there is nothing to indicate RSG earrings couldn''t be traded up.

I haven''t talked to WF yet, but my guess as to why they can''t be upgraded is because they don''t come with any report at all. Since that is the case, WF doesn''t want to take back diamonds without a report. I didn''t really think about that when I asked for these earrings for Christmas, but if I would have realized that they can''t be upgraded, I would have gone with diamonds that can be.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

If you decide you want beautiful studs that are white in color, why not go with a pair of WF's ready-to-go earrings? Even though you can't get the size you want now, you could upgrade them later on until you get the desired size.

I don't know for sure if this is right or not, but I saw on another post that the Ready Set Go earrings cannot be upgraded. I wish I would have known that, but I wanted to let anyone else know that is considering buying these earrings.
Thanks for mentioning that. I wonder why they can't be upgraded.
If that's true, it really needs to be clear on their website, and it isn't now.

The trade-up policy specifies that it doesn't apply to EGL diamonds only; as written, there is nothing to indicate RSG earrings couldn't be traded up.

i could see how this might be confusing, but to me, it's just like buying any other pre-assembled piece of jewelry, like a rhr or a bracelet. we don't expect to 'upgrade' those. sometimes i think we get carried away with the idea of upgrading and try to take advantage of a pretty sweet situation. not every piece of diamond jewelry bought from a vendor is, or even should be, 'upgrade-able'.

congrats on your purchase mp!
36.gif
can't wait to see them!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 1:43:14 PM
Author: belle
i could see how this might be confusing, but to me, it''s just like buying any other pre-assembled piece of jewelry, like a rhr or a bracelet. we don''t expect to ''upgrade'' those. sometimes i think we get carried away with the idea of upgrading and try to take advantage of a pretty sweet situation. not every piece of diamond jewelry bought from a vendor is, or even should be, ''upgrade-able''.

36.gif
can''t wait to see them!
Sorry to hijack this thread again, but I think the issue is trading in the diamonds, not the settings. If I would have gotten ACA diamond earrings, I would be able to trade those in on bigger diamonds, of course paying for a new setting. I''m not sure why I can''t just trade these diamonds in to get bigger diamonds, again paying for the setting. I guess the whole issue is in the report or lack thereof, at least that''s what I''m thinking.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 2:14:47 PM

i could see how this might be confusing, but to me, it's just like buying any other pre-assembled piece of jewelry, like a rhr or a bracelet. we don't expect to 'upgrade' those. sometimes i think we get carried away with the idea of upgrading and try to take advantage of a pretty sweet situation. not every piece of diamond jewelry bought from a vendor is, or even should be, 'upgrade-able'.

36.gif
can't wait to see them!
Sorry to hijack this thread again, but I think the issue is trading in the diamonds, not the settings. If I would have gotten ACA diamond earrings, I would be able to trade those in on bigger diamonds, of course paying for a new setting. I'm not sure why I can't just trade these diamonds in to get bigger diamonds, again paying for the setting. I guess the whole issue is in the report or lack thereof, at least that's what I'm thinking.
yes, please excuse the hijack!
20.gif

i know exactly what you are saying coda. i was just making the point that we shouldn't assume that anything that comes with diamonds from a vendor that offers upgrades is subject to the policy. it is one thing if you go through the trouble of selecting your own loose diamond (or two) for purchase and then have them set in whatever piece of jewelry you decide upon. basically, you have bought a diamond (or two) for which you may or may not set. for those diamonds, the upgrade policy obviously applies. for all other jewelry purchases in which you did not pick out the diamond, there is no upgrade option. it's a pre-assembled piece of jewelery that happens to have diamonds in it. in this case, the difference between picking your own diamonds (that are graded and upgrade-able) and the rsg earrings is reflected in the price. you have the benefit of convenience but not the grading report and therefore no upgrade option.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

i could see how this might be confusing, but to me, it''s just like buying any other pre-assembled piece of jewelry, like a rhr or a bracelet. we don''t expect to ''upgrade'' those. sometimes i think we get carried away with the idea of upgrading and try to take advantage of a pretty sweet situation. not every piece of diamond jewelry bought from a vendor is, or even should be, ''upgrade-able''.
I understand what you''re saying, but I don''t think earrings are quite the same. It doesn''t make a lot of sense to unset a bracelet, but it''s not much to unset earrings. Also, in the case of a bracelet or RHR, a good portion of the cost is metal, so it''s not usually worthwhile for folks to consider unsetting and returning just the diamonds. Again, not the case with earrings.

I think you guys are missing my point, though. I''m not taking issue with their practices, and I''m not saying they should be upgradable. I''m saying that the trade-up policy as it reads today does not specifically exclude RSG earrings from trade-up eligibility. (BTW, Coda, good point that RSG diamonds are uncerted, but this language doesn''t say that the diamond(s) had to be certed.....only that it must be accompanied by it''s original certificate (which could be interpreted to mean ''if it had one'').

More to the point, it doesn''t specify "certified diamond" (although the implication is there), nor does it say that RGS don''t qualify. It simply says "your diamond".

I think it would be clearer to make the following amendments (shown in red).

Lifetime Trade Up
At any point after you have purchased an AGS- or GIA-graded diamond from Whiteflash.com, you may contact us to trade up your diamond.
The trade up value will be for the full purchase amount.
Diamond needs to be in its original undamaged condition and accompanied by its original certificate.
If original certificate has been misplaced, there is a $200 re-certification charge.
Diamonds accompanied by certificates other than AGS/GIA or those sold as preassembled pieces (such as bracelets, pendant, or Ready-Set-Go earrings) do not qualify for our one year buy-back or lifetime trade-up policies.
Setting and applicable charges may apply.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 3:49:51 PM

If that's true, it really needs to be clear on their website, and it isn't now.

The trade-up policy specifies that it doesn't apply to EGL diamonds only; as written, there is nothing to indicate RSG earrings couldn't be traded up.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think earrings are quite the same. It doesn't make a lot of sense to unset a bracelet, but it's not much to unset earrings. Also, in the case of a bracelet or RHR, a good portion of the cost is metal, so it's not usually worthwhile for folks to consider unsetting and returning just the diamonds. Again, not the case with earrings.

I think you guys are missing my point, though. I'm not taking issue with their practices, and I'm not saying they should be upgradable. I'm saying that the trade-up policy as it reads today does not specifically exclude RSG earrings from trade-up eligibility. (BTW, Coda, good point that RSG diamonds are uncerted, but this language doesn't say that the diamond(s) had to be certed.....only that it must be accompanied by it's original certificate (which could be interpreted to mean 'if it had one').

More to the point, it doesn't specify 'certified diamond' (although the implication is there), nor does it say that RGS don't qualify. It simply says 'your diamond'.

I think it would be clearer to make the following amendments (shown in red).

Lifetime Trade Up
At any point after you have purchased an AGS- or GIA-graded diamond from Whiteflash.com, you may contact us to trade up your diamond.
The trade up value will be for the full purchase amount.
Diamond needs to be in its original undamaged condition and accompanied by its original certificate.
If original certificate has been misplaced, there is a $200 re-certification charge.
Diamonds accompanied by certificates other than AGS/GIA or those sold as preassembled pieces (such as bracelets, pendant, or Ready-Set-Go earrings) do not qualify for our one year buy-back or lifetime trade-up policies.
Setting and applicable charges may apply.
i just didn't think it needed to be spelled out in the policy. if you are buying loose diamonds, under wf policy, they are upgrade-able. you are only buying the diamond(s) and the grading report that comes with them. if you are buying anything else, you are buying jewelry (that may happen to include diamonds) and the conveniences that come with it. it is not about the complexity of setting and unsetting. to exclude ready-set-go earrings from the pre-made, un-graded, non-returnable jewelry category is extremely presumptuous.
i consider you a pretty reasonable person alj, but if you need this spelled out in the policy, maybe wf should consider it since others may be thinking the same thing.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 2:43:32 PM

i was just making the point that we shouldn''t assume that anything that comes with diamonds from a vendor that offers upgrades is subject to the policy. it is one thing if you go through the trouble of selecting your own loose diamond (or two) for purchase and then have them set in whatever piece of jewelry you decide upon. basically, you have bought a diamond (or two) for which you may or may not set. for those diamonds, the upgrade policy obviously applies. for all other jewelry purchases in which you did not pick out the diamond, there is no upgrade option. it''s a pre-assembled piece of jewelery that happens to have diamonds in it. in this case, the difference between picking your own diamonds (that are graded and upgrade-able) and the rsg earrings is reflected in the price. you have the benefit of convenience but not the grading report and therefore no upgrade option.
For that matter, we shouldn''t assume at all. We shouldn''t assume they are eligible, and we shouldn''t assume they aren''t. We should be able to easily discern that, and that was my point.....that a clearer policy would avoid misinterpretations, and avoiding misinterpretations always leads to happier clients.

Again, I''m not disagreeing with the fact that preassembled shouldn''t be eligible for trade-up. I''m just saying that clearer language would avoid customer disappointment.
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 4:10:35 PM

i just didn''t think it needed to be spelled out in the policy. if you are buying loose diamonds, under wf policy, they are upgrade-able. you are only buying the diamond(s) and the grading report that comes with them. if you are buying anything else, you are buying jewelry (that may happen to include diamonds) and the conveniences that come with it. it is not about the complexity of setting and unsetting. to exclude ready-set-go earrings from the pre-made, un-graded, non-returnable jewelry category is extremely presumptuous.
i consider you a pretty reasonable person alj, but if you need this spelled out in the policy, maybe wf should consider it since others may be thinking the same thing.
I personally don''t need it spelled out, Belle, but I can see where folks who aren''t as familiar with WF as you or I are could overlook that. Especially when they are new here, and especially when so many posts talk about "WF upgrade". It''s conceivable to me that folks with less experience may not realize that RSG earrings (a Whiteflash creation) are considered "pre-assembled" , and Coda is a perfect case in point on that.

She''s been here more than a year, and she didn''t know RSG earrings weren''t eligible. She''s not saying she *assumed* they were eligible; just that she didn''t realize they weren''t. There''s a difference. Had she known that at the time, it''s likely she still would have selected them because, as you point out, they are an incredible value (and that''s because they are RSG with no cert costs), but she would have done so with the knowledge that they aren''t eligible.

Also, consider that most folks'' jewelry experience is limited to the chains, and those chains DO allow trade-ups on "pre-assembled" earrings. I''ve never seen this on pendants or bracelets, but all of the chains allow trade-up on classic studs, so the general public tends to perceive those differently than other pre-assembled jewelry.

Honestly, I''d expect to pay a setting fee to a jeweler too, but I think it was a smart move for WF to add "setting and shipping charges may apply" to their policy. Why leave something to assumption when you could *easily* address it?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
fair enough alj.
2.gif
i''m sure wf and other vendors have some things to consider now.

shall we give missprudential her thread back?
28.gif

can''t wait to see your earrings mp!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see them either MP!!!
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 1:09:48 PM
LOL... stop saying how HUGE they''re going to be. I think they''ll be a reasonable size...
Ooooooooooooookay, sure.....if you say so.
2.gif
Reasonable to me, for sure. Reasonable to the people whose planets you''re wearing on your ears...not so much.
2.gif
KIDDING!!! They''re going to be fab.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results