shape
carat
color
clarity

"Just Barely" Pregnant PS''ers

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

HOU -- I posted something to you on the other thread, but you probably read it as well. Are you going to have them check the gender at the NT scan??? How exciting! It will be here before you know it!

Bliss -- I love your dress! I can see your little tiny bump better in the white dress, but it's barely there. Be patient...you will long for these days before belly after the baby comes! Everyone tells me that! EIther way, you look great! I love my little belly. I pet it a lot. :cheeky:

Husky -- Only a short while until your first appointment!!! I hope they do an ultrasound!

Catluver -- are you and your DH announcing your pregnancy to the inlaws this weekend?

ETA dcgator -- I'm the other one from Houston, but I also went to San Antonio for my undergrad (Trinity University). I LOVED SA. Lots of people were "meh" about it. It's a great place if you have a DH, which you do, bc it's not a young single person city. It's a great family city with a lot to do. And you are really close to Austin and the Hill Country like HOU said, and just 2 hours from border towns in Mexico, which were fun before the crime got out of control. It's really pretty there (SA) but super hot! And by the way, I'm pulling for you BIG TIME this cycle! I hope you get a BFP!!!!!!! You deserve it!

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Similar to Husky Lover's curiousities, I am wondering if anyone could share what their first appointment was like. Specifically, how long it took for you to get your blood work back with your levels?

I have what my OB calls an "intake" appointment on Tuesday and I will be about 6 weeks (according to the date of my last period). It was briefly explained to me that they will do the initial bloodwork and a complete family history at this appointment. Based on our family histories, they will help to guide me towards what testing to have performed throughout the pregnancy. On July 20th I will meet with my OB to begin planning the pregnancy out in full detail. I assume I may get an ultrasound (either abdominal or transvaginal) at my 7/20 appointment but will ask the intake nurse at my 7/13 appointment if this is the case. 7 weeks feels too soon for an ultrasound - but I have no idea really!

Now, please don't take this as me being negative in any manner but I am trying not to get caught up in the excitement until I hear what my levels are. I feel like that will be the first true confirmation of where I stand in terms of this pregnancy. Naturally I am focused on those results and those results only right now. When I had my pre-conception testing it took weeks to get the results back. I presume this was because half the testing was sent to a specialized genetic testing lab. I'm really curious what others experiences have been. Additionally, how may weeks were you before you got your first glimpse inside the belly?

Thanks!!

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
10 weeks 6 days

KTF - My first appt for my first pregnancy and for this pregnancy were different, and my experience may be different from yours because of what happened with my first pregnancy. For my first pregnancy, my first appt was at 7 weeks 3 days or so. I was roomed and the doctor came in, wheeled an ultrasound in, and pretty much immediately scanned me. She spent a long time looking, since the baby was too small and the heart rate too slow. She then sent me for my lab work (HCG and progesterone) and ended up calling me the next day with the results, since she knew I was worried after the ultrasound. I never ended up doing the big blood draw where they send about 6 tubes for various different tests, since the pregnancy failed.

This time around, I started having blood draws the day after I had my first positive pee stick. I think I had about 3 different blood draws before my first real appt (since she wanted to follow my HCG and progesterone closely, with my history of miscarriage). My first appt with the doc was at 5w6d, and that's when I had my first ultrasound this time. I had another ultrasound/dr appt at 7w4d, and another at 9w3d. They did my "big" blood draw at the 5w6d appt.

As I understand it, most docs typically see you for the first time anywhere between 7-11 weeks or so. As far as whether or not they ultrasound you at that first appt, it just depends on their individual style. Some prefer to confirm the viability of the pregnancy; some are OK with waiting. If you have strong feelings either way about wanting a scan or about wanting to wait, you should definitely ask and express your desire. Even if the doc doesn't usually ultrasound early, if you're nervous and you want one to make sure all is well, then you should let them know, and hopefully they'll do it for you! As far as how long your labs will take to come back...it depends on what they send. Typically HCG and progesterone come back within a day or two, but some of the other stuff may take longer. Ask when you go, and ask if you can expect a phone call or if you should call to ask for your results.

7 weeks isn't too early for an ultrasound...you can almost always see a fetal pole with a good heartbeat at 7 weeks.

Lanie - Saw your other message and replied on the other thread, LOL! We've got two convos going! If it's covered by insurance and/or doesn't cost too much extra, I'm going to do the Jack and Jill!! Did it cost extra for you?? If so, do you mind me asking how much?

Husky - yup, you'll have a cute little gummy bear in no time at all!! :) I hate to break it to you, but the sheer exhaustion sticks around for awhile. LOL. 11 weeks tomorrow, and still ready to collapse at the end of the day. But sometimes I see shadows of the second tri on the horizon....I'm hoping it's all it's rumored to be! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good Dr's visit for you! Like I told KTF above, you can always ask about getting an ultrasound if you're worried and want one...the worst they can say is, no, we don't do them this early.

CatLuver - glad to hear you're hanging in there!! Ugh, heat and smells have been two of my least favorite things during the 1st tri. And Houston is damn hot this time of year!! Luckily I'm indoors all day, just have to get from my car into the hospital and back out again at the end of the day. I would love to go for walks outside, but I just can't do it right now. I am, however, logging some treadmill time at the gym now that my MS is easing up a bit. Feels good to exercise again!!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hello Pretty Ladies

Hello Pretty Preggo! :appl:

*PS rant*
Boy, I miss the old PS. The format made it so much easier to reply to everyone. Now, I have to open a whole new window so I can see and respond to individual posters. It's so far down the page that scrolling down, responding...then scrolling up to type...then scrolling down to the next post to respond... is a lot of work! Bring back the old PS! It was so much more functional.
*PS rant over*

GERI!!! So glad to hear you are doing well! Your little baby is a kicker, eh? You must be so happy and relieved. What a nice strong heartbeat, too! Ahhhhh, it is just so wonderful. I can't believe we're all here again and thriving! Hope for us all - is indeed alive and well!

Hello Steal! Thinking of you!

CDinNYC, so many of us care about you and are sending you positive thoughts and prayers. Don't hesitate to lean on us if you need a sounding board. And I hope to see you back here soon when you are ready.

Lynnie!!!!!! How are you doing??? Wellinsm, it's good to hear from you!

Somethingshiny!!!! 7 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG OMG! You must be so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, what a blessing to be in the home stretch! Wow, time flies!!!! Thank you so much, I feel very alien in my new body! But I am looking forward to all the changes and hope be where you are, too!!!

Noelwr!!!! How are you???? Ah, my pregnancy sister! Thank you so much! The funny thing is, I do have a big belly. It just hides at random times of the day. Whenever I happen to take the photos, he/she hides! Is this a shy baby or what? I know I sound silly saying I feel huge, but I *feel* like my skin is stuffed! All of my internal organs PLUS my bigger uterus with baby are just too much for that limited space. So I just FEEL like a tightly stuffed sausage even though it doesn't always seem that way on the outside. I wish I had a zipper in my skin or expandable abs because I feel like it's a wall the baby cannot penetrate yet! GAH!!!! I can't wait to "pop!"

How are you doing, Noel??? You are my travel inspiration and now DH is looking into babymoons!!! It is so hot right now, though. All I want to do is eat popsicles on my couch with the AC blasting. Your trip to California will be amaaaaazing!!! How is your little bebe?

VESPER MAMA!!!!!!! How are you doing??? Oh and congratulations again!!!! So happy for you. Yes, TTC is a tough road no matter what. Even for jerkstores, it is fraught with some anxiety and then worry throughout. So wonderful to hear your beautiful story and know that you had a beautiful baby!

HOU!!!!!!!!!! You and I are so close - I'm 12 weeks + 1 day. You're almost 11 weeks. WOOHOO!!!! Second tri, here we come! Let me tell you - the NT scan is the most fun appt I have EVER had. You just get to gaze and gaze for a long time at your baby rolling, kicking and waving at you. Definitely take DH! My DH was like my camel bearer - he was running back and forth from the cafeteria bearing bottles water to FILL my bladder. LOL - he is paranoid and thinks the water coolers in the hospital have BPA in the plastic. On the way home, he had to POOP suddenly (don't ask - bad breakfast?) and RAN half a block to our apartment and I could barely waddle in myself due to my crazy bladder! It was comical! I should have peed at the hospital after the scan but I was too excited and forgot. HAHAHAHA! Felt like we were both first graders with potty issues. In one photo, our baby has a trout/catfish mouth with a huge nose so we were like, "WHOSE BABY IS THAT?" Neither of us have big noses or trout/catfish mouths so maybe it was just the blur/angle of the pic? LOL... it was pretty funny! Well, at least the kid has his nasal bones... I cried when I first saw the baby dancing in there. So magical. So whew!

I AM REALLY EXCITED FOR YOUR NT SCAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CatLuver!!!! OHHHH! I love how you call your baby Winkie Wink! THAT IS SO CUTE!!! :appl: Are you in NYC? So hot, right? I haven't been outside in 2 days. There was a segment on the news about pregnant women in NY heat and the OB basically said to stay hydrated, rest and don't strain! All things you do in abundance, I am sure! Take advantage of those popsicle vendors! I am SO happy you don't have morning sickness! You hit the preggo lottery, lady!!!!!

Huskylover!!!!! Oh, so excited for you. Usually, the doc will ask you a zillion questions - do you have a cat, do you or your DH have STDs, what is your history, are you on any meds, you fill out a lot of forms on your familial health history and etc. I was what they call a "boring" patient and I hope you are as well! You usually get a goody bag of prenatal samples and preggo treats. Both OBs I went to here performed an ultrasound. In my first pregnancy it was at 5 weeks (didn't see anything but the sac) and I think this one was super early at 4.5 weeks. We saw the sac and measured the lining only. I know, so uneventful. But the next appointment, at around 7 weeks, hopefully you will see the baby and the heartbeat which changes your life forever! They will also take a bunch of blood for your hCG and progesterone levels. I never peed in a cup because they can kind of tell on the ultrasound if you are pregnant or not and they're going to take your blood anyway. I also think they figure if the HPT is positive, you are preggo!

Lanie! Lanie! Lanie! So happy for you! I pet my belly a lot, too! Do you know the baby totally rocks and rolls when we pat our bellies? It is SO cute! I didn't know until all of these scans where if I even laugh, the baby rolls over like, "MOM, trying to get REST HERE HELLO, some consideration please!" It is so cute! So happy your pregnancy is perfect and all systems are go! Oh, being a mommy is worry worry worry from TTC to...to....FOREVER! Muahahaha.

Keepingthefaith!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The old PS ate a lot of our posts congratulating you on your exciting news!!! I wrote a lot about my first appt above in response to Husky Lover's question. Blood results usually came in about 1-3 days depending on whether they rushed it or not. You'll have to call and bug them for the numbers because they don't usually call unless there's an issue. Depending on if you ovulated later or earlier, you might be able to see the baby at around 6 weeks! At least a gestational sac, perhaps the yolk sac and fetal pole! And maybe even a little bean! At around 6.5 weeks or so, they can see the flicker of the heartbeat and the bebe. I had my second scan at 7 weeks on the dot and saw/heard the heartbeat and everything! I had transvag ultrasounds until week 11, at which point we graduated to belly goop!

7 weeks is definitely not too early! I had mine at 4.5 weeks (I know, I was paranoid) and we couldn't see anything but the gestational sac. He measured the lining and said it on target... It was too soon to see anything but that and the blood work showed that the pregnancy was progressing just as it should be. So definitely not too early at 7 weeks if I went in at 4 weeks!

So we had our NT scan today! Oh, it was glorious fun!!!!!!! Time stood still as we got to watch our baby kicking, moving, waving and rolling around in my belly. So cute! I tear up every time I see the baby; it's just so incredible. Every time the technician pressed down, the baby would act irritated and squirm/swim away. SO CUTE!!! AAAAAAHH!!! I begged for a guess on the sex but she wouldn't venture a guess because her last hunch turned out to be wrong. DH and I strained to see junk or absence of junk but you just couldn't tell. And I totally forgot (due to my excitement) to ask about testing for the sex in my blood!

The nurses at the hospital all raved about Dr. Kind and Nerdy so that also made us feel so great. He's a #1 pick among doulas and midwives, so I figure he knows what he's doing if the nurses love him too. I saw a horrid documentary on births in NYC and apparently our c-section rate is the highest in the nation. They also showed that there was a spike in c-sections right before dinnertime and late evening shifts. I don't know if it's true, but some in the documentary theorized that it was because some doctors would rather spend 30 min performing a c-section rather than wait 10+ hours missing dinner or staying up all night for a vag birth. Not that I believe in what they said, but it did make me feel better that his c-section rate is low. I don't mind having one AT ALL, but only if it's needed. I don't want to have one because the doctor got impatient, pumped me full of Pitocin to get things moving faster and then had to have a c-section because the baby was in distress. :((

Anyway, things are going well so far and we feel so much better now. I guess we'll get the call about our specific odds for the NT results but the technician and doctor there looked everything over and said things looked great so far. I'll wait to hear from Dr. Kind & Nerdy! We're probably going to start telling everyone we're pregnant soon.

OH! My heart is so full and bursting with love and happiness for us all. I am praying for my sisters in pregnancy and TTC!!!!

Love and hugs to everyone!

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Thank you so much HOU and Bliss! I feel better having an idea of what to expect. Of course I am a bit of a worried mess over the first appointment and will feel better knowing things are close to on track. Depending on my comfort level with my test results (sounds like I will get my levels prior to my 7/20 appointment which is my biggest focus) I may not push for a U/S if the Dr. doesn't feel it is necessary. However, if I feel the levels are concerning, I will certainly push for one.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences. I am not a big fan of doctors or blood tests to begin with but it's such a worthy cause ;))

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Bliss - I totally know that stretched skin feeling. we found out today that we're having a girl (more info and pics posted on the preggo thread). she is healthy so far. got to plan our trip to Cali soon. I'll be about 28 weeks when we go... yikes! I'm glad so far it sounds like the NT scan results will be positive.

CatLuver

Shiny_Rock
Re:

Blissie – congrats on your NT scan! That is soooo exciting! Too funny about the trout/catfish mouth and big nose. I’m sure some body parts just grow earlier/faster than others! I was in NYC last week…it was soooo tiring. I did overexert myself because I wanted to see a couple of my friends, and even just walking up 1 flight of stairs from the subway would make me lightheaded – crazy. But I didn’t want to just sit at home in my in-laws’ house all day, even though physically that sounded good! The exhaustion + heat = fatigue like I don’t remember feeling before…but now we’re back home to our routine from one air-conditioned location to another…ahhhh. I hope all the overexertion didn’t hurt the winkie wink though!

Lanie – we did tell the in-laws for a few different reasons, including that we told my parents right before we left, and that it would be hard to keep it a secret while staying there. They weren’t too excited because of current family circumstances, but it was ok.

Huskylover – my exhaustion/slight nausea started exactly at 6 weeks too. I am glad now I have a desk job! Normally I hate being so sedentary, but now I am thankful I don’t have to walk around at all at work – otherwise I might just keel over and fall asleep. I fall asleep after dinner if I’m on the couch too. Good luck at your first appointment!! Mine was a little different because I got to go in early since I was going to travel.

KTF – good luck at your first appointment!

huskylover

Rough_Rock
6wk5days (again)

Well today was my first appointment! They did an ultrasound (yay!!!!) - and I am measuring 6 weeks 5 days, which is two days short of my LMP, but I have 28-30 day cycles so it is possible that this would have been a 30 day one and that's why the baby isn't 7 weeks - not that it really matters. I guess that changes my due date to March 4th (ish). I got to hear and see the heartbeat!!! :appl: :appl: Which was amazing and creepy at the same time. Doc said everything looks good - I get to come back in 2 weeks for another ultrasound (not sure why - but I'm not complaining ;-) ) Plus DH didn't come with me to this appointment, so it will be nice for him to come to the one in 2 weeks to see/hear the heartbeat, etc. I keep looking at the pics from the ultrasound and can't believe it still - you'd think between the wanting to puke, needing to sleep fifty hours a day and seeing a heartbeat I'd get it- but it somehow still seems surreal! As for other things they did - for those curious for their appointments - had bunches of blood drawn and had to pee in a cup - all in all it wasn't that painful of a process!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Hey Ladies!

Just a quick post to thank you for all your kind words and thoughtful posts. I think I caught most of them before the change-over; just didn't have it in me to reply at the time.

It was a pretty harrowing experience, especially finding out I was bleeding internally and lost a litre and half of blood, but I'm on the mend and hope to put it behind me soon. I have my follow-up appointment next week with my Gyno (who happened to be the surgeon who performed my surgery) and I hope he has encouraging news for us. They had to remove my left tube during the surgery and I'm really anxious to know what this all means for our chances to conceive again.

I've tried to avoid the internet since last week except for medical sites as I didn't want to get sucked into reading false or alarming information, but I did pop in once and a while to follow up with what was going on with you all. It warms my heart to read you're all doing well. :appl: I'm looking forward to more baby-bump and ultrasound photos!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re:

Big hugs CDN. So sorry about the ectopic. :(

Waving to everyone else, Houie, Bliss, HuskyLover, CatLuver, KTF! Keep baking your little ones! Can't wait to see you all graduate to the Preg thread. I'm almost 19 weeks already, can you believe it?

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
11 weeks 4 days

CDN, good to see you!! I've been thinking of you a lot. I'm glad you're on the mend and feeling well enough to say hello! :) What a scary experience....I mean, losing a baby is hard enough, but I imagine it must be that much more difficult when your own life is threatened. Big big hugs and warm thoughts headed your way!! Best of luck at your followup appointment...I do hope he has good news for you. Things like this are the reasons why we have two of several important body parts. :) (why don't we have two brains, or two hearts?!) Anyway, it's great to see you, and I'm so glad you're feeling better. *hugs*

HuskyLover - congrats on your ultrasound!!! Don't you just love seeing that heartbeat? :) It will continue to feel more and more real as time passes. Sometimes I *still* have to pinch myself....but then I remember the nausea and expanding belly, and I'm back to reality. :)

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

CDN -- so sorry to hear about the ectopic and the removal of the tube. Thanks for coming in and updating us. I know I have been thinking about you a lot, and it sounds like you are in way better spirits than I would be. Good luck for the followup!

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
11 weeks 6 days

I just wanted to pop in and say that I think I have a case of the morning sickness/fatigue coming to a second peak. Bleh. I feel the way I felt at around 8 weeks all over again. I have been sleeping *so* much yet still manage to feel like I need a nap most days!! And my food aversion has returned in full force...things had started to taste better, and now all of a sudden they taste weird again!

Also, I can't wait till my NT scan on Monday!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Steel

Ideal_Rock
CDN

CDN: Thank you for posting. I really feel for you and am glad you are recovering. Try to keep off the medical sites too. We are all different and our bodies will react differently. I am sorry you lost a tube too. As you well know, you only need one to conceive naturally and you have done that already. I'm confident you will be fine. I hope your DH is doing ok too. Take care of each other. I will keep thinking about you both, wishing you only the best.

Bliss: :wavey:

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Hi Steal!!!! :wavey: Love your kitty with the Tiffany box! Hahahaha. Too cute!

HOU!!!!! I'm popping in here with you to say... THE NAUSEA HAS RETURNED! GAH! It's dialed down to an 8 out of 10 now, but it's baaaaack! Oy! I think the pregnancy gods were displeased by all of my previous complaints and decided to make an example out of me. The headaches came back, too! Wow, I'm in the 2nd tri... isn't this supposed to get better? It's a little better, but not by much!

On another note, I just saw that we're not supposed to do crunches while pregnant! Not that I would even dream of exercising in my current state, but I Googled it out of curiosity. :sun: Here's what came up from an OB-GYN advice board:

Sit-ups and crunches are fine in your first trimester. But by your second trimester, you'll need to avoid lying on your back because as your uterus grows, its weight can compress the blood vessels leading to your heart, potentially depriving your developing baby of oxygen. Of course, by that time in your pregnancy, you'll most likely find that sit-ups are almost impossible to do anyway.

I told DH no more nookie with me on my back, too! Since I toss and turn so much, today he announced that he ordered me the Pregnancy Genii pillow! I hope it helps because sleeping at night is uncomfortable. Even the slightest pressure against my belly makes me feel like all my internal organs are being smushed. Let's hope this helps!!! I will report back when it gets here. It looks so funny - like a giant candy cane! DH read the reviews and said it's good for petite ladies because some preggo pillows can be too big/tall/unwieldy. You can also use it as a pillow to nurse the baby later! He was so proud of himself! Let's hope I use it so his feelings aren't hurt.

Behold, the preggo candy cane of power! LOL

Lots of love and dust to my preggo sisters!!!!!!! :appl:

DreamGeniiPillow.jpg

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
hello mamas

I also had a return of peak nausea around 12-13 weeks... and then around 15 weeks, but I think that was also due to the antibiotics I was taking for a UTI.

I think I am finally in the promised land of the 2nd trimester. no more morning sickness and yet not too big to be uncomfortable. there are growing pains of stretching ligaments but not too often. at the office I just pretty much forget I'm pregnant until I go to the bathroom and lift up my dress to expose the belly. that said, I could use more sleep, though. I wake up a lot to turn and go pee like 3x per night. anyway, the good news is that the worrying about another m/c has thankfully stopped, I think about the same time the morning sickness stopped. of course sometimes I think how sad it would be to lose your baby so much later in the game, but we must stay positive.

sleeping on your back, though not recommended, is not a train smash. (and I don't think a little nookie on your back hurts either, but can get uncomfortable with DH bouncing on your belly, haha!) this was discussed on the preggo thread recently. I also have the pregnancy pillow and though I still find it a nuisance, I have to use it to sleep on my side to keep my one leg elevated.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Hi ladies - well, I made it to my first appointment...almost 3 days later than I was supposed to. Bean gave DH and I quite a scare on Monday and resulted in a trip to the ER and an overnight stay due to some very bad cramping and heavy bleeding.

I'll spare you all the details, as many of you have been down this path and the last thing I want to do is to bring up bad memories. The end is that I have a uterine hemmorage. They do not know why. They said it is not at the site of implantation which is a great thing. My levels are on target, the baby is actually measuring 2.5 weeks earlier than we had though (putting me at 9 weeks today with an EDD of 2/18/11). A transvaginal ultrasound reveled Bean's heartbeat to be at 181 BMP and her little butterfly heart is flickering away and my levels are over 100K. I was told that this hemmorage is a common occurance and my expectations were not set either way. The bleeding has slowed significantly.

I'm just going to take each day one step at a time but do have very positive thoughts and feelings. I still believe if it is meant to be it will be and if not, well, we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

For now, here's the first glamor shot of my wee one!

BDRUS.jpg

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

KFTu - I'm so sorry for your scare. at least your bean is still hanging in there. (((hugs))) you've got the best approach: take it one day at a time.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Noelwr! Ohhhh, that makes me feel so much better! So the nausea came back for a bit at 13 weeks? Sister, I'm in the middle of that stretch right now! Oh, oh...it would be HEAVEN to be where you are right now! I can't imagine "forgetting" that I am pregnant but I would LOVE TO EXPERIENCE THAT!!!!!!!! Sign me up!!!!!! You give me much needed hope! Oh, bless you! :wavey: Lots of blessings for your baby, too! How niiiiiiiice it must be to escape planet nausea! Can I come to your planet? And thanks for the info on sleeping on your back! Yeah, any weight on the belly makes me want to hurl anyway so definitely no bouncing on it! LOL

Keepingthefaith, I am so sorry to hear about your scare. But how wonderful that your bean is healthy and doing so well. Sounds like you have a very strong bean with an awesome heartbeat! I can't imagine how scary it must have been to be hospitalized and worried about your baby. But what a relief to know that the bleeding has slowed/stopped and that your baby is perfectly fine. Who knows why these things happen? Your bean is clearly meant to be so keep thinking those positive thoughts. What a sweetie! I love how you're calling the bean a girl already! She is a real beauty!

So I'm being a worrywart early. But does anyone have smokers in their family? How did you deal?

Wonderful FIL is a smoker and he's visiting soon. He is very kind and considerate so he would never smoke around me or DH. It would always be outside. But more and more, I'm reading about how smoke residue (all those toxic particles you smell on their skin, clothing and hair) comes inside and is harmful to babies. They're calling it third-hand smoke. Either way, toxins are toxins and I don't want to inhale/absorb any.

Plus, once the baby is born... I don't want the baby getting the smoke toxins all over his skin and inhaling them, too. They say it can cause asthma and breathing issues in babies. What to do, what to do. I know once the baby is born he will want to come stay with us and spend time with the newborn. I really really hate the smell of smoke so I'm already bracing myself for his visit/stay next weekend. I love hugging FIL and spending time with him but I can't stand the smell.

Once the baby is born, do you think it would be too much to ask him to shower before holding the newborn? Even when I hug FIL, my clothes smell like smoke from all the particles stuck to me... I don't want that to happen to the baby. They say baby's skin absorbs the carcinogenic toxins and their little lungs are more vulnerable to the particles. Maybe we can convince him to quit! He already has coughing issues and dental issues from decades of smoking. It would certainly be a win-win!

Lots of love and dust to you lovely preggies!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Blissie - I do not mean this to be insulting at all because I love you to death and you are the sweetest PSer I know who is so supportive of others and with a great sense of humor, but I think you have panphobia or omniphobia or whatever they call the fear of everything. I remember there was something about canned goods, then the fear of what effects flying might have, then sleeping on your back and now the smoking issue. I know this all comes from the love deep inside your heart because you've been through hell and you just want what is best for your baby and that is what is going to make you a damn good mother, but I also think too protective might not be good. all the issues you have brought up are important, but I think protection comes in moderation.

in my opinion:
granted, no one should ever smoke around children and animals (and preferably not around any non-smokers). but asking him to shower before he holds his grandchild I think is taking it too far. I'd approach it by reminding him that if he wants to stick around longer for his grandchild, then maybe he should take better care of his health (ie quit smoking) and you could say that if he stinks of smoke, then the grandchild probably won't want to hang around him. my brother smokes, and it hasn't crossed my mind once how that would affect my baby because I know he will never smoke around her.

anyway, I really hope that you are not mad at me for saying this. after all, it's your baby and only you can decide what you think is best. I just don't want you to create a sterilized world where your baby doesn't get exposed to anything and you end up closing yourselves off from the rest of the world.

so, keeping fingers crossed you will still talk to me:

regarding the nausea, I had it 8 straight weeks in a row, just that were peaks that were really bad where I was throwing up every day: 8-9 weeks, 12-13 weeks, and again at 15 weeks. by 15 weeks I was starting to dread that I was going to be one of those unfortunate women who would be nauseous the whole pregnancy, but thank the heavens that isn't the case! and like most women, yours will also most likely pass ultimately by 16 weeks (I don't know why the books lie and say 13 weeks). so there is definitely hope!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

HH posted an article from this site on another thread. I like it because it has a little humor to it. it's one woman's view on what is/isn't harmful during pregnancy:

www.pregnantchicken.com

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Noelwr, LOLOLOL! You are probably right! I think also being a the researcher at heart / science and news junkie also contributes a ton. I should probably take it easy... What is it about parenthood that brings out the worry about this toxin and that toxin? :cheeky: Of course there's nothing anyone can do avoid risks and etc. But like some moms research the heck out of baby strollers and have their research manias & etc., I like to know what can harm the baby so I can take educated risks.

Smoke really bothers me the most because my grandfather died of cancer from smoking. And my father smoked during my childhood and I remember how it made my eyes water as a child and hurt to breathe. The smell also makes my eyes water and thinking of a newborn having to endure that makes me sad. Now that we know more and how harmful even the smell of smoke is, I don't think it's unreasonable to limit baby's exposure to a heavy smoker.

Here's a BBC article that explains it much better than I can. I need to learn HTML basics! :twirl:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7813124.stm

Moms these days are using glass or BPA free bottles. I don't see how that's different from limiting a known carcinogenic toxin (smoke particles) from a baby. I also think most times there is so much information out there it can seem paranoid at times to say, "I'm using BPA free plastic for my baby bottles." Some moms might think that is being paranoid for sure. But now it's mainstream. Also people are using cloth diapers not just for the cost & the environment but also to limit the exposure of chemicals near their baby's bottoms. (I will probably use disposables, however!) I think some moms *are* a little cuckoo and get paranoid with their firstborns. I think it is normal and is probably really really amusing for people to watch bc I hear once the second one comes around, it's all systems go and you become more lax. Panphobic is a strong word and believe me, I do not live in a sterilized bubble and do not intend to raise my child in one!

There must be a middle ground somewhere but it's an interesting discussion! I also think asking FIL to shower (hahahaha) sounds SO extreme and I personally think it is, too! It's a nutty idea for sure...which is why I'm asking on a discussion board.

Hugs!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

ok, thanks for not being mad at me! and yes, my apologies: "panphobic" is a very strong word (and admittedly I ran into it fleetingly from googling while posting, so should have done my research better).

I like the way you phrased your issues with smoking in this last post. I think that is exactly what you should tell your FIL.

(btw, in my previous post, where I referred to your FIL and his grandchild, I actually first wrote "grandson". I too, think it's a boy for you. ;)) )

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re:

KTF - I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I really hope that everything is ok. It sounds like the doctors think that it may well be, so hold onto that hope. Yay for such a wonderful heartbeat. The pic of your little one is just beautiful! Sending you all positive thoughts for you and your little guy or girl!

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
12 weeks!! woohoo!!

Noel and Bliss - OK, good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this second peak in the nausea!! And the fatigue...ohhhhhh the fatiiiiiigue. My parents are coming into town to visit tomorrow, and I usually like to welcome them into a clean, tidy house....can't seem to find the motivation to clean and tidy right now!! I mean, our place is certainly no pigsty, but it could use a little tidy-up. But all I wanna do is NAP!!

RE: smoke and little ones: from a pediatrician's POV. Smoke exposure is never a good thing with kiddos...increased risk of SIDS, increased risk of asthma, increased respiratory infections, etc etc etc. Now, all of the studies that have shown this evidence have been with direct second hand smoke, so kids raised in smoky homes. No studies (that I know of) about third hand smoke yet. So it remains to be reasoned that the less smoke exposure the better, but Bliss, I think if your FIL agrees to doing his best to not smoke when he's going to be around the baby, then that should be OK. Sounds like he's a good guy and you have a good relationship with him...my fear would be of alienating him and the love he has to give your little bean. I liked what Noel said about reminding him that if he can manage to quit, he'll be around longer to enjoy being a grandpa. I don't think gentle requests are out of place, I would just tread carefully to avoid an emotional mess. Now if he were smoking in the house with the baby?! Different story. In that case, you would be totally in your right to forbid him to do so. But kinda feel it out....he may end up being more sensitive to the whole thing than you expect. Heck, he may even OFFER to shower or something before holding the baby if you gently say something like "Wow, Dad, you really smell smoky today."

Bliss, you absolutely must let us know how it goes with your giant fluffy candy cane!! I've been wondering about the various and sundry preggo sleep assistance products out there....I'm beginning to notice that any position that compresses my stomach is becoming more and more uncomfy.

KTF - I am so glad your little bean is OK!! That's an awesome heart rate!! :) And what a precious ultrasound pic!! I know plenty of people who have had hemorrhages (mostly subchorionic) who go on to have nice normal pregnancies and beautiful babies. Was yours subchorionic or somewhere else?? I know you said it wasn't at the implantation site - does that mean *not* subchorionic? I am so sorry you had to go through such a scary time...hopefully this is your one little speedbump along the road to bringing home your perfect little baby. *HUGS*

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Hi guys! Just dipping my big toe in here :sun:

I love following all of your stories!

Bliss, my ILs are smokers who quit smoking in the house last year in anticipation of grandbabies :-o but I have thought the same things you are saying. My cousin has a newborn and her ILs smoke too, and her FIL took the baby from me once and I had a really weird reaction to handing the baby to someone who reeks of cigarettes. Its tricky for sure.

KTF, SOOO glad your bean is ok! What a scary experience, I am so sorry you had to go through that.

AFM, I am 4 weeks today :rodent: I had betas on Weds, and they were "normal". I am glad my midwife didnt give me specifics bc I would have obsessed! I met her for the first time and I think we will be BFF, she was really great. My u/s is scheduled for Aug 4th. I am SO NERVOUS waiting for it. I just really really want everything to be ok in there. I am in a wedding that weekend in my hometown, and I want to take the u/s pics to show my mom and tell her then. If I can hold out that long! My DH is taking the bar in 1.5 weeks, so its a crazy time for sure, better to tell everyone after that.

Question for you other JBPs, do you find it hard to get enough protein? I am a veggie, and my midwife said I need SIXTY grams of protein a day! Is that easy for meat eaters???? For me it requires an insane amount of effort. I hit it today :appl: but its hard! Any other nutrition challenges you've faced? I am really working hard on eating the best I can.

Also, I am already so bloated! Its awful. Anyone else start this early? What about food aversions/MS? I was attempting to eat protein-full greek yogurt this morning and the smell of the vanilla flavoring made me want to hurl, but it seems super early for that???

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

KTF -- sorry about your appointment. I will echo what HOU said, and one of my preggo friends had one in the beginning and is fine now with a crispy, baking baby inside. Hopefully you'll have the same experience!

Bliss -- I'm glad Noel jumped in. I think asking your FIL to shower is way out of line. Your baby will only be around him for limited amounts of time, and he isn't directly smoking in front of the baby, so it's going to be okay. Then again I am one of those people that doesn't worry about a lot of these things bc I don't want nervousness to rub off on my baby, causing him to be a nervous nelly either, so take my thoughts as a grain of salt. And you are right...it's better to bounce ideas off of the forum girls than do them in real life sometimes!

Miscka -- No help from me on the 60 grams of protein, but I do know it's important. My vice right now since I have my appetite back and I'm not throwing up all of the time is carbs. It turns out that my living off of carbs was causing me to "crash" and get light headed and out of breath. My OB said proteins help manage that a lot better since they essentially nurish your body more effectively. If you can go through the first tri and keep any food down, then you are lucky. I lived off of toast, peanut butter, chicken soup and Boost energy drinks for about 4 weeks! Good luck and hope your first appointment goes smoothly!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re:

Hi Miscka,

Great question about the protein. I really had no idea we were supposed to get 60 grams per day. My office says 2-3 servings of protein per day, and lists 1 egg, for example, as one protein. This appears to be inaccurate?! They also say 2-3 servings of milk per day, so maybe that would total near 60 grams. I googled it after I read your post and see that most say 60 grams, though it looks like people are posting on message boards saying they need 120+ grams per day! That's crazy! Anyway, I'm also a veggie and don't think I've been hitting anywhere near 60 grams per day. I shall try harder now.

Do you eat eggs? I've been eating eggs much more frequently now. In the early weeks, I was addicted to cottage cheese, which has a surprisingly high protein content. I used to have it with wheat crackers, and it was really the best snack EVER! Do you like cottage cheese? That would surely give you a protein boost. I was also making berry shakes for the drive to work every morning. Fresh or frozen berries, some milk, and some vanilla yogurt (or vanilla-banana, which they call banilla or vanana, so cute, depending on where you buy it from. I guess kids like it.) You can also add protein powder to the shakes. I found the shakes much more appealing than straight yogurt. Lately, I've been getting the Stoneyfield Farm yogurt drinks - yum and 10 grams of protein. Sometimes I also have meat substitutes. Nate's meatballs (have you ever had them?) are the best. I have tofu once or twice a week. I used to eat beans frequently, but have stopped eating canned food (due to BPA concerns) so I only have them when we make them from dry beans.

Well, I'm sure you already know where to find protein, but maybe some of the above will give you some more options to up your daily intake. I need ideas too, if you have any, now that I realize I need more!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Lanie, great point about the crashing. My mother always told me that, haha. Maybe she was right after all. And yes, I am hoping to get in as much good nutrition as I can before MS hits, assuming it does.

LV, yay another veggie! Girl, I have a TON of protein ideas! I don't like beans, so that sucks for me. An egg has 6g, but I really only like mine runny so idk how much I will do of that. Here are some ideas:

-cheese can have up to about 6g/slice
-greek yogurt can have up to 16g (!!) per little container, vs. my regular yogurt which is 5g. I tried a different one today and I liked the plain flavor much better, with a little honey.
-I've been eating the grind your own PB, which has 8g/2tbsp on a whole wheat bagel thin (6g/110cal). So like this morning, I had the yogurt and the bagel for a total of 28g! On a work morning I would have bagel before leaving and yogurt mid-morning.
-I found this Special K protein water, which is like a lemonade powder, has 5g/serving and tastes pretty good
-Lots of whole wheat pastas and other carbs have a decent # in them.
-Kashi bars, have 6-12g, depending on the bar
-Morningstar Farm stuff, we eat a lot, has about 10-20g/serving, depending on what it is
-We also like the Quorn products since they are not soy, and they have similar #s to soy fake meats
-edamame

Basically, anything we eat I have been checking and choosing the higher of the protein when I can (like cheese type, or even some veggies we like have more than others).

Hahaha, I bet you wish you hadnt asked! I just know I have always been bad about getting enough and its time to buckle down and make an effort, esp. while I dont have MS.

Mind if I ask, what are the BPA concerns with canned food? We dont eat much, but like olives, or diced tomatoes in something once in awhile.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Miscka, you have given me some great ideas on how to get more protein in my diet! Sounds like you have it covered, but I agree - it does require more creativity on your part to make sure you're getting enough. Sounds like you have it covered, though!!!

As to your question about BPA in canned foods... I don't remember who brought that up - it wasn't me! But I remember the discussion. Someone mentioned that there was BPA in the plastic lining of some canned foods and that it would be an issue with canned tomatoes because they're more acidic. Like you, I don't eat canned foods either so it's not on my radar. But it was an interesting point! I think the helpful poster was NovemberBride.

HOU! Thanks for weighing in, also on the newborn thread on pertussis. Wow, I didn't realize how serious it could be until you gave your perspective. I'll make sure to get the vaccine and talk to my OB about it! I learn so much from PS. And how great is it to have a pediatrician's advice! :appl: So I got the pregnancy pillow from Amazon today! I'll let you know how good it is - I have high hopes!

Lanie, like your avatar! No, it's not good to make your baby a nervous nelly! How's the pregnancy going?

Loves Vintage!!! I love eggs! Reading your post made me go boil some!!!

So hope you ladies are staying cool! We're experiencing some crazy heat and whew, it can be draining!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results