shape
carat
color
clarity

It's My Turn...Deciding on Men's Wedding Band

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I've been chewing on this for a bit, with random conversations here and there with the fiancee about it all. I have no idea why it's been so tough to choose a wedding band for myself but it has. I seem to get to a point and then stall out for one reason or another.

This past weekend we went into a local jewelry store and I tried on a plethora of bands. First off, I was wrong on my size. Turns out I need a 12.5, which means even a 6mm wide band looks too skinny. I think about 8mm is the sweet spot. I didn't really find what I wanted so much as I discovered a lot of stuff I didn't like.

This morning I stumbled onto this ring that I like quite a bit:

https://manlybands.com/products/the-versace

I am just not certain about the black zirconium material. Admittedly I don't know much about it outside it's very lightweight (as I tried one this past weekend). I will ask DK if they can replicate this ring but I'm thinking about just pulling the trigger for ease. Plus you get 20% off, and some free trivial goodies if ordered today.

Any pros/cons on the black zirconium? If I go the DK route, I might add some small super ideal diamond dust in the upper corner so that I can see it.

InkedZ8FGESQ_DSC6585png-web_610x_LI.jpg
Z8FGESQ_DSC6586png-web_610x.jpg
Z8FGESQ_DSC6588png-web_610x.jpg
Z8FGESQ_DSC6584png-web_610x.jpg
z8fgesqSU2_DSC7347-web_610x.jpg
Z8FGESQ_ModBeer_SU2_DSC6909-web_610x.jpg

REALLY nice inspiration pics @sledge . The Versace is different enough without being OTT. I absolutely think you need to have some bling in there too....don't pull the trigger yet, i don't think it's exactly what you're looking for. You have time, make some inquiries until you feel completely comfortable. I hope you find a solution to the melee issue, that's a real head scratcher.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Mens rings don't get enough attention here. I love looking at all the options! I'm intrigued by the uniqueness of some of them.

Sledge- I love that you are lamenting over the decision as much as you did for your finances ring!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like a lot of these bands. My husband wore a size 13.5 ring & had a wide band. With your finger size & the width of the ring, the .20 will be a great size. It won't be too large especially if you gypsy set it. I say go for a certed .20 pt. DSS affects men too. :sun:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this earlier today and it caught my attention. Very different. The areas where you could see skin reminded me of my fiancee's ring where you could see her skin.

Not sure how I feel about the texturing/pattern. Looks cool now, but would I think so in 10 years?

il_fullxfull.1570308547_nxgh.jpg

il_fullxfull.1522844674_664a.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
REALLY nice inspiration pics @sledge . The Versace is different enough without being OTT. I absolutely think you need to have some bling in there too....don't pull the trigger yet, i don't think it's exactly what you're looking for. You have time, make some inquiries until you feel completely comfortable. I hope you find a solution to the melee issue, that's a real head scratcher.

Thank you, that is kind of what I thought. Subtly unique. No trigger has been pulled. I've actually reached out to DK, VC and a few other vendors for some quotes. More on that later.

Mens rings don't get enough attention here. I love looking at all the options! I'm intrigued by the uniqueness of some of them.

Sledge- I love that you are lamenting over the decision as much as you did for your finances ring!

I'm glad you are enjoying the journey, and hope it can help others searching for a man's ring. I'm not sure I'm thrilled to be lamenting the decision though, lol. It's driving me a little bonkers to be truthful but it's also been fun learning and seeing new styles.

I really liked browsing this site for ideas:

https://www.josephjewelry.com/mens-wedding-bands

I'm also a huge sucker for mokume
download.jpg Custom-Black-Ruby-and-Diamond-Mokume-Mens-Band-W-3qtr-104850.jpg

I have mixed feelings. I think some of the designs look cool now, but I fear it may not be as cool in 10+ years down the road.

Similar to this style, a friend was telling me about Chris Ploof's naked Damascus steel for men. So I'm considering a few styles there too. We shall see. I have to get okay with the pattern for the long term first.

I like a lot of these bands. My husband wore a size 13.5 ring & had a wide band. With your finger size & the width of the ring, the .20 will be a great size. It won't be too large especially if you gypsy set it. I say go for a certed .20 pt. DSS affects men too. :sun:

I believe the 20 pointer is around 3.75mm in diameter. In my conversations with DK, he was saying about 1.5mm was the max. :(2

595B7AB3-AA6A-4C04-9AEF-87E3DFA7A2C7.png

HPD is now a Sholdt retailer.... get a lux melee diamond in this baby! (Inquire about other gold colors).

Oh wow, that looks almost identical to the CvB ring I got a quote on earlier. Do you have any more details on the specific model, finish, etc. I think it's a German finish. Also, it looks a little narrow (maybe 5-6mm). I"m thinking about 8mm wide. I might have to reach out to Wink and inquire.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I mentioned I reached out to some vendors. Here's where I'm at to date:

DK - Cannot build the Versace in zirconium. Also does not have the tools to do a tungsten version. The only darker grey option appears to be the grey-gold previously mentioned. David says it's NOT an alloy but plated. The pics he sent me worked color wise, but I'm out on the plating. My chemicals are too harsh. Also, he said 1.5mm was the max diamond size. Costs are fairly expensive and more than I want to spend on myself. I believe I will be forced to look elsewhere.

VC - Victor emailed me and said they could not do the euroshank at all. He doesn't have the tooling right now. He admits it could easily be done on CAD/CAM but believes doing it on his lathe is the "right" way to do it. Also, no further update on an ideal melee stone, so I'm assuming that is a no.

JBD - In the mist of conversations. All his work is hand made. Ball is in my court to tell him the material type I want to use and finishes. He works with an array of metals, but most seems to be stainless, titanium and Damascus steel. Based on pricing of some of his other stuff, I'd guess he will be about 60% of the DK quote. Also, he builds each ring by hand -- I have a feeling I need to ask him specific questions about his techniques but need to do a little research so I don't look stupid. If you've got some advise, please let me know?

ManlyBands - They are the original makers of the Versace. I am going to contact them to see if it can be made in other metals besides zirconium. If so, they might be the most cost effective solution as normal price is $500 but with specials I could get it for $400. That probably doesn't include any diamond dust though.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, that is kind of what I thought. Subtly unique. No trigger has been pulled. I've actually reached out to DK, VC and a few other vendors for some quotes. More on that later.

I'm glad you are enjoying the journey, and hope it can help others searching for a man's ring. I'm not sure I'm thrilled to be lamenting the decision though, lol. It's driving me a little bonkers to be truthful but it's also been fun learning and seeing new styles.

I have mixed feelings. I think some of the designs look cool now, but I fear it may not be as cool in 10+ years down the road.

Similar to this style, a friend was telling me about Chris Ploof's naked Damascus steel for men. So I'm considering a few styles there too. We shall see. I have to get okay with the pattern for the long term first.

I believe the 20 pointer is around 3.75mm in diameter. In my conversations with DK, he was saying about 1.5mm was the max. :(2

Oh wow, that looks almost identical to the CvB ring I got a quote on earlier. Do you have any more details on the specific model, finish, etc. I think it's a German finish. Also, it looks a little narrow (maybe 5-6mm). I"m thinking about 8mm wide. I might have to reach out to Wink and inquire.

Looks like they are all a little different when you google them... and different widths! This one is German finish without the high-polish line.

https://www.clay-pot.com/bridal/sholdt-design-german-finished-mens-band.html

AV_

Ideal_Rock
il_570xN.1264738021_9wz9.jpg

I don't need light weight.

I have worn a heavy thick ring not unlike this & would say that the feel of the weight and the thickness was pleasant and playful - more so than anything that was to be seen about it. The soft mint gold took a patina on the outside, remaining polished on the inside - as expected; I'll gve this look a vote. Then, I find it interesting how lasting are engravings inside rings - the outside may be worn down allot for wear, and the writing hardly. Simple bands are carefree & live your life, methinks...

Pt patina is not much sung; it could serve.

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to still be hearing about your journey.

Relative to design, think about yourself and your style. Do you go for sleek and solids or do you like patterns and shapes? My DH's wedding band has a rainbow colored stripe down the center of his ring. He loves color, pattern and intricate details. It still charms him today and when he needs to replace it due to size (its getting a wee bit nug 18 years later), he still plans on getting the same ring made over. His clothing has stripes, colors and pattern. I'm the opposite. Not a single stitch of my clothing has a pattern over any large portion. Its mostly solids. My interiors are the same, with only the oriental rugs having bold patterns. I'm a more clean and simple background designer with pops of color. So, I went for simply platinum.

If you go with very dark colored metal, depending on your skin color, it may really pop or blend. So, it depends on the look you like for your ring. Do you want it to be subtle or jump off your skin?

Also, think about the texture if you go that way. If it is actually 3-d texture, will it capture oils or cleaning fluids when your work with your hands? Does that risk cross-contamination? Does that bother you? When you wash your hands it may be hard to get it fully dry -- will that make you batty? In lieu of a channel, you might look at things that raise off the surface. Where there is a channel in that cool black ring (post 127), that is something to consider.

All this is said in full support of bling on your ring!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a Damascus steel Chris Ploof ring with oxidised finish - it's a very 'honest' and 'structural' finish, in that you can look at it and see how the pattern runs through it, and therefore expend some brain power working out how the original block of material must have been mashed together and cut to create the ring.

I like that - it means it maintains my interest over time, rather than being 'ooh, shiny!!' for 5 minutes before it gets the first (annoying) scratch.

The oxidised finish is also half-and-half in terms of colour - not bling shiny but not super-dark, so it goes with everything, and it really brings out the layers :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been tied up in meetings most the day, but will collect some thoughts and respond either tonight or when I get back from Houston.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been tied up in meetings most the day, but will collect some thoughts and respond either tonight or when I get back from Houston.

Keep working and bring home the bacon for the bling!:clap:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
So I mentioned I reached out to some vendors. Here's where I'm at to date:

DK - Cannot build the Versace in zirconium. Also does not have the tools to do a tungsten version. The only darker grey option appears to be the grey-gold previously mentioned. David says it's NOT an alloy but plated. The pics he sent me worked color wise, but I'm out on the plating. My chemicals are too harsh.

@sledge I just got off the phone with Amy at DK, I asked about the grey gold (as I'm about to use it in another ring). Amy said it IS an alloy, and not plating! Maybe discuss with her before you give up on the idea?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread still lives. :wall:

Fiancee is putting pressure on me to hurry and pick a band. She isn't wrong. Wedding is quickly approaching, 4/19.

I have no idea why this is so damn hard for me to decide.

Anyhow, not much is available in euroshank + tungsten. Love platinum but refuse to pay for it. Seems crazy to spend $1-2k for a ring for me.

Here's my latest round of choices. Any thoughts? Or just want to throw knives at me?

$149
https://www.americantungsten.com/8m...iagnal-groove-wedding-band-comfort-fit-2.html

Didn't really think I'd care for diagonal cut lines, but combo of all elements seems to work. I like the shiny and matte finish together. Currently my #1 pick.

Capture2.PNG

$89
https://www.etsy.com/listing/576064383/mens-wedding-bandtungsten-wedding-ring

Similar to the Sholdt and CvB inspiration pieces, but considerably less money. Also, the finish isn't as rough. Wish it had the shine and finish of the one titanium/guitar string ring below.

il_570xN.1366862934_i0wh.jpg

$360
https://www.etsy.com/listing/229554...r-string-jewelry?ref=shop_home_active_5&frs=1

Jeweler grade titanium. Prefer heavier metal. A little worried I may bore of the brass guitar string. Also, it protrudes slightly above ring but seems minimal. Love the finishing and color of the titanium part.

il_570xN.1753170489_6t20.jpg

I really like some of Caleb Martin's designs (GrandJunctionGuy). Not a fan of yellow gold, but the finish work on this makes it nice. Even if I change to a white tungsten I wonder if my 12.5 fingers could pull off this thin of a band?

Capture.PNG

Here's the titanium brushed version, but in a much wider version.

il_570xN.1404852434_d6mb.jpg

Alas, I thought about reaching out to GJG and seeing if Caleb could make me the CvB/Scholdt inspiration in a white tungsten using some of his finishes or maybe even mimick the more rough finishes. Also I need to visit with him and see if he can do a comfort fit band as that's important to me. I'm sure he can.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@sledge I vote for the titanium brushed metal band. I think both the thin and wider ones are classy and you wouldn’t get tired of it later. Also..it would actually take on a nice patina from wear and be more forgiving of that.
Very exciting decision!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge
i initially found it kind of puzzling that my other half chose a 1.5k ring as many others looked very very similar to me. But it felt right to him when he put it on and he really likes it. Totally worth it. I think if you love platinum and it is not a hardship, and you find a ring that speaks to you, go for it. You'll have this ring on your finger A LOT for a LONG TIME. sorry for restating what you already know and ruled out but maybe reconsider? :mrgreen2:

your friendly PS enabler,
bd

:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Second or last one.

In regards to the Caleb Martin one- In my opinion, your fingers are not going to be able to pull off such a thin band.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge
i initially found it kind of puzzling that my other half chose a 1.5k ring as many others looked very very similar to me. But it felt right to him when he put it on and he really likes it. Totally worth it. I think if you love platinum and it is not a hardship, and you find a ring that speaks to you, go for it. You'll have this ring on your finger A LOT for a LONG TIME. sorry for restating what you already know and ruled out but maybe reconsider? :mrgreen2:

your friendly PS enabler,
bd

:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

Agreed. I’d at least go to the mall and try in different metals and widths I’d you haven’t already. I’ve heard a lot of guys say that a certain combination just “felt right” in terms of the size and weight.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m personally not a fan of ‘thin’-style wedding bands on men’s hands if they aren’t proportionate (e.g., think big man-hands and a dainty/thin band). But I’m not the one with man-hands who has to wear it, so you need to do/choose what is right for you. So go try on different sizes/widths/metals/finishes, etc., and just see what ‘speaks’ to you.

As mentioned upthread, you can have more than one wedding band ... fair is fair. So to that end, personally, I would recommend going with a relatively ‘conservative’ or traditional style band for your wedding day and for the ‘long haul’ ... this is the band you’ll wear for years to family gatherings (e.g. in-laws, holiday meals, family pictures, kids’ schools, etc.). And then after the wedding (or before), take your time finding one that is more fun, suits your individual personality, to wear when you’re out with the guys, to work, or maybe on date nights, or just whenever the heck you feel like switching it out.

Good luck! :wavey:

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
What is your everyday style? The black is super cool but very specific to me. Are you a business man in a suit or a casual artsy guy? Two random examples but hopefully you get the point. I see the black on someone edgy otherwise you may get sick of it and it doesn’t “go” with everything. You can’t go wrong with a lighter color. Two or five would probably be my choice of the ones you posted.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this earlier today and it caught my attention. Very different. The areas where you could see skin reminded me of my fiancee's ring where you could see her skin.

Not sure how I feel about the texturing/pattern. Looks cool now, but would I think so in 10 years?

il_fullxfull.1570308547_nxgh.jpg

il_fullxfull.1522844674_664a.jpg

I vote nope on this one. Those gaps are begging to get caught on something. You seem like the kind of guy that works with his hands... this ring looks dangerous to me. Don’t google “de-gloving”. Anyways yes- the first time I googled it was when someone told me not to ;-) but don’t say I didn’t warn ya.

I vote platinum. Great heft and it can be resized. Keep in mind that anything gold or platinum with a brushed finish will change over time. It will get high polish scratches and then develop a patina. But what I want you to know is that for many metals (I don’t know about titanium), the brushed finished is not lasting. It can be redone though.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t google “de-gloving”. Anyways yes- the first time I googled it was when someone told me not to ;-) but don’t say I didn’t warn ya.
I've never googled it because the term is so descriptive I can imagine just fine on my own :(

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first thought looking at some of the rings is that they will collect dirt in all the nooks and crannies! You will always be cleaning them, I fear. My DH has a plain band, works well for him, I’d vote for a platinum band, if that’s still a choice? You’ll be wearing this forever, it’s worth the investment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results