shape
carat
color
clarity

It's My Turn...Deciding on Men's Wedding Band

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've tried on a comfort fit band before, and agree I like the feel.

Unless I am missing something, I thought I could get the outside of the band to look a certain way, and have the inside always be comfort fit.

Am I misunderstanding? If I go with a flat outside and comfort fit inside, will it still cause issues?

https://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/typeoffit.html

Standard Comfort Fit (slight dome on inside & outside of band):
comfort-fit-example.jpg

Flat Band Comfort Fit (same dome/comfort fit on the inside but flat lines on the outside):
flat-comfort-fit-example.jpg

I may have misinterpreted this picture, but I thought the shadows I was seeing in red below was the effects of that comfort fit dome?

Inkedil_570xN.1264738021_9wz9_LI.jpg

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've tried on a comfort fit band before, and agree I like the feel.

Unless I am missing something, I thought I could get the outside of the band to look a certain way, and have the inside always be comfort fit.

Am I misunderstanding? If I go with a flat outside and comfort fit inside, will it still cause issues?

https://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/typeoffit.html

Standard Comfort Fit (slight dome on inside & outside of band):
comfort-fit-example.jpg

Flat Band Comfort Fit (same dome/comfort fit on the inside but flat lines on the outside):
flat-comfort-fit-example.jpg

I may have misinterpreted this picture, but I thought the shadows I was seeing in red below was the effects of that comfort fit dome?

Inkedil_570xN.1264738021_9wz9_LI.jpg
You didn't misunderstand- My husband's band is flat on the outside like that and comfort fit on the inside. "Comfort fit" has to do on the inside of the band and has nothing to do with the outer side.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
If you like the idea of hand forged, check out Ravens Refuge. Hand made. Lots of different textures too, even woodgrain. Screenshot_20180823-173413.png 20180823_174537.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Sledge, I've been following along and you've been getting great advice. I really love the more mixed metal tones rings like that just posted by @CHRISTY-DANIELLE .

I think you really want your own diamond. I think you should get one. I come from a family of big men (all my uncles and grand-dad were over 6'3' or muscular or both). My grand-dad and uncle played football (pro and semi) and most of them served in the military. So, a pretty masculine group. None of them have any issues wearing well-designed and beautiful rings with stones in them. Its how you wear the piece, not the piece itself.

I keep thinking something like this would be a way to integrate diamonds and a very masculine feel. Keep the lines simple and clean. But, I'd want the line of diamonds offset to 1/3 the width and then make the borders two-toned metal, like the platinum and grey gold combo. These are little asschers and I think that step-cut really works.

upload_2018-8-24_6-9-49.png

On precious metal vs. not. Most of the men in my family have precious metal, mostly platinum. My DH, however, was very clear about not wanting the weight. After looking around, he found a titanium ring with a niobium strip that is rainbow colored. He's a size 10.5 and his ring is 8 mm wide. He only gets compliments. His ring has gotten a bit tight after 18 years and we need to get it re-made a bit bigger.

Another way to go would be to get ring with kickass design. Something like this with the design blackened would be lovely. But, I'd prefer this at 8 mm if it was me.
upload_2018-8-24_6-20-1.png
https://www.etsy.com/listing/266745...ding-band-ring-pattern?show_sold_out_detail=1

Engraved titanium rings: https://www.readjewelers.com/titanium-engraved-rings-1/

These designs look a lot like the custom engraving you find on show guns. Is there is an engraved gun you love that you could pull elements from?
upload_2018-8-24_6-28-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-24_6-17-11.png
    upload_2018-8-24_6-17-11.png
    373.2 KB · Views: 28
  • upload_2018-8-24_6-22-45.png
    upload_2018-8-24_6-22-45.png
    297.6 KB · Views: 25

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey Sledge, I've been following along and you've been getting great advice. I really love the more mixed metal tones rings like that just posted by @CHRISTY-DANIELLE .

I think you really want your own diamond. I think you should get one. I come from a family of big men (all my uncles and grand-dad were over 6'3' or muscular or both). My grand-dad and uncle played football (pro and semi) and most of them served in the military. So, a pretty masculine group. None of them have any issues wearing well-designed and beautiful rings with stones in them. Its how you wear the piece, not the piece itself.

I keep thinking something like this would be a way to integrate diamonds and a very masculine feel. Keep the lines simple and clean. But, I'd want the line of diamonds offset to 1/3 the width and then make the borders two-toned metal, like the platinum and grey gold combo. These are little asschers and I think that step-cut really works.

On precious metal vs. not. Most of the men in my family have precious metal, mostly platinum. My DH, however, was very clear about not wanting the weight. After looking around, he found a titanium ring with a niobium strip that is rainbow colored. He's a size 10.5 and his ring is 8 mm wide. He only gets compliments. His ring has gotten a bit tight after 18 years and we need to get it re-made a bit bigger.

Another way to go would be to get ring with kickass design. Something like this with the design blackened would be lovely. But, I'd prefer this at 8 mm if it was me.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/266745...ding-band-ring-pattern?show_sold_out_detail=1

Engraved titanium rings: https://www.readjewelers.com/titanium-engraved-rings-1/

These designs look a lot like the custom engraving you find on show guns. Is there is an engraved gun you love that you could pull elements from?

ITA with @rockysalamander (great inspo pics btw) i think if you DON'T get your own bit of bling (not a tiny bit of dust as you called it) you may come to regret it later on.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge - sorry to be off-topic for a second but - have you spoken to David or Amy over the last day or two? I'm trying to raise either of them re the final details for my solitaire so we can get this show on the road, so to speak, and get my ring over to me where it belongs! :mrgreen: I'm pretty sure they're swamped, but I just thought you might have spoken to either of them.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge - sorry to be off-topic for a second but - have you spoken to David or Amy over the last day or two? I'm trying to raise either of them re the final details for my solitaire so we can get this show on the road, so to speak, and get my ring over to me where it belongs! :mrgreen: I'm pretty sure they're swamped, but I just thought you might have spoken to either of them.

I haven't actually. I knew they were on vacation and I've been brain storming but hadn't pushed any of my ideas to them.

I will send a text to Amy and see what's up.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't actually. I knew they were on vacation and I've been brain storming but hadn't pushed any of my ideas to them.

I will send a text to Amy and see what's up.

Thanks for getting back to me. Pls don't text Amy on my account tho - I'm sure she'll get back to me when she can, and I don't want her to feel pressured. At all.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for getting back to me. Pls don't text Amy on my account tho - I'm sure she'll get back to me when she can, and I don't want her to feel pressured. At all.

No worries. I was wanting to discuss the wedding bands for me and my girl anyhow. I asked her to give me a call when she gets a minute.

I am open to asking how your project is going if you are okay with that? Will she recognize your screen name? She knows mine somehow, lol. Anyhow, don't want to cause any stress for you but since I'd like to talk to them anyhow about my stuff I don't mind asking about yours.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you - but no. She'll call me when she's able. I really did just want to know if you'd spoken to them.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b ... well, it actually makes me feel better if YOU haven't heard from DKJ either! We were making serious headway on my deco bezel last week..but now, crickets. Maybe they have a ton to do after being "closed".

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK was emailing with me up until last week, and then he went radio silent even to an email about a simple question. I'm sure they are swamped and can't even come up for air right now.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE and @Wewechew -

Amy has been away for the last 2 weeks, and David also for the 2 weeks before her. Her parents live near me and we had lunch together last month and I know she was trying to clear the decks as much as possible before she left to prepare for the avalanche when she returned. I spoke to Pria yesterday and she mentioned that Amy didn't come in yesterday - and I know she'd planned to - so I'm guessing travel fatigue kicked in. I think it will take a week or so to get back to normal, but I'm hoping to hear from them soon.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE and @Wewechew -

Amy has been away for the last 2 weeks, and David also for the 2 weeks before her. Her parents live near me and we had lunch together last month and I know she was trying to clear the decks as much as possible before she left to prepare for the avalanche when she returned. I spoke to Pria yesterday and she mentioned that Amy didn't come in yesterday - and I know she'd planned to - so I'm guessing travel fatigue kicked in. I think it will take a week or so to get back to normal, but I'm hoping to hear from them soon.
Yes, I don't expect business to return to "normal" for them for a couple weeks.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge - sorry for the threadjack!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update @mrs-b. And no worries at all. It was actually relevant as I've been thinking I'd just reach out to Amy and ask her for some design advise, etc and get some pricing on options I've been looking at for me.

Thankfully I'm not in a rush. The big day is 4/19/19 so I have a little time to spare. Although I'd like to get my ring and hers squared away as that is a big part of my "my list".

Honestly I'm so sick of looking at bands for me. It just doesn't excite me much, as I like plain for a man's style. It was much more fun finding something for the future Mrs. Is it too early to upgrade her yet? LOL

On a positive note, here is one I recently found that I liked. Of course, it's located in the UK. I'm never easy.

https://www.titanjewellery.co.uk/Mens/Tungsten-Carbide-Ring-TURM3.html

TURM3-Mens-Offset-Tungsten-Ring-600.jpg

TURM3-R-Mens-Offset-Tungsten-Ring-600.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Forgot to post this. If you want diamonds on the side, these are black, but I think more grey ones like we were drooling over on JA would be really pretty. I'd work with DBL to get grey diamonds...if they are out there in melee.

upload_2018-8-24_13-52-33.png
https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/band-rings/rose-gold-diamond-mens-wedding-band/id-j_4267093/

Edited to add: I still like the mixed metal on the top.

Wow @rockysalamander, thank you!

Somehow when I refreshed, these posts never came through. I just hit this thread again and I saw them pop up.

I like the idea of doing a an engraved design of sorts. That one you posted is the closest to finding anything I really liked.

As much as I've come to love diamonds, I just haven't a way to incorporate anything of size. The thought behind the super ideal diamond dust was that if I couldn't have the biggest, then maybe I could have the smallest super ideal diamond, LOL. Maybe put a few grey diamonds on the sides leading up to my super ideal dust. I think a whole wrap of them would be more than I want.

ITA with @rockysalamander (great inspo pics btw) i think if you DON'T get your own bit of bling (not a tiny bit of dust as you called it) you may come to regret it later on.

In some ways I think having a tiny super ideal diamond would make me very happy. Knowing it was pure perfection as I'd be very, very picky. I'd really dig a D, IF, 54-55 table, 34.5/40.8 and 75 LGF's. Although I could back off to an F+ VS+ quality stone. Yes, I know the specs are overkill. Again, the thoughts are that since it's such a tiny diamond, why not?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you really want a diamond, you really should consider a tension setting - you could spin it round so the diamond is in your palm if you are around people who will judge you negatively for it :|

And if the wife doesn't like it... she will get used to it ;-) Mine seems to be basically fine with the idea now, what with me spending a lot of time on here :lol: lol

Now I just need to find 30-large for the 2ct+ asscher/octavia in a tension setting... :razz:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you really want a diamond, you really should consider a tension setting - you could spin it round so the diamond is in your palm if you are around people who will judge you negatively for it :|

And if the wife doesn't like it... she will get used to it ;-) Mine seems to be basically fine with the idea now, what with me spending a lot of time on here :lol: lol

Now I just need to find 30-large for the 2ct+ asscher/octavia in a tension setting... :razz:

First off I'm secure enough with myself to wear a diamond(s). I just haven't found the right setup with a diamond that I believe is my true style. And if someone is going to get all judgmental with me over a ring I have zero qualms telling them they can go pound sand.

Now the (future) wife....let's just say that since Pricescope, she wouldn't be surprised if I told her I wanted a bigger rock than her. :lol: Not really, but in all seriousness, she sees my genuine interest in diamonds and has been super supportive of all this new found passion.

I'd totally spend $30k on a diamond for her. But for me, I'll take a much cheaper ring and blow my money on something like this. :love: :love: :love:

Maybe I'd splurge and put me a super ideal in the tachometer. :whistle:

14079789_989528704503909_664799563677716060_n.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay @rockysalamander, you got me digging and searching for some alternative type bands tonight.

Thoughts?

Love this design. Could see incorporating as a tattoo.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/238885202/wolf-ring-with-viking-design-unique-mans?ref=related-2

il_570xN.1263557210_473q.jpg

il_570xN.1264050328_g9m0.jpg

Not normally a fan of this style, but something about the brushed looked with the polished and it just speaks to me. I think it's well done for the style.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/524686204/14kt-white-gold-6mm-brushed-infinity

il_570xN.1272549707_rl6v.jpg

Not normally a fan of this mokume gane style, but this one is done well IMO. I like how "veiny" it is and could see sneaking a diamond into the design somewhere.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/194063532/damascus-steel-flat-mens-band-with-fire?ref=related-3

il_570xN.1372054610_ika0.jpg

This is really stepping outside my comfort zone as I don't like brass, etc much but I think this looks very well done as a unit.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/606179473/unique-mens-wedding-band-men-engagement

il_570xN.1494283428_9aov.jpg

This one is out there (for me) as well. But I could see two round stones and then instead of the cross putting in an asscher or cushion. Maybe consider AV modern OEC ideal cuts.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/578370869/unique-cross-ring-for-men-christian

il_570xN.1375429212_zo1n.jpg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The initial engraving is very nice. Its got a very cool look and I like that it is different in different views.

I like the two-colored steel and the veiny look, but if it actually textured to the tough, that might drive me batty. I'm not a big fan of texture between my fingers, I think they are ticks...to many years working outdoor. I like this one with a gold liner.
upload_2018-8-24_21-38-24.png
https://www.mokume.com/mens-titanium-mokume/dark-burl-square-14k-gold-liner
https://www.mokume.com/mens-damascus-steel/

Ignore the metal colors, though I love them, lots of ways to sneak in a few diamonds.
upload_2018-8-24_21-32-36.png

upload_2018-8-24_21-33-2.png

upload_2018-8-24_21-34-9.png
upload_2018-8-24_21-34-40.png

Here's a gallery of more textures.
http://www.shiningwave.com/patterngallery.html

The last one would be out if it was actually made as shown out of two pieces of metal. That would be a huge pain to keep clean. If it was fully cast in that shape, that would be a cool look.

One drawback to a round band with a single diamond flush is that the ring will spin. I have a green diamond in my wedding band, the rest are white, and its all over the place. So, I like when the designs are more evenly spaced. So, if you wanted one diamond, I'd get 3 or 5 and spread them out, unless its a ring designed to be work upright...and the shank is shaped to help you with that.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-24_21-33-32.png
    upload_2018-8-24_21-33-32.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 20

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at Tacori or David Yurman? They both have some pretty cool men’s bands that might provide inspiration.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally throwing another idea out there, but just in case you are interested, check this company out:

https://www.minterandrichterdesigns.com

They make amazing bands out of unique materials (wood, meteorite, mokume, etc), and will custom make one of a kind rings as well.

I had this one made custom for me as a RHR (not very "feminine", but my all-time favorite piece of art is starry night and this reminded me of it, plus screw gender norms).

Greek_God_blue_box_elder_black_silver_m3_79mm_sb_5_2048x.jpg

Just another potential place to get inspiration. Plus, the owners are insanely nice and helpful.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
The guy driving that black muscle car might have a wedding band like one of these. I also like the Henrich and Denzel platinum band with an 18k grey gold accent line with a single baguette diamond ($2200 USD).
I agree with the poster that said most men don't change their wedding band. My husband still wears the beat up and scratched gold band I put on his finger 24 years ago. Stay true to your gut aesthetic, I think your wedding band is not an item you want to stray from 20180824_215514.jpg 20180825_091414.jpg your comfort zone with.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few inspiration bands that I find interesting...

This one is cool bc it looks to have two grooves with different "levels" of brushing AND diamonds:
images

This is basically my husbands band (but his has no diamonds)... either way, pretty cool...
images

Cool Bez band with hints of polished, brushed, and diamonds...
images

This may be a little too "outside the box" for you, but I thought it was very cool and different...
images

Since you love black, a sweet DY band (in black or white metal) with white or black diamonds for ya...
images
upload_2018-8-25_10-2-53.jpeg
images
images

Jade217

Rough_Rock
I love that top left one!

The guy driving that black muscle car might have a wedding band like one of these. I also like the Henrich and Denzel platinum band with an 18k grey gold accent line with a single baguette diamond ($2200 USD).
I agree with the poster that said most men don't change their wedding band. My husband still wears the beat up and scratched gold band I put on his finger 24 years ago. Stay true to your gut aesthetic, I think your wedding band is not an item you want to stray from 20180824_215514.jpg 20180825_091414.jpg your comfort zone with.

Ohhhh, I really like this top left one too! I think it’s a good balance of everything you showed. A little different, a little edgy, but still a very clean look, and a diamond to boot!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results