shape
carat
color
clarity

It's My Turn...Deciding on Men's Wedding Band

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge Another style that I find masculine, modern yet ‘conservative’ is CvB’s Sebastopol band for men. Here’s an image I found of it via Google search, albeit not the best in that it’s a little fuzzy. I think it is basically a Florentine finish with a polished channel. I believe this set was made for a PSer, but it escapes me at the moment who. :doh:
B1DBDDA2-DDA9-4494-8FED-79974074C87F.png

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@sledge Another style that I find masculine, modern yet ‘conservative’ is CvB’s Sebastopol band for men. Here’s an image I found of it via Google search, albeit not the best in that it’s a little fuzzy. I think it is basically a Florentine finish with a polished channel. I believe this set was made for a PSer, but it escapes me at the moment who. :doh:

Ohh I like that! This or the DK gets my vote. :mrgreen2:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 and 11 are my faves

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One thing I don't know if you've considered is casting your own ring. I know a few people who did that, and I think it's not that hard for a men's ring since they're not that complicated. Could be a fun route given your interests.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I found this on IG also. I agree, the styling is very nice.

I did reach out to CvB today about it. Pricing shocked me a little. CvB would use an unplated WG/palladium mix like DK used for my girl, size 11 and about 7mm width. The ring is hand crafted. As such, the price is more than my fiancee's ring (with diamonds). I am not certain I want to spend that much money on myself, even though I understand a hand crafted ring is a different than a cast one.

We are still discussing, but due solely to cost I do not foresee purchasing from CvB. :(2

One thing I don't know if you've considered is casting your own ring. I know a few people who did that, and I think it's not that hard for a men's ring since they're not that complicated. Could be a fun route given your interests.

I have not thought of trying to do this. I am certain I cold do this, and would probably learn a bunch in the process. Hmmm. Maybe. I have quite a few irons in the fire right now, so I have to evaluate if I can dedicate the time to learn and possibly re-do my mistakes. :mrgreen2:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I would suggest is buying sizer rings - as in proper rings to work out what width you prefer to wear, for extended periods of time and in a range of temperatures (so a range of hand swelling).

I posted a link to an Etsy seller previously, search it out (I would but I'm on the phone and it's hassle lol) because what you think would be good and what actually is good for sizing may be different...

I though 8mm would be awesome but it was just a bit 'too much' for my (size 7.5ish?) finger, whereas 6mm looked too small to my eyes. 7mm was the sweet spot for width! Plus the sizing is spot-on after I tried 3 sizes, a quarter size each side of my jeweller-measured size plus that size, to work out which was not too loose when cold and not too tight when hot :) The end purchase never feels loose, never feels tight (apart from very first thing when I wake up if I don't take it off, when it's 'snug'), and never rattles around on my finger - I forget I'm wearing it!

I would have thought you could easily rock an 8mm (or even wider!) band on an 11+ size finger, so try out options!

The added bonus of 7mm suiting me is that I now know a 2-2.5ct asscher/Octavia would be basically just that width and fit perfectly... ;-) And while still a LOT of money, is not as much as the 3ct I'd need for an 8mm asscher! :lol: lol

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked #11. I too don't really like the hammered bands. I do like the textured metal bands though.

As much time and effort and love as you have put into her diamonds, I truly think you should have one of your own. Most men don't know much about them but you do and I feel that you would truly appreciate having one of your very own. I would certainly consider it if I were you!

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have not thought of trying to do this. I am certain I cold do this, and would probably learn a bunch in the process. Hmmm. Maybe. I have quite a few irons in the fire right now, so I have to evaluate if I can dedicate the time to learn and possibly re-do my mistakes. :mrgreen2:

Depends on how "original" you want to be. There are some guided classes for couples that will be a nice weekend activity for both of you where satisfaction is guaranteed.

And then I've seen the videos where the dude builds his own kiln in his garage and melts down coins to make the ring.

Probably some options in between as well. :)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am all about the brushed finish. I think it's the lowest maintenance and has a subtly natural look. As it's worn, it gets shinier but to me still looks better than a polished ring as it gets duller (they both revert to the mean I guess) so you can go longer between upkeep or just keep the patina it acquires.

My partner chose this Jeff Cooper ring in WG, I thought of it scrolling through your selections. Simple but has presence. Also hand crafted but likely less expensive than cvb. You may like this designer's stuff.

S-6241_11-600x500.gif

There was a poster whose husband had something similar with a tiny diamond on the *inside* I think that would be awesome. I'll look for it later or maybe someone else has that image handy.

The ring making class is a nice option too of there is one in your area!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@sledge
Just wanted to pipe in, since I'm a DK fan myself, he has a grey gold (no plating) that he custom mixes. It's slightly darker than palladium, a steely color. In 14k it would be scratch resistant. Just so you know about yet another "masculine " 20180820_214837.jpg 20180820_215951.jpg option. I had him make a band in it for me, so I'll show you next to his 14k pd wg.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge
Just wanted to pipe in, since I'm a DK fan myself, he has a grey gold (no plating) that he custom mixes. It's slightly darker than palladium, a steely color. In 14k it would be scratch resistant. Just so you know about yet another "masculine " 20180820_214837.jpg 20180820_215951.jpg option. I had him make a band in it for me, so I'll show you next to his 14k pd wg.

Thank you @CHRISTY-DANIELLE, I appreciate that greatly. Whatever I decide, I think I would like DK to go ahead and make since he has made her e-ring and will do her matching wedding bands as well.

It sounds like I need to speak with DK more about the 14k Grey.

Also, I really like the Jeff Cooper design @bludiva. Simple, yet interesting. I really like the brushed finishes.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I see you have looked on Etsy, did you see McFarland Designs? She has brushed or hammered Palladium men's bands in the $600-$700 range. She even had one in "concrete " texture, something I've never seen. 20180821_201636.png these are 20180821_203555.png brushed and hammered Pd

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE, I don't get on Etsy much but I did look for that McFarland Designs stuff. It only pulled up one ring which I didn't like. I'm pretty sure I didn't get to the page you wanted me to see. Sorry, normally I'm fairly tech savvy.

Browsing through some other rings, I did find one I really like. It's similar to the Jeff Cooper design that @bludiva recommended a few posts back.

Very simple, yet has brushed look and polished inside. Very masculine and sleek. If I were to go with a different metal besides titanium, what would give me the same color?

The price is stupid low -- less than $100.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/536084...nd&ref=sr_gallery-1-28&organic_search_click=1

il_570xN.1264738021_9wz9.jpg

il_570xN.1264737665_c18f.jpg

Reactions: AV_

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@sledge My hubby works in emergency medicine, said he'd never have a titanium ring, says they are difficult to remove in a hurry. So I hope you won't consider that. I also think there is something more special about having a ring in precious metal.
The palladium is only slightly lighter in color than titanium, and when brushed/matte will be more grey than if it's 20180822_170332.png polished.
Keep in mind, if you wanted a darker color, DK has the 14k grey gold or 18k grey gold. The gold could also be brushed finish, which would make it darker.
Here is a similiar ring (to what you just posted) by McFarland Designs. If you search SHOPS (not items) on Etsy, it comes up. She has several men's bands.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem I personally have with Ti and Palladium is that they are so light - I want a ring to feel substantial, even if it isn't 'chunky', so both options were off the table for me.

Damascus Steel worked out well for me, as it is heavier!

I think you need to price up various metals in various widths in your size, @sledge - 11.5 is not small, and precious metals are not cheap... lol

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I came on here to suggest the Sebastopol band. I see someone else has already suggested it! If I were to ever buy another men’s ring... this would be it.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @OoohShiny. I do need to try on some different metals and widths. Based on what I've seen and talking to CvB I think a 7mm width is my current target. I'm not sure on the thickness but I tend to like thicker styles, so 2mm or so I'm guessing.

I'm not worried over saving a few ounces of weight on my finger. Like you, I think I prefer a little weight so I know it's there and it doesn't feel "girly".

I'm 6' and not some little dainty guy. I don't need light weight. :lol:

Hey @Crystal_Dreams, can you share more pics and opinions on the CvB ring? So far my fiancee likes that one the best, sans the budget. She is being super cool and supportive about getting what I like but I can tell some of them she tolerates. Black is my favorite color so she thought I would get a darker metal like tungsten and I think the darkness in the CvB is what she appreciates and thinks it's a good fit for me.

Reactions: AV_

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found that Etsy seller that does proper sizing rigs!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MokumeDamascusRings
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/264806460/sizing-bands-set-of-three-8mm-quality
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/264806746/sizing-bands-set-of-three-6mm-quality
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/264700327/sizing-bands-set-of-three-4mm-quality

If you're considering 7mm, get measured at a couple of local shops so you know what rough finger size to order, then order a set of 6mm and a set of 8mm in your measured size and a size each side of it.

Then you can find which looks best to your eyes and which fits best, then wear 'the chosen one' across a week, to determine if it is comfortable in all temperatures!

If the 6mm is too small but the 8mm is too large, you know 7mm is right :)) Or you may even find 8mm looks great!

For the small cost (relative to buying a precious metal ring) I think it makes sense to spend the money and be sure that you order your 'proper ring' correctly the first time - re-sizing is a faff, especially if it has a special finish that would need to be re-done!

EDIT: Some of the damascus rings can be oxidised finish, which makes them darker but too dark :)

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Totally agree with the above about a Titanium ring. DH didn't do Titanium for that reason. OH, we also looked at the bands with wood (he loved the look) but had concerns about the wood getting wet and having issues.

He has larger fingers too, size 12 ring and he has an 8mm band that is perfect. anything much smaller just looked so dainty on him :lol: So yeah try on sone rings to see where your sweet spot is. Love the brushed finished looks, the hammered look i LIKE but i don't think it's for everyone. DH has a WG and carbon fiber inlay band with 3 tiny diamonds. not too flashy, very masculine

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EDIT: Some of the damascus rings can be oxidised finish, which makes them darker but not too dark :)
Gah! I missed a word!

Now added in :lol:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree with the above about a Titanium ring. DH didn't do Titanium for that reason. OH, we also looked at the bands with wood (he loved the look) but had concerns about the wood getting wet and having issues.

He has larger fingers too, size 12 ring and he has an 8mm band that is perfect. anything much smaller just looked so dainty on him :lol: So yeah try on sone rings to see where your sweet spot is. Love the brushed finished looks, the hammered look i LIKE but i don't think it's for everyone. DH has a WG and carbon fiber inlay band with 3 tiny diamonds. not too flashy, very masculine

Pics??

I've been trying to find a way to sneak a diamond or two into the band, but honestly I haven't found one that just speaks to me.

One feature I was thinking about that I like on women's solitaire bands is when they have a little stone on the side of the ring or basket (can't think of the proper name). Many times, plain solitaire and tiny diamond there.

If I do a thicker band I'm wondering if I could put one where I could see it but not everyone else?

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love, love, love the mokume gane rings. That's what I'd go for if you want texture.

From the rings you picked, I like #10 & #11.

I know you like the brushed metal, but you're also looking for an alternative metal so I thought I'd say that my husband has a cobolt ring that he loves. It's still shiny after 5 years and he works with his hands sometimes. His is 7mm and looks great on his hand. I think it looks quite masculine. It was in the $250 range.

It's the big, manly one below.

[1009032]-1006.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My husband is an engineer, and while he loved the idea of a Titanium or stainless steel/Damascus steel ring too, he realized that they were too dangerous in his line of work. Can’t be cut off quickly in case of emergency and the non-comfort edges that most alternative metal ring designs sport are more likely to get caught in machinery/equipment. His brushed WG comfort band is still going strong and looking better than my more gently worn platinum rings after 18 years.

If you don’t plan to change rings, a classic style is much less likely to look dated as the years go by.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm....thanks for sharing those links @farrahlyn.

There was a picture of a ring that had diamonds set the way I was trying to describe earlier. I don't want a slew of them going around, but would like just one at the top for me to see. By all comparisons, we are talking diamond dust compared to the honkers you ladies get.

Still I would love to find a super ideal cut D-F VS+ quality baby stone to put in there. Ideal proportions 54-55 table with 34.5/40.8.

If I went with a 2mm thick band, I think a 1.8mm diamond (whopping 0.025ct :lol:) is what I need to replicate a similar look.

No yellow gold -- pic is for diamond purposes only.

julian.jpg

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
YES, i really like that one. Simple, understated.

i don't want to innundate you with photos but i got to browsing this site and there are some really cool rings. I wish PS had a PM feature!

i like the mix of diamond and mokume

https://www.josephjewelry.com/mens-wedding-rings/custom-diamond-mokume-mens-wedding-band-103359

suire you don't want to do a ring with a small step cut like an asscher?
https://www.josephjewelry.com/mens-wedding-rings/custom-mens-diamond-wedding-band-102275

i like the brushed metal on this one:
https://www.josephjewelry.com/mens-wedding-rings/custom-diamond-mens-wedding-band-102922

interesting, maybe (ok probably) OTT
https://www.josephjewelry.com/mens-wedding-rings/custom-diamond-mokume-wedding-band-102201

this is kinda out there but SO neat, i think you could do a design that is somewhat meaningful, maybe mimik the swirls in her ring somehow?
https://www.josephjewelry.com/mens-wedding-rings/custom-two-tone-diamond-mens-band-102593

ok LAST ONE, i love how the stones are offset on this.
https://www.josephjewelry.com/mens-...ens-white-gold-and-mokume-wedding-band-101265

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I haven't tried the cobolt metal @iluvshinythings.

While I'm not 100% decided on metal type this is kind of what I'm thinking.

Darker brushed band with polished channel similar to CVB ring. Probably change the type of brushing up a little.

1933.jpeg

But with general shape, width and thickness of this band (after I try on and make sure).

il_570xN.1264737665_c18f.jpg il_570xN.1264738021_9wz9.jpg

And then find my super ideal diamond dust for a single stone facing me only, set similar to the example below. Stark white (D-F) to contrast the dark brushed look.

julian.jpg

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I haven't tried the cobolt metal @iluvshinythings.

While I'm not 100% decided on metal type this is kind of what I'm thinking.

Darker brushed band with polished channel similar to CVB ring. Probably change the type of brushing up a little.

1933.jpeg

But with general shape, width and thickness of this band (after I try on and make sure).

il_570xN.1264737665_c18f.jpg il_570xN.1264738021_9wz9.jpg

And then find my super ideal diamond dust for a single stone facing me only, set similar to the example below. Stark white (D-F) to contrast the dark brushed look.

julian.jpg
Hi Sledge. A few thoughts from the last few posts...

You could probably go wider if you wanted to given your finger size. My husband is 6’3 and wears a size 13 ring and we got him a 10mm band; it looks pretty perfect imho - very masculine and with a great presence.

He also wanted diamonds in his band but didn’t want anything flashy so he gave up the idea. However, I snuck two small diamonds into the underside design of his ring, so now he now he has diamonds but still isn’t flashing them around =)2. So that’s one idea for you. That being said, have you considered something like this? I really liked it too when we were looking for ideas (for the reason you stated - you’d see the diamonds more than anyone else).

BDC80075-8AC8-4AF2-A7B0-69AE511CDAB7.jpeg

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, another idea you may find very intriguing is to go with your initial concept of a hammered or brushed finish BUT have the designer insert a raw diamond into it (examples here - https://www.therawstone.com/collections/raw). I’ve only seen one or two bands done that way personally, and it gives a really cool “rough and tumble” vibe and invites conversation (“what the heck is that?!” :lol:). Who knows, maybe you could start spreading your love of diamond that way =)2

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly recommend comfort fit, especially with a wider band. You'll be glad you did! I'd skip the little diamonds, personally.

Brushed unplated white gold (a white or gray alloy so it doesn't look light yellow) would be my choice for white metal for a modern style man's band. I recently read that it is better because platinum will scratch more easily especially with a wide flat surface area.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results