shape
carat
color
clarity

It's My Turn...Deciding on Men's Wedding Band

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the threadjacking but thanks everyone for the answers. I just chatted with benchmark and their online chat informed me that "We do not cast any of our rings. Everything is die struck." Also James Allen informed me that the rings I was looking "This particular ring is created by die striking."

Is Die striking that much of a difference? Anyone know if James Allen ever has more than 25% off?

Thats great to know. I have only seen 30% off around Black Friday/Cyber Monday for JA.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Benchmark I believe are cast, IDJ can confirm that for you. Nonetheless, their bands are some of the most comfortable on the market, which I think is super important for men especially, who are typically not used to wearing jewelry.

I would agree 110% on the comfort being the most important aspect for guys. In my own search I've only looked at comfort fit and they are not all created equal IMO. Earlier on I indicated I found a band at a local jeweler that looked good in the display case but not on me (two tone) but I kept it as a reference point because the band was just so comfortable.

I called back to get the model number of that ring because of the comfort, and discovered it was made by Benchmark. Which then led me to the Euroshank, which led me to IDJ. I am certainly hopeful the Euroshank is as comfortable as the other Benchmark ring I tried in the local store. If so, it will be my winner as the JA band feels pretty good but not as good as local band. Metal types were different too (WG & RG).

Sorry for the threadjacking but thanks everyone for the answers. I just chatted with benchmark and their online chat informed me that "We do not cast any of our rings. Everything is die struck." Also James Allen informed me that the rings I was looking "This particular ring is created by die striking."

Is Die striking that much of a difference? Anyone know if James Allen ever has more than 25% off?

Wow, awesome info @Forgiven888, thank you for sharing! Absolutely LOVE the fact the Benchmark is die struck!

I'm not sure the exact price difference between cast & die struck, but because of the process, time & machinery involved I am inclined to think the price is higher as you have to recoup those expenditures on the individual pieces you make.

FWIW, the two-tone round Benchmark ring I saw online in 12.5 and 8mm was about $900 through the local jeweler. She also offered the all WG version for the same price.

Two Tone:
https://www.benchmarkrings.com/wedding-rings/benchmark/mens-wedding-rings/CF268527

All WG:
https://www.benchmarkrings.com/wedding-rings/benchmark/mens-wedding-rings/CF188527W

I explained my issues with WG and asked about a platinum version. She had to call Benchmark, but texted me back the other night. $2,650! :confused2:

Just out of curiosity, if the EWB band is cheaper and die struck....is there a reason why you keep coming back to JA. Do you like the look better? I think max I've seen off was around 30% off and that was around Black Friday. Others may have better info. Also, I know you can't stack coupons on that 25% offer (as I tried, lol).

Forgiven888

Rough_Rock
Wow, awesome info @Forgiven888, thank you for sharing! Absolutely LOVE the fact the Benchmark is die struck!

I'm not sure the exact price difference between cast & die struck, but because of the process, time & machinery involved I am inclined to think the price is higher as you have to recoup those expenditures on the individual pieces you make.

FWIW, the two-tone round Benchmark ring I saw online in 12.5 and 8mm was about $900 through the local jeweler. She also offered the all WG version for the same price.

Two Tone:
https://www.benchmarkrings.com/wedding-rings/benchmark/mens-wedding-rings/CF268527

All WG:
https://www.benchmarkrings.com/wedding-rings/benchmark/mens-wedding-rings/CF188527W

I explained my issues with WG and asked about a platinum version. She had to call Benchmark, but texted me back the other night. $2,650! :confused2:

Just out of curiosity, if the EWB band is cheaper and die struck....is there a reason why you keep coming back to JA. Do you like the look better? I think max I've seen off was around 30% off and that was around Black Friday. Others may have better info. Also, I know you can't stack coupons on that 25% offer (as I tried, lol).

The James Allen one is cheaper, hence why I am trying to decide between the two. Also the James Allen rings are made by Benchmark(or at least the one I am looking to get). Also James Allen has free return shipping and seems like a bigger company, EWB also charged for return shipping which also might add up. Anyway I think I am leaning toward the JA one since Benchmark seems to be a very good brand but I have a while to decide since we don't need the bands just yet.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After reading @Forgiven888's comments above that all Benchmark rings were die struck, I got a little concerned the ring I was looking at was maybe not die struck as I remember seeing Forge imprinted on the inside.

I went ahead and started a chat with the online rep. Short version, it's die struck, thickness is 2.1mm and lifetime warranty covers replacement since cobalt chrome isn't resizable. :cool2:

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The James Allen one is cheaper, hence why I am trying to decide between the two. Also the James Allen rings are made by Benchmark(or at least the one I am looking to get). Also James Allen has free return shipping and seems like a bigger company, EWB also charged for return shipping which also might add up. Anyway I think I am leaning toward the JA one since Benchmark seems to be a very good brand but I have a while to decide since we don't need the bands just yet.

D'oh. I knew that, lol.

microwave.gif

FYI, the Benchmark model number is SLCF150PT. MSRP $805. You get a few more Google results if you drop the SL and just search for CF150PT. ;)2

https://www.benchmarkrings.com/wedding-rings/classics/wedding-bands/SLCF150PT

Alas, IDJ (where I'm getting my Euro band from) is a Benchmark dealer. They treated me right on the deal and Yuketiel was a complete pleasure. Highly recommend you reach out and at least have a conversation to see what he can do.

https://idjewelry.com/showroom
[email protected]

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed on personal preference. Without it, life would be drab.

If I could just add one more persuasion here I would tell you how I was able to try on this baguette ring before sending it off to DK to become an organ donor for my final wedding band. 1BCB8A38-F71B-4C7F-8860-422BA9BB4A55.jpeg
In real life I could see bright flashes of blue and red inside the steps for sure. As well as very small scintillating facets in each corner pocket. But I’m not here to change your mind and it sounds like Sledge has decided on none diamond rings. Probably more practical for most of us
That does look nice :))

Looks like you even got some of the coloured fire in the photo!

Do you have pictures of your wedding band it donated to? :)

I think perhaps my issue is that I have only seen them in local shops - and you know the sort of quality that one finds locally... :rolleyes: :( lol

RockyFPV

Rough_Rock
That does look nice :))

Looks like you even got some of the coloured fire in the photo!

Do you have pictures of your wedding band it donated to? :)

I think perhaps my issue is that I have only seen them in local shops - and you know the sort of quality that one finds locally... :rolleyes: :( lol

Once I receive it, then I’ll make sure and tag you in the post. As of now it’s still on the bench:D

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got a call from Yuketiel earlier today. They received my Euroband from Benchmark, inspected it and have packaged it up & shipped it to me. Got a tracking number also -- delivery is set for Tuesday. =)2

Super stoked to try it. Yuketiel indicated it had a very nice look & feel to it despite being a fairly basic band. We had some conversations when I initially called in and had discussed how for guys getting ornate rings isn't always the best because of our lifestyle.

I was pleased to hear his kind words. Again, super nice guy.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Benchmark Euroband from Yuketiel arrived today!

The packaging was much more simple, and more what I expected. Ring box put inside a small white box placed inside a bubble wrap envelope placed inside a FedEx box. Not quite the wow factor of the JA packaging but not a big deal to me.

Not sure you can tell from the pictures here, but it would be very difficult (if not impossible) to put in super ideal diamond dust in the corners of the ring where the thickened portions exist between the square outside and round inside.

2019-02-05 23.02.01.jpg

2019-02-05 23.03.21.jpg

2019-02-05 23.03.29.jpg

2019-02-05 23.04.21.jpg

2019-02-05 23.06.30.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some comparisons side by side.

As you can see, the width difference is noticeable. More surprising is the thickness of the ring. I thought the JA ring had a 1.7-1.8 thickness and the Benchmark ring was a 2.1mm. However, IRL and the pictures, the JA ring looks and feels a little thicker. I'm sure some of this is due to the bevel of the Euroshank.

If I focus on it, the edges where the bevel occurs is sharper than the JA ring. Makes sense. It's nothing major but like I said, if I focus on it I can feel it. Also although both are size 12.5, the JA feels a little looser. I suspect this is from the 7.5 to 9 mm band widths.

2019-02-05 23.07.34.jpg

2019-02-05 23.10.02.jpg

2019-02-05 23.08.17.jpg

2019-02-05 23.09.44.jpg

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Some comparisons side by side.

As you can see, the width difference is noticeable. More surprising is the thickness of the ring. I thought the JA ring had a 1.7-1.8 thickness and the Benchmark ring was a 2.1mm. However, IRL and the pictures, the JA ring looks and feels a little thicker. I'm sure some of this is due to the bevel of the Euroshank.

If I focus on it, the edges where the bevel occurs is sharper than the JA ring. Makes sense. It's nothing major but like I said, if I focus on it I can feel it. Also although both are size 12.5, the JA feels a little looser. I suspect this is from the 7.5 to 9 mm band widths.

2019-02-05 23.07.34.jpg

2019-02-05 23.10.02.jpg

2019-02-05 23.08.17.jpg

2019-02-05 23.09.44.jpg

Ok so is one a winner??? :appl:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so is one a winner??? :appl:

Truthfully, I'm a little torn. I think the Euroband looks a little better on my finger, but the JA ring is a little more comfortable. Not by huge margins, but enough that I noticed. I really want to like the Euroband better too as it's die struck vs cast, more unique, etc.

Almost wondering if the Boone custom option is the right answer. Skip the bevels, 8mm, 2.1mm thickness, comfort fit and round the edges of the Euroband like the JA band. Also, I like the finish on the JA band a little better, although that too is a minor difference.

Kind of marry them I guess. Just hate the time & expense. We are down to 71 days. *gulp* :think:

Thoughts from the masses? By the way, felt so "weird" taking pictures of rings on my finger. :lol:

20190205_231519.jpg

20190205_232131.jpg

20190205_232114.jpg

20190205_232252.jpg

20190205_232334.jpg

20190205_232220.jpg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the JA ring but that's purely aesthetic, I think it looks better without the beveled edge. Since it's also more comfy, that would be my vote.

Do you have time to visit a few more places and try rings on to see how they stack up to others? Or...you could go with the JA band now and get a "fancier" one with sone diamond dust later on.....we got married w placeholder tungsten carbide bands :mrgreen2: I'm sure I'm in the minority but no regrets on not having "the ring" till later vs picking something in more of a rush.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i much prefer the finish of the JA and i like the non beveled edge on it.

just a thought.... why not go with one of these bands now and get a "fancier" ring for ocassions when you go out? Women do it... why not men? Especially if you really want a bit of bling, just not everyday.

DH can't wear a ring in his line of work so he only wears his ring when we're going somewhere. He has 3 very small stones in his but if it was something he wore every day, i am pretty sure he'd just have a plain band. He's not into diamonds like me but he IS extremely proud of this latest blingy wedding band. (he's outgrown 2 non-sizeable bands)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 to the last two posts :)

What's the width difference again?

The beveled one looks wider?

Which do you prefer in terms of width?

I think the non-beveled one looks just fine on you, but if you prefer the width of the beveled one, get a ring that combines the width you want in the style you want.

I almost went for a 6mm but I'm so glad I want for a 7mm in the end - that 1mm makes all the difference!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Actually I have to say I prefer the Euroband on you. I like the fact it's a little wider, I like that it's slightly more unique as I suspect that strongly suits your style. I do like the finish on the JA though. It is a bit darker, which is nice.

But a ring should be comfortable. Also, I don't know, it would be kind of nice if you 'just knew' it was the one. I feel here you're settling a bit because of time pressure. I suspect you'll regret that, too.

So I vote Boone Marriage!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's the width difference again?

The beveled one looks wider?

Which do you prefer in terms of width?

JA = 7.5mm
Benchmark = 9mm

Due to the bevels, I believe the Euro shank (Benchmark) plays a visual illusion of sorts as I don't think it looks as wide as it really is. Not that I am complaining. I think it looks fine.

I think the width is playing into the comfort level. I've heard the ladies say it on the forum and thought it was silly you'd need a different size for different widths, etc. Although both are 12.5's the JA fits better where the Benchmark is slightly tighter.

My other somewhat minor issue is where the bevels end on the oustide of the ring it creates a somewhat sharp edge. Nothing like a knife, etc. But enough I notice it. Consequently, despite actual thickness it feels like the ring is more thin than it really is.

In comparison, the JA band has a nice thick rolled edge that is super smooth.

In the past I have paid extra money for tools that have smooth edges and a nice fit similar to how the rolled edge is on the JA ring. I'm very weird this way and I realize that. I have even carried this to eating utensils. I like heavy and smooth rounded.

What makes this a little more difficult is the fiancee does not like the JA band at all -- says it doesn't fit my personality and reminds her too much of a gift I got previously from an ex-GF. In fact, before I could tell her I ordered it, she was going off on it, lol. So I know how she feels.

Oddly enough she didn't like the Euro shank stuff either when I first showed her and ordered it. Then she told me last night she was surprised at how much she actually likes it. Not that it matters a bunch, but the new kiddo, J, also prefers the Euroshank she said it fits my personality better. :wall:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol I think I'm making things more confusing by disagreeing with the majority, but I prefer the euroshank to the JA. Something about the JA looks too "plain" to me. Not sure how else to explain it, but I really like the bevel. But obviously if it's uncomfortable then DEFINITELY don't go with it.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to circle back to this thread and provide some closure.

Ultimately, I decided to send the JA ring back. Assuming they accept it. The box sat at my house with a label on it for a few weeks. So really, I may have two rings....we shall see. :lol:

For me the winner was the Benchmark Euroshank that I got from Yeukitel @ IDJ. Great price and overall good quality and a nice fit. There are some minor areas I could improve if I did custom but honestly it wasn't worth it to me.

I am sending my ring and the fiancee's e-ring over to Amy so they can make her wedding band and engrave both bands.

I just wanted to say thank you for all the opinions and time investment you put in my journey. We are about two weeks out from the big day and details like my ring seem so minor in comparison to other things. You know, like writing my vows! :lol:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to circle back to this thread and provide some closure.

Ultimately, I decided to send the JA ring back. Assuming they accept it. The box sat at my house with a label on it for a few weeks. So really, I may have two rings....we shall see. :lol:

For me the winner was the Benchmark Euroshank that I got from Yeukitel @ IDJ. Great price and overall good quality and a nice fit. There are some minor areas I could improve if I did custom but honestly it wasn't worth it to me.

I am sending my ring and the fiancee's e-ring over to Amy so they can make her wedding band and engrave both bands.

I just wanted to say thank you for all the opinions and time investment you put in my journey. We are about two weeks out from the big day and details like my ring seem so minor in comparison to other things. You know, like writing my vows! :lol:

Glad you got to a decision you're happy with! I also saw your other post about letting your soon-to-be wife lead on her band - that seemed very wise too!

It's honestly been wonderful watching you make such reasoned and considered choices. I have every belief that your vows will meet all expectations, too.

Best of luck with all the last minute preparation and thank you for keeping us updated although you must be busy!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weddings seem to slip up on you - they seemed so far away and then - wow - it's time!

I like your choice of rings - it looks very handsome on your hand and has just enough detail to make it unique. We are excited for you and the Mrs. to Be - please keep us posted and you know we love those darn photos!!! :wavey::wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results