shape
carat
color
clarity

It's My Turn...Deciding on Men's Wedding Band

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @CHRISTY-DANIELLE, I :silenced:'n love this one!!!

Need super ideal dust, lol.

Also need to find out if fiancee was joking or not. She told me last night she ordered me one. Sigh.

20180825_160137.jpg

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Also need to find out if fiancee was joking or not. She told me last night she ordered me one. Sigh.

20180825_160137.jpg
Nope, she can’t order you one. She chooses her band, you choose yours! Fair is fair ;)2

Really glad you like that one too. It seems to fit your persona and desires.

Eta: In case you didn’t know, VC can cut his melee to super ideal too, down to 1mm size, so I’d check with him to see what he has available to sell.

FE32377F-461B-4E89-A003-0C282FCD2968.jpeg

Last edited:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@sledge -not to harp on the DK idea, but he also has black gold. He could make this ring for you in black and grey gold (or whatever) and he's also a diamond expert so could easily source your tiny super ideal dust.

I am just leery of some of the alternatives to precious metals.. they might be cheaper, but after 20 some years my husband had to have his band sized up.. weight gain, arthritis..it happens. Gold was easily sized. Tungsten? Zirconium? Et al...Cannot be sized.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The guy driving that black muscle car might have a wedding band like one of these. I also like the Henrich and Denzel platinum band with an 18k grey gold accent line with a single baguette diamond ($2200 USD).
I agree with the poster that said most men don't change their wedding band. My husband still wears the beat up and scratched gold band I put on his finger 24 years ago. Stay true to your gut aesthetic, I think your wedding band is not an item you want to stray from 20180824_215514.jpg 20180825_091414.jpg your comfort zone with.

This second one (with a bigger step cut) is IT!! This is what I had been envisioning. I think it’s clean, masculine, just an awesome look.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The black gold is so very striking! But there is a decided drawback: the need for re-plating. And @sledge said -- in his very first post, in reference to white gold -- he did not want to have to deal with that.

(Plus, I'd think scuffs-scratches to black rhodium plating over a gold alloy are more noticeable than when it's white rhodium plating over white gold.)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DKs black gold is NOT rhodium plated!! Its a permenant black color! (Someone on IG asked and DKs response was just that. ..it is not rhodium plated and is permenantly black)
Thanks, but no reason to shout; you had not previously mentioned that attribute.

I'd still like to know what the "black finish" is.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Finally, laser treatment can produce surface nanostructures which render a deep black finish on metals. This is performed by femtosecond laser, which emits extremely intense, ultrashort pulses. This discovery was made by Professor Chunlei Guo of the University of Rochester in 2006. The result is that the structure of the surface area of the metal is permanently altered, so it appears black because of increased absorption of light. This method can produce the most stable and permanent black jewelry. Apart from black metal, this exciting technology can be used to change the surface of any metal to reflect almost any color.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally throwing another idea out there, but just in case you are interested, check this company out:

https://www.minterandrichterdesigns.com

They make amazing bands out of unique materials (wood, meteorite, mokume, etc), and will custom make one of a kind rings as well.
These are awesome, thank you for posting!

I love the bright inlays within the rings :))

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock

20180825_160137.jpg

Hi @sledge :wavey:

I've really enjoyed following this thread.

I really like this band that you like. It's very straightforward and I can see as well from the others you've posted that you like the bands that have a single grooved line in them. I agree that's really nice. I also like the idea of a single diamond in the men's band (honestly, less keen on four equally spaced out diamonds somehow... don't know why? It seems too symmetrical somehow). I was just wondering though, I thought it would be nice if the diamond was in line with the groove rather than set in the middle of the band. I think that would look really cool.

Like this! http://www.titaniumstyle.com/jewelry/diamond-titanium-rings-offset-groove.html But not in titanium.

The smallest, whitest, best clarity, lowest table diamond I could find with Brian Gavin was:
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../0.258-e-vs2-round-diamond-bkags-104097998125

Is that too big? :lol:

I guess it doesn't have your crown and pavillion angle preferences though. o_O

Just went through all the whitest, best clarity lowest table diamonds I could find on that site and couldn't find any with your particular crown and pavillion angle preferences. :(2 Even going to I colour didn't work... didn't try SI1. Poodles.

The closest - but no cigar in many ways - was this one. :( Sorry.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../0.224-d-vs1-round-diamond-bkags-104100653001 ...

Also I was entertaining myself with the ring that you liked with the dragon's face in it... there is also something pretty cool about that... I was laughing thinking about the diamond as the eye... hahaha... or a ruby! Or garnet... or spinel.... I know I know, it's so cliché. Couldn't help myself. :errrr:

Finally, I was just thinking, and I've told you this before, but you seem like a pretty sentimental, thoughtful guy. Is there a particular code you like? Again, I know it's a bit cheesy, but something like morse code... the line could spell out something that is meaningful only to you and your fiancée.

https://www.ajaffe.com/wedding-bands/bb0181-i-love-you-morse-code-men-s-diamond-ring. This ring for example. With a row of diamonds like that but off centre.

Oh my god that would be so cool. :love: Don't think I'd want it to say something so obvious but something else... I cannot help but love that idea immensely. Just as a one off row of diamonds in the ring. Perhaps your fiancée could compose it for you? :mrgreen2: Or maybe that's a disaster waiting to happen... :lol: Also it might interfere with you sharing the finished product with us... :think:.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In some ways I think having a tiny super ideal diamond would make me very happy. Knowing it was pure perfection as I'd be very, very picky. I'd really dig a D, IF, 54-55 table, 34.5/40.8 and 75 LGF's. Although I could back off to an F+ VS+ quality stone. Yes, I know the specs are overkill. Again, the thoughts are that since it's such a tiny diamond, why not?

i totally agree. you don't HAVE to have colorless and such high clarity but you're getting such a small stone, WHY NOT?! UNLESS you decide to go with the same specs your fiancee has? i think it would be sweet to have the same color, clarity and fluoro as her.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
These are the closest smallest (hahaha) CBI diamond I could find...

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10185

Or https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9519
:whistle:

I mean, neither of them are really quite there... :wall::D :D :D ... your tiny table preferences along with the chunky arrows... the best LGF I found so far was 76....

Next question - who'll custom cut it for you? :dance:

ETA:

What about this one?
https://dealer.craftedbyinfinity.com/public/diamondFiles/9765/cert201712121251469765ags.pdf
I mean, pay noooo attention to the carat size...
:whistle:

Last edited:

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock
Glad to see you're getting stuck in choosing your own ring! Also cool to see my ring in the running as inspiration ;-).

A few random thoughts I've had browsing through the thread. I previously owned a black DLC watch and almost never wore it because it felt out of place while wearing brown shoes or with a navy suit. The watch looked amazing in photos, but once I viewed it as part of a whole outfit, it seemed a bit off unless I was very monochrome. You may feel this way with a black ring too? White gold is much more versatile.

Seems you've passed on having wood, but the following may hold true for a hammered look as well. I would personally steer clear of anything more trendy. Remember the wood paneled PT cruiser?

On size, my ring is O 1/2 with a 5mm width. If you're wearing a size ~10, I'd definitely size up to make it proportional to your fingers and stature.

I did see an interesting design I briefly considered from Raphael's in the Sydney Strand Arcade. It had a small MRB stone set about 1/3 of the way in. And instead of a straight groove going around, the line was more undulating. You could view it as the moon over rolling hills or the way the jeweller described it was something along the lines of "relationships have ups and downs (the line) but marriage is forever (a continuous circle)".

Best of luck, mate!

Cheers,
SC

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I've been chewing on this for a bit, with random conversations here and there with the fiancee about it all. I have no idea why it's been so tough to choose a wedding band for myself but it has. I seem to get to a point and then stall out for one reason or another.

This past weekend we went into a local jewelry store and I tried on a plethora of bands. First off, I was wrong on my size. Turns out I need a 12.5, which means even a 6mm wide band looks too skinny. I think about 8mm is the sweet spot. I didn't really find what I wanted so much as I discovered a lot of stuff I didn't like.

This morning I stumbled onto this ring that I like quite a bit:

https://manlybands.com/products/the-versace

I am just not certain about the black zirconium material. Admittedly I don't know much about it outside it's very lightweight (as I tried one this past weekend). I will ask DK if they can replicate this ring but I'm thinking about just pulling the trigger for ease. Plus you get 20% off, and some free trivial goodies if ordered today.

Any pros/cons on the black zirconium? If I go the DK route, I might add some small super ideal diamond dust in the upper corner so that I can see it.

InkedZ8FGESQ_DSC6585png-web_610x_LI.jpg
Z8FGESQ_DSC6586png-web_610x.jpg
Z8FGESQ_DSC6588png-web_610x.jpg
Z8FGESQ_DSC6584png-web_610x.jpg
z8fgesqSU2_DSC7347-web_610x.jpg
Z8FGESQ_ModBeer_SU2_DSC6909-web_610x.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge
Just wanted to pipe in, since I'm a DK fan myself, he has a grey gold (no plating) that he custom mixes. It's slightly darker than palladium, a steely color. In 14k it would be scratch resistant. Just so you know about yet another "masculine " 20180820_214837.jpg 20180820_215951.jpg option. I had him make a band in it for me, so I'll show you next to his 14k pd wg.

Thanks again for sharing this. With the above updated post, I am curious if you know of any men's rings DK has done in the grey gold alloy? I'd like to see how dark they can and what polish/matte options they have to provide a contrast.

I tried one of these on this past weekend. It was very light weight. Cool idea but I didn't feel the cool factor was worth the asking price.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@sledge The gray DK band I posted is 14k, I think the 18k gray gold is darker. Also if it is brushed, not polished, it will look darker yet. But DK also has a treatment they've done to make black gold, a permenant treatment.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I've been chewing on this for a bit, with random conversations here and there with the fiancee about it all. I have no idea why it's been so tough to choose a wedding band for myself but it has. I seem to get to a point and then stall out for one reason or another.

This past weekend we went into a local jewelry store and I tried on a plethora of bands. First off, I was wrong on my size. Turns out I need a 12.5, which means even a 6mm wide band looks too skinny. I think about 8mm is the sweet spot. I didn't really find what I wanted so much as I discovered a lot of stuff I didn't like.

This morning I stumbled onto this ring that I like quite a bit:

https://manlybands.com/products/the-versace

I am just not certain about the black zirconium material. Admittedly I don't know much about it outside it's very lightweight (as I tried one this past weekend). I will ask DK if they can replicate this ring but I'm thinking about just pulling the trigger for ease. Plus you get 20% off, and some free trivial goodies if ordered today.

Any pros/cons on the black zirconium? If I go the DK route, I might add some small super ideal diamond dust in the upper corner so that I can see it.

InkedZ8FGESQ_DSC6585png-web_610x_LI.jpg
Z8FGESQ_DSC6586png-web_610x.jpg
Z8FGESQ_DSC6588png-web_610x.jpg
Z8FGESQ_DSC6584png-web_610x.jpg
z8fgesqSU2_DSC7347-web_610x.jpg
Z8FGESQ_ModBeer_SU2_DSC6909-web_610x.jpg

Really love this new contender with the ideal of setting a super perfect little diamond in there.
I'd be interested to see how DK's black gold holds up. He mentions a black "finish" that is not rhodium but I don't know if that means no upkeep or no scuffing/scratching that can't just be polished out? Like if you repolish it will the black go away or is it that color through and through?

I do think someone's prior point about black maybe color clashing is a good point. If you're very meticulous about outfits, having a strongly colored accessory that is a required wear, may make coordinating a closet a bit trickier.

I also like the shape of this one being sort of euroshank all around lol.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really love this new contender with the ideal of setting a super perfect little diamond in there.
I'd be interested to see how DK's black gold holds up. He mentions a black "finish" that is not rhodium but I don't know if that means no upkeep or no scuffing/scratching that can't just be polished out? Like if you repolish it will the black go away or is it that color through and through?

I do think someone's prior point about black maybe color clashing is a good point. If you're very meticulous about outfits, having a strongly colored accessory that is a required wear, may make coordinating a closet a bit trickier.

I also like the shape of this one being sort of euroshank all around lol.

I was talking with VC just a few minutes ago about their super ideal melee. They may not sell me just a single melee stone. Also, it does not seem favorable I can request my preferred set of proportions as they do not certify their stones and their SARIN scanner will not accurately read a stone that small. Lastly, should I use VC for the entire ring (to get their melee) it seems unlikely VC can make a ring in anything but gold or platinum. I have submitted a formal quote request and hope to hear something soon about my options with them.

I will be in Houston later this week. I may have to ask WF and BGD about some glorified super ideal dust, and see what options they have.

And yes, I really like the modified euroshank quite a bit. I wanted something a bit different that every schmuck doesn't have. Most have harder lines, which the fiancee didn't care for but she does like this one. Also, I seen one with beveled edges in euro style that was nice.

Lastly, I agree the black might be a bit strong. I've got a watch that is is in-between that I absolutely love and do not have any issues really pulling off so this color might be more ideal.

20180720_100305.jpg

20180720_100314.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was talking with VC just a few minutes ago about their super ideal melee. They may not sell me just a single melee stone. Also, it does not seem favorable I can request my preferred set of proportions as they do not certify their stones and their SARIN scanner will not accurately read a stone that small. Lastly, should I use VC for the entire ring (to get their melee) it seems unlikely VC can make a ring in anything but gold or platinum. I have submitted a formal quote request and hope to hear something soon about my options with them.

I will be in Houston later this week. I may have to ask WF and BGD about some glorified super ideal dust, and see what options they have.

And yes, I really like the modified euroshank quite a bit. I wanted something a bit different that every schmuck doesn't have. Most have harder lines, which the fiancee didn't care for but she does like this one. Also, I seen one with beveled edges in euro style that was nice.

Lastly, I agree the black might be a bit strong. I've got a watch that is is in-between that I absolutely love and do not have any issues really pulling off so this color might be more ideal.

20180720_100305.jpg

20180720_100314.jpg

Hmm. While you’re at BG you might want ask how small his signature line goes. I think it’s as small as 10 pointers, which given your finger size and band width, may well work.

Yeah my watch band is a dark grey, and be face is a guilloche here, and works with most things.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Hey @sledge
Looked around for you, here is a pretty good example of the 18k grey gold in brush finish. Also some mens bands from a maker in Canada (JJ Buckar) in 18k grey gold.
20181126_180843.png 20181126_181258.jpg

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the Versace. And "yes" (!!) on a small super-ideal diamond somewhere. This ring looks like it would be "Sledge-worthy".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results