carat
color
clarity

Introducing my 3.92ct OEC Victor Canera split-shank halo

violetjane

Rough_Rock
Hi Ann!

gorgeous ring!

do you know the specs on the halo diamonds? size, cut, etc. Trying to have a VC style ring made here in my hometown and want to be VERY specific with the jeweler. Thank you!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
violetjane|1452089130|3971583 said:
Hi Ann!

gorgeous ring!

do you know the specs on the halo diamonds? size, cut, etc. Trying to have a VC style ring made here in my hometown and want to be VERY specific with the jeweler. Thank you!

Hi violet, not sure how often anne comes around anymore. I've worked with Victor and he usually does not specify the size of the melee. He just uses the size that he thinks will work best with YOUR specific center stone. For example on mine the melee in the basket are a different size from the melee on my shank. That is why you should work with Victor directly if you want this look. Good luck. I hope Anne sees your question. Btw, Is your stone the same size (dimension wise) as anne's because you know that it's all about proportion.

violetjane

Rough_Rock
LLJsmom|1452114538|3971786 said:
violetjane|1452089130|3971583 said:
Hi Ann!

gorgeous ring!

Hi violet, not sure how often anne comes around anymore. I've worked with Victor and he usually does not specify the size of the melee. He just uses the size that he thinks will work best with YOUR specific center stone. For example on mine the melee in the basket are a different size from the melee on my shank. That is why you should work with Victor directly if you want this look. Good luck. I hope Anne sees your question. Btw, Is your stone the same size (dimension wise) as anne's because you know that it's all about proportion.

Hi LLJ thanks for your response :)

My stone is a 2.04 ct round brilliant. Long, long story but I ( like a dummy) walked into a local store, showed the jeweler a million pics of the VC and said, can you copy this exact ring? he says yes, of course it didn't turn out that way, and he's offered to re-make it which I'm taking him up on. So I'm trying to gather the specifics of the VC 'look" so that he can do his best. It wasn't a $ thing but rather I trusted that he COULD do the exact copy ( lesson learned) AND I really like to keep my money local to support my town, if I can. So we'll see. If I still don't love and adore it, I'll wear it and then at some point sell the setting and go directly to VC when I can, because I assume I'll take a bath on selling the setting I have if I go that route ( if you want to see pics, I have a thread on rocky talk titled ( what to do when you dislike your custom setting".

Eventually I'd love a cushion or an OEC stone anyway, a little larger than my current stone maybe 2.5-3.00 ct, so maybe this ring will be the 'right now ' ring rather than the forever ring. The main issues i have with my ring as is ( there are a few) but the main is that the inner halo is not angled, its flat, there's too too too much 'metal' ( holding my hand out , I can't see each individual little round stone, just looks like a blob of metal, to me) and it also looks too 'clunky' to my eye, not elegant. I have shorter fingers and it just looks way to big and awkward on my finer, if ykwim.

So we'll see, I think he only does casting, I don't think he can do hand forged but his casting work IS very good. I just want an elegant loking ring. He also used halo stones that are more faceted, i think than VC does? But I think VC does single cuts bc my understanding it it creates more of a vintage look, or more surface? Maybe that's why the stones are more eye-visible that when you need all that prongy metal stuff going on. I'm just trying to do my hhomework so I can go in for our lets try again meeting knowing what I'm talking about lol.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi VioletJane,

LL's right, I don't post much now, but I do read somewhat regularly. For your questions, see my post in this thread from Feb 2 2013. Someone else was asking for similar info. I hope that helps!

Thanks everyone for your compliments on the ring. I still love this piece and enjoy it very much.

Anne

PS - Melee is round brilliant, but I know Victor also does single cut. I would have considered it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anne, I see it now. So Victor specified the melee size. That's great. I just gave my stone to him and let him decide. I had a general idea of how wide the shank would be.

Violet, this is the last time I will post on this thread cause I don't want to jack Anne's thread on her gorgeous ring.

Please note that Anne's center stone is 9.4x9.9, and it's 3.92 carats.

Your stone is 2 carats, and probably a little more than 8mm. So I wouldn't automatically assume the size of her melee will work for your stone. You should really consider this.

I think you should resurrect your old thread if you want to continue this conversation. Good luck!!

Anne, thanks for answering. How are you enjoying your ring? Any new pics to post? ;-) You know we can never get enough of this sublimely gorgeous ring.

violetjane

Rough_Rock
thanks again, love your ring, everything about it! :angel:

sparklestress24

Rough_Rock
Hi LLJ thanks for your response :)

My stone is a 2.04 ct round brilliant. Long, long story but I ( like a dummy) walked into a local store, showed the jeweler a million pics of the VC and said, can you copy this exact ring? he says yes, of course it didn't turn out that way, and he's offered to re-make it which I'm taking him up on. So I'm trying to gather the specifics of the VC 'look" so that he can do his best. It wasn't a $ thing but rather I trusted that he COULD do the exact copy ( lesson learned) AND I really like to keep my money local to support my town, if I can. So we'll see. If I still don't love and adore it, I'll wear it and then at some point sell the setting and go directly to VC when I can, because I assume I'll take a bath on selling the setting I have if I go that route ( if you want to see pics, I have a thread on rocky talk titled ( what to do when you dislike your custom setting".

Eventually I'd love a cushion or an OEC stone anyway, a little larger than my current stone maybe 2.5-3.00 ct, so maybe this ring will be the 'right now ' ring rather than the forever ring. The main issues i have with my ring as is ( there are a few) but the main is that the inner halo is not angled, its flat, there's too too too much 'metal' ( holding my hand out , I can't see each individual little round stone, just looks like a blob of metal, to me) and it also looks too 'clunky' to my eye, not elegant. I have shorter fingers and it just looks way to big and awkward on my finer, if ykwim.

So we'll see, I think he only does casting, I don't think he can do hand forged but his casting work IS very good. I just want an elegant loking ring. He also used halo stones that are more faceted, i think than VC does? But I think VC does single cuts bc my understanding it it creates more of a vintage look, or more surface? Maybe that's why the stones are more eye-visible that when you need all that prongy metal stuff going on. I'm just trying to do my hhomework so I can go in for our lets try again meeting knowing what I'm talking about lol.

Is there a pic of how your locally made VC turned out the second time?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@anne_h Gosh, your ring is perfection :kiss2:

Are you still wearing it daily & how has it held up all these years later?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results