shape
carat
color
clarity

im panicking that i wont make it!! lol

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
For what its worth, I totally agree with Sara here.

Sorry for my over excitement earlier. I had just received my new AVC from GOG an was somewhat overcome with diamond emotion. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do. I love the effort you have put into this. You and your girl deserve the best outcome after all this!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 12:40:23 PM
Author: cluelessguy2010

Date: 6/25/2010 12:12:53 PM
Author: amc80
If you have been talking about rings/marriage/engagement/etc., then I would say yes, she will be expecting it. Maybe expecting is too strong of a word, but she will at least be hoping for it. If your goal is to completely catch her off guard, I would do it before the cruise. If your goal is to have the perfect, romantic proposal, well, I would still do it before the cruise :)
so when she said ''i dont think you will ask me until some time in 2011'' you think that was bull? you think she thinks i will be doing it sooner, and is hoping for it sooner??
we do talk about getting married all the time...this morning she texted me ''im 100% ready to marry you'' but like i said, we have only been together for a year, so im not sure HOW MUCH she really expects it anytime soon
hahaha... when I told my husband that it mean "Propose to me right now!"
2.gif
When she said you won''t do it until next year she was either fishing for information or trying to convince herself so she would not get too excited.

damons

Shiny_Rock
I know I am the minority here, but I think you should wait.

I waited 6 weeks and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but it was totally worth it. I had planned a little weekend getaway for us at the beach, and while I totally wanted to propose as soon as I got the ring, I forced myself to wait because I knew she would love the proposal on the beach...and she did.

Personally, I didn''t want to propose at home because I wanted to take her away somewhere so we could both enjoy each other without any of the usual weekend "stuff" that we have to do. For example..."Will you marry me? Great, now we have to go food shopping, and do laundry, and clean."

Also, I don''t think your girlfriend is necessarily expecting you to propose on the cruise. Maybe she is, but don''t count on it. My FI and I have been together for almost 4 years, and we have talked about getting married for well over a year, and she was completely surprised when I proposed. She had NO idea that I had a ring.

I think you should go with your original plan and propose on the cruise. She will love whatever you do, but you only propose once, and trust me when I say that August will be here before you know it. And I think you will be happy that you waited.

Just my 2 cents. BTW, the ring is gorgeous!

jaybx09

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 2:00:46 PM
Author: damons
I know I am the minority here, but I think you should wait.

I waited 6 weeks and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but it was totally worth it. I had planned a little weekend getaway for us at the beach, and while I totally wanted to propose as soon as I got the ring, I forced myself to wait because I knew she would love the proposal on the beach...and she did.

Personally, I didn''t want to propose at home because I wanted to take her away somewhere so we could both enjoy each other without any of the usual weekend ''stuff'' that we have to do. For example...''Will you marry me? Great, now we have to go food shopping, and do laundry, and clean.''

Also, I don''t think your girlfriend is necessarily expecting you to propose on the cruise. Maybe she is, but don''t count on it. My FI and I have been together for almost 4 years, and we have talked about getting married for well over a year, and she was completely surprised when I proposed. She had NO idea that I had a ring.

I think you should go with your original plan and propose on the cruise. She will love whatever you do, but you only propose once, and trust me when I say that August will be here before you know it. And I think you will be happy that you waited.

Just my 2 cents. BTW, the ring is gorgeous!
wow!! your the first one who said i should wait..lol...thanks for the advice and the compliment ont he ring..i hope she loves it

amc80

Ideal_Rock
She will be thrilled whenever and wherever you do it though. I think the ideal time would be right before the cruise, like the night before (or the night before you leave for it). That way she is still local and can tell her friends/family, and then the cruise becomes a celebration.

Just make sure you have the correct ring size so she can wear it on the cruise!!

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
I say propose on the 4th of July under the fireworks!!!! AMAZING!!!!! (At the park you were talking about) :)

jaybx09

Shiny_Rock
i just hope if i decide to push it up, and do it 4th of july at the park im thinking of, hopefully there will be fireworks....there are a couple of firework shows close by..just hoping they will be viewable from there...

jaybx09

Shiny_Rock
thanks everyone! wish me luck on figuring this out and making a decision :)
33.gif

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Wishing you the very best of luck!!!!

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Good luck! I''m sure whatever you decide will be perfect and she will love it and remember it always!! :) Just an FYI .... my husband proposed to me on a trip we had planned to Cancun, and like you we had already talked about marriage etc., so I kind of had a feeling he was going to do it then... It was still perfect and magical but not a COMPLETE surprise.... I think your gf may have made the comment about you proposing in a year or so to see your reaction to the timeframe she gave ... just my .02

jaybx09

Shiny_Rock
you know...too bad its summer time and hot out..or i could have went to that park early, hid a bottle of wine and plastic wine glasses somewhere, so that night afer the bbq when we go there (if i do it early
3.gif
) there will be wine (or champagne hidden)....i think it will be too complicated to figure that out...oh well

melz

Shiny_Rock
wouldn''t it be normal for you to bring wine to watch the fireworks with? bring two bottles in a bag, and let the second one be champagne ... or you could have champagne waiting back at the house.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
here''s wishing you all the best of luck! Let me tell you, I just love the thought you''re putting into all of this, and thank you so much for sharing the process with us. Think I''m gonna go give my sweet dear husband a kiss cause you got me feeling dreamy.

I am beyond happy for you and wish you all the best
1.gif

jaybx09

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 3:36:57 PM
Author: Melz
wouldn''t it be normal for you to bring wine to watch the fireworks with? bring two bottles in a bag, and let the second one be champagne ... or you could have champagne waiting back at the house.
hmmmm...we have never brought wine to a park , we usually just go for walks and sit by the water for a little while in this park...however, maybe your right..? if i said "hey, we should stop and get a bottle of wine to sit in the park with" you think that would tip her off at all? i will also have to hope i dont get a drinking in public ticket..lol...although, that would end up being a funny story

jaybx09

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 3:42:19 PM
Author: missydebby
here''s wishing you all the best of luck! Let me tell you, I just love the thought you''re putting into all of this, and thank you so much for sharing the process with us. Think I''m gonna go give my sweet dear husband a kiss cause you got me feeling dreamy.

1.gif
i have that effect on women :) ....lol, kidding (kind of)

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 3:46:20 PM

here's wishing you all the best of luck! Let me tell you, I just love the thought you're putting into all of this, and thank you so much for sharing the process with us. Think I'm gonna go give my sweet dear husband a kiss cause you got me feeling dreamy.

1.gif

If my husband gets some tonight, I'll tell him who to thank
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 3:45:36 PM

Date: 6/25/2010 3:36:57 PM
Author: Melz
hmmmm...we have never brought wine to a park , we usually just go for walks and sit by the water for a little while in this park...however, maybe your right..? if i said ''hey, we should stop and get a bottle of wine to sit in the park with'' you think that would tip her off at all? i will also have to hope i dont get a drinking in public ticket..lol...although, that would end up being a funny story
I don''t think she would think much of it! Tell her you are in the mood to get tipsy in the park with her.

jaybx09

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 4:34:10 PM

1.gif

If my husband gets some tonight, I''ll tell him who to thank
2.gif
haha...ok, cool.... if?? comon! ..like you guys have been telling me..do it! lolol

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 4:36:17 PM

1.gif

2.gif
haha...ok, cool.... if?? comon! ..like you guys have been telling me..do it! lolol

But, I was gonna wait till August!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2010 4:57:43 PM

Date: 6/25/2010 4:36:17 PM

1.gif

2.gif

But, I was gonna wait till August!

Mrdebby ->
Wahhhhh.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
This thread does my heart good.
9.gif

Good luck cluelessguy!!! She''s a lucky gal!

AnnArbor_707

Rough_Rock
cluelessguy: My opinion is to take the ring w/ you when you go on walks or picnics, etc.... when it feels right, ask. Don''t call it waiting and don''t get too wild w/ the planning. Simple is better. This is coming from a single male though, haha.
Some background on me in case you''re wondering where I''m coming from w/ my opinion. I''m 29, been dating my 25yr old gf for over 2.5yrs. After 1.5yrs we went to Hawaii together and pre-trip I was getting a lot of questions from friends, "you''re not going to propose are you..." etc. Because of that I assumed she was getting the same thing so I nipped it in the bud and let her know that I didn''t have any plans to propose in hawaii and didn''t want it to ruin her trip thinking about it. She agreed a ton of her friends were asking. That led to our first "talk" about marriage. She was graduating w/ her masters in 4 months and wanted to know how serious I was so she knew if she should search for jobs out of state (The michigan economy is not exactly booming). I let her know I was serious and wanted her to stay in state for me - that led to me saying that I saw us being married "within 2 years" after she asked, "10 years, 6 years, 2years... or what?" I said OK to the 2 years. Guess what ? 2 years is in Feb. and we''re going on a cruise in December on NCL''s Epic, haha. She''s EXPECTING, haha, to say the least. She definitely remembers the 2yrs comment and has joked that I''m going to wait for 2 yrs to the date even. I hope I haven''t made her sound demanding because she isn''t - I just have a personality to be a partier and "ladies man" (her words, not mine) so some of her friends have placed doubt. I get along w/ everyone, but if a comment popped out from a friend, even if it was an innocent question - that would make my girlfriend worry, lol
This week I got my Brian Gavin halo diamond in the mail. This thing sparkles more than any other diamond I''ve ever seen in my entire life. Sure, I never look at diamonds, but I''m amazed what a hearts and arrow diamond looks like in person - I mean this thing is nuts. Anyway - I''m going to take it w/ me a few places and just sorta feel it out.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread - but I''d wait.... not for the cruise, but just for a casual day that feels right because that''s what I plan to do...

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Great story AnnArbor. She''s so expecting it on the cruise, you''re right you have to do it before! You''ll blow her mind and then you guys can just relax and have fun.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I was proposed to last year on the fourth of july. No fireworks, no beach proposal even though we were there, he walked into the room I was staying when I was still getting dressed right out of the shower. Just his nerves caused him to do strange things I suppose. :)

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t want to be a downer, but before you plan anything outdoors with wine, double check your local laws. Where I live there are some areas that have open container laws and you can get arrested for drinking alcohol in public. I don''t know where you live or anything, but in some areas it is very common to have these laws. I''d hate for you to get in trouble for something like that!

Toastie

Rough_Rock
Trade
Without being too much of a downer on this, did she choose the ring? (I know its a suprise but some ladies pick their ring years before they expect one). I am 99.9million percent sure she will love it, but if there is any doubt, do it before the return policy ends...

ALSO>.. did yuou post a pic of your ring?

Toastie

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/25/2010 12:40:23 PM

Date: 6/25/2010 12:12:53 PM
Author: amc80
If you have been talking about rings/marriage/engagement/etc., then I would say yes, she will be expecting it. Maybe expecting is too strong of a word, but she will at least be hoping for it. If your goal is to completely catch her off guard, I would do it before the cruise. If your goal is to have the perfect, romantic proposal, well, I would still do it before the cruise :)
so when she said ''i dont think you will ask me until some time in 2011'' you think that was bull? you think she thinks i will be doing it sooner, and is hoping for it sooner??
we do talk about getting married all the time...this morning she texted me ''im 100% ready to marry you'' but like i said, we have only been together for a year, so im not sure HOW MUCH she really expects it anytime soon
She knows.

AnnArbor_707

Rough_Rock
Clueless: You pull the trigger yet ? After seeing this thread now all of sudden I have been getting the itch too - I think it''s contagious

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
AnnArbor and Clueless, good luck to the two of you!

Clueless: I think you should wait til the day before your trip as someone suggested earlier so that you could go and celebrate your engagement soon after the proposal. But then again, there is something totally romantic with having it happen spontaneously as well!

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
Man I just saw this thread so I''m late but I LOVE it. Thank you for sharing this process with all of us. You seem like a really awesome and thoughtful boyfriend!

I agree with the majority of people on here. You should do it before the cruise so she can really be surprised. I want to be surprised and I know if we were going on a cruise I would expect it.

Any way you decide to do it is going to be perfect because she''ll be so excited to be engaged to you. Don''t stress over it and just do it when you feel it''s right. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results