shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm holding two Octavias that I'm deciding between

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, did size win or did clarity win? I'd probably go for size because I am a size w$%re, and for that sort of price difference I dare say I would mostly pick the the bigger stone - but I do understand the mind clean/eye clean thing, especially when you are into taking high res pics that show up everything!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, Kenny! We wanted to see the Octavias! Did you decide?

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Then there was a dilemma as the nicer shape/pattern was way costlier. But it's only around $1k difference now, go for the larger one especially if the 1.2 ct doesn't have a similar shape (length of cut corners). Hope to see your choice soon.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed pics! :cheeky:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry guys and gals.
Friday my SO decided we HAD to go visit his family for a few days.
They live several hours away.
He gave me an hour's notice. :angryfire:

We just got back, so I have to rush to take pics tonight and tomorrow.
I have to pick one and ship one back to GOG tomorrow. ;(
I love them both and am about ready to flip a coin.
The 1.2 is a super clean VS1 with AGS 0000 for Cut, Light Performance, Polish, and Symmetry. Very mind-clean.
The 1.51 has a black spot and got AGS 0010, with just a 1 for Polish.
They both have a Thin girdle.

Left: 1.20 F VS1.
Middle: 1.34 H VS2. (My SO's ring)
Right: 1.51 G VS2. Notice the black inclusion on the right side just below 3:00, about mid-way between the middle and the edge.
I think it is also reflected and visible near 9:00.

Here's another shot that is a cool close up of the inclusion in the 1.51.

This inclusion is not visible to me with the naked eye.

Here is a shot of the side opposite the 1.51's inclusion.
Because of its unfortunate location, the one inclusion gets reflected 4 times in the side view ... but I could have that side mounted against the metal of a tension setting and never see that side view.

Many more pics to come.
Next I'll take one of just the two loose diamonds, the 1.2 and the 1.51.
Having the set 1.34 in the middle makes it hard to compare the two on the sides.

screen_shot_2013-09-02_at_9.png

inclusion_close_up.png

screen_shot_2013-09-02_at_0.png

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!!

Kenny -- I love the 1.2! The pattern is just amazing. I feel like you can see the pattern better just based off of the pictures you posted so far. Of course I wouldn't turn down the 1.5... Good luck choosing one!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Nice pics.... Yummy!!!!

good luck in choosing.... 8) 8)

For me the inclusion in the 1.5 would get to me. i know it may be eye clean.... mind clean is another issue.. I would have to see both of them myself to make that final decision.

Nice dilemma!!!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here we go.
1.51 on left and 1.2 on right.

Ignore the slight color difference where the right rock looks warmer. :oops:
It's from using a little LED light for sparkle, that was a tad more blue than the main lights.
I held it too close to the left diamond, which makes the right diamond look more yellow.
Actually the left diamond is a G and the right one is an F.

The left one is more on-axis than the right one.
That's the reason the center looks better.
Also if I back the camera away the right one gets a nicer darker symmetrical contrast pattern in the center, like the left one has in this pic.

It is so much work to get photography to tell the truth. :knockout:

Compare the length of the sides in the middle of the pic.
The 1.2 on the right actually has slightly longer sides.
That means the 1.5 has wider windmills which I like.
Their light performance is so similar as to not be a deciding factor.
Sure, the bigger one has more horse power. :Up_to_something:
But the cut quality is similar.

I don't know where the hail the black inclusion went on the left diamond.
I did not retouch it out ... maybe it's that fuzzy black thing on the top at the edge of a facet with glare. :confused:

screen_shot_2013-09-02_at_11.png

justginger

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1378188743|3513869 said:
Here we go.
1.51 on left and 1.2 on right.

Ignore the slight color difference where the right rock looks warmer. :oops:
It's from using a little LED light for sparkle, that was a tad more blue than the main lights.
I held it too close to the left diamond, which makes the right diamond look more yellow.
Actually the left diamond is a G and the right one is an F.

The left one is more on-axis than the right one.
That's the reason the center looks better.
Also if I back the camera away the right one gets a nicer darker symmetrical contrast pattern in the center, like the left one has in this pic.

It is so much work to get photography to tell the truth. :knockout:

Compare the length of the sides in the middle of the pic.
The 1.2 on the right actually has slightly longer sides.
That means the 1.5 has wider windmills which I like.
Their light performance is so similar as to not be a deciding factor.
Sure, the bigger one has more horse power. :Up_to_something:
But the cut quality is similar.

I don't know where the hail the black inclusion went on the left diamond.
I did not retouch it out ... maybe it's that fuzzy black thing on the top at the edge of a facet with glare. :confused:

I still VERY much prefer the 1.51. Truly a stunningly cut diamond. I've not seen an asscher I've liked more, ever.

The inclusion wouldn't bother me one bit. Honestly, your super macro amazing photos make it look really cool.

Of course only YOU know what will make you happiest, but ohmygoodness, I love that 1.51! :love:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks.

My SO is pressuring me to get the smaller one.
He says my hands are too small to get away with wearing a large diamond.
He forgets I wore a 2+ carat rock for 7 years.

I wish he didn't say that.
Grrr.
He's not much of an enabler. :nono:

Generally I don't give a hoot what others think, but you're supposed to pay attention to an SO.
Hmmmm.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1378200175|3513892 said:
Thanks.

My SO is pressuring me to get the smaller one.
He says my hands are too small to get away with wearing a large diamond.
He forgets I wore a 2+ carat rock for 7 years.

I wish he didn't say that.
Grrr.
He's not much of an enabler. :nono:

Generally I don't give a hoot what others think, but you're supposed to pay attention to an SO.
Hmmmm.

Yes, but you are the one who will be wearing and enjoying it for many years to come hopefully so ultimately it is up to you. I always ask my dh for advice on whatever jewelry I am interested in purchasing but the final choice is mine to make and he is the first to say that while he is giving me his opinion. While it would be great if your SO was 100% in agreement with your choice it is not necessary. Choose the Octavia you are in love with (more) and the one you know you want in your heart.

Also, I might remind him that you did wear a larger stone for all those years and see if he still sticks to his original choice. Sometimes it helps to discuss all the options with my dh especially when his viewpoint is different than mine so I can weigh all the factors good and bad and then come to the right decision for me. Good luck with your decision Kenny.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kenny,

I have been having fun following your thread! I have to say, the 1.51 really jumps out at me - so much so that it made me post my opinion when usually I refrain on 'which one' threads. The Octavia is something truly special to begin with, and then that 1.51 with it's shape... it's got a unique personality that feels 'needle-in-a-haystack' or 'one-in-a-million'. It kind of makes the other one look more ordinary. I love that the 1.20 has F color and lacks the clarity issue, but the unique, mind-blowing beauty of the 1.51 trumps it.

As for listening to SO, I hear you. However, in my experience when you make a decision like this (on fun stuff) where you allow your SO to influence your decision, it can breed some resentment later on. You seem pretty enlightened and in a no nonsense place with yourself, so maybe if you go the route of listening to him you will do so without allowing that to happen.... but your last line felt like you are leaning 1.51 and having him excited over that one would have solidified your hunch. Which, if that's the case, means you know which one your heart desires.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
When I look at the three together, I prefer the 1.20. when I see the second image I am torn. Tough tough choice!!! And we can't be deciding factors for you b/c we can't tell just from images. Just keep them both! :mrgreen:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to say I still much prefer the largest one with the beauty mark.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the 1.5 best for its faceting ... gauging by where the beauty mark is, the cutter tried his damnedest. So, in a way, you could tell yourself it's responsible for the unusual proportions?

I also say you're the one wearing it, at the end of the day, so your SO may have an opinion, but it should by no means be the deciding vote. :rodent:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seeing them side by side, I have to say the 1.5 is my favorite!
The length of the sides really does it!

Kenny --- I can imagine you taking pictures to minimize the inclusion but I can also imagine you spending hours getting pictures of the uniqueness of that inclusion. That first picture set you posted had amazing detail! I think the difference in size & shape is just too visible for you to be happy with the 1.2. It is nice too, but the 1.5 is the one you really keep coming back to.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Just wondering...Did the two of you decide on SO's Octavia or was it a surprise (and very generous gift) to him?

| prefer the one on the left because of the faceting. The Octavia on the right looks more like a traditional asscher - to my eyes anyway.

It's great when you and your partner agree, but is he the type of guy who would remind you often that the smaller stone would have been a better choice? :confused:

I know the feeling when your partner is not really on board with your choice. My DH uses the phrase ' Show it to S------, our daughter'. I have done just that once or twice and her response on each occasion was that I could do better. If she could show me 'better', I might consider it, but that's never happened either.

I've been told that I'm an enabler, but I don't enable anyone to do anything that I wouldn't do.

I've forgotten the size of your SO's Octavia, but I do remember loving the cut (I don't suppose he'd consider the smaller one in trade??)

I think I'd better walk away from this one. Good luck! :appl: :wavey:

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
The 1.51 ct is more unique. Prefer that way over the 1.2 ct. The one and only black inclusion in my VS2 stone gets reflected many times but I can't see it without a loupe.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
isaku5|1378222112|3514001 said:
Just wondering...Did the two of you decide on SO's Octavia or was it a surprise (and very generous gift) to him?

Can you say "Upgrade"?
Over the years I've given him 3 rings, a platinum Christian Bauer with a 0.24 EC diamond, a round ACA 0.82 E VVS1, and the 1.34 H VS2 Octavia.
All 3 were complete surprises.

It's great when you and your partner agree, but is he the type of guy who would remind you often that the smaller stone would have been a better choice? :confused:

He might during an argument; we are not angels. :devil:

(I don't suppose he'd consider the smaller one in trade??)

Oh, I love you.
I'm gonna use that one. :mrgreen:

As I said we aren't angels and the size thing (who gets the bigger rock (even though I've paid for all of them :halo: )) is certainly an elephant in the room that we pretend isn't there. :roll:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1378218177|3513962 said:
I like the 1.5 best for its faceting ... gauging by where the beauty mark is, the cutter tried his damnedest. So, in a way, you could tell yourself it's responsible for the unusual proportions?

Octavias are cut by Yorum F. in Israel.
He posts on PS under the name DiaGem.

Over the years I've discussed the Octavia cut with KarlK, the creator and Jonathan, the vendor.
Apparently Octavias proportions are very hard to cut, and finding rough that makes economic sense is difficult too, and Yorum is a master who makes Octavias possible.

Octavias are not cheap, but after seeing and owning a few diamonds of top-cut I feel Octavias are well worth what they cost.

As to the width of the windmills I seem to remember Karl posting something about it.
Karl, if you're listening is the windmill width determined by each rough or is there a design preference you have?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1378200175|3513892 said:
Thanks.

Hmmmm.
Rule #1...should never pay any attention to your SO... ;))

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't know anything about Octavias but you sound like you prefer the larger one.

I hear what you are saying about how you are supposed to listen to your SO but you are the one that will be wearing it and it sounds like you are also the one purchasing it so I think your opinion edges his out by a slight margin. I think your SO should possibly be listening to your opinion on this one.

(just my two cents)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly? I don't think you love any of them because of their sizes AND inclusions, therefore I am saying none.

BUT if you refuse to use that option, I say the 1.5, regardless of your SO's opinion. Part of my inclination is that I don't think you'll be happy with the size of the 1.2, and part of my thought on that is that he might jsut want you to pick the smaller one bec he wants to have the biggest stone for once ;-)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.51, 1.51...the windmills do it for me and I don't think the inclusion would bother me!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1378237880|3514125 said:
Honestly? I don't think you love any of them because of their sizes AND inclusions, therefore I am saying none.

I hear you and you're right.
Neither is perfect for me, but there are always so few Octavias for sale, and if I wait prices will likely be higher, and there's no guarantee anything in the future will be closer to the specs I prefer.

I can't just ask them to cut one for me.
Octavias don't work that way, plus I don't like doing commissions as I feel obligated to buy it regardless of how it turns out.

I've decided to keep the 1.51. :wavey:
I'll ship the 1.2 back today.
Deep bow and thanks to all of you.
It really does help to flesh out all the details and listen to the variety of opinions. :appl:
With so much money at stake and the high emotions of such a purchase I could not have made the decision alone.

I'll see if I can take some :lickout: glamor shots.

A big shout out to GOG, Jonathan and Vicky.
They've been very patient with one fussy customer. :devil:
And of course to KarlK the genius who designed the Octavia! :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY! Congratulations on your new GORGEOUS Octavia. It's a really lovely stone.
Wear it in the best of health, Kenny!
I can't wait to wear it at the next GTG :devil:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1378244235|3514169 said:
YAY! Congratulations on your new GORGEOUS Octavia. It's a really lovely stone.
Wear it in the best of health, Kenny!
I can't wait to wear it at the next GTG :devil:

Thanks Gypsy.
BTW, since you wore my SO's Octavia so long at the LV GTG do you realize you and he now have limited 'spousal privileges' ? :devil: :Up_to_something: :o :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HELP!
I'm all strung out on diamonds. ;))

jkjkjk2.png

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been following this thread with great interest, and I have to say I'm happy you chose the 1.5! It's just such a unique looking stone - as was said elsewhere here the other looks too much like a "regular" asscher in it's shape. Beautiful! Will you chose a tension setting again?

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on the 1.5 ct! More pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results