carat
color
clarity

I'm holding two Octavias that I'm deciding between

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1376104658|3500100 said:
I know how much you enjoy your SO's octavia and I'm so happy for you , that you are going to have one of your own to wear and enjoy - yay for you, Kenny!! :appl:

Say you go for the 1.51 G vs2 at 70% more--- would you regret spending the extra money? would you feel guilty? would you wish that you'd kept the H VVS1? Would you regret NOT spending the extra chunk to get the larger stone, when you see how little of the actual patterning you'd see in the smaller size after setting
For me - I can create a self imposed guilt trip about spending money on myself, like NOBODY!! I seriously wonder if I thrive best feeling guilty or happy??? ....

So here is how I'd break it down ---
Logically, you see more of the patterning of a stone whose cut and performance you ADORE in the larger size. You have a whiter stone too and it is still significantly smaller than the 2+ ct asscher you were uncomfortable sporting. Emotionally, it brings you joy to see your SO enjoy his Octavia, think of the joy this would bring to you! Financially, you said you can afford it (but have to do some 'head wrapping to get to parting with the cash!) so why not treat yourself? You are a wonderful man who has gone thru a health scare and come out shining... treat yourself to the larger stone, embrace the beauty and wear it with no guilt!!!

DO IT - go for it!! Let me help enable you!!! :praise:

Hi Kenny, First of all I could not agree more with Enerchi's break down above. I'd go for the larger stone. I fully admit to being a size whore though. I can tell by your description how much you'd enjoy looking at the stone on your finger everyday. Do you think the spot will bother you? If not, go for it.

Diamond lust is a terrible disease. It's right up there with the dreaded DDS.

Can't wait to hear what you decide!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Calliecake.
Actually I did decide; I bought the 1.51 G VS2.

This is an old thread that isaku5 replied to.
She has good manners and commented here instead of replying to another thread over on RockyTalk, that I was hijacking, where this thread was mentioned.

I'm LOVING wearing the Octavia.
I'm an old fart and that beauty mark isn't even visible, to me, without a loupe.

Just last night I was in a restaurant in Studio City California, near the epicenter of Hollywood's entertainment industry, a playground dripping with diamonds.
The man sitting next to me spoke up, "I've seen many huge diamonds in my life but none sparkled like yours. What is it?"
His blinged-out date was clearly annoyed.

I'm not making this up.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I'm sorry. I got so excited seeing this thread that I just jumped in, started reading and never even looked at the date. Of course I believe the comment you received last night. I'm sure this happens quite often to you. I would probably have grabbed on to your hand and examined your ring for an hour. Your stone is so beautiful and the fact that they are so rare makes it all the more special. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Callie

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's all good. :dance:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="kenny|1409610456|

Just last night I was in a restaurant in Studio City California, near the epicenter of Hollywood's entertainment industry, a playground dripping with diamonds.
The man sitting next to me spoke up, "I've seen many huge diamonds in my life but none sparkled like yours. What is it?"

I'm not making this up.[/quote]

Thanks to you the guy must buy her a 5ct Octavia now... :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1409549033|3742767 said:
I spent a good portion of my life evaluating for perfection (musician) and over the years the most exciting, memorable and transporting performances were not perfect.

What do you play?
I play piano, classical, and steel-string acoustic guitar ... ala James Taylor music.

Yes, in a musical performance technical perfection is one thing but stirring emotion in the listener is quite another.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1409615083|3743080 said:
[quote="kenny|1409610456|]

I'm not making this up.

Thanks to you the guy must buy her a 5ct Octavia now... :lol: [/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
:lol:

That would not surprise me.
They/he/she clearly had $$$$$$$$$. :$$): :$$): :$$):

The guy now is in possession of all of GOG/Jonathan's contact info, PS info, and knows all about KarlK ... the hero to whom we bow! :appl:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1409615533|3743084 said:
The guy now is in possession of all of GOG/Jonathan's contact info, PS info, and knows all about KarlK ... the hero to whom we bow! :appl:
:appl: :appl: You rock!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1409615290|3743082 said:
azstonie|1409549033|3742767 said:
I spent a good portion of my life evaluating for perfection (musician) and over the years the most exciting, memorable and transporting performances were not perfect.

What do you play?
I play piano, classical, and steel-string acoustic guitar ... ala James Taylor music.

Yes, in a musical performance technical perfection is one thing but stirring emotion in the listener is quite another.

My degrees are in clarinet performance (USC) but I also play flute, alto and tenor sax, bass clarinet and keyboards. My goal at the time was to become a clarinetist in a top orchestra. There were't many jobs available when I graduated so I was fortunate to get work playing the studios---TV themes, jingles, movie soundtracks, backup to recording artists, etc. In my younger days I also played in lounges and bars and when truly truly hungry, the most dreaded of all gigs: WEDDINGS :lol:

Glad to know of another musician here at PS, I also see a poster, "cflutist" and the poster who has a cello in her avatar...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow USC.
That's a highly-rated music school.

Speaking of clarinet, I loooove tone and control of the clarinetist Richard Stoltzman.
Often it seems like clarinetists are working very hard to suppress the instrument's unfortunate sonic artifacts.
Stoltzman's clarinet seems a magic instrument with few of those unfortunate clarinety blemishes. ;-)
It's like his sound is Photoshopped.

I once heard an interview of him.
He recalled a recital he gave as a child in which a woman in the audience was crying.
He thought he had played terribly.
Afterwards she told him something like, "Your tone is so beautiful, it just made me cry."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KVDwA97h3k

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get.out.

RS, one of my top 3 fave clarinet players. I've heard him play all around the world and the international clarinet convention (where I was the most blinged out!).

Kenny, dude, not only do you have superior taste in diamond but also in musicians.

Yep, USC is the $hit if you're out to be a professional musician. Had the time of my life there.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You just made my entire week, Kenny. Just when you think the world is one big stinking pit of complete vulgarity (I only like moderate vulgarity!)...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1409715444|3743822 said:
Get.out.

RS, one of my top 3 fave clarinet players. I've heard him play all around the world and the international clarinet convention (where I was the most blinged out!).

Kenny, dude, not only do you have superior taste in diamond but also in musicians.

Yep, USC is the $hit if you're out to be a professional musician. Had the time of my life there.

Thanks.
Who are your other two favorites?

I want to buy a CD of Mozart's Clarinet concerto, that one with the sublime adagio second movement.
Which clarinetist/recording do you recommend?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You must mean The Best Concerto Ever, right? Serious academics in music have thus deemed the Mozart Clarinet Concerto much to the chagrin of trumpet players and violinists and the odd horn player.

I digress. Your first choice is: Robert Marcellus, soloist, Szell/Cleveland Orchestra, the Great Performances label. With this in your library, you are now an honorary clarinetist and as such must buy only the first round :dance:

Next best: David Shifrin, soloist, Gerard Schwarz,/Mostly Mozart Orchestra. Delos label.

Usually Deutsche Grammophone recordings are the best for the Germanic composers. In this case, the soloist themselves drives the choice and their faithfulness to the original clarinetist's cadenza.

Enjoy!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results