carat
color
clarity

I'm holding two Octavias that I'm deciding between

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks EC and Ash.

Here's a depressing pic for asscher lovers.
It is a 1.2 carat asscher next to a 0.83 ct ideal-cut round ... a Solasfera; both happen to be F VS1.
Solasfera has a diameter of 6.18 to 6.21 mm, while the Octavia is 6.01 x 6.00 mm.

Yes a few salt crystals are over the edge of the Octavia, perhaps making it look smaller ... but ... still!
They say asschers face up small, but when I see such a dramatic example side by side I cry. ;(

BTW, notice how bright the Octavia is!
Kudos to Karl for pulling off the impossible in a step cut! :appl:

This is the last pic of the 1.2 Octavia. ;(
I'm off to FedEx since they told me the deadline is 6:15 PM, in less than 2 hours.

Buhy Buhy 1.2 Octavia! :((
I'm sure you'll find a good home. :wavey:
Thanks for a few sleazy nights of ecstasy! :tongue:

screen_shot_2013-09-03_at_4.png

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since neither isn't an option this is a good choice. If more become available later and it's cost effective to upgrade/swap, do so later, but if you think you are happy with this one, wear and love it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ecf8503|1378248574|3514188 said:
Will you chose a tension setting again?

A tension setting is a near-certainty.

Which metal and which maker is up in the air.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1378245773|3514178 said:
Gypsy|1378244235|3514169 said:
YAY! Congratulations on your new GORGEOUS Octavia. It's a really lovely stone.
Wear it in the best of health, Kenny!
I can't wait to wear it at the next GTG :devil:

Thanks Gypsy.
BTW, since you wore my SO's Octavia so long at the LV GTG do you realize you and he now have limited 'spousal privileges' ? :devil: :Up_to_something: :o :lol:

Yikes!! :o :o :o :o :o :o

:wavey:

Thanks for all the eye candy with your great pics!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Kenny,

I am glad that you have made the decision! Congrats! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Now for the setting! I would assume that it would be similar to SO? That is a stunning setting for the Octavia... :lickout:

One day, when i decide to upgrade, i MAY consider this option----- as you say- gotta keep up with the Kenny's!!!!!! :cheeky: :cheeky:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I am so pleased you decided to keep the 1.51, for my own selfish reasons - I can't wait to see a million photos of it!! :love:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Far prefer the 1.51. Not only is it more octagonal on its perimeter but also when looking at the table. It looks so much
better than the other generic look. Is this not how the original Royal Asscher looked. I remember years ago seeing an
asscher and thinking it was beautiful but never could have afforded it, then years after looking at asschers and thinking
they didn't look as good as I remembered them. I then thought maybe what I saw was a Royal Asscher but don't have
anyway of finding out for sure. It is just so much more unique and to my eyes much more beautiful. I like great clarity too,
and well this is a VS2 so is great but the cut does trump the clarity as someone said and the fact you can't see it with
the naked eye. I was thinking it was visible pages ago when you were saying how 'black' the inclusion looked but now you
say it is eye clean there is no question in my mind that you made the right decision. Beautiful diamond - it really is.
Above Ame said about you trading in later if one becomes available you want. There is no way I would trade this one in unless
the next one was the same shape with the wider windmills. I noticed the difference straight away when you first posted it.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
kenny said:
I've decided to keep the 1.51.
WOO-HOO!

:appl: :love: :appl: :love: :appl: :love:

kenny|1378248313|3514186 said:
HELP!
I'm all strung out on diamonds. ;))

Holy crap! If only you had another little yellow asscher, you could make a kick ass three stone with that squarer Octavia. Mmmmmmm.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, as much as I love your exquisite close ups, can I trouble you for some real-life perspective shots please? Some casual snaps on the back of your hand? That would be cool. :))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you made a great choice you can never have "big enough" when it comes to diamonds despite what our SOs and others say. And anyway it had the better pattern to my eye (probably because it was larger and therefore the pattern is optically more interesting to look at.....)

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kenny,

It is an absolutely gorgeous stone. I know ths is more than just an ascher cut, but I decided recently that my favorite cut is the ascher. I guess I need to keep learning. Wear it in good health.

Annette

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats Kenny!!.. :love: :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JaneSmith|1378303587|3514335 said:
Kenny, as much as I love your exquisite close ups, can I trouble you for some real-life perspective shots please? Some casual snaps on the back of your hand? That would be cool. :))

Thank you.

Yes, I'll take that pic soon. :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1378319794|3514468 said:
Hi Kenny,
It is an absolutely gorgeous stone. I know ths is more than just an ascher cut, but I decided recently that my favorite cut is the ascher. I guess I need to keep learning. Wear it in good health. Annette

Thanks.
I know I'm a loudmouth about the Octavia, but of course whatever shape anyone likes is the perfect shape for them.
No shape is 'the best' shape.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS so glad you're going for the 1.5! The shape is really super special, and it's going to be awesome in a tension setting! :appl:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrates!!!!!!!!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1378230859|3514072 said:
Circe|1378218177|3513962 said:
As to the width of the windmills I seem to remember Karl posting something about it.
Karl, if you're listening is the windmill width determined by each rough or is there a design preference you have?
There is only so much I can say within the rules.
There are actually 3 generations of Octavia.
The 1.51 is the last of the first generation.
The corners are slightly smaller on the second generation for a few reasons:
1: I did a poll and more people liked slightly smaller corners.
2: they were very close to uncuttable using the best cutters and equipment. The 1.51 started out as a 1.65 and had to be redone to fine tune the p3 facets twice.
3: the corners are still wider than RA and 99.9% of generics in generation 2 and 3. It is just against a first generation that they look smaller.

The second generation was redesigned from the ground up for the same performance, same overall look, easier to cut.

The third generation has some slight changes to the girdle area(thinner) to easier get AGS0.

Even with the redesign they are about 5x harder to cut than an h&a round.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: :appl:

Can't wait to see the finished ring on your hand!

Thanks the beautiful photo documentation of your decision-making process, Kenny!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations, kenny!! It is gorgeous! I am looking forward to seeing pics of your future ring. :appl: =)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Finally, here's the first one Jane.

That's not a lizard.
That's my skin.

screen_shot_2013-09-07_at_11.png

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!! :appl: :appl: and :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a spectacular stone, Kenny! :love: :love: :love:

I also felt it was special having a stone cut by Yoram, and the Octavia is even more rare than my AVR. I agree with you that it is worth having a unique and spectacularly cut diamond!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1378621973|3516663 said:

Finally, here's the first one Jane.

That's not a lizard.
That's my skin.
Freckles are cute, diamond is :o Thank you for the extra pics!

Yep, I neeeeeeeeeeeeeed one.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I haven't commented on the Octavia diamonds, mainly because I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, but I've followed the thread and I just wanted to congratulate you, Kenny, on scoring an amazing diamond! The bigger one was absolutely the right choice, in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing it in the setting! :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, your new stone is just spectacular! From that last shot, I can see the beautiful detail of the stone. I think you made a great choice. I hope you'll start a new thread in SMTB when the stone is set. Congrats to you on such a beauty!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
FANTASTIC CHOICE!! Oh Kenny, I'm so glad you went for the larger Octavia!!
yayy.gif

I know nothing about Octavias, but followed all the posts and this has definitely been a well thought out decision that you clearly anguished over, considering the pros and cons of all your options. Even tho that *GORGEOUS* stone has an inclusion that is reflected, I would imagine it is so minimal IRL, that its not going to be noticeable--- but its the mind clean thing. I predict that once this beauty is set in one of your favourite tension settings, that mind thing will just go "POOF" and you'll probably rarely think of it after a while!!

I am so pleased for you!!! YAY --- good things happen to good people, and, to those who have great patience!! You are a good person Kenny and I'm so glad you've found a stone that makes you so happy!!
thum12.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
So sorry, Kenny, I had forgotten about this thread and the number of 'enablers' who prompted you to buy it. :wavey:

Congratulations to the only two Octavia household I've heard of :appl: :wavey:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, Kenny! :clap: The 1.51 was my fave of the three splendid candidates. I'd never seen an Octavia before, they are stunning.

Re the 'natural.' I spent a good portion of my life evaluating for perfection (musician) and over the years the most exciting, memorable and transporting performances were not perfect.

Your SOs ring is fantastic, that must have been some surprise! Good going. :wavey:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great choice Kenny. :love:
Congrats and wear it in good health.
I just LOVE your collection of FCDs too.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results