shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm holding two Octavias that I'm deciding between

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Kenny - Do you find that the Octavias remain "clean" looking for a longer period than the traditional asscher? Asschers and Emeralds tend to look "dirty" easier, like when dust and such collect on them, so I have to clean my emerald fairly often. How do the Octavia's fair in this department? I seriously just love these stones.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dragonfly411|1376513677|3503093 said:
Kenny - Do you find that the Octavias remain "clean" looking for a longer period than the traditional asscher? Asschers and Emeralds tend to look "dirty" easier, like when dust and such collect on them, so I have to clean my emerald fairly often. How do the Octavia's fair in this department? I seriously just love these stones.

After living with my partner's Octavia and my generic asscher for years you'd think I'd be able to answer this.
But I cleaned my at least daily and he'd clean his Octavia maybe twice a month. :knockout:
Whenever we were going out I'd grab it and clean it 'for him' the old lazy bones. :evil:

I will say this, even dirty his Octavia seemed to still have surprisingly good light performance.
I can't comment on my generic asscher when dirty since it was never dirty.

Sorry.

I can speculate though ... a generic asscher has longer side facets than an Octavia.
The larger a facet the more it reveals inclusions, body color, and I'd assume dirt.
If this is true than an Octavia would remain "clean looking" longer.

blondie~

Rough_Rock
I thought about it. Your SO's setting is the perfect setting for the stone. I really like the brushed / satin finish too. I'd do that in a heartbeat. A diamond just explodes with sparkle.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. That setting is absolutely perfect for an Octavia!

I'd for sure choose between the 1.2 and the 1.5! Can't wait to see what you decide, Kenny!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still love the 1.5 the best from photos just because I love the shape so much! But I'm sure seeing them in real life tells a different story. Can't wait to see what you decide! :appl:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1376102080|3500075 said:
Seeing the beautiful pattern seems like it would be an important part of the enjoyment, especially for someone as visually aware and sophisticated as you. If you go for the one carat, will you always be watching their inventory to see what else they cut for a possible upgrade? If so, diamond prices do not seem to be heading back down anytime soon, so probably better to just bite the bullet now.

If it helps, I'll buy your FCD collection for $10K. :wink2: (I wish!)

I'll see your bid and raise you $1. :tongue:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still say you need to hold out, and go probably 1.5 or larger.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1376150140|3500275 said:
Laila619|1376107332|3500122 said:
ame|1376105243|3500106 said:
You don't sound in love with either so I say neither and keep looking and waiting for more.

Ditto. I don't want you to settle...

I hate to be a stick in the mud, but... me three. Have you asked Jon when he might get more octavias?

(ETA - Hi Danny! :wavey: )

Back at you, VRBeauty! :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The new F is a contender. I like the shape and I really like the 6mm size. Can't wait to see what you think in person.

I'm partial to F-G colors.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
That ring is gorgeous! Thanks, kenny, for sharing the pictures of your partner's ring. =)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post some pics when the new stone arrives next to the larger one that I assume you still have....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, a little bit of progress, maybe.

I returned the 1.06 H VVS1.
Today I ordered the 1.20 F VS1.

We'll see. :Up_to_something:

I've been wearing my SO's ring around with the 1.51 in the ring clip to compare.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1377300061|3508896 said:
Well, a little bit of progress, maybe.

I returned the 1.06 H VVS1.
Today I ordered the 1.20 F VS1.

We'll see. :Up_to_something:

I've been wearing my SO's ring around with the 1.51 in the ring clip to compare.

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Updates?

I'm dying to know which one you pick!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for asking.

The 1.2 F VS1 cost a lot more than the 1.06 H VVS1.
I wired the funds Fri.
GOG is closed Sun and Mon so I assume they'll ship today and I'll get it tomorrow morning. :errrr:

Waiting for a diamond is the worst. ;(

My 30-day period with the 1.51 is almost over so I'll have only 4 days with both diamonds to decide.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I'm soooooooooo excited for you!!!!!!

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Hope to see your comparison review soon. From reading the posts in front, it seemed that you wanted to sell a smaller asscher and get a larger one. The larger one sold while yours was still on consignment. Is there a reason why you didn't want to do a trade up but rather sell old to buy new? Sorry for th thread hijack, but I'm just curious.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ashleigh|1377623469|3510732 said:
From reading the posts in front, it seemed that you wanted to sell a smaller asscher and get a larger one. The larger one sold while yours was still on consignment.
Is there a reason why you didn't want to do a trade up but rather sell old to buy new?

Yes, a huge green reason.
I bought the original stone 7 years ago and recently sold it on consignment.
Because of the dramatic price increases in the last 7 years it sold for 58% more than I paid for it.
Even after the consignment fee I received 42% more than I paid for the diamond.

If I traded up they only credit the original price that I paid, not the diamond's value today.
Well over $10,000 would have evaporated into thin air. ;(

Of course the timing of the purchase and sale was just dumb luck.
Diamonds could have fallen in price, in which case I would have traded up.
I guess I do get credit for being patient since the sale took well over a year, during which I had neither the diamond to enjoy nor the payment.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the new stone better, do you like it more or less than the other one?

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1377627068|3510774 said:
Ashleigh|1377623469|3510732 said:
From reading the posts in front, it seemed that you wanted to sell a smaller asscher and get a larger one. The larger one sold while yours was still on consignment.
Is there a reason why you didn't want to do a trade up but rather sell old to buy new?

Yes, a huge green reason.
I bought the original stone 7 years ago and recently sold it on consignment.
Because of the dramatic price increases in the last 7 years it sold for 58% more than I paid for it.
Even after the consignment fee I received 42% more than I paid for the diamond.

If I traded up they only credit the original price that I paid, not the diamond's value today.
Well over $10,000 would have evaporated into thin air. ;(

Of course the timing of the purchase and sale was just dumb luck.
Diamonds could have fallen in price, in which case I would have traded up.
I guess I do get credit for being patient since the sale took well over a year, during which I had neither the diamond to enjoy nor the payment.

Oh, it makes sense why you rather consign then. Now that I know this, I don't want to know how much I would have made consigning instead of trading up. I'll just enjoy my trade up in blissful ignorance.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1377655250|3511095 said:

I don't have the new stone yet.
It will arrive tommorrow morning. :appl:

Recap:
Three Octavia candidates are involved.
Almost a month ago I bought a 1.06 H VVS1, and a 1.51 G VS2 with the intention of comparing and returning one.
I sent the 1.06 back because my old eyes even with glasses cannot quite resolve the beautiful Octavia pattern.
I want to enjoy the pattern and the light performance.

The light performance of both was too similar for me to tell any difference.
In certain moments one looked slightly better, but move the diamond or change the room or the lighting and the other one looked slightly better.
They are so close that it could just be my mind playing games on me.
After I had the two, I noticed a newborn candidate I wanted to see, an 1.20 F VS1 which will arrive tomorrow morning.

I'm hoping I'll be able to make out the pattern in the 1.20.
Plus I really am more comfortable with F VS1 compared to this particular G VS2 since it has a black carbon spot. (Pics soon)
It's eye clean without a loupe, but that black spot would be in every pic I take. :(sad
It's a mind-clean thing, even though I could easily retouch the pic to remove the spot.

Unfortunately the 1.2 is less than $1,000 cheaper than the 1.5. :knockout:
This makes it very hard to decide since I really do prefer the 1.5 size.
Actually a 1.4 F VS1 would be ideal.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ashleigh|1377658340|3511125 said:
Oh, it makes sense why you rather consign then. Now that I know this, I don't want to know how much I would have made consigning instead of trading up. I'll just enjoy my trade up in blissful ignorance.

You are wise.
What's done is done. ;-)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1377663443|3511163 said:
arkieb1|1377655250|3511095 said:

I don't have the new stone yet.
It will arrive tommorrow morning. :appl:

Recap:
Three Octavia candidates are involved.
Almost a month ago I bought a 1.06 H VVS1, and a 1.51 G VS2 with the intention of comparing and returning one.
I sent the 1.06 back because my old eyes even with glasses cannot quite resolve the beautiful Octavia pattern.
I want to enjoy the pattern and the light performance.

The light performance of both was too similar for me to tell any difference.
In certain moments one looked slightly better, but move the diamond or change the room or the lighting and the other one looked slightly better.
They are so close that it could just be my mind playing games on me.

I'm hoping I'll be able to see the pattern in the 1.20.
Plus I really am more comfortable with F VS1 over G VS2.
It's a mind-clean thing.
Unfortunately the 1.2 is less than $1,000 cheaper than the 1.5. :knockout:

Good luck deciding! I haven't seen this cut in person so I'm not sure how apparent the size differences is... Just hope you find the right stone for you. Personally, I'd go for the bigger if the pattern is more pleasing to you...even if that means waiting a few months or pretending Top Ramen is a food group.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Kenny,it's about time for an update!!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I think Kenny was to receive the diamond yesterday. If I'm right, he'll have to 'prepare' for the photo shoot and perfection takes time. :twirl:

I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Patience is supposed to be a virtue so he'll show us the gem when he's ready. :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boatluvr|1377882417|3512532 said:
Hi Kenny -

It's not an Octavia, but it's kind of pretty.....http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-3-2765

That is a really cool diamond.
Thanks for posting.

I'm really torn between the 1.2 and the 1.5.
I'll try to get some pics up.
Sorry, been so busy but I have to decide by tomorrow. ;(

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to seeing the pics, Kenny!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I'm late to the party, but I prefer the bigger one to see the pattern better. I also think it will help ward off DSS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results