shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm holding two Octavias that I'm deciding between

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, sounds like you want a larger cut, so I'd either go w/the larger one or send both back & wait for another that appeals to you.

You said you "shouldn't" spend the money for the larger, but there is no logic behind buying a smaller stone bc it is less $ if it isn't what you want bc the funds are not being properly allocated. Are the funds coming out of your retirement or are you charging the stones on credit or would the bigger stone just require a bit of cutting back on other things to help balance your household budget? I just don't think it's a good idea to settle for a smaller stone if you can figure out other options... Possibly waiting and setting up a fund for bigger and buying later in the year? Keep in mind, I have no idea what these stones cost... It is just good not to have buyers remorse or end up selling a stone that was an uncertain purchase to begin with.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Kenny! :wavey:

As another member of the very small and exclusive Octavia Owners Club, I guess I should put in my two cents, huh? My Octavia was just set and we just got it back yesterday. Both the stone and the setting are killer, and I think that actually having it and wearing it around for a day has given me some new insight on the cut. There's no question that the stone is dazzling-- I work with diamonds every day now and I still have never seen anything like it. I think that at any size, an Octavia is going to be dynamite. That being said, at 1.23ct and 5.94x5.96mm, I would definitely not go any smaller. The stone is perfect on my hand but if it were even the tiniest bit smaller, I wouldn't be able to visually appreciate the pattern. It'd be all fireworks but I wouldn't be able to really see and appreciate the complexity of the cut. The patterning on an Octavia is magnificent and it deserves to be seen and loved.

I think if you're going to spend that amount of money, you should be able to get exactly what you want out of it, and the pattern is a big deal and it's something you seem to really value in an Octavia. If I were in your place, I'd either go for the larger or wait for one in between 1.25 and 1.5. It's not urgent, is it? Though honestly, that 1.5 is just stunning and if I were in your place, I'd go for it without looking back.

I can't wait to see your glamour shots!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd wait. I think with the joy you get from your photography the inclusion will bother you on the larger one. I'd wait for something closer to 6.0-6.3 mm.

And I don't think the smaller one will make you happy.

I prefer the shape and the size of the larger one. And don't see the point of getting a stone whose pattern you cannot enjoy.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you absolutely love one of them?

If not, I'd wait.

You seem to really want the larger size (who can blame you -- what a stunning cut!) but the clarity would not be up to your standards. I think that you would find yourself noticing the spot no matter how carefully it was set and that would take away from your enjoyment.

And like Gypsy pointed out, you love taking pictures. Your photographs are amazing and having the lower clarity would limit what you could do with your diamond.

The right stone will come along! (and when it does I will be drooling over the pictures!)

blondie~

Rough_Rock
The older we get, the more we forget our glasses. But we still look down at our rings. So I'd go for a stone which makes me smile sans glasses.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely the larger one. The smaller one looks more like an asscher to me, in fact I thought it was the octavia next to
a picture of the asscher you had sold at first. The larger one has corners which seem to bevel in or scallop in whereas
I don't see that on the smaller unless it is because of the reflections in the photo.

I was looking for a spot near the middle of the stone and then noticed it was out at the edge so not bad I would say for a VS2.
I know you said it was really black coloured so would need to see that but the way it is in the photo would not bother me for
such a rare cut when you know for certain it cannot be obtained anywhere else since you know who designed it KarlK and that
only GOG sells it. Most things in life you would not have that amount of certainty
unless it was from a big name designer.

You have sold your diamond before through GOG and know you trust them so if another diamond came up you know where
to go to upgrade. Ofcourse the rarity of this diamond size rough and the cut means this may be your last chance for a few years,
are you willing to wait that long if someone else comes along and purchases this fantastic looking stone which is being shown now
on the world wide net so is bound to be sold. If it was what I loved I would get it now before someone else does. If you waited
for one around this size could GOG not give you a price in this same range, for the colour and clarity grade the stone deserves AT THE TIME you buy? I don't understand the bit about not wanting them to price a stone for you, as it seems to myself and others they are genuinely giving internet customers a good deal and not ripping off. I don't see what the difference is about that you would buy these stones at what they say they are worth but not others they source for you as in order to source others the costs may truly be more to find a needle in a haystack so they do need to pass their costs on - to whoever the customer is.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
just think of that spot as a beauty mark.....If Marilyn could pull it off so can your Octavia

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
What I'm about to say comes from the sweetest place in my heart.
F you Kenny, now I need an octavia like that one on the left! :love:

Are you selling that little blue pear? :cheeky: I love that one!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you DO need an Octavia ... for daily multiple diamond orgasms! :Up_to_something: :naughty: :bigsmile:

I am evil, and I must be destroyed. :devil:

Oh, and I'm keeping this baby :wink2: ...

screen_shot_2013-08-11_at_1.png

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1376254289|3500934 said:
Yes, you DO need an Octavia ... for daily multiple diamond orgasms! :Up_to_something: :naughty: :bigsmile:

Yowzers!! Where do I sign up for that daily multiple offer!?!? :kiss:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, I think I'm the only one who prefers the look of the smaller one!

However, being that size, I wonder about seeing the pattern easily-so, I would not get either and just wait for a bigger one. You've waited this long already..I'd hate for you to get the bigger one when it doesn't sound like it's whispering sweet nothings in your ear, and then 6 months from now Jon gets in your holy grail.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with a lot of the other posters...the one on the left has a beautiful shape. The one on the right is nice too
but the length of its sides compared to the windmills is somewhat off to me when I think of an Octavia.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the larger one. A black inclusion would bug me though and I would never be totally happy with it. I would probably wait for a larger stone with no inclusion. I really must have one of these stones for a pendant. They not only call my name, they shout at me! :love: :love: :love:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1376202813|3500630 said:
I'd wait. I think with the joy you get from your photography the inclusion will bother you on the larger one. I'd wait for something closer to 6.0-6.3 mm.

And I don't think the smaller one will make you happy.

I prefer the shape and the size of the larger one. And don't see the point of getting a stone whose pattern you cannot enjoy.

+1

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
May I just say: I'm really enjoying this discussion. I know nothing about Octavias but am learning now. They sound just amazing. I haven't commented on which stone is "better" since I don't know. I can only comment on the emotional side of the purchase, as I have already done. Can't believe only four are currently available for sale in the world. That makes me think that you should grab the larger stone IF you truly love it and IF the inclusion won't bother you.

Someone else said that perhaps you could make cutbacks in other areas of your life to afford it, and this is also a good idea. Not exactly the same thing, but when I was young and single, and wanted to save up for a special trip to a paradise island in the Indian Ocean, I coloured my own hair each month for 18 months instead of going to the hairdresser and stopped buying books but used the library. The monthly savings paid for the trip.

I know it's not that simple with such a large purchase, but if you really love that diamond, there must be actions you can take to make yourself feel better about the outlay, whether selling current possessions that you don't use - doesn't have to be jewellery - or making cutbacks. Or both.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1376249742|3500892 said:
just think of that spot as a beauty mark.....If Marilyn could pull it off so can your Octavia

Good chuckle, thank you Neil :lol: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take the larger one, Kenny. I got a great 1 ct asscher from GOG to fit a setting I bought, and it is beautiful but honestly, bigger is better with specialty cut stones to a degree. I mean, I can't wear huge stones, either, but my absolute minimum would be 1.5 in an Octavia. The spot wouldn't bother me too much if it is eyeclean. It was sort of like me with the AVR's...very small selection and I had to choose from the 3 closest to the specs I wanted or I might have waited forever and not gotten one.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
You HAVE to get the larger one. The bigger corners are so awesome. Seriously, there's no comparison. I agree with the others who said that the smaller one looks a lot more like a regular asscher than an Octavia. At first glance I thought it was a regular asscher. If you can't see the inclusion with your naked eye, and you can get it set so it isn't visible at all, then it basically doesn't exist!

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Rather than take photos of your fcd collection for our enjoyment, could you part with a few pieces and buy the 1.51 ct for your own enjoyment since you don't wear the fcd but can wear your Octavia 24/7. Cost per wear is more worth it.

I can understand not wanting to commission a stone as I was the same regarding AVR too. If I get GOG to cut a AVR in my specs and suddenly there's a large feather due to the cutting process, I'd be reluctant to take it and feel bad if I don't even though Jon is such a nice fellow.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I would DEFINITELY go for the larger stone. No question.

If the clarity bugs you and you are fine with waiting foreverrrrrr to find a new stone, then I might say consider waiting. But I don't think you will be happy with the smaller stone because of the size and the shape so I would definitely eliminate that option.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Kenny - Your diamond threads are pure torture. There is going to come a day when I will have an Octavia. Someday. Somehow. It will happen.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1376254289|3500934 said:

Daily multiples? W00T! :o

blondie~

Rough_Rock
Wait. Did I miss something? Kenny, how will this Octavia be set? What will it look like? It's so unique I might choose the stone where I could best appreciate its shape?

Do you have a mock up of what it might look like in a ring?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blondie~|1376352618|3501734 said:
Wait. Did I miss something? Kenny, how will this Octavia be set? What will it look like? It's so unique I might choose the stone where I could best appreciate its shape?

Do you have a mock up of what it might look like in a ring?

I may just set it the same way we set my SO's Octavia.
Here are some old pics of his.

screen_shot_2013-08-13_at_2.png

screen_shot_2013-08-13_at_0.png

screen_shot_2013-08-13_at_1.png

screen_shot_2013-08-13_at_3.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh No!
A new Octavia was just born.
It's 1.2 F VS1 ct so it may be too small but it is a couple thou cheper than the 1.51 G VS2, and the clarity looks much more agreeable to me.
Hmmmmmm.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11178/

screen_shot_2013-08-13_at_4.png

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe Jonathon can tell you if he has any more soon to be born! :twirl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So you have 5.8, 6.0, and 6.67mm stones... well this new one is a contender. I like the cut more than the 1ct H VVS and the color/clarity combo is nicer than the H VVS too. can you send back the H VVS and see the 1.2ct?

The 1.2 is likely the same size as your SOs... so you can compare size easily and see if you like the 1.51 more in that way? Once set I think they will look very similar (the 1.2 and the 1.5).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1376431350|3502361 said:
Maybe Jonathon can tell you if he has any more soon to be born! :twirl:

I just hung up with him.
No new Octavias coming in soon. ;(

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1376431473|3502362 said:
So you have 5.8, 6.0, and 6.67mm stones... well this new one is a contender. I like the cut more than the 1ct H VVS and the color/clarity combo is nicer than the H VVS too. can you send back the H VVS and see the 1.2ct?

The 1.2 is likely the same size as your SOs... so you can compare size easily and see if you like the 1.51 more in that way? Once set I think they will look very similar (the 1.2 and the 1.5).

Yes, my plan is to return the 1.06 H VVS1 and look at the 1.2 F VS1.
FWIW, my SO's is 1.34 H VS2.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1376432063|3502366 said:
Dreamer_D|1376431473|3502362 said:

Yes, my plan is to return the 1.06 H VVS1 and look at the 1.2 F VS1.
FWIW, my SO's is 1.34 H VS2.

So if you get the 1.2ct then you will "win" on two out of three factors :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results