shape
carat
color
clarity

IDOL, Do you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Neil Diamond tonight
14.gif

Some suggested songs of the evening are

Sweet Caroline
I''m a Believer
Red Red Wine
Song Sung Blue
America
You Don''t Bring Me Flowers
Solitary Man
Thank the Lord for the Night Time
Kentucky Woman
Cherry Cherry
Brother Love

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2008 2:08:07 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone
I realize it is a complete popularity contest and absolutley not about talent.
Of course it is a popularity contest. So is the entire music industry. The contestants who attract the most LOYAL fans are the ones who succeed ... and its the same AFTER "Idol" because artists have to be able to survive the eventual bomb or two or three or entire album.

Jason Castro is the only "star" I see this season. He may not win but I''ll stand by that assessment & wait to see the long-term sales of (groan) Archie or (vomit) Cook.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2008 2:43:19 PM
Author: decodelighted

Of course it is a popularity contest. So is the entire music industry. The contestants who attract the most LOYAL fans are the ones who succeed ... and its the same AFTER ''Idol'' because artists have to be able to survive the eventual bomb or two or three or entire album.

Jason Castro is the only ''star'' I see this season. He may not win but I''ll stand by that assessment & wait to see the long-term sales of (groan) Archie or (vomit) Cook.
Nice to see you Deco. That''s the beauty of opinion, for me Castro will be remembered as the stoner dude with the dreds, not the guy with amazing vocal talent.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2008 3:34:13 PM
Of course it is a popularity contest. So is the entire music industry. ....
Jason Castro is the only ''star'' I see this season.
Nice to see you Deco. That''s the beauty of opinion, for me Castro will be remembered as the stoner dude with the dreds, not the guy with amazing vocal talent.
3.gif
Well he won''t be "the guy with amazing vocal talent" for me either ... more like "the guy who looks exactly like Welcome Back Kotter-era John Travolta but sounds like Jack Johnson and is destined to be on the cover of something like Teen Beat which will later be posted on the walls of 12 year olds" Also: charming.

Nice to see you too ... did you post pix of your new ''do?

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock

Of course it is a popularity contest. So is the entire music industry. The contestants who attract the most LOYAL fans are the ones who succeed ... and its the same AFTER 'Idol' because artists have to be able to survive the eventual bomb or two or three or entire album.

Jason Castro is the only 'star' I see this season. He may not win but I'll stand by that assessment & wait to see the long-term sales of (groan) Archie or (vomit) Cook.
So true... which is also why so many of Simon's professional judgments focus on the presence/lack of "star quality" or "it factor" as opposed to pure vocal ability. There are plenty of talented people out there... but having a great voice means nothing if you're not able to connect with your audience. Or CHOOSE an audience, for that matter... there are plenty of singers who fail simply because they can't quite pinpoint their musical identity, and nobody has the patience to wait around while they flounder.

The girls don't do much for me at all. David Cook rubs me the wrong way, but he seems to have both the creativity and smarts to make it in the industry. His cockiness might get in his way though... should be interesting to watch. Gotta agree with Deco that Jason Castro connected with me from the start. He may not be as savvy as a few of the others, but he's genuine and compelling and has the vocal talent to do exactly the kind of music he wants to do. If he stays focused, I don't think he'll have any trouble finding himself a comfortable (ie, successful) niche in the music world.

Just thought I'd chime in... I was away last week, so now I have a date with my DVR to do some catching up before tonight's show!
2.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2008 9:08:54 AM
Author: Ellen
Dreadlock boy got lucky again.
20.gif

UGH. You can say that again!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2008 8:35:18 PM
Author: Allison D.

Date: 4/24/2008 9:08:54 AM
Dreadlock boy got lucky again.
20.gif

UGH. You can say that again!
Ugh from me, too!

I like listening to David Cook. I''d like to see Jason and Brooke go home.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
One question: Was Paula drunk or high?

...?
33.gif
38.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Dang, I have to remind myself not to look at this thread because the east coasters see it before us westcoasters.

I am looking forward to seeing the drunk Paula though. She has days where I swear the woman slurs more than speaks. I don''t think it''s alcohol as much as she is supposed on a lot of "painkillers''" for dance injuries. But dang, when you can''t even enunciate on national television, it''s time to suck it up for at 60 mintues.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2008 9:23:53 PM
Author: nebe
One question: Was Paula drunk or high?

...?
33.gif
38.gif
OMG!! I just saw it... it''s a commercial right now, and thank gawd, because I am still speechless that Paula had obsolutely no clue what was happening. How did she not know that they didn''t sing twice yet?? ::::hitting my forehead::::::

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
******** Westcoasters do not read if you don't want my opinion on the eastcoast feed *************

Um. Eeeeeeep. Rough night for Jason.
23.gif
I'm starting to think he doesn't *want* this ... AT ALL. Because, geez, he could HAVE it if he just tried, like, a *little* bit. Ooof. I can't drag him there with my aching dialing fingers.

At least EVERYBODY else s***ed too! The only performance I liked was Brooke's 2nd song "I Am I Cried" (???) ... the rest
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif

I'm MEGA sick of these ancient tunes they've been batting down out of the cobwebs of the last century.
20.gif
(And did I mention I'M FREAKIN FORTY YEARS OLD ... can't imagine what the 12 & 20 & 32 year olds are thinking)
29.gif
Idol may be over for me early this year. Bring on SYTYCD!!!!!!!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Yessssss, I love SYTYCD!!! It''s my second favorite to Idol.

Jason''s time is up!! I usually am not really a David Cook fan, but I thought his second song was awesome tonight. I can''t believe that Paula not only screwed up the review after the first song, but that she called Syesha "Brooke" after her second song. Simon is so funny, because although he didn''t call her out on it, he did say that tonight was the wierdest show ...and I think he was referring to Paula.

I agree that the songs this year are way too old and boring. I''m still a David Archuleta Fan though...

::::ducking:::::::

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, thought Brooke''s second performance was good, and she is a talented coffee house performer, but I don''t like here all of the time. Archeliplicker did a good job with his first song, but I his version of "Comin'' to America" was just a bit too cornball (okay just a lot too cornball) for me. David Cook did a good job with both songs, his cockiness doesn''t bother me, and I think he''s got the smarts that he needs to be successful in the music industry. Sayesha sang both songs well but I want to cast her in Chicago, not as a pop performer. Jason Castro, dig his laid back vibe but he was pretty darn MEH last night. It seems that the fun of instant famedom is wearing off quickly and he wants to head back to Texas and his college buddies. I do like his voice, but I haven''t found a contestant that I really like as I have in past years.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Finally
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2008 9:10:24 AM
Author: KimberlyH
Hmmm, thought Brooke''s second performance was good, and she is a talented coffee house performer, but I don''t like here all of the time. Archeliplicker did a good job with his first song, but I his version of ''Comin'' to America'' was just a bit too cornball (okay just a lot too cornball) for me. David Cook did a good job with both songs, his cockiness doesn''t bother me, and I think he''s got the smarts that he needs to be successful in the music industry. Sayesha sang both songs well but I want to cast her in Chicago, not as a pop performer. Jason Castro, dig his laid back vibe but he was pretty darn MEH last night. It seems that the fun of instant famedom is wearing off quickly and he wants to head back to Texas and his college buddies. I do like his voice, but I haven''t found a contestant that I really like as I have in past years.
Me either, but I don''t even see him as that cocky really, certainly not over the top. Most great rock stars are. And he''s been given quite a bit of flack for his looks too (something one doesn''t have much control over). If looks count, somebody better tell Tom Petty, Neil Young, Mick Jagger, Joe Cocker, and the list goes on.

I really hope he wins. He''s hands down the best one imho.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2008 9:09:23 AM

Date: 4/30/2008 9:10:24 AM
Hmmm, thought Brooke''s second performance was good, and she is a talented coffee house performer, but I don''t like here all of the time. Archeliplicker did a good job with his first song, but I his version of ''Comin'' to America'' was just a bit too cornball (okay just a lot too cornball) for me. David Cook did a good job with both songs, his cockiness doesn''t bother me, and I think he''s got the smarts that he needs to be successful in the music industry. Sayesha sang both songs well but I want to cast her in Chicago, not as a pop performer. Jason Castro, dig his laid back vibe but he was pretty darn MEH last night. It seems that the fun of instant famedom is wearing off quickly and he wants to head back to Texas and his college buddies. I do like his voice, but I haven''t found a contestant that I really like as I have in past years.
Me either, but I don''t even see him as that cocky really, certainly not over the top. Most great rock stars are. And he''s been given quite a bit of flack for his looks too (something one doesn''t have much control over). If looks count, somebody better tell Tom Petty, Neil Young, Mick Jagger, Joe Cocker, and the list goes on.

I really hope he wins. He''s hands down the best one imho.
I agree with everything you said, Ellen (so you don''t have to thwap me in the head).

I fell asleep before the results show last night, but DH told me who went home. Did she ball?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2008 9:31:54 AM
I agree with everything you said, Ellen (so you don''t have to thwap me in the head).

I fell asleep before the results show last night, but DH told me who went home. Did she ball?
lol! No problem, my thwaps are mostly reserved for Sharon.
9.gif

Yes, she cried. In fact, she was crying before the results were announced, as I think she knew her time was up. And it was really hard for her to get through the song.

Which leads me to ask the question again, WHY must they sing after being told they lost?? Why can''t they do it like they have sporadically, where a couple sing before the results. It just makes better sense to me, but, maybe I''m just a softy. I dunno.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Aw, the Irish girl is gone (yep, I know I'm behind on the news but I've only just realised this)?

Ellen if you think the sing-out is hard on American Idol, you should see what they make them do on Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical theatre reality shows over here. They have to do a sing-OFF. Before the sing-off they announce who got the least votes and would have been going home. Imagine the horror of that? Going in to do battle for your place and you've just been told the other person beat you in the votes? Ugh! And then after the sing-off they make them do a ceremonial departure routine where they strip them of some item of clothing that represents the part they're going for (coat, necklace etc). All while belting out the part's signature song. Ouch. I'll see if I can dig up a video...

ETA - here is last week's sing-off... and here is the departure routine. It's harsh stuff!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Delster, the first one never would play, but if it was sad too, I don''t really want to see it anyway. lol
2.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Same video on YouTube Ellen (I had thought the BBC link would be more reliable) - Nancy Sing-Off Last Week - not so much sad as melodramatic I guess?

At least there were no tears last week! Last year the part up for grabs was Joseph and my goodness but those boys just never stopped blubbing!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The chick in red looked at the camera too much. lol I do love that song though.

Seriously, guys blubbering??
23.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
OK Ellen you made me do it! Here is a summary of the Joseph whole series - lots of blubbing! Gotta say I think the girls on the current Oliver/Nancy and the Sound of Music one from two years ago) are better performers than the boys were on the Joseph show. The girls on the Sound of Music show from two years ago seemed also stronger performers than the dudes. And tougher!
2.gif

I like this thread - I get the scoop on American Idol before it even airs over here! Wonder when is Pop Idol starting up over in the UK... hmmm...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2008 11:33:01 AM
Author: Delster
OK Ellen you made me do it! Here is a summary of the Joseph whole series - lots of blubbing! Gotta say I think the girls on the current Oliver/Nancy and the Sound of Music one from two years ago) are better performers than the boys were on the Joseph show. The girls on the Sound of Music show from two years ago seemed also stronger performers than the dudes. And tougher!
2.gif

I like this thread - I get the scoop on American Idol before it even airs over here! Wonder when is Pop Idol starting up over in the UK... hmmm...
lol.gif
I don''t know what was funnier, some of the judges remarks, or ALW''s face! Oh my, that was funny. Not the crying of course, that was just, sad. And I mean sad in a bad way. I''m all for seeing a guy cry once in awhile, makes them human, but, not over a singing competition.....

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Yeah ALW sure wears his heart on his, eh, face! Glad to have provided some entertainment
35.gif

Apologies for that last garbled post, gosh I didn't edit that very well did I?
20.gif

ETA - I was thinking about how these reality talent shows always turn into popularity contests. Now, if you click on these, do bear in mind that the Irish reality shows just don't have the talent pool that you have in the States (the good ones go to the UK and go on X Factor). So anyway this was our winner this year, while this girl got booted off. I can't work that one out myself. In addition to the teenie voting, we get 'county colours' voting going on. The contestants start campaigns in their home counties, playing into county sports team allegiances. Kind of like 'Vote Limerick, Vote Leanne!' or 'Vote Wicklow, Vote Robyn!'. Well Limerick is bigger than Wicklow, end of contest
20.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Mr. Castro so desperately wants to go home. He said he''s freaked out by all of the attention (I read it in some article) and it shows.

I am so bored by David Archaeyesclosedlickthelips (I wonder how they trained him to stop doing that!?) but he does have a nice voice.

Totally didn''t like Syeesha singing Sam Cooke.

David Cook did alright. Singing Teenage Wasteland was pretty risky, he did a decent job of it.

Was the sound a bit funky on your tv last night?

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I was bored to tears last night - so bored that I didn't notice if the sound on my TV was weird -
20.gif

I like Jason - however, it's his time - wow was he bad last night - and to be honest, I don't blame him for being a bit overwhelmed and tired of the whole "Idol Experience" - He doesn't seem to be the type to want all the hype surrounding him. He's a mellow artist...

I liked Syesha - she's starting to grow on me.

David A - boooooorrrring - SNOOOORRREEEE

David C - he's the hand down winner even if I still don't like his attitude - the whole current "rock voice" just isn't my thing. Does anyone think that these bands like Daughtry and those similar - their lead singers voices are all so similar that you can't tell who is who?!
23.gif

Or is that just me? I put David C. in that group of rockers - talented, but sounds just like the others in his genre....that's just me.

I think I'm rooting for Syesha - I like underdogs
1.gif

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 9:03:10 AM
Mr. Castro so desperately wants to go home. He said he''s freaked out by all of the attention (I read it in some article) and it shows.

I am so bored by David Archaeyesclosedlickthelips (I wonder how they trained him to stop doing that!?) but he does have a nice voice.

Totally didn''t like Syeesha singing Sam Cooke.

David Cook did alright. Singing Teenage Wasteland was pretty risky, he did a decent job of it.

Was the sound a bit funky on your tv last night?

i missed the show, but when i pulled up the clips on youtube, the sound was kind of off, like the instrumental was so faint you could barely hear it and the vocals were really loud.

david cook is the only one i even watch anymore; the rest bore me into a coma!

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Well - the finale of American Idol is going to be a dud - seriously - a SNORE FEST....I''m really sad that Syesha left last night - she was really starting to grow on me - and she definitely has the best personality of the final three (IMO)....Little David (archie) is cute and has a good voice, but man am I bored with him...and David Cook - I just find him so arrogant at times...

So, who do you all think will win it all next week? David C. or David A.???

I''m thinking Cook will win the show, but you never know...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no idea who will win, but I think David Cook should.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/15/2008 10:24:30 AM
I have no idea who will win, but I think David Cook should.

I agree Ellen - he''s just been more impressive throughout the entire season...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results