shape
carat
color
clarity

IDOL, Do you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2008 9:55:27 PM
Author: monarch64
David Cook. Just making the prediction right now.
9.gif
We''ve been saying that for a few weeks now (here at home). That guy is truly talented. When you can take Billy Jean and do that with it, you''re good.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto, or thritto or whatever. I really am trying hard to dislike David Cook because there''s just something [attitude maybe?] that I don''t like about him but I really have to admit that he''s good!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2008 8:45:28 AM
Author: Catmom
Ditto, or thritto or whatever. I really am trying hard to dislike David Cook because there''s just something [attitude maybe?] that I don''t like about him but I really have to admit that he''s good!
Simon made a comment about him, not sure if it was last week or the week before. And I can''t quote it, but it was something to the affect of him being too confident or cocky or something. But like I said last night, look at the major big time rockers, many of them are too. It''s not unusual. I think he just truly believes he''s good and has something to offer. And he does.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2008 7:21:39 AM
Author: Sabine
Wow, I really enjoyed almost all of the performances last night! I think it's time for Chickezie or Ramielle to go (even if she was sick, that was just bad). Although it wasn't her best performance, I think my new favorite is Brooke White. I just really love her voice and her style of music. I wasn't impressed with Jason this week, I think he does need to do something new or different. I really liked Michael's performance. When David Cook was up, I WANTED to dislike it, because I was thinking, who would change Billy Jean? Who would butcher Michael Jackson? But I couldn't help myself from being really impressed with it by the end, and I think he probably is the most talented when it comes to showcasing his voice.
OKAY. You kinda nailed what bothers me about David Cook, indirectly, right there. Here's the thing:

After his performance this week all the judges were like "oooh ahh that was so risky and so creative what you did there" blah dee bloo. How great that he'd change up Billie Jean! How fantastically forward-thinking! Well guess what Simon and Randy? Chris Cornell (of Soundgarden fame) created that arrangement and a live performance of said arrangement is on his last album (the rest of the album was fairly bad, but the Billie Jean cover is AWESOME). I'm sorry none of the judges listen to anything but mainstream pop and country, but they're wrong. David did a very good COVER of a cover of a great song. So no he isn't that brave, just smart.

Additionally, the other week he did a rock and roll cover of the Beatles' Eleanor Rigby and they said the same thing "ooooh ahh how risky and creative." Yeah dude. It was a pretty close cover of the industrial group "Godhead"'s cover of Eleanor Rigby. Sorry the judges don't listen to Goth/Industrial.

EGADS! Nothing gets me fired up more than the topic of music. Hee hee. I can't believe Randy said he'd "never heard" the song David Archuletta sang. What the crap kind of music expert is he? I've heard a wider breadth of music than he has, apparently. And all this without having worked with Mariah Carey.
20.gif

That being said, he has a fantastic voice and I'm always rooting for the rock n' rollers on the show.

...Official end o' rant. Thanks for reading this far, if you did.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
*note to self, do not watch Idol with Julianna*

*second note to self, start listening to bands/music you''ve never heard of*

creepaway3.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: David Cook "ripping" off Chris Cornell ... I *believe* Ryan''s intro of David Cook said that he was doing the "Chris Cornell version" of Billie Jean. At least that''s what web sites are reporting. He credited someone else for another arrangement he did (Beatles week 1 or 2). There was only one instance of STEALING this season, though I''m not sure if it even counts -- as the arrangement he took once was a little-known band that most of America wouldn''t have had any idea who they were talking about. If its a "notable" interpretation of a song -- credit def. .... if it''s a random, small-time, nobody band''s "version" -- IMO, no credit due.

As to Cook HIMSELF -- I loathe him. Simon''s right -- he''s S-M-U-G. I thought that from the first week when he was looking down his nose at the camera during his song and all awkward & uppity with Ryan in live interviews. HOWEVER: his performances have been memorable and his voice is great. I didn''t like Daughtrey either but he''s selling a ton of records. *shrug* I don''t think he''ll win AI though. America refuses to crown someone who is unlikeable.

I''m still thinking JASON CASTRO for the win -- but BROOKE WHITE is another strong contender in my mind. Both are strongly entrenched in their very narrow vibe/styles -- BUT, they are LIKEABLE.

ARCHELETTA''s song made me wanna VOMIT. I turned to DH & said "I kinda want to hurl". BLECH. He is PREACHY and BLAND and FAKE and WEIRD. Sorry!

Going home? CHIKESE -- Luther? Really? REALLY? You thought *that* was a good idea? And brought back the Zoot Suit? Oh lawdy! Thxbai!

KRISTY and her gaudy nails are safe AGAIN -- because she was smart enough to figure out what song her PEEPS would not be able to resist. No matter how screechy she sounded on it. Was anyone else unnerved by how much she looked like her baby pictures NOW. Weird!

AUSSIE -- this guy is bugging me. He might as well have picked a song called "My Big Moment" (which, BTW, will probably be the name of the winning Idol song writing competition
20.gif
). Oooof. No likie.

SYESHA. No. Pretty girl go be on magazine covers. Leave singing alone.

IRISH GIRL. Eh, okayish. Is she preggers?

RAMILE. Not as good as Carrie Underwood''s version. Shouty. In the "death" position (1st in show). But - man CHIKESE was bad. That''s her only hope to stay. Bottom two IMHO. Along with, hmmmm, AUSSIE maybe??

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deco, I have totally been wondering if Carly Smithson is pregnant. I understand that floaty tops are in right now, but she has worn one every week now! I''m started to get suspicious.
2.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Carly wore a pretty tight dress last night... I''m not saying it was flattering
38.gif
, but it was def not loose.

And how do y''all feel about the rumors they kept her husband off camera bc of his body tats?
23.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
My sister thinks David Cook looks like a child molestor (whatever that may look like).
She says he has this sneaky, hedonistic, sneer that totally turns her off.

My first thought weeks ago was that he looks like Jack Black and I guess I don''t look past that...

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Oh, did anyone else think David Cook''s baby pic looked like an alien???

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CrookedRock, you''re right, Carly wasn''t wearing a loose top last night. I was upstairs and listening to her performance instead of watching, oops. She was in all black, though, right?

Sabine, I did think David Cook''s baby picture looked a bit alien-esque...at least he made fun of his own huge skull. No wonder he has bangs now, hee hee.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2008 1:39:08 PM
Author: Ellen

creepaway3.gif
Haha! No one watching with me had ever heard of that song either!

My two favorite performances last night were Michael Johns and David Cook. I figure if David Cook wins, he''ll get a complete make-over. Look at how beautiful and classy Carrie Underwood looks now compared to how she looked on the show (not that she wasn''t pretty, she was, but she looks terrific now!).

I don''t think any of the girls are outstanding enough to win.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Well, Carly put the rumors to rest... She isn''t preggers!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2008 4:31:48 PM
Author: CrookedRock
Carly wore a pretty tight dress last night... I'm not saying it was flattering
38.gif

And how do y'all feel about the rumors they kept her husband off camera bc of his body tats?
23.gif
And now we know she was all full up of SPANX under that tight dress.
3.gif
(At least that's what she told Ryan)

Re: the tattooed hubby: he has FACIAL tattoos, and they're all over his face -- I think that's the issue. Might be much for middle America. But I have seen him in the audience ... so they're not hiding him altogether. Just maybe not labeling him "Carly's Husband" or whatever.

ETA: Forgot to comment on my boy in the bottom three. Here's my theory -- his main fan base was off watching the Jonas Brothers on Dancing With The Stars and didn't vote this week. Hopefully he'll get a wake up call & start trying harder.
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deco, I still think your boy will be in the top 5...he has that "x" factor Simon always likes to talk about, and I honestly think that will keep him in the game, along with those beautiful eyes.

I wasn''t too disappointed with the results tonight...it was definitely a critical week as far as song choice (not that every other week isn''t). Would say more, but don''t want to be a spoiler.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2008 10:19:56 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 3/26/2008 4:31:48 PM
Author: CrookedRock
Carly wore a pretty tight dress last night... I''m not saying it was flattering
38.gif

And how do y''all feel about the rumors they kept her husband off camera bc of his body tats?
23.gif
And now we know she was all full up of SPANX under that tight dress.
3.gif
(At least that''s what she told Ryan)

Re: the tattooed hubby: he has FACIAL tattoos, and they''re all over his face -- I think that''s the issue. Might be much for middle America. But I have seen him in the audience ... so they''re not hiding him altogether. Just maybe not labeling him ''Carly''s Husband'' or whatever.

ETA: Forgot to comment on my boy in the bottom three. Here''s my theory -- his main fan base was off watching the Jonas Brothers on Dancing With The Stars and didn''t vote this week. Hopefully he''ll get a wake up call & start trying harder.
2.gif
Actually I thik what she was saying is that she normally likes to wear spanx but when she is singing she can''t. BC it sure didn''t appear to me that she was wearing them under that dress!!
38.gif

And I knew he had tats on his face, I have seen them show him a few times now, just wondering if that would turn any of you off to voting for her, her singing aside. (She is actually starting to grow on me)

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock

creepaway3.gif
AUGH! Come back Ellen! Hee hee! I promise to keep the soapbox in the closet!!
9.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2008 2:34:13 PM
Author: decodelighted
Re: David Cook 'ripping' off Chris Cornell ... I *believe* Ryan's intro of David Cook said that he was doing the 'Chris Cornell version' of Billie Jean. At least that's what web sites are reporting. He credited someone else for another arrangement he did (Beatles week 1 or 2). There was only one instance of STEALING this season, though I'm not sure if it even counts -- as the arrangement he took once was a little-known band that most of America wouldn't have had any idea who they were talking about. If its a 'notable' interpretation of a song -- credit def. .... if it's a random, small-time, nobody band's 'version' -- IMO, no credit due.

As to Cook HIMSELF -- I loathe him. Simon's right -- he's S-M-U-G. I thought that from the first week when he was looking down his nose at the camera during his song and all awkward & uppity with Ryan in live interviews. HOWEVER: his performances have been memorable and his voice is great. I didn't like Daughtrey either but he's selling a ton of records. *shrug* I don't think he'll win AI though. America refuses to crown someone who is unlikeable.
You know, I didn't hear Ryan say that in his intro (obviously, that'd have killed half my rant!) but I did of course hear him talk about Chris Cornell in the elimination round, so I feel much better. Har.
37.gif
I didn't say he STOLE it (you can't steal something that millions of people already know belongs to someone else), just that he was standing up there all "I invented rock music", like he bloody does every week. When David Archawhatev was discussing his song, he was all "oh yeah such and such dude wrote this and he is my hero" or what have you (yes I know he was asked who wrote the song, but still). You aren't kidding about the smug. That being said, perhaps I should LISTEN WITH MY EARS for these intros so that I don't look like a schmoo on PS, eh? Eh? Instead of messing around on my computer the whole show and listening out of one ear. EH?

I wouldn't mind if he won, but I like Carly.
1.gif
I wouldn't buy any of their albums (never have bought an AI album); for me it's more of a "I would love for this person's dreams to come true" thing.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
* threadjack* THERE you are Miss Julianna, I missed you!!
16.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2008 7:22:31 AM
Author: Lorelei
* threadjack* THERE you are Miss Julianna, I missed you!!
16.gif
Hey Lor. *hug* Quite busy lately, no time to commiserate re: Treddys, though I think of you all the time when I am running. Glad you found me over here whinging about American Idol!
41.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2008 6:37:08 AM
Author: Julianna

creepaway3.gif
AUGH! Come back Ellen! Hee hee! I promise to keep the soapbox in the closet!!
9.gif
9.gif
2.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
[/quote]I figure if David Cook wins, he'll get a complete make-over. Look at how beautiful and classy Carrie Underwood looks now compared to how she looked on the show (not that she wasn't pretty, she was, but she looks terrific now!).

I don't think any of the girls are outstanding enough to win.[/quote]

HAHA, there is only so much a makeover can do for you....look at Clay Aiken! At least Carrie Underwood was beautiful to begin with. Okay, that was totally mean
11.gif
but I don't think there's much more they can do for him. I really do think his attitude is gonna hurt his chances.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I have to say, although I get that the contestants can''t just pick whatever song they want, I wish they picked themes that had a little more...diversity? Although I have great respect for Dolly Parton and think she worked wonderfully with the contestants, it just wasn''t that much fun to watch them all sing her songs.

My commentary...I liked Michael Johns, I thought Syesha did better than the judges gave her credit for, and pretty much everyone else was just okay, meh. My vote to go home is Rameille.

Although...ducking for cover...I have to say that I think Jason Castro is getting boring, and if he doesn''t do something different soon, I think it might be time for him to go...runs and hides.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Carly and David were my faves last night. Brooke, Micheal and Jason were good. David Archuliplicker is getting on my nerves. Sayesha and the rest, Meh.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
This is honestly what I cannot decide.
I realize the judges comments have a HUGE impact on the voting outcome...

I loved Jason Castro''s style of music/singing/song choices in the beginning.
Would I still be content to keep listening week after week because it''s so chill and mellow and staying true to himself?
Or is the fact that Simon says he''s starting to get boring and predictable making me think, Yeah, you''re boring and predictable - do something different?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 9:48:03 AM
Author: Starset Princess
This is honestly what I cannot decide.
I realize the judges comments have a HUGE impact on the voting outcome...

I loved Jason Castro's style of music/singing/song choices in the beginning.
Would I still be content to keep listening week after week because it's so chill and mellow and staying true to himself?
Or is the fact that Simon says he's starting to get boring and predictable making me think, Yeah, you're boring and predictable - do something different?
Seems to me that most successful artists are 'predictable.' I tend to think of that in a positive connotation, though--not boring, but consistent... you know what you're getting when you buy their CD, and if you liked the last one, you'll probably like the new one, too.

Sure they 'reinvent' themselves, but come on, every time Madonna 'reinvented' herself, she was still Madonna. Just with some new instruments and beats.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder how he was able to sing last night with this going on.......

American Idol contestant rushed to the hospital

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.I" contestant David Cook was rushed to the hospital tonight after experiencing heart palpitations and high blood pressure, and released a few hours later. His condition is still not resolved.

As we first reported, Cook was not feeling well during the day and his condition worsened after his performance. Cook was examined by show medics who determined his blood pressure was "far too high." Cook was urged to leave for the hospital during the show, but he wanted to wait it out.

After the show, Cook was driven to the hospital (not by ambulance) and treated by a private doctor to keep everything on the down low. The doctor gave Cook medication to bring his blood pressure down and he will monitored again Tuesday.

An "A.I." exec tells us Cook has been completely stressed out because his brother, who has been sick with cancer, had a setback within the last week. Earlier in the season, just before a performance, David collapsed and said he could not go on -- though he pulled it together at the last minute.

Filed under: American Idol

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I missed the vote off show and the web-site only says that Ramiele was voted off... can anyoen tell me who else was in the bottom three?

DD

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Brooke White and Kristy Lee Cook

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
I really feel like last night was ''fair''. Those 3 were by far the least-deserving contestance...and I completely agree with America''s pick to vote-off Rameile.

All i have to say is
17.gif
Thank Goodness
17.gif
my Jason Castro is stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil here. Those sparkly blue eyes, TOIGHT jeans and dorky demeanor get me everytime. I agree with the ''consistancy'' thing. Just like his contemporaries (Jack Johnson, Damien Rice, etc....) we listeners choose their albums for ''that kinda mood''. Like, sipping a drink on the dock in the late-afternoon; just enjoying those last few hours of sun for the day. Sigh.

If anything, I could picutre Jason doing a few pop-inspired songs, catchy, light numbers...but I wouldn''t want him to depart from his signature style. That''s what I like about him!!!!!!!!

30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results