shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I have made a decision...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
This ring will be stunning no matter what size you decide on for the sapphire. BUT remember...the dreaded DSS!!!!!
23.gif

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Hi DD - I think that the ring you are designing will be gorgeous! Just wanted to throw a thought in on the sizing, since I just had my 3-stone made by Leon last month. Admittedly I had no choice since I was working with 2 existing stones (my original .93 RB and my 2 ct 10 yr. anniversary diamond, we just added a 3rd stone to match) -- but I would say don''t be too quick to reject the larger center/sides
2.gif
not just due to DSS but also because LM likes to make his settings low (from what he told me this is more the old European way of setting stones). I asked for him to make mine as low as possible, and I love it! I feel it gives me great coverage but since it''s a low profile it''s not ''in your face'' if that makes sense, and I feel it looks very engagementy vs. cocktail. Of course, he will totally work with you as to your preference for setting and you may not like a low setting -- but if you do, I think it would look great with the larger size you were looking at. Wishing you much fun in getting your sapphire and designing your ring -- I thought LM was great to work with.
1.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
luvmyhalo I know, I know, shrinkage is a major issue... I wish I could actually see a ring on my finger with the size stones I am thinking about, maybe I will just need to go try some one somewhere.

babysteps: I love your Leon. I am wondering how you clean it? My plan as of right now if to get the simple classic setting with no diamonds, but that is only b/c I want to be able to put it in my Ultrasonic (gotta have clean rocks!), and I know that is not recommended with pave. What do you do? Also, if you dont' mind my asking, is your design the "classic" with pave? The basket looks like some of the other round Leon's I have seen on PS (well one other one), but I wasn't sure. It looks a lot different than some of the Leon three-stones with other types of stones, so I wondered if you just said, "The classic with three-sided pave... GO!" or whether you had more input than that. Oh, btw, I love a low setting. Can you tell me what is the stance on your center stone? Around 6mm?? Your ring CERTAINLY looks like an engagement ring, I guess I just wondered if the colored center would look a lot different in that size. Maybe I am silly
9.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
For reference, here is babysteps profile... (hope you don''t mind babysteps, I love your ring!!!)

dreamerstealsbabysetpspicture.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is Kristydarlings baskit, round center with pears (again, hope she doesn't mind, I love this ring too, bling bling!)... see how it is a little different than yours babysteps? The split prongs I guess changes things a little...

leon baskit2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And finally here is widget''s lovely (sorry to steal it Widget! My fave!). These are all asschers. This ring has a very delicate basket, the most delicate off all these three examples, and I think if I don''t get pave I am leaning in this direction in terms of the weight of the ring... but I wondered whether people with Leon''s gave him delatils such as that when they commissioned their rings?

leon baskit.jpg

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer D - thanks so much for the sweet words about my ring - I am still deeply infatuated with it!
1.gif
''how to clean?'' was one of the first things I asked when I decided to do the pave on all 3 sides - definitely no ultrasonic he said. (although I think the pave is def. sturdier than the micropave) so far so good using just a warm water bath w/ a drop or two of dish soap and an old soft baby toothbrush; if it really needs it I do the soak/toothbrush with Windex. I have been much more careful about not doing lotion, sunblock, etc. since this ring came home with me, I can''t bear to think of it gunking up my Leon!
32.gif
not sure about center in mm, I am overseas right now so can''t look at the specs, but a chart I saw said 2 ct = 8 mm for a round (I am a size 6 1/4 on the left hand, if that helps)

Back to the design, I really just said ''single prongs, 3 sided pave, as low as you can make it'' - he deterred me from my initial thought of doing anything on the basket as he pointed out it would just be too crowded. Other than that, it was up to him. But, his design sheet has a LOT of options and sub-options -- I adore Kristydarling''s ring, I think that her center was quite a bit larger than mine and so there is more of an angle on her sides (?), and Widget''s (to die for) ring has a shoulder so I am guessing sits a bit higher. I wonder with the security of the double claw prongs the basket can be slimmer than mine? Or if that was something that was specified up front? Either way, they are both gorgeous options -- I think some of the fine-tuning will ultimately be easier once you have your center, but I think the more input you can give when you specify your ring, the better -- and it is so great that it will be customized just for you. Can''t wait to see your sapphire and the finished ring!
36.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
swimmer -- you know I love the blue! I almost went over to the 'light' side, but when I did the math and thought '.90 ct diamond OR 2ct GORGEOUS SAPPHIRE with diamonds' it just didn't add up! Now that I've seen a few 'real life' pics of Jeff White's cutting, I am totally convinced that a sapphire is the way to go. I love the uniqueness of it. BTW I love the w-and you chose, it looks HOT with your ring!

DD

[/quote]

Thanks DD, you have totally inspired me to look around for a better cut and "bluer" sapphire. I was driving just now and looking at the blue thinking, in the sun its just the color Daschie and I want! Sadly mine is not so blue in office lighting. Glad you like the band, yours is jut too clever!
Keep up the great research
34.gif

Oh the rings you have posted are just amazing, ladies, your settings are outstanding!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I got a quote from Leon this afternoon and the setting is within budget! Woo hoo! His simple settings without pave are actually the same price as similar ones by vatche and WF. So exciting!
36.gif

babysteps ok, no pave for me!! Although I loove how it looks, I want this to be my everyday ring and I am just too obsessed with clean and too lazy at the same time to deal with pave. When I get a nice halo diamond RHR then I will get pave. And thanks for telling me about your design experience. When the day gets a little closer (i.e., when I have all the stones) then I will probably send him the pics from Widget''s ring and say, "just like that please but with the sidestones set a little lower!

swimmer please don''t be inspired by my madness and perfectionism! Your ring is great! But.... I know how the siren song of the blue can call you over to the danger of neeeeeeewwwww stooooooooonnnnees! Good think is your setting is already made for a nice honkin'' big stone so you can just plop a new one in there is you want! PS: I had my current ring re-made to get rid of that wird cut out, so now I just have a little gap like you in my set. There''s pics somewhere if you look through my topics.

DD

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2008 7:27:42 AM
Author: babysteps
Hi DD - I think that the ring you are designing will be gorgeous! Just wanted to throw a thought in on the sizing, since I just had my 3-stone made by Leon last month. Admittedly I had no choice since I was working with 2 existing stones (my original .93 RB and my 2 ct 10 yr. anniversary diamond, we just added a 3rd stone to match) -- but I would say don''t be too quick to reject the larger center/sides
2.gif
not just due to DSS but also because LM likes to make his settings low (from what he told me this is more the old European way of setting stones). I asked for him to make mine as low as possible, and I love it! I feel it gives me great coverage but since it''s a low profile it''s not ''in your face'' if that makes sense, and I feel it looks very engagementy vs. cocktail. Of course, he will totally work with you as to your preference for setting and you may not like a low setting -- but if you do, I think it would look great with the larger size you were looking at. Wishing you much fun in getting your sapphire and designing your ring -- I thought LM was great to work with.
1.gif
This is exactly how I feel. I was a little uncomfortable going from 1.0 to 1.6, but the low Leon setting just totally solved that for me. I LOVE your setting babysteps and also want something really similar with a center sapphire!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DD, I almost said in the earlier post that we could just get one ring and share it! But I think we will love it so much that we will each want one! My current Leon is too new for me to lend out just yet!
2.gif
But your doggies are precious!

I am glad the three stone classic setting is not too high in price. I think Widget''s looks more delicate because it is just the classic three stone setting. That makes the shank a little thinner than one with pave. And the pear side stone effect that band. I really didn''t give him any directions for my solitaire except make it like # xxx, classic solitaire, set low, about a 2mm band. I figure he knows more than I do about how to make it beautiful!

I haven''t posted in my thread yet (to give Jeff a chance to get my email), but I will tell you that I am returning the sapphire in case you are interested. It is a slightly round cushion, if that makes sense. I would have still put round sidestones with it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2008 8:49:24 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
DD, I almost said in the earlier post that we could just get one ring and share it! But I think we will love it so much that we will each want one! My current Leon is too new for me to lend out just yet!
2.gif
But your doggies are precious!

I am glad the three stone classic setting is not too high in price. I think Widget''s looks more delicate because it is just the classic three stone setting. That makes the shank a little thinner than one with pave. And the pear side stone effect that band. I really didn''t give him any directions for my solitaire except make it like # xxx, classic solitaire, set low, about a 2mm band. I figure he knows more than I do about how to make it beautiful!

I haven''t posted in my thread yet (to give Jeff a chance to get my email), but I will tell you that I am returning the sapphire in case you are interested. It is a slightly round cushion, if that makes sense. I would have still put round sidestones with it.
DS: everything you say makes perfect sense. And I agree that Leon knows best how to make it beeootiful, I will just let him do his thing. Thanks for telling me about the sapphire (sucks you aren''t keeping it!), but I think I need something a little different: I really want the primary outline to be round, though he has an interesting cut that is round but angular and I really like that (like this: http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/SPL003.htm). Also, I need to visit my jeweler and see what size ideal cut, F/G color RBs I can get for my trade-in of my current sidestones. The size I go with the center will depend a little on what I can get for the sides, so I wanna do a little more homework. Also, and this might be silly, but I love the idea of choosing the rough, talking about exactly what type of cut I want, anticipating the reveal. I love the whole creative process so I am looking forward to that too! But I do love that sapphire, it really wowed me, so I''m sorry you aren''t keeping it! I just hope I can get something as nice, but I figure if I am patient it will happen!

With such a sizable, do you have trouble with your ring spinning, or is the setting really secire on your finger?
DD

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
dd...I am still chuckling over here about your wedding dress hanging in the background...too funny! Looks lovely, though!

I think your plans for your ring will be stunning...I would love to have a Jeff White AND a Leon together in one ring! I can''t wait to see the finished masterpiece!

And I also say go for the bigger sapphire, but that''s just me!
9.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harleigh, just for you here is a picture of my dress on "the big day"... I loved it so much! BTW, my face isn't always that round, I must have been retaining a little water from the stress
2.gif

Thanks for the vote of confidence! And the urging to go bigger... I'm still mulling, but I am getting closer.

DD

dreamerdress.jpg

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Oh, dd, thanks for the pretty picture! What I can see of you looks lovely, and your dress is gorgeous!

Where were you married at?

Go bigger, go bigger, go bigger!
9.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I went and visited my jeweler this morning to see what kind of RBs I could get as a trade-in for my current EC side-stones. I was not impressed. From my looking on the internet, we got a decent deal on my ECs (he told us they were an exceptional price as far as his business goes, and now I believe him), and they are beautiful stones. But if I traded them in, even though he gives a 100% trade-in policy, I would only get .40ct RBs for the money, and for RBs the price was too much-- double what I would pay for better cut stones through WF. (In other words, I got a good deal for my money on my ECs, but trading them in for RBs would not be a good deal).

So now I have a dilemma!! I don''t want to use my jeweler anymore for diamonds, I know too much and I am too cheap (thrifty? value-conscious?) to spend more than I know I need to. I think that I am going to have to "cut my losses" with him and keep my current ring the way it is! That''s okay with me, I really think it is beautiful and the ECs are lovely, and it includes my beloved little original sapphire, that my hubby proposed with, so these are all good things. And now that I have lost a few pounds I can wear it on my right hand, so I can just switch it over there when I get my "dream ring".

The good news. I tried on all sorts of rings and saw all different shapes and sizes and learned some good things about my personal taste: I am not wild about RBs in the sizes I can afford!! I love RBs when they are over 1.5ct, but I can''t afford that, and in the 1ct range, they didn''t do it for me. I know they fire and sparkle, but they just aren''t "original" enough for me. They are lovely and classy, but I guess I am just not a lovely and classy gal!
31.gif
I DID try on a bunch of gems (poor sad little gems that they were) and I found my true love in terms of size and shape: 7.5mm square cushion!! I knew it all along! Loved it. Would love it in a diamond, could get it for $10 000. Yeah right! Not anytime soon. I need a second job! Anyone need some research done? Some data analysis? I charge very reasonable rates!
2.gif

So where does that leave me? As suggested by youse guys in another thread maybe http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=268 with a sapphire center??

Sigghhhhh... I am getting further and closer at the same time.

DD

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2008 2:37:55 PM
Author: Harleigh
Oh, dd, thanks for the pretty picture! What I can see of you looks lovely, and your dress is gorgeous!

Where were you married at?

Go bigger, go bigger, go bigger!
9.gif

We got married in our little home town... That wall is the side of an old beer factory in our town, its on the main drag so care were driving by the whole time it was fun! It looks exotic doesn''t it? Most people think it is Greece. Nope! Just an awesome photographer!

DD

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi DD, you absolutely deserve a gorgeous ring and this will be a fun project. For a cushion sapphire with rounded corners, have you considered setting them with half moons on the side. I think it will be very pretty too..

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Splendid, yes I have considered that! When I did a poll, that was everyone''s preference, and I was like "Meh!" but then I saw this Leon ring and was like, "Oooooohhh!" So that may be the direction I go!

killerleonicovet.jpg

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
ooooohh.. That is mouthwatering-ly gorgeous! I think it will look even more stunning with a blue sapphire in the centre. Oh, by the way, you are not weird to put paper cuttings on your finger! I do that too! LOL..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is terrific that you were able to try on stones to decide the perfect size! I am glad you decided to just keep the other ring. Once you know the pricing at vendors like these, it is very hard to accept regular jeweler prices.

I love that Leon ring, too...of course! I am just wondering if I''ll ever get a sapphire!

Oh, I have to tell you something really funny. I emailed Leon a question and told him I was thinking about having him do a sapphire ring for me. He emailed me back and said he has a beautiful SIX carat sapphire in case I am interested!
6.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2008 9:31:15 PM

Oh, I have to tell you something really funny. I emailed Leon a question and told him I was thinking about having him do a sapphire ring for me. He emailed me back and said he has a beautiful SIX carat sapphire in case I am interested!
6.gif

WOOOHOOOOOO YOU"RE IN TROUBLE NOW!!!!!
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2008 9:33:36 PM
Author: LostSapphire

6.gif

WOOOHOOOOOO YOU'RE IN TROUBLE NOW!!!!!
9.gif
Lol!
9.gif
I'd be in pretty big trouble with my hubby for sure! Although I did prepare him that the next sapphire would cost more than the one I was just looking at! (but not by THAT much!)

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2008 9:39:11 PM
Date: 3/18/2008 9:33:36 PM

Author: LostSapphire

6.gif

WOOOHOOOOOO YOU'RE IN TROUBLE NOW!!!!!
9.gif

Lol!
9.gif
I'd be in pretty big trouble with my hubby for sure! Although I did prepare him that the next sapphire would cost more than the one I was just looking at! (but not by THAT much!)

Don't feel too bad: mine doesn't even know yet that I've asked Jeff to cut me a new sapphire!!
11.gif
11.gif

When it arrives, I'll just smile sweetly
12.gif
and say "yes, honey, I'm pretty sure it's the same size as the one I lost!!"
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lostsapphire you are my kinda woman!
9.gif

diamondseeker I thought six carat was too big so I did a little craft project just for you and it sure looks purdy!
31.gif
Not too shabby eh?

diamondseekersdream.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Has anyone (diamondseeker?) ever gotten a quote for that Leon ring I posted above? I just got a quote from him yesterday for the classic three-stone so I dont' want to contact him again until I am ready to proceed... I figure that the five stone is a little more labor plus the costs of stones, but that can't be sooo much, right? It isn't pave after all...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
BTW here is the size stone I am looking for. I just contacted Jeff and told him I wanted either a ceylon sapphire (like everyone and their dog apparently!) or a fire-engine red spinel, or any other to-die-for stone that he comes accross! haha I just want to fall in love with MY stone, KWIM?

dreamersperfectsize.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOoohhh I kinda like that elongated cushion shape with RBs. Okay, I might still get the three stone! I will wait and see what my stone looks like and then make the final decision!

DD

dreamerthreestone50.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results