shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I have made a decision...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok some of you may have noticed that I have been posting various random questions over the months about different ideas I have been kicking around for my e-ring re-do. I want to create my dream ring, trouble is I have been really unsure about what that dream was!! Well I think I have reached a decision and I wanted to get your opinions!

I have been wanting something very sparkly, unique, and BIG... and I have wanted it all to fit in my modest-by-PS-standards budget! Well yesterday I Fell In Love
30.gif
with a Jeff White sapphire that diamondseeker is considering puchasing (she has a thread over in colored stones), and my dream ring suddently became clear in my mind... A three stone ring with a center 2ct round sapphire cut by Jeff and with facets like the one posted by diamondseeker, plus .50ct diamond sides, plus a Leon Mege setting (love those double claw prongs)! Swoooon... I wasn''t sure whether such a large center stone would look good so I did a little craft project and created a mock-up of the proportions (pictures below).

So what do you all think?

DD

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the sapphire that set my heart going pitter pat... diamondseeker is considering buying it. In my dream ring, picture this with rounded "corners" and around 8mm.

jeffwhitesapphire1dream.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Show Me The Ring" Indeed! How does this beauty look?
31.gif
These are little paper cut-outs that are the exact shape of an 8mm center stone and .50ct sides stones that are taped to my wedding band so I can wear them! I know I am crazy...

ETA: I guess my wedding dress hanging on the wall in the background ONE YEAR after the wedding doesn't help me look any more sane... I just don't know what to do with it!

deram stone proportions3.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a closer look... I think I love these proportions, what do you think?

deram stone proportions1.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring would look a little like this, but with different stone proportions... this is blueeyes' beautiful ring with a Richard Homer sapphire (hope she doesn't mind me posting this, it is a real inspiration!)... fafa has a ring like this too and it is a beauty.

blueeyessapphirediamondring.jpg

sera

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah! That''s a dream ring for sure! I love the proportions... and a Jeff White sapphire in a Leon Mege setting?! It will be amazing!!!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you''ll get the best of both worlds(of sparkle)!
You can''t go wrong with a Leon.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks coati and sera! I can''t believe how excited I am over the whole idea! You know what is funny/sad? A part of me is like, "How can I have a Leon?? And a ring like that?? Isn''t that toooooooo special??" Sighhhh... funny how it can be hard to actually contemplate doing something really special for yourself.

DD

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
I know what you mean about doing something for yourself. Sometimes it makes you feel guilty, right? But heck, a girl deserves to treat herself every once in a while! I had to laugh at your paper cut out ring (totally something I would do)! I love your proportions and it will be stunning. Can''t wait to see it!!!!!

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
Of course you can have a Leon, especially with a gorgeous sapphire! It''s your dream ring, and if it''s within budget, then you should go for it!

And please don''t feel too weird. I''m constantly photoshopping diamonds on a photo of my hand (with eternity band) in order to ''test'' various dimensions (7.4mm looks good to me!). I''ve cut out pieces of paper and taped it to my band, also. My husband thinks I have a major problem, and I guess I do. But anyway, it''s either this or going to Tiffany''s every other day to try on rings and take notes on how I feel about different carat weights.

I think your dream ring has lovely proportions and great coverage.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2008 5:07:07 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Here is a closer look... I think I love these proportions, what do you think?

Here you go: 8mm centre (2ct) and 5mm sides each.

And NO it's not weird to cut out papers and tape them on: that's what I did before this ring was made up....if it makes you feel any better, as I type, I have 2 of the 8mm paper dots stuck to my earlobes!!
2.gif

LostSapphire12b.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, you know you are a PSer when you tape little pieces of paper to your hand/ears! You truly are my people!
9.gif
And thanks for your words about going for what I really really want. We have decided that this is a special treat for me that we are willing to devote money to at this time. When we got engaged we were not in a good financial position and we honestly spent a very small amount on my ring... not that there is anything wrong with a modest e-ring, but now that we are in a better financial position this is something that I would really like to do. I have been in school for the last 11 years post-secondary
23.gif
non-stop, and for the last year since I graduated we have really put a lot of our longer term goals on hold so that we can wait for the right job to open up for me, so I feel like we are delaying gratification in so many areas of our lives (buying a house, starting a family etc.) that I really feel like I need a "treat"! I guess there doesn''t always need to be a reason for doing something nice for yourself, but in this case I kinda feel like there is one! haha... that is my story and I am sticking to it!
31.gif

LostSapphire, thanks so much for posting your ring! Guess what? I have it saved already in my files! haha... yours was one of the rings that caught my eye for the proportions of the stones! However, now I am having second thoughts about those proportions for my ring. Because my center stone is going to be a sapphire, I am hesitant about going so large because I worry about it looking too dramatic and not enough like an engagement ring. So I have been toying with a different proportion: 7.4mm center (equivalent to 1.5ct) with .50ct sides. Here''s a pciture of that new proportion on the right and the larger center on the left. I think I may be leaning towards the smaller center stone because it looks more engagementy...my DH agrees (he humors my obsession). Any thoughts?

DD

size comparison dreamer.jpg

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Hehehe! You just made me think

You know your a PSer when........ you totally don''t think it''s wierd to see paper cutout diamonds stuck to a finger
9.gif

It looks just right by the way, it should be gorgeous!!!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
d_d, I don''t think it''s weird at all. You''re so sweet and funny! This is what we do!!!

I agree, your planned ring will be a "just right" size! The color of that sapph is so dreamy!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The paper isn''t weird at all. Although I definitely need to borrow your drawing skills, except for asschers I always mess up on the faceting pattern.

I think that''s a great size, the blue should really pop with those proportions!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the votes of confidence gemgirl, addy, and honey! The papers really help but I do think that the 2-D papers look "smaller" than the 3-D rocks will looks. Just comparing my cutout photos to LostSappire''s "real life" photo, I get the impression that when the stones actually protrude off the finger you get even more visual finger coverage than you do with the cut outs.... and THAT''s what makes me wonder if the 7.4mm center stone might be more "manageable" given my lifestyle.

Addy, I didn''t draw these cutouts myself! Somewhere on PS I ofund a great "Actual diamond size" chart that was originially from Amazon.com (I bet if you search goodle you can find it too". It has scale drawings of 11 difference shaped stones at .25ct, .50ct, 1.0ct, 1.25ct, 1.5ct, 2.5ct, 3.0ct, 4.0ct and 5.0ct. So useful for this type of thing!

DD

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2008 1:49:07 PM
Thanks for the votes of confidence gemgirl, addy, and honey! The papers really help but I do think that the 2-D papers look ''smaller'' than the 3-D rocks will looks. Just comparing my cutout photos to LostSappire''s ''real life'' photo, I get the impression that when the stones actually protrude off the finger you get even more visual finger coverage than you do with the cut outs.... and THAT''s what makes me wonder if the 7.4mm center stone might be more ''manageable'' given my lifestyle.

Addy, I didn''t draw these cutouts myself! Somewhere on PS I ofund a great ''Actual diamond size'' chart that was originially from Amazon.com (I bet if you search goodle you can find it too''. It has scale drawings of 11 difference shaped stones at .25ct, .50ct, 1.0ct, 1.25ct, 1.5ct, 2.5ct, 3.0ct, 4.0ct and 5.0ct. So useful for this type of thing!

DD

They do look totally different! DH made me one "true to size" when my original ering had to be sent back to ERD a few months ago and before I got my sapphire ring. It looked so much smaller!!!

I love the idea BTW. I think it will be stunning.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D''oh! Good point about the size chart...and all this time I''ve been drawing the stones and cutting them out. I can''t believe I didn''t think of this.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2008 3:05:57 AM

LostSapphire, thanks so much for posting your ring! Guess what? I have it saved already in my files! haha... yours was one of the rings that caught my eye for the proportions of the stones! However, now I am having second thoughts about those proportions for my ring. Because my center stone is going to be a sapphire, I am hesitant about going so large because I worry about it looking too dramatic and not enough like an engagement ring. So I have been toying with a different proportion: 7.4mm center (equivalent to 1.5ct) with .50ct sides. Here's a pciture of that new proportion on the right and the larger center on the left. I think I may be leaning towards the smaller center stone because it looks more engagementy...my DH agrees (he humors my obsession). Any thoughts?

DD:

I think either one would work...you may, however, have more of a problem getting an exact diameter in a sapphire than a diamond. I think if you can be open to what you may find, the right colour, size, and shape will come to you. I've just noticed that when contacting sapphire companies (Jeff White is looking for one for me right now), they kind of 'ballpark the size' because he can't always get EXACTLY a 7mm x 9mm which is what I'm lookg for....just a thought.

Good luck and have FUN!

BTW I had to take the paper rounds off my ears when I went to bed last night...DH told me I was being an idiot!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2008 1:56:23 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 3/16/2008 1:49:07 PM
Thanks for the votes of confidence gemgirl, addy, and honey! The papers really help but I do think that the 2-D papers look ''smaller'' than the 3-D rocks will looks. Just comparing my cutout photos to LostSappire''s ''real life'' photo, I get the impression that when the stones actually protrude off the finger you get even more visual finger coverage than you do with the cut outs.... and THAT''s what makes me wonder if the 7.4mm center stone might be more ''manageable'' given my lifestyle.

Addy, I didn''t draw these cutouts myself! Somewhere on PS I ofund a great ''Actual diamond size'' chart that was originially from Amazon.com (I bet if you search goodle you can find it too''. It has scale drawings of 11 difference shaped stones at .25ct, .50ct, 1.0ct, 1.25ct, 1.5ct, 2.5ct, 3.0ct, 4.0ct and 5.0ct. So useful for this type of thing!

DD

They do look totally different! DH made me one ''true to size'' when my original ering had to be sent back to ERD a few months ago and before I got my sapphire ring. It looked so much smaller!!!

I love the idea BTW. I think it will be stunning.
Thanks Neatfreak, of course your stone was a big reason why I am needing a sapphire! Good to hear your impression of size too... I am a little torn because I don''t want "too big" and I don''t want "too small" and wish it was bigger later... I guess I would get used to either but I don''t want to regret anything either!

DD

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2008 1:59:54 PM
Author: LostSapphire

Date: 3/16/2008 3:05:57 AM

LostSapphire, thanks so much for posting your ring! Guess what? I have it saved already in my files! haha... yours was one of the rings that caught my eye for the proportions of the stones! However, now I am having second thoughts about those proportions for my ring. Because my center stone is going to be a sapphire, I am hesitant about going so large because I worry about it looking too dramatic and not enough like an engagement ring. So I have been toying with a different proportion: 7.4mm center (equivalent to 1.5ct) with .50ct sides. Here''s a pciture of that new proportion on the right and the larger center on the left. I think I may be leaning towards the smaller center stone because it looks more engagementy...my DH agrees (he humors my obsession). Any thoughts?

DD:

I think either one would work...you may, however, have more of a problem getting an exact diameter in a sapphire than a diamond. I think if you can be open to what you may find, the right colour, size, and shape will come to you. I''ve just noticed that when contacting sapphire companies (Jeff White is looking for one for me right now), they kind of ''ballpark the size'' because he can''t always get EXACTLY a 7mm x 9mm which is what I''m lookg for....just a thought.

Good luck and have FUN!

BTW I had to take the paper rounds off my ears when I went to bed last night...DH told me I was being an idiot!

Men just don''t understand, do they??
9.gif
And point taken about flexibility for size. I too plan to ask Jeff to sourse the rough and cut my stone (who can resist after the killer stones from him that have been posted lately, did you see Independent Gal''s spess? Yum! And I have already been in contact with him and he is really nice and approachable and knowledgable)... I wonder if he can be specific enough to try to end up with one between 7.5 and 8mm? I think that would be ideal... but I am openminded. Color and cut are much more important to me than the exact size, but I guess I don''t want it any smaller than 7.5 and no bigger than 8.5. I haven''t contacted him yet because I want to be totally sure that this is what I want first.. my DH teases me, but I really like to "test" decisions for a while to make sure it feels right before I actually pull the trigger and risk disappointment. Again, I know it is crazy...
2.gif

Can''t wait to see your ifnished stone LostSapphire... did he give you an idea how long it might take? A few months?

DD

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Men just don't understand, do they??
9.gif
And point taken about flexibility for size. I too plan to ask Jeff to sourse the rough and cut my stone (who can resist after the killer stones from him that have been posted lately, did you see Independent Gal's spess? Yum! And I have already been in contact with him and he is really nice and approachable and knowledgable)... I wonder if he can be specific enough to try to end up with one between 7.5 and 8mm? I think that would be ideal... but I am openminded. Color and cut are much more important to me than the exact size, but I guess I don't want it any smaller than 7.5 and no bigger than 8.5. I haven't contacted him yet because I want to be totally sure that this is what I want first.. my DH teases me, but I really like to 'test' decisions for a while to make sure it feels right before I actually pull the trigger and risk disappointment. Again, I know it is crazy...
2.gif

Can't wait to see your ifnished stone LostSapphire... did he give you an idea how long it might take? A few months?

DD

Jeff e-mailed me last night, and is starting on a 'hunt' for a rough big enough to do a 8mm x 10mm oval. My minimum is 7 x 9, but we figure we'll aim a bit high, because once he starts cutting, it's a bit hard to tell.

He estimates 1-2 months before I have the stone! WOOOEEEEEEEE I think I've finally come to a peaceful decision. I've held off remaking the 'lost sapphire' because nothing really called my heart until I saw NeatFreak's asscher and then I was hooked on Jeff White's work.

You are right, however, to make really sure of what you want: I found that the longer I looked at other people's rings, the more I changed my mind....so I stayed away from PS for a while and really tried to focus on what I wanted. And of course, the original lost ring is what bothers me most, so we're going to remake it (while upgrading colour,size, etc. It will be fairly close to the original...my husband said to me when he gave me my ER 20+ years ago that "I'd better get it right because that was the only one I'd ever get" So out of respect for that, I need to stay close design-wise to the first.....he won't remember how big it was, right??
11.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DD, keep in mind that sapphires weigh differently than diamonds, so you need slightly more weight to get the same size as a diamond. The sapphire I am considering is 7.9mm and weighs about 2.6 carats. So you probably want to stay around 2.5 carats. What size ring do you wear? I don''t think the 7.9mm would be too big unless you have really tiny fingers. It is slightly larger than my diamond which is 7.6mm, but since it is blue and not white, it doesn''t really have the appearance of being larger.

I do want to thank you for the paper cut outs! This is exactly how I was thinking of setting this sapphire! I think half carat rounds would be perfect on the sides.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2008 2:19:31 PM
Author: LostSapphire

Jeff e-mailed me last night, and is starting on a ''hunt'' for a rough big enough to do a 8mm x 10mm oval. My minimum is 7 x 9, but we figure we''ll aim a bit high, because once he starts cutting, it''s a bit hard to tell.

He estimates 1-2 months before I have the stone! WOOOEEEEEEEE I think I''ve finally come to a peaceful decision. I''ve held off remaking the ''lost sapphire'' because nothing really called my heart until I saw NeatFreak''s asscher and then I was hooked on Jeff White''s work.

You are right, however, to make really sure of what you want: I found that the longer I looked at other people''s rings, the more I changed my mind....so I stayed away from PS for a while and really tried to focus on what I wanted. And of course, the original lost ring is what bothers me most, so we''re going to remake it (while upgrading colour,size, etc. It will be fairly close to the original...my husband said to me when he gave me my ER 20+ years ago that ''I''d better get it right because that was the only one I''d ever get'' So out of respect for that, I need to stay close design-wise to the first.....he won''t remember how big it was, right??

How exciting Lost, that is a really great project, I can''t wait to see the finished product.

DD

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2008 3:07:25 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
DD, keep in mind that sapphires weigh differently than diamonds, so you need slightly more weight to get the same size as a diamond. The sapphire I am considering is 7.9mm and weighs about 2.6 carats. So you probably want to stay around 2.5 carats. What size ring do you wear? I don''t think the 7.9mm would be too big unless you have really tiny fingers. It is slightly larger than my diamond which is 7.6mm, but since it is blue and not white, it doesn''t really have the appearance of being larger.

I do want to thank you for the paper cut outs! This is exactly how I was thinking of setting this sapphire! I think half carat rounds would be perfect on the sides.
Thanks for pointing that out DS... Because of that I am trying right now to focus on measurements without thinking about the ct. weight, but if it gets too big it might stretch my budget too much! I really want to reserve enough funds to get a Leon classic three-stone (possible with a couple little diamonds on the shank if $$ permist). My finger is a 5.75, so they aren''t too tiny! In my social circle most people have very small stones in their rings, all under 1ct., so my love of LARGE makes me unusual. Although I am not one to typically care what people think, I want to make sure that my ring isn''t too big and "cocktail" looking... I really want it to be clear that it is an engagement ring. I saw the pics you posted of the beautiful sapphire you are pondering and although it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO beautiful, and I love its size, a part of me is hesitant to go so big with my own ring just because I don''t know if I can pull it off... I think in the end a stone between 7mm and 8mm may be the best size for me, with 7.5mm being ideal.

designchica

Shiny_Rock
I like the proportions. I think that will be a beautiful ring!

By the way, I am relieved to find out that I am not the only one who has ever taped paper cut-outs to their hand. I even drew one on with ink too!

E B

Ideal_Rock
DD,

I think it's a fabulous idea! And I vote for the 7.5mm stone, because you made a valid point; everything will be raised when set, and it'll be quite a spread even with a 7.5mm center and .5ct stones on each side. That's a LOT of bling.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2008 4:26:31 PM

Thanks for pointing that out DS... Because of that I am trying right now to focus on measurements without thinking about the ct. weight, but if it gets too big it might stretch my budget too much! I really want to reserve enough funds to get a Leon classic three-stone (possible with a couple little diamonds on the shank if $$ permist). My finger is a 5.75, so they aren''t too tiny! In my social circle most people have very small stones in their rings, all under 1ct., so my love of LARGE makes me unusual. Although I am not one to typically care what people think, I want to make sure that my ring isn''t too big and ''cocktail'' looking... I really want it to be clear that it is an engagement ring. I saw the pics you posted of the beautiful sapphire you are pondering and although it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO beautiful, and I love its size, a part of me is hesitant to go so big with my own ring just because I don''t know if I can pull it off... I think in the end a stone between 7mm and 8mm may be the best size for me, with 7.5mm being ideal.
Are you sure you aren''t me???
2.gif
I am also size sensitive and have worried over my diamond being too big ever since I got it! But since I set it in the Leon Mege setting, I am much more content with it. Since sapphires are not blingy, I do not think you are going to feel that way, though.

I want the same setting and almost the same stone. So maybe we could just ask Leon for a 2 for 1 special!
9.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Yeah Daschie!
Stick with the blue, you know its your true lurve.
Sounds blingy and classic.
Much like the ladies who all posted above.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2008 5:19:34 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Date: 3/16/2008 4:26:31 PM

Thanks for pointing that out DS... Because of that I am trying right now to focus on measurements without thinking about the ct. weight, but if it gets too big it might stretch my budget too much! I really want to reserve enough funds to get a Leon classic three-stone (possible with a couple little diamonds on the shank if $$ permist). My finger is a 5.75, so they aren''t too tiny! In my social circle most people have very small stones in their rings, all under 1ct., so my love of LARGE makes me unusual. Although I am not one to typically care what people think, I want to make sure that my ring isn''t too big and ''cocktail'' looking... I really want it to be clear that it is an engagement ring. I saw the pics you posted of the beautiful sapphire you are pondering and although it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO beautiful, and I love its size, a part of me is hesitant to go so big with my own ring just because I don''t know if I can pull it off... I think in the end a stone between 7mm and 8mm may be the best size for me, with 7.5mm being ideal.
Are you sure you aren''t me???
2.gif
I am also size sensitive and have worried over my diamond being too big ever since I got it! But since I set it in the Leon Mege setting, I am much more content with it. Since sapphires are not blingy, I do not think you are going to feel that way, though.

I want the same setting and almost the same stone. So maybe we could just ask Leon for a 2 for 1 special!
9.gif
DS: Hahaha... we have the same size finger too, don''t we? Funny... if we are long lost twins, does that mean that I can borrow your AMAZING diamond Leon solitaire? I will look after it so carefully. You can borrow anything of mine that you like, but I''m not sure I have something of equal value and beauty except my dogs! They are very sweet, what do you say?

I actually just e-mailed Leon to get a quote for the setting so I have a better idea of what my stone budget will be. I know that the stone should come first, but I want this to be my forever ring (meaning I don''t want to change this particular ring again, I will get other rings I am sure!), and I have learned that I am a total perfectionist when it comes to my setting, so I thought I''d start there.

You are right about sapphire not being blingy, I am having a really hard time picturing a ring of those proportions on my finger... something tells me that if I got the 8mm stone, I would get used to the size
31.gif
!! Although that would be a really blinger of a ring that makes a big statement, people who know me would say that I am not exactly a shrinking violet myself. I would really hate to wish my stone was bigger!! But I am starting to think that 7.5mm would be perrrrrfect... Maybe agonizing over .5mm is dumb??

swimmer -- you know I love the blue! I almost went over to the "light" side, but when I did the math and thought ".90 ct diamond OR 2ct GORGEOUS SAPPHIRE with diamonds" it just didn''t add up! Now that I''ve seen a few "real life" pics of Jeff White''s cutting, I am totally convinced that a sapphire is the way to go. I love the uniqueness of it. BTW I love the w-and you chose, it looks HOT with your ring!

DD

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results