shape
carat
color
clarity

I need honest opinions about my ring!

pipertong

Rough_Rock
Ok that’s a little weird. Normally you should get a CAD for approval. Did you discuss exactly what you wanted or give her full authority to do as she saw best? There are some jewelers I trust absolutely (Victor) but for the rest, approval is key imo. Especially if there’s a mismatch between your expectations around the stone’s color and putting it in 18k yellow gold. I agree with the poster above that the metal choice and setting will likely increase the color.

I had one initial consultation with her but that was it. I think I appreciate the ring more now than I did when I posted. She really did a great job. However, I would have preferred to be more in the loop. I love Victor Barbonne's work! That's what we pulled the inspo from.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I had one initial consultation with her but that was it. I think I appreciate the ring more now than I did when I posted. She really did a great job. However, I would have preferred to be more in the loop. I love Victor Barbonne's work! That's what we pulled the inspo from.

I hope you adore it in person. I agree that you should have been kept more in the loop. I've had a few pieces made (by David Klass) and always had to give final approval of the CAD (or more often CADS, due to desired adjustments) before the piece was made. I was also offered a rubber/plastic mold of it before it was made (can't think of the name of it now) but never wanted to wait to receive that or bother with it. So I don't think that was right. But I do hope you'll love it so much in person that it won't matter. :)

pipertong

Rough_Rock
I hope you adore it in person. I agree that you should have been kept more in the loop. I've had a few pieces made (by David Klass) and always had to give final approval of the CAD (or more often CADS, due to desired adjustments) before the piece was made. I was also offered a rubber/plastic mold of it before it was made (can't think of the name of it now) but never wanted to wait to receive that or bother with it. So I don't think that was right. But I do hope you'll love it so much in person that it won't matter. :)

Me too! I've made a promise to my hubby that if I don't love, we will wait to go to a jeweler in person to set it. I don't think that will be an issue. I am done with doing things remotely, however, when you don't live near a major city, it's hard!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Me too! I've made a promise to my hubby that if I don't love, we will wait to go to a jeweler in person to set it. I don't think that will be an issue. I am done with doing things remotely, however, when you don't live near a major city, it's hard!

I hesitated to work long distance with having jewelry made but ran into that same issue here of not finding anyone I wanted to work with locally. I did not want to take a chance on someone without a whole lot of satisfied customers under their belt. I was happily surprised to not feel like it made any difference (with DK), though. Between CADS, emails and if needed, phone calls, I really don't know what would be different in person tbh.

JMO of course but it seems to me the problem you had was that the jeweler skipped a couple of steps in the process. IMO you should have seen a CAD, and been given the option of making changes to it, with discussion about it with the jeweler if wanted and also a mold of the ring first, if you wanted. You should have been asked and given your final approval before they proceeded.

Anyway, I really hope you like it anyway!

Last edited:

pipertong

Rough_Rock
Will everyone who commented be notified once I post my ring or will I need to start a new thread?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will everyone who commented be notified once I post my ring or will I need to start a new thread?

You should begin a show me the bling thread if you’re in love with it!!
If you want more advice come back here.
Wishing you much luck!! It’s beautiful!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Yes, we will get a notification but as Slick said a SMTB thread would be great if you are happy and just want to show it off :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your ring is spectacular and I wouldn’t change a thing! :kiss2:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It would be nice if you posted on this thread that you got the ring and made a SMTB thread and linked it.

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
Honestly? The new setting would bother me. I’m working with Alex Park on a new engagement ring and the stone color is a bit warmer than I wanted (he estimates Q-R but it could be an O-P, it’s not certified). You can embrace a warm stone and not want it to read full yellow. That’s why I’m going with unpolished 14k white gold for my setting. It’s a little warmer than plated WG but not as yellow as yellow gold. And keep in mind that the higher the gold content, the more yellow it will look. So even if I went with yellow gold, I would go with 14k and keep the basket light/open to allow more light in and hopefully not reflect the yellow quite so much. Hope that’s helpful!

This ring is gorgeous though if you can get past it making your stone look more yellow.

pipertong

Rough_Rock
Honestly? The new setting would bother me. I’m working with Alex Park on a new engagement ring and the stone color is a bit warmer than I wanted (he estimates Q-R but it could be an O-P, it’s not certified). You can embrace a warm stone and not want it to read full yellow. That’s why I’m going with unpolished 14k white gold for my setting. It’s a little warmer than plated WG but not as yellow as yellow gold. And keep in mind that the higher the gold content, the more yellow it will look. So even if I went with yellow gold, I would go with 14k and keep the basket light/open to allow more light in and hopefully not reflect the yellow quite so much. Hope that’s helpful!

This ring is gorgeous though if you can get past it making your stone look more yellow.

It's coming today && I am so excited! Fortunately she sent me more pics and it doesn't look yellow. It's the drab yellow wallpaper background that's not doing any justice on the pics. Can't for the life of me get it to upload but I did want to show you all. If I don't love it, once I relocate to Seacoast New Hampshire, I might go to someone in person in Boston to reset it. As my husband reminded me - the hard $$$ part of it is over with the sourcing of the diamonds! I think it'll all work out :)

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Really, really lovely! Happy ending to this story.

pipertong

Rough_Rock

I hope this works! I messed the title up originally

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results