color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The closing lines in a NYT article about meatloaf:

What if I'm on a diet?

Don't eat meatloaf. Have a salad. Godspeed to you.

HA!!! I have no idea why this is to funny to me, but it IS!

(And puhleeeeeeze do not ask me why I -- She Who Does Not Cook AT ALL -- read an entire article about meatloaf, but I did!)

That's not weird IMO. What would be weird is if you were a vegan/vegetarian and read a whole article about meatloaf. That would be strange. But not being a cook and reading it that doesn't strike me as off in any way. I don't cook or bake but man I love reading about yummy food.:lickout:

As an aside I once had a delicious vegetarian "meat"loaf. If I can find that recipe I will share it. I cannot remember if the protein source was Seitan but it was so delicious.
Oh and my dh makes a yummy vegetarian lasagna (Calliecake can confirm this) so it can be done...making delicious vegetarian dishes. Haha sorry for the threadjack but it is the "RANDOM" comments thread and I am enjoying that to the fullest. The random comments part. Right up my alley.:lol:

Carry on.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey:
I'm :Dright now. I got my first check for freelance work. A couple of weeks ago a former colleague contacted me for some help. I did the work, told him the hours I worked and he replied that he would tack on an extra $5/hour on top of the rate I quoted him. I got the check today! :$$): Feels good that he remembered me even though we haven't worked together in 4 years. :geek:

GO Pinto!!!!!!!!!! You rock girlfriend!!!!! :appl::appl::appl:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a very terrible sad day yesterday. I went out to the barn to feed and one of my barn cats had been hit by a car then drug himself to the barn. He was alive with broken hips and one leg almost severed. He just looked up at me but could not move his hind end. I started crying and ran to the house to get DH. He took care of it but he was bawling too. It was one of the two friendly brothers we adopted last summer. The other one greeted me this morning wanting lots of pets. This makes me so sad because we try very hard to keep them at the back of the place but we live on a busy road and the cats hunt all over. Now we only have 3 left. I had adopted two wild ones last summer also from the local shelter but we don't see them much - they hide when we go out there. This is the part I hate about having animals but they bring so much joy to our life. I hope we make them happy also while they are here. My heart is broken for DH because this breaks him up to have to do it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry Redwood. I hope you can take comfort in knowing that he had a good life with you.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs, redwood :cry:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks VR and PB. I am having a very hard day today. :cry:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's awful redwood. I am so sorry.:cry::cry::cry:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Redwood, I couldn't read your whole post but I am so sorry you all had to go through that, esp the cat. That is just heartbreaking and I really feel for you and your husband.

Missy I would like to have all of those veg recipes you mentioned. I used to love my mom's meatloaf (who knows why, maybe because ketchup was involved--I hated most any meat growing up and now haven't eaten it for 12 years) so I would probably enjoy a veggie version. Seitan is great for soaking up flavor, even moreso than tofu. I used to get a bbq seitan dish from a hot buffet at a local grocery co-op and it was amazing.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lickout: IMG_2331.JPG
Eeeeee! My neighbors are dog sitting a cutie pup they once fostered and got adopted by their friends within a week of fostering! Twice this week their lunch relief person couldn't make it so I got to take the pup out at lunch for a few laps! Forced my ass out of the house! (Can I stop using exclamation marks?!). Anyways my darling next door neighbors left this for me this evening! Mmmmm pear frangipaine-in-my-ass-when-it-gets-even-larger! :lickout:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, I'm so sorry. It breaks my heart just to hear about it, I can only imagine how horrible it must have been for you and your husband. Hugs

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy I would like to have all of those veg recipes you mentioned. I used to love my mom's meatloaf (who knows why, maybe because ketchup was involved--I hated most any meat growing up and now haven't eaten it for 12 years) so I would probably enjoy a veggie version. Seitan is great for soaking up flavor, even moreso than tofu. I used to get a bbq seitan dish from a hot buffet at a local grocery co-op and it was amazing.

Monnie I will get the recipes from Greg though I am not sure he will have the meatloaf recipe since he only made it once and that was over a decade ago. It was good though but I am the kind of vegetarian that doesn't even like to eat veggie meat. Weird I know. But I will share what I can find here with you. I agree Seitan can be yummy. Sharing below the photo I took when Callie and I were enjoying Greg's lasagna. Yummmm. When you visit I will ask him to make another!

lasagnaalagreg.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lickout: IMG_2331.JPG
Eeeeee! My neighbors are dog sitting a cutie pup they once fostered and got adopted by their friends within a week of fostering! Twice this week their lunch relief person couldn't make it so I got to take the pup out at lunch for a few laps! Forced my ass out of the house! (Can I stop using exclamation marks?!). Anyways my darling next door neighbors left this for me this evening! Mmmmm pear frangipaine-in-my-ass-when-it-gets-even-larger! :lickout:

Oh what wonderful neighbors both ways and yay for getting to walk a sweet puppy! I would love that! My good friend who lives in my building used to have a dog that I used to walk with and without her and now that he is gone and she is not adopting another I miss that interaction with a dog. Lucky Pinto! And yummy to the dessert your thankful neighbors left for you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie here is the lasagna recipe. It is not a vegan recipe (has eggs and cheese in it) unfortunately but you can make substitutions. However I wanted to share the way Greg makes it so I left it for you as is.
I will have to get back to you re the meatloaf recipe. Hope you enjoy!

Lasagna

1 28-ounce jar of low-fat spaghetti sauce (you choose brand)

1 16-ounce can fat-free vegetarian stock/bullion

2 eggs

8 ounces grated part-skim mozzarella cheese

2 cups low-fat ricotta cheese

1 package frozen chopped spinach

1 finely chopped onion

1/2 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms

1/2 tsp. soy sauce

1 tsp. balsamic vinegar

8 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Lightly oil bottom of baking pan. Stir one cup of the chicken stock into the spaghetti sauce and set aside. Whisk the egg. Stir in ricotta cheese and one cup of the mozzarella. Add garlic, salt and pepper and set aside.

4. Sauté the onion in 1/2 cup chicken stock until it is translucent. Cook the mushrooms in the remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock adding the soy sauce and vinegar. Simmer until all liquid is absorbed. Mix together spinach, onions and mushrooms.

5. Build the lasagna starting with a layer of sauce in the bottom of the pan. Add one layer of the uncooked noodles followed by more sauce, 1/3 of the cheese mixture and 1/3 of the spinach/beef mixture. Repeat two more times, finishing off with the spinach mixture and the remaining sauce.

6. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until liquid around the edges has been absorbed. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella on top and bake for 15 minutes more. Serves 10.

And here is another recipe from Cooks Illustrated that Greg has made before too. And it is delicious as well.

View attachment Cook'sIllustratedvegetarianlasagna.jpg.pdf

Last edited:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, I'm so so sorry... biggest hugs outgoing to you and your DH.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Redwood...I'm so sorry. Such a difficult situation to have a pet go though.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your kind comments. It is so appreciated.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your kind comments. It is so appreciated.

Take care. Reading your narrative was upsetting--I can only imagine how your felt seeing this, IRL, Glad your barn is home to many critters!!

kind regards--Sharon

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, This Lasagne is the best!!!! I would make it myself if I cooked. It's sooooo delicious.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Red, that was heartbreaking to read your post . I am so terribly sorry. I can't even imagine. How awful. I wish you and your DH didn't have to go through that and that poor kitty. Hugs to you.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so so sorry Red. Big hugs to you and your DH. You are very kind hearted people!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, thank you so much for the recipes! LOL at the first one; if you read the instructions you can tell someone rewrote the ingredients to substitute veggie broth for chicken broth--the directions say to saute the onion in chicken broth. That's pretty common with veg recipes, though.

I don't often use meat substitutes, either. I have ONE guilty pleasure, though: "chicken" nuggets by Morningstar with BBQ sauce for dipping. Brings me back to my teenage/college years when I would deign to eat McD's every few weeks--10 pc nugget!!! I grew up on zero fast food so I think when I started driving I exercised that new-found freedom for a few years. :mrgreen:

If there is a NY GTG or if I have more free time to travel this year I would LOVE to come and visit you and some other PSrs around the area, and of course I would love a comforting veggie lasagna! I'm so glad you and Callie are buddies; you two are like the twenty teens (?) version of Mara and AlJ!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take care. Reading your narrative was upsetting--I can only imagine how your felt seeing this, IRL, Glad your barn is home to many critters!!

kind regards--Sharon

Sharon I am sorry that it was so upsetting to read because that was not my intention. It was so heartbreaking for me I had to get it out. DH and I are still trying to get over it. We have been very blessed that none of our animals have been hit on the road in the 12 years we have lived here. Our neighbors have had dogs killed but they refuse to put up a fence. We have wire horse fence along the whole front to keep ours in.

Thank you Bonfire and siamese3.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RW:

Print doesn't always translate as we (I) hope--please do not worry about me because this is not about me. You and your family experienced a traumatizing event, and it need processing. All good here. BIG HUGS.

healing vibes across the miles.......

kind regards--Sharon

Last edited:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, I'm sure you know this, but it will take time for the pain to be dulled in your minds and hearts. Having grown up on a farm I am all too aware of this. Fortunate to have loved many animals but sadly watched as many passed. Certainly leaves scars on the heart.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Redwood I am so sorry. :blackeye: poor kitty it was heartbreaking to read. :blackeye:

My heart breaks for you and your DH. :blackeye:

:blackeye:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, thank you so much for the recipes! LOL at the first one; if you read the instructions you can tell someone rewrote the ingredients to substitute veggie broth for chicken broth--the directions say to saute the onion in chicken broth. That's pretty common with veg recipes, though.

I don't often use meat substitutes, either. I have ONE guilty pleasure, though: "chicken" nuggets by Morningstar with BBQ sauce for dipping. Brings me back to my teenage/college years when I would deign to eat McD's every few weeks--10 pc nugget!!! I grew up on zero fast food so I think when I started driving I exercised that new-found freedom for a few years. :mrgreen:

If there is a NY GTG or if I have more free time to travel this year I would LOVE to come and visit you and some other PSrs around the area, and of course I would love a comforting veggie lasagna! I'm so glad you and Callie are buddies; you two are like the twenty teens (?) version of Mara and AlJ!

Monnie you are so welcome! I haven't yet located the meatloaf recipe but Greg said he would look for it when he gets the chance. I am excited you are willing to come here if there is a NY GTG. Keep in mind if you ever find yourself visiting the area (with or without a GTG) I would love to meet you in person. And haha I LOL'd when I read what you wrote about Callie and I reminding you of Mara and ALJ. I joined PS when they were posting less often (if even at all) so I really didn't get to know either of them except when I went to Adam in search of an OEC and found out Mara and her dh had gone recently as well. We are all PS sisters in any case aren't we? And we all have good taste in diamonds in common.:cheeky: :appl: And as PS sisters we are strong and blingy and in honor of our sisterhood I would like to share this little saying with everyone. (Of course we all know diamonds can crack but heck we are strong!)

youreadiamonddeartheycantbreakyou.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK I'm going in... completing and filing both state and federal tax returns today! Hoping to get both of them done by 5 so I can treat myself to the new "luxury" knitting needles I've promised myself. (OK, I'll get these needles no matter what, but it would be nice to be able to get them today....)

See y'all after I've filed those taxes!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
red-

I am very sorry you lost a pet in a traumatic way. I couldn't read the account after reading all the comments about how terrible the incident was. These are the times when I question how there could be a God. I am so sorry.

Love,
Deb

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TAXES DONE AND FILED! And one of these years I'll actually meet my goal of getting them in by mid-February! :wink2: :lol:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear, that's so sad @redwood66 absolutely devastating to lose them in any circumstances, let alone like this. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results