carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1488892507|4137537 said:
Just a little link that some of you might find useful. I didn't feel like getting into a thread with this so hope it is OK to just link it here as an fyi for those who are interested. Easy to ignore but easy to read if you want to.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/243913

12 Ways Successful People Handle Toxic People
TRAVIS BRADBERRY

Toxic people defy logic. Some are blissfully unaware of the negative impact that they have on those around them, and others seem to derive satisfaction from creating chaos and pushing other people’s buttons. Either way, they create unnecessary complexity, strife, and worst of all stress.

Studies have long shown that stress can have a lasting, negative impact on the brain. Exposure to even a few days of stress compromises the effectiveness of neurons in the hippocampus—an important brain area responsible for reasoning and memory. Weeks of stress cause reversible damage to neuronal dendrites (the small “arms” that brain cells use to communicate with each other), and months of stress can permanently destroy neurons. Stress is a formidable threat to your success—when stress gets out of control, your brain and your performance suffer.

Most sources of stress at work are easy to identify. If your non-profit is working to land a grant that your organization needs to function, you’re bound to feel stress and likely know how to manage it. It’s the unexpected sources of stress that take you by surprise and harm you the most.

Recent research from the Department of Biological and Clinical Psychology at Friedrich Schiller University in Germany found that exposure to stimuli that cause strong negative emotions—the same kind of exposure you get when dealing with toxic people—caused subjects’ brains to have a massive stress response. Whether it’s negativity, cruelty, the victim syndrome, or just plain craziness, toxic people drive your brain into a stressed-out state that should be avoided at all costs.

The ability to manage your emotions and remain calm under pressure has a direct link to your performance. TalentSmart has conducted research with more than a million people, and we’ve found that 90% of top performers are skilled at managing their emotions in times of stress in order to remain calm and in control. One of their greatest gifts is the ability to neutralize toxic people. Top performers have well-honed coping strategies that they employ to keep toxic people at bay.

While I’ve run across numerous effective strategies that successful people employ when dealing with toxic people, what follows are twelve of the best. To deal with toxic people effectively, you need an approach that enables you, across the board, to control what you can and eliminate what you can’t. The important thing to remember is that you are in control of far more than you realize.

1. They Set Limits (Especially with Complainers)
Complainers and negative people are bad news because they wallow in their problems and fail to focus on solutions. They want people to join their pity party so that they can feel better about themselves. People often feel pressure to listen to complainers because they don’t want to be seen as callous or rude, but there’s a fine line between lending a sympathetic ear and getting sucked into their negative emotional spiral.

You can avoid this only by setting limits and distancing yourself when necessary. Think of it this way: if the complainer were smoking, would you sit there all afternoon inhaling the second-hand smoke? You’d distance yourself, and you should do the same with complainers. A great way to set limits is to ask complainers how they intend to fix the problem. They will either quiet down or redirect the conversation in a productive direction.

2. They Don’t Die in the Fight
Successful people know how important it is to live to fight another day, especially when your foe is a toxic individual. In conflict, unchecked emotion makes you dig your heels in and fight the kind of battle that can leave you severely damaged. When you read and respond to your emotions, you’re able to choose your battles wisely and only stand your ground when the time is right.

3. They Rise Above
Toxic people drive you crazy because their behavior is so irrational. Make no mistake about it; their behavior truly goes against reason. So why do you allow yourself to respond to them emotionally and get sucked into the mix?

The more irrational and off-base someone is, the easier it should be for you to remove yourself from their traps. Quit trying to beat them at their own game. Distance yourself from them emotionally and approach your interactions like they’re a science project (or you’re their shrink, if you prefer the analogy). You don’t need to respond to the emotional chaos—only the facts.

4. They Stay Aware of Their Emotions
Maintaining an emotional distance requires awareness. You can’t stop someone from pushing your buttons if you don’t recognize when it’s happening. Sometimes you’ll find yourself in situations where you’ll need to regroup and choose the best way forward. This is fine and you shouldn’t be afraid to buy yourself some time to do so.

Think of it this way—if a mentally unstable person approaches you on the street and tells you he’s John F. Kennedy, you’re unlikely to set him straight. When you find yourself with a coworker who is engaged in similarly derailed thinking, sometimes it’s best to just smile and nod. If you’re going to have to straighten them out, it’s better to give yourself some time to plan the best way to go about it.

5. They Establish Boundaries
This is the area where most people tend to sell themselves short. They feel like because they work or live with someone, they have no way to control the chaos. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Once you’ve found your way to Rise Above a person, you’ll begin to find their behavior more predictable and easier to understand. This will equip you to think rationally about when and where you have to put up with them and when you don’t. For example, even if you work with someone closely on a project team, that doesn’t mean that you need to have the same level of one-on-one interaction with them that you have with other team members.

You can establish a boundary, but you’ll have to do so consciously and proactively. If you let things happen naturally, you are bound to find yourself constantly embroiled in difficult conversations. If you set boundaries and decide when and where you’ll engage a difficult person, you can control much of the chaos. The only trick is to stick to your guns and keep boundaries in place when the person tries to encroach upon them, which they will.

6. They Won’t Let Anyone Limit Their Joy
When your sense of pleasure and satisfaction are derived from the opinions of other people, you are no longer the master of your own happiness. When emotionally intelligent people feel good about something that they’ve done, they won’t let anyone’s opinions or snide remarks take that away from them.

While it’s impossible to turn off your reactions to what others think of you, you don’t have to compare yourself to others, and you can always take people’s opinions with a grain of salt. That way, no matter what toxic people are thinking or doing, your self-worth comes from within. Regardless of what people think of you at any particular moment, one thing is certain—you’re never as good or bad as they say you are.

7. They Don’t Focus on Problems—Only Solutions
Where you focus your attention determines your emotional state. When you fixate on the problems you’re facing, you create and prolong negative emotions and stress. When you focus on actions to better yourself and your circumstances, you create a sense of personal efficacy that produces positive emotions and reduces stress.

When it comes to toxic people, fixating on how crazy and difficult they are gives them power over you. Quit thinking about how troubling your difficult person is, and focus instead on how you’re going to go about handling them. This makes you more effective by putting you in control, and it will reduce the amount of stress you experience when interacting with them.

8. They Don’t Forget
Emotionally intelligent people are quick to forgive, but that doesn’t mean that they forget. Forgiveness requires letting go of what’s happened so that you can move on. It doesn’t mean you’ll give a wrongdoer another chance. Successful people are unwilling to be bogged down unnecessarily by others’ mistakes, so they let them go quickly and are assertive in protecting themselves from future harm.

9. They Squash Negative Self-Talk
Sometimes you absorb the negativity of other people. There’s nothing wrong with feeling bad about how someone is treating you, but your self-talk (the thoughts you have about your feelings) can either intensify the negativity or help you move past it. Negative self-talk is unrealistic, unnecessary, and self-defeating. It sends you into a downward emotional spiral that is difficult to pull out of. You should avoid negative self-talk at all costs.

10. They Limit Their Caffeine Intake
Drinking caffeine triggers the release of adrenaline. Adrenaline is the source of the “fight-or-flight” response, a survival mechanism that forces you to stand up and fight or run for the hills when faced with a threat. The fight-or-flight mechanism sidesteps rational thinking in favor of a faster response. This is great when a bear is chasing you, but not so great when you’re surprised in the hallway by an angry coworker.

11. They Get Some Sleep
I’ve beaten this one to death over the years and can’t say enough about the importance of sleep to increasing your emotional intelligence and managing your stress levels. When you sleep, your brain literally recharges, shuffling through the day’s memories and storing or discarding them (which causes dreams), so that you wake up alert and clear-headed. Your self-control, attention, and memory are all reduced when you don’t get enough—or the right kind—of sleep. Sleep deprivation raises stress hormone levels on its own, even without a stressor present.

A good night’s sleep makes you more positive, creative, and proactive in your approach to toxic people, giving you the perspective you need to deal effectively with them.

12. They Use Their Support System
It’s tempting, yet entirely ineffective, to attempt tackling everything by yourself. To deal with toxic people, you need to recognize the weaknesses in your approach to them. This means tapping into your support system to gain perspective on a challenging person. Everyone has someone at work and/or outside work who is on their team, rooting for them, and ready to help them get the best from a difficult situation. Identify these individuals in your life and make an effort to seek their insight and assistance when you need it. Something as simple as explaining the situation can lead to a new perspective. Most of the time, other people can see a solution that you can’t because they are not as emotionally invested in the situation.

Bringing It All Together
Before you get this system to work brilliantly, you’re going to have to pass some tests. Most of the time, you will find yourself tested by touchy interactions with problem people. Thankfully, the plasticity of the brain allows it to mold and change as you practice new behaviors, even when you fail. Implementing these healthy, stress-relieving techniques for dealing with difficult people will train your brain to handle stress more effectively and decrease the likelihood of ill effects.

Thank you for this. It is quite helpful. :wavey:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
katharath|1488910572|4137681 said:
VapidLapid|1488909940|4137673 said:
Due to the contagion of rabid stupidity that is plaguing our nation, I have had to resort to putting at least seven people here on ignore. One of whom I have long thought is a paid troll of propaganda for trump, who showed up here during the campaigning and has never, to my knowledge, posted about jewelry or gems, but manages to shock and awe the forum for ten hours a day. They get so high on their venom that reason, logic, and basic standards for validity are unable to penetrate their imperious wall of dung. I want not to be sucked in to their terminal cycle. I have a life with real goals, and real interests, and real problems. The time lost of my conscious attention and brain power, let alone the subconscious care to remove the seeds of their poison weeds from the gardens of my mind comes at a wastefully high cost. I salute those who have the fortitude to continue offering them opportunities for reasoned dialogue, hoping to save one or two.

I so love your posts. We've never interacted much, but I've long admired your words. Hope you're well.

Well that sounds like he is talking about me.

And if so I have been here since 2004, so I hardly just showed up.

I do not post in Rocky Talk because I have my original diamond ring and would not trade or upgrade it for the world. With 3 children to support and college tuitions to pay I can hardly afford it anyway. So, I do not have much diamond knowledge to share.

I will refrain from saying anything further about this venomous post because I know this person has gone through some hard times and will take the high road. Although I do find the part about how much time I supposedly spend here a little creepy. But as I may not be posting on Rocky Talk or gems, how do you know I am not spending time over there reading the posts?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Ah no dear Ruby, I was not talking about you

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A string of good days in a row! Yesterday DH was delighted to get a raise and a bonus! Tonight, we accompanied our neighbor to an interesting dining experience where we tried new meats. It was so much fun! I adore my neighbor and he thinks I'm wildly funny lolol! He has a serious doctor's visit coming up where he will have to pick his course of treatment for his cancer so we try to be there for him as much as possible.

Today the Costco blinds vendor came to provide an estimate for mg kitchen windows. I'm so excited! I'm getting double cell cellular blinds, cordless, up down for the 3 sets of windows that make up a sort of framed picture window. I'm going with a taupe that runs grey or beige depending on the lighting. It's rather neutral. The sales guy was cracking me up because he's like dang it's cold by the windows! Do you eat at the table by the window? Nope - we eat in the living room one floor up Bahahaha! (Actually I eat in the bedroom...). He likened the cold by the window to one of those Russian bars with ice where everyone's in furs Bahahahaha!

Then mom came over to see MAH NEW BABY Belle, short for Bellerina (credit to Aunty Missy :love: for the beautiful longer name). She expressed an interest in borrowing a bag and reminded me of her search for a new wallet on the compact and flatter side for her upcoming trip in April, so I gave her her second LV bag that I had had for several years and never used (Salina PM tote, but had treated the handles with Lovin' my bags) and a wallet I got last year from LV and have yet to use. Mom was like - wow I should have had more kids then I'd be getting more LVs Bahahaha... I tried to give her my never used damier ebene duffel 25 because I feel too old for the size and she had the same reaction too but said I should use it bc the shape would be cute carried by me. Lololol... it's funny bc I only wear sweats and my landsend fleece on my day to day and the inner pockets hold my wallet and keys and my putter pocket is wear I shove my cell phone in.

Saturday Bellerina came home to us...
Sunday went to a chocolate show and came home with everything but chocolate. I ate a spinach, artichoke and blue cheese pocket pie and drank lemonade on site and took home, salt and vinegar popcorn, Chicago cheddar popcorn, white pear balsamic vinegar, chocolate Reece's cake in a jar, coconut rum cake, spinach artichoke cheese spread, garlic and herb cheese spread, and maple cheddar cheese spread. Yay! :lickout:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto Bean, It is good to hear you sounding happy! Your previous post had me worried. Hopefully things will continue to improve with your husband. Your post made my evening. I'm looking forward to meeting you in person at the Pricescope GTG

Vapid Lapid, It is so good to see you back here. I have thought of you often and hoped you were doing well. If it you makes you feel any better there are many of us here who share your thoughts with all that has been happening in our country. I hope you continue to post!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto! I am sorry about your neighbor honey. Sending them well wishes and healing vibes.

And of course I love sweet Bellerina. Tell her Auntie Missy sends lots of purrs and love her way.
Aren't you going to share photos of her for other PSers to enjoy?

Big (((hugs))) from me and the furry crew at our household to you and your fur babies and especially dear Bellerina and tell her my fur babies are excitedly awaiting her visit. 8) :halo:

And you are a great DD by the way. Lucky lucky mom. :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oakgem has the MOST Buccellati items I've ever seen! Anything left in the retailers??? :lol:

cheers--Sharon

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks to me like Bizarro managed to sneak one by the comic page censors today! :lol:

screen_shot_2017-03-10_at_3.png

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weekend in the desert, full moon, private mineral springs hot tub, good wine and​ a coyote serenade.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

img_20170310_181905.jpg

img_20170310_181849.jpg

img_20170310_173258.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ermagherd VRBeauty I thought it was a violin case at first :oops:

Matata gorgeous pics!! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VR, haha, good one.

Matata, what beautiful peaceful scenery. A lovely place for a weekend getaway.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
When and how did I become a Trade member? I am not, but someone has put the badge on my posts like a "Kick Me" sign on my back.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1489447757|4139867 said:
When and how did I become a Trade member? I am not, but someone has put the badge on my posts like a "Kick Me" sign on my back.
Hit the report concern button or email admins to fix it.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Matata|1489449694|4139902 said:
VapidLapid|1489447757|4139867 said:
Hit the report concern button or email admins to fix it.

Fixed

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is after 1am. I have a presentation to give in class tomorrow worth a big chunk of my grade. Still wrapping up my PowerPoint.

So close to done with the quarter! Finals next week.

Just found out that someone I used to work for got fired for regulatory issues. He is a kind, honest man who always did what was best for his clients... (I really believe this and I k ow they did very well with him)
But policy is policy. You HAVE to follow every letter of the regulations. There is going to be an investigation by the regulatory agency. The broker/dealer has already fired him, banned him from entering the business complex, etc. (And, of course, reported the violations as required).

I feel bad for the person who took over when I left. She has a massive mess to deal with as the other agent is now moving branches, etc.

I'm hoping that I won't be involved in the investigation. I have been gone for 5 years, so hopefully won't involve me. I know I am not liable for anything. The regulations and the contract I had make that very clear. I just don't want to be involved.

ETA: It was a paperwork requirement he skipped. No missing money or anything. It wasn't okay to skip, but at least it is a relatively minor thing. (As in no clients were injured by it)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old Matata has a garden
e i e i o
and in that garden she has weeds
weedy weedy woe
here's a weed, there's a weed
everywhere a weed weed

Oh my aching back.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My father had a seizure this morning (Wednesday). On Monday my daughter was released from a psychiatric hospital. Tomorrow I drive to Virginia for a doctor's appointment. I would have cancelled it if my father's situation was dire, but he appears stable. My brother is coming down to run the menagerie here, including taking my daughter to her psychiatrist tomorrow. (She needs to see him post-hospital to get her new medications refilled.) The doctor said my father may have had a stroke, and asked if I just want him to get the transfusion he needs tomorrow or also be tested to see if he had a stroke. I took the call from my father's doctor on my cell phone pulled over on the shoulder on the side of the thruway delivering food to a friend's son. The doctor is asking me, without my brother there, how aggressively I want to pursue this. How do I know? I said I guess we want to know what caused the seizure. I am glad, later, when my brother says that is what we wanted. I have no idea anymore what we want.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1489632962|4140742 said:
My father had a seizure this morning (Wednesday). On Monday my daughter was released from a psychiatric hospital. Tomorrow I drive to Virginia for a doctor's appointment. I would have cancelled it if my father's situation was dire, but he appears stable. My brother is coming down to run the menagerie here, including taking my daughter to her psychiatrist tomorrow. (She needs to see him post-hospital to get her new medications refilled.) The doctor said my father may have had a stroke, and asked if I just want him to get the transfusion he needs tomorrow or also be tested to see if he had a stroke. I took the call from my father's doctor on my cell phone pulled over on the shoulder on the side of the thruway delivering food to a friend's son. The doctor is asking me, without my brother there, how aggressively I want to pursue this. How do I know? I said I guess we want to know what caused the seizure. I am glad, later, when my brother says that is what we wanted. I have no idea anymore what we want.

Deb, I am so sorry! You are a strong woman who has dealt with a lot. I hope things go better soon!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

GAH, its a lot. I'm glad you're keeping your own appointment. Put on your own oxygen mask first, right???

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb I am sorry you are having these troubles and hope your father and daughter are better soon. Keep strong and you are on my daily list. :pray:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF said:

Dear Deb, sending you lots of good thoughts hugs and healing vibes for all members of your family and please make sure you take care of yourself during this challenging time. XOXO.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so sorry Deb. Sending you a lot of *dust*

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Oh Deb, I'm sorry for all of the difficulties, they seem to be piling on. Sending you hugs and strength to keep up with everything!

I don't usually post much in this thread, but I'm feeling so sad and just wanted to say something. Didn't want to start a whole thread about it, though.

My grandma passed away in the early hours (technically today). We knew it was coming, she was just "moved" into (I guess placed is a better term?) home hospice care, less than a week ago. So it was not a surprise, but still the level of sadness I feel surprises me. We just lost my grandpa (unexpectedly) a few weeks ago, so I'm sure the compounding of both losses is what's probably making it worse.

Anyway... life just feels harder than usual lately.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1489686295|4140951 said:
Oh Deb, I'm sorry for all of the difficulties, they seem to be piling on. Sending you hugs and strength to keep up with everything!

I don't usually post much in this thread, but I'm feeling so sad and just wanted to say something. Didn't want to start a whole thread about it, though.

My grandma passed away in the early hours (technically today). We knew it was coming, she was just "moved" into (I guess placed is a better term?) home hospice care, less than a week ago. So it was not a surprise, but still the level of sadness I feel surprises me. We just lost my grandpa (unexpectedly) a few weeks ago, so I'm sure the compounding of both losses is what's probably making it worse.

Aw honey, I am so sorry about your grandmother and grandfather. My deepest condolences. Keeping you in my thoughts and sending big but gentle hugs. (((Hugs))).

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry for your loss katharath.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
missy|1489688134|4140966 said:

Aw honey, I am so sorry about your grandmother and grandfather. My deepest condolences. Keeping you in my thoughts and sending big but gentle hugs. (((Hugs))).

Thank you, missy. I know it is just "life" - it was just their time, and each of them lived long and, I think, happy lives. My grandma, especially, was very ready to go. But it is still a sad time. I appreciate your kind post.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1489691433|4140979 said:
I am sorry for your loss katharath.

Thank you, red, for the kind words.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am very sorry, katharath. One's grandparents can be the light of one's life. I know that our grandmother was for my brother, my first cousins, and me. Although we had already "lost" her to Alzheimer's years before, when she actually died, all of us stood around her grave, adults, weeping. And the three men were all over six feet tall. She was such a sweet woman (to us). Although our mothers told a far different tale!!! I wish you healing and I wish you you many healing memories of both your grandparents.

Hugs,
(((katharath)))
Deb

katharath

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1489707709|4141059 said:

I am very sorry, katharath. One's grandparents can be the light of one's life. I know that our grandmother was for my brother, my first cousins, and me. Although we had already "lost" her to Alzheimer's years before, when she actually died, all of us stood around her grave, adults, weeping. And the three men were all over six feet tall. She was such a sweet woman (to us). Although our mothers told a far different tale!!! I wish you healing and I wish you you many healing memories of both your grandparents.

Hugs,
(((katharath)))
Deb

Thank you so much, Deb. Your relationship with your grandmother sounds a bit like my DH's with his - he is very close to her, in fact far closer to her than to his mother (whom he doesn't speak to anymore - long story for another time...).

It is a special relationship, and I'm grateful that I had them in my life. I have many happy memories of all of my grandparents, I was very lucky with that.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1488948191|4137932 said:
A string of good days in a row! Yesterday DH was delighted to get a raise and a bonus! Tonight, we accompanied our neighbor to an interesting dining experience where we tried new meats. It was so much fun! I adore my neighbor and he thinks I'm wildly funny lolol! He has a serious doctor's visit coming up where he will have to pick his course of treatment for his cancer so we try to be there for him as much as possible.

Today the Costco blinds vendor came to provide an estimate for mg kitchen windows. I'm so excited! I'm getting double cell cellular blinds, cordless, up down for the 3 sets of windows that make up a sort of framed picture window. I'm going with a taupe that runs grey or beige depending on the lighting. It's rather neutral. The sales guy was cracking me up because he's like dang it's cold by the windows! Do you eat at the table by the window? Nope - we eat in the living room one floor up Bahahaha! (Actually I eat in the bedroom...). He likened the cold by the window to one of those Russian bars with ice where everyone's in furs Bahahahaha!

Then mom came over to see MAH NEW BABY Belle, short for Bellerina (credit to Aunty Missy :love: for the beautiful longer name). She expressed an interest in borrowing a bag and reminded me of her search for a new wallet on the compact and flatter side for her upcoming trip in April, so I gave her her second LV bag that I had had for several years and never used (Salina PM tote, but had treated the handles with Lovin' my bags) and a wallet I got last year from LV and have yet to use. Mom was like - wow I should have had more kids then I'd be getting more LVs Bahahaha... I tried to give her my never used damier ebene duffel 25 because I feel too old for the size and she had the same reaction too but said I should use it bc the shape would be cute carried by me. Lololol... it's funny bc I only wear sweats and my landsend fleece on my day to day and the inner pockets hold my wallet and keys and my putter pocket is wear I shove my cell phone in.

Saturday Bellerina came home to us...
Sunday went to a chocolate show and came home with everything but chocolate. I ate a spinach, artichoke and blue cheese pocket pie and drank lemonade on site and took home, salt and vinegar popcorn, Chicago cheddar popcorn, white pear balsamic vinegar, chocolate Reece's cake in a jar, coconut rum cake, spinach artichoke cheese spread, garlic and herb cheese spread, and maple cheddar cheese spread. Yay! :lickout:

Pinto,

Wonderful news! I hope the good days are continuing, with some blooming into great days! Congratulations to your DH and also on getting Belle! Have you posted photos of her yet? We need to ooh and ahh over her. :))

Keeping your neighbour in my thoughts and prayers. I have no doubt that he's thankful to have you and your DH nearby for support and laughs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results