carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1489632962|4140742 said:
My father had a seizure this morning (Wednesday). On Monday my daughter was released from a psychiatric hospital. Tomorrow I drive to Virginia for a doctor's appointment. I would have cancelled it if my father's situation was dire, but he appears stable. My brother is coming down to run the menagerie here, including taking my daughter to her psychiatrist tomorrow. (She needs to see him post-hospital to get her new medications refilled.) The doctor said my father may have had a stroke, and asked if I just want him to get the transfusion he needs tomorrow or also be tested to see if he had a stroke. I took the call from my father's doctor on my cell phone pulled over on the shoulder on the side of the thruway delivering food to a friend's son. The doctor is asking me, without my brother there, how aggressively I want to pursue this. How do I know? I said I guess we want to know what caused the seizure. I am glad, later, when my brother says that is what we wanted. I have no idea anymore what we want.

Deb,

My heart goes out to you. You are, and have been, dealing with so much. Its physically and emotionally draining when a loved one isn't well, let alone more than one loved one. Been there myself.

As Azstonie said, "Put on your own oxygen mask first, right???". Its not easy to follow these words of wisdom when life is coming at us from all directions, but try to look after yourself as much as possible.

Keeping you and your loved ones in my thoughts and prayers.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1489632962|4140742 said:
My father had a seizure this morning (Wednesday). On Monday my daughter was released from a psychiatric hospital. Tomorrow I drive to Virginia for a doctor's appointment. I would have cancelled it if my father's situation was dire, but he appears stable. My brother is coming down to run the menagerie here, including taking my daughter to her psychiatrist tomorrow. (She needs to see him post-hospital to get her new medications refilled.) The doctor said my father may have had a stroke, and asked if I just want him to get the transfusion he needs tomorrow or also be tested to see if he had a stroke. I took the call from my father's doctor on my cell phone pulled over on the shoulder on the side of the thruway delivering food to a friend's son. The doctor is asking me, without my brother there, how aggressively I want to pursue this. How do I know? I said I guess we want to know what caused the seizure. I am glad, later, when my brother says that is what we wanted. I have no idea anymore what we want.

Deb,

My heart goes out to you. You are, and have been, dealing with so much. Its physically and emotionally draining when a loved one isn't well, let alone more than one loved one. Been there myself.

As Azstonie said, "Put on your own oxygen mask first, right???". Its not easy to follow these words of wisdom when life is coming at us from all directions, but try to look after yourself as much as possible.

Keeping you and your loved ones in my thoughts and prayers.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1489686295|4140951 said:
Oh Deb, I'm sorry for all of the difficulties, they seem to be piling on. Sending you hugs and strength to keep up with everything!

I don't usually post much in this thread, but I'm feeling so sad and just wanted to say something. Didn't want to start a whole thread about it, though.

My grandma passed away in the early hours (technically today). We knew it was coming, she was just "moved" into (I guess placed is a better term?) home hospice care, less than a week ago. So it was not a surprise, but still the level of sadness I feel surprises me. We just lost my grandpa (unexpectedly) a few weeks ago, so I'm sure the compounding of both losses is what's probably making it worse.

Anyway... life just feels harder than usual lately.

katharath,

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear grandma and grandpa. Knowing that a person doesn't have much time left, doesn't make their passing any easier. Losing loved ones within a short time of each other is very difficult.

Sending you and your family comforting thoughts and hugs.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, I am continually amazed by your ability to handle the heavy load life seems to throw at you with such grace and heart. I'm thinking of you! I hope your father remains stable and testing shows no stroke and offers some insight. And I hope *you* are doing okay.

katharath, I'm so sorry for the loss of both your grandpa and grandma, and so close to one another. That is a lot of grief to process at once. Hugs!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, you've had a tough row to hoe and you continually do with grace and a sense of humor. Stay strong my friend. You're amazing.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I hinted at some exciting news before.

DH just got his written offer to go permanent with the team he has been contracting with for the last 9 months! (This is the same mega company he was at for almost 10 years before being laid off from).
HR tried to talk the team out of it. Showed them the bad reviews his previous manager gave him. They thought the reviews were outrageous and a combination of lies (they were... including not working enough hours when he was doing 70+/week) and stupid (such as spending too much time helping other members on the team as they had questions).
The HR person even claimed he had been fired! What!?!? No, he (along with 30,000+ other people) were laid off...

This is a lot more secure than the contract (they can lay off, but do so less often than ending contracts) and doesn't have a mandatory 6 month break after 18 months of working. It also means sick days, vacation time, benefits, and better pay. (WooHoo to benefits as mine end the end of this month since I cut hours to go to school!)

The entire team likes him. The manager is good. The principal developer is organized, intelligent, considerate, and all that other nice stuff. They are missing a couple of layers of organization right now, so he also got to interview with a level I have seldom heard before. Very rare. Very cool. Reserved for someone recognized as a world expert in an area. The guy really liked DH and said he'd have to come in to the office more often because he "didn't know there was someone like you" around to talk with!

I am hoping this reduces the stress around the house.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay TooPatient! So happy for you both! :appl:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's awesome new TP!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient, that's wonderful news! Financial stability tends to have a positive effect on many aspects of life; reducing stress levels, making one feel more calm and at ease.

Congratulations to you and your DH!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My poor brain has been working overtime this morning trying to learn new photo editing software.
Going to give it a 'break' and switch gears.
About to unpack (and try to learn about) my new camera and lens.
If that goes well, I'll try to learn how to work and adjust my new camera strap (which I hope came with a manual) and camera bag.
Its Christmas in March! :dance::dance::dance:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's terrific news TooPatient!!! So happy for you!!!

Whoa december-fire...sounds like you're going to be busy for awhile! Looking forward to more
of your beautiful nature photos!!!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's terrific news TooPatient!!! So happy for you!!!

Whoa december-fire...sounds like you're going to be busy for awhile! Looking forward to more
of your beautiful nature photos!!!

Thanks, tyty!
I think I shattered my hangup about treating myself. In the past, I've had no problem treating others, but hesitated to spoil myself.
From now on, its all about me! :evil: :lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eek pop culture faux pas!

I just got home from my awful annual HOA meeting. When I stepped out of my car and into the rain, I yelled "Gattica! Gattica!"

My DH turns and stares at my quizzically. "What was that?"

"Gattica, you know, what they yelled in the movie after the riot!"

"Ummm you mean Attica? The prison?"
:whistle::oops::confused::kiss::geek:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to get serious about my vitamin D deficiency.

I just had a blood test done - came back 14ng (normal is 30-100). I looked back at a blood test from 2013 and it was 21ng then. So it has gotten worse.

This is due mostly to me wearing sunscreens all the time.

I have the D3 drops so there is absolutely no excuse. I just put a drop in my tea now.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always do good.

I was in a position to help someone last night. Very glad I did. It isn't a convenient time (DH has pneumonia) but help is needed now not later. I am so glad I did. This woman has run into situations in life where everyone let her down. She cried that someone who is almost a complete stranger would step in and help

You never know how big of a difference in emotions just a bit of help can make.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on the good news your husband received, TooPatient. I just read about it. There are few things worse than shaky employment and unemployment for a man (and I say this as a feminist). I am happy you were able to help someone last night.

Hugs.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on the good news your husband received, TooPatient. I just read about it. There are few things worse than shaky employment and unemployment for a man (and I say this as a feminist). I am happy you were able to help someone last night.

Hugs.

Thanks Deb!
Yes, he feels a lot better with this happening. (Well, once he recovers from the pneumonia!)

The person I helped is still staying here with us. She needs to get home but needs to recover enough to drive 2300 miles safely...

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope your husband is feeling better TP.

Kindness always has the potential to be of great help to someone. None of us get thru life without having some bad times in our life. Sometimes a strangers kindness can make all difference is someone's life. I'm glad you were able to help this woman.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to see people come together and make the impossible happen. We have a chain of volunteers across WA, OR, UT, WY, CO, AZ, TX, LA, ID coordinating. My new friend woke up to find a home welcoming her to stay overnight every 4 hours drive from here to home. Plus enough money sent to cover her gas home. She has another surprise coming today as another offered a new battery for her car.

She left here yesterday and made it safely to her next stop. After many hugs and tears at how many complete strangers cared about her.

(BTW, the animal rescue community is awesome!)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to see people come together and make the impossible happen. We have a chain of volunteers across WA, OR, UT, WY, CO, AZ, TX, LA, ID coordinating. My new friend woke up to find a home welcoming her to stay overnight every 4 hours drive from here to home. Plus enough money sent to cover her gas home. She has another surprise coming today as another offered a new battery for her car.

She left here yesterday and made it safely to her next stop. After many hugs and tears at how many complete strangers cared about her.

Woohoo!!!! That is great news Too Patient!:appl: Thank you for sharing this with us and I hope your dh feels all better very soon.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for the update, TooPatient. It is really heartening to have good news about people and their kindness towards others. And I tend to feel that people who are kind to animals are the best people in the world. I think (although I may be mistaken, this is not based on science) that they have a deeper empathy in general.

Big hugs,
Deb

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TP great news about your DH. And you are a wonderful person to help someone in need. I love hearing stories about others pitching in to help.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You and your helper friends are awesome TP!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This afternoon, a tense Canadian Search and Rescue mission, lead by december-fire, successfully rescued the fourth bay leaf from the lasagna sauce. Three bay leaves had been retrieved from the sauce within a few minutes, but the fourth bay leaf remained hidden in the depths of the sauce despite repeated attempts to locate it.

The sauce, noodles and cheese have all been reunited and are currently in a warm embrace in the oven, in preparation for the upcoming 'Ladies Weekend at the Cottage.

The anxiety caused by the missing bay leaf was heightened due to the sauce preparation being delayed until this morning. Last night, when december-fire should have been preparing the sauce, she was otherwise occupied.

TRANSLATION: she took a 'quick' look at PS and came upon the infamous 'April the Giraffe and her Never-ending Pregnancy' web cam.

Yeah, thanks ruby59. :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This afternoon, a tense Canadian Search and Rescue mission, lead by december-fire, successfully rescued the fourth bay leaf from the lasagna sauce. Three bay leaves had been retrieved from the sauce within a few minutes, but the fourth bay leaf remained hidden in the depths of the sauce despite repeated attempts to locate it.

The sauce, noodles and cheese have all been reunited and are currently in a warm embrace in the oven, in preparation for the upcoming 'Ladies Weekend at the Cottage.

The anxiety caused by the missing bay leaf was heightened due to the sauce preparation being delayed until this morning. Last night, when december-fire should have been preparing the sauce, she was otherwise occupied.

TRANSLATION: she took a 'quick' look at PS and came upon the infamous 'April the Giraffe and her Never-ending Pregnancy' web cam.

Yeah, thanks ruby59. :lol:

Love this story. Wish I could eat lasagna. I know ruby wishes she could, too. This thread is going to become like the thread with ruby's spaghetti and meatballs in it. I'll just come here and wish I could eat things I cannot eat. Usually I don't think about food. I mean nowadays. <darn it! where is the winking icon?>

Deb :wavey:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey:
I'm :Dright now. I got my first check for freelance work. A couple of weeks ago a former colleague contacted me for some help. I did the work, told him the hours I worked and he replied that he would tack on an extra $5/hour on top of the rate I quoted him. I got the check today! :$$): Feels good that he remembered me even though we haven't worked together in 4 years. :geek:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WooHoo, Pinto!

That's wonderful! I have no doubt that you are a professional individual who pays attention to detail and does quality work. Your great sense of humour doesn't fool me into thinking you don't take your work seriously. Obviously, you made a positive impression on your colleague (and many others, no doubt), that you produce great results and are a person with whom they like to work.

Pat yourself on the back and be proud of yourself! Well-deserved! :appl:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The closing lines in a NYT article about meatloaf:

What if I'm on a diet?

Don't eat meatloaf. Have a salad. Godspeed to you.

HA!!! I have no idea why this is to funny to me, but it IS!

(And puhleeeeeeze do not ask me why I -- She Who Does Not Cook AT ALL -- read an entire article about meatloaf, but I did!)

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results