shape
carat
color
clarity

Humor Me - 32 or 34 inch DBTY??

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ladies, I think I will.

I just spoke to Yekutiel and he said he would feel better if someone else laid eyes on it before it shipped as well.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
hawaiianorangetree|1361412346|3385938 said:

I just spoke to Yekutiel and he said he would feel better if someone else laid eyes on it before it shipped as well.

HOT, I posted in your thread, but I do disagree that it's a good idea to rely on someone else eyeballing it.

What happens if a PSer goes in and says "yeah, it looks eyeclean to me" and then it's still not eyeclean to YOUR eyes? Will you feel any better that someone else thought it was? I don't think you will. Is this piece supposed to be fulfilled to someone else's expectations or to yours? Because if the answer is "to your expectations" (and I think that should be the answer), then no one else's opinion matters and could actually work against you in the long run if you aren't happy.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I say what has HOT got to lose by asking someone to check it out for her. It costs a small fortune to have stuff sent from the US to AUS not to mention import fees etc. So my having a couple of PSers check it out it would have a higher chance of being right and what HOT wants. It might not work but theres nothing to lose.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
She has more to lose than you think....namely having it done right if it arrives to her and she's still not happy with it.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Chel- she has nothing to lose by having a PS-er with discerning eyes take a look- its better than nothing. I know Bliss has done this before for another PS-er, as she is at IDJ quite often. There is also Circe and Cellentani.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Hmm... I think I can see both points of view. "The more eyes the better" which actually helped me out immensely when I first received the necklace as chel and ginger both looked at it for me and confirmed that it wasn't eyeclean and it wasn't just me being too picky. If I hadn't had that confirmation from those ladies I probably wouldn't have pursued the issue any further and just lived with it.

But I can also see how I could run into trouble if someone takes a look and it turns up and I am still not happy with it, then what? Does that negate any recourse I may have had if no one had looked at it in the first place?

Yekutiel has replaced the five stones that I was unhappy with and is going to replace one more that I didn't mark.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1361424218|3386148 said:
hawaiianorangetree|1361412346|3385938 said:

HOT, I posted in your thread, but I do disagree that it's a good idea to rely on someone else eyeballing it.

What happens if a PSer goes in and says "yeah, it looks eyeclean to me" and then it's still not eyeclean to YOUR eyes? Will you feel any better that someone else thought it was? I don't think you will. Is this piece supposed to be fulfilled to someone else's expectations or to yours? Because if the answer is "to your expectations" (and I think that should be the answer), then no one else's opinion matters and could actually work against you in the long run if you aren't happy.

I would perhaps agree in theory, but given the realities of living on the other side of the globe, dealing with international shipping and the costs, time, and fewer opportunities for fixing issues that go hand in hand with that... I think it's a fair stopgap suggestion. If a PSer goes in and says "it's clean to me" and HOT doesn't feel that it is, she hasn't lost anything she wouldn't already have lost by having it shipped out without inspection. If a PSer goes in and throws the big bogey flag the issue can be discussed and addressed right away.

Of course noone will share HOT's tastes and specifications exactly, and I don't think she's expecting that. It sounds to me that she just wants another pair of (independent, more objective) eyes before shipping it out... HOT, what do you think about sending it to an appraiser? That way you can be sure that the eyes are both independent and objective!! The downside of having a NY PSer go in to look is if that PSer has had good or not so good experiences with IDJ, they might not be able to separate out those expectations when eyeballing your dbty, if you know what I mean? Given the hassle of living outside the country and the fact that there's already been an issue w/ this piece the extra expense of the appraisal might be worth it, depending on how you feel.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it can't hurt for someone else to look at it, but the more I think about it, if you cannot trust the jeweler to judge that the stones are eyeclean 100%, then it is time to get a new jeweler. This shouldn't have been an issue the first time, and it absolutely shouldn't be an issue this time.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
hawaiianorangetree|1361454013|3386334 said:
Hmm... I think I can see both points of view. "The more eyes the better" which actually helped me out immensely when I first received the necklace as chel and ginger both looked at it for me and confirmed that it wasn't eyeclean and it wasn't just me being too picky. If I hadn't had that confirmation from those ladies I probably wouldn't have pursued the issue any further and just lived with it.

But I can also see how I could run into trouble if someone takes a look and it turns up and I am still not happy with it, then what? Does that negate any recourse I may have had if no one had looked at it in the first place?

Yekutiel has replaced the five stones that I was unhappy with and is going to replace one more that I didn't mark.

You are on the right track.

Again, I'm not concerned with whether or not others agree with my viewpoint on it; if they all think it can't hurt, they are most welcome to continue thinking so, but I fully maintain that it may have the opposite effect of what you think....and there is basis for my thinking so.

HOT, at the end of the day, you need to do whatever you think is best for you. Best of luck to you - I hope it turns out as you hope.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1361456009|3386355 said:
I think it can't hurt for someone else to look at it, but the more I think about it, if you cannot trust the jeweler to judge that the stones are eyeclean 100%, then it is time to get a new jeweler. This shouldn't have been an issue the first time, and it absolutely shouldn't be an issue this time.

I completely agree.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I did think about sending it to an appraiser but when DS suggested a PSer might be able to help out it made sense to me. I know it's not going to be 100% full proof but I am ok with that. You do bring up an interesting point about past experiences with ID influencing a persons opinion, but as long as they are not looking through rose coloured glasses when checking out the DBTY it should be ok. :D Circ has kindly offered to take a look and she strikes me as a fairly pragmatic person so I don't think I have to worry there. I'll have to get it appraised once it is returned to AU for insurance purposes and I've already paid for one that was a bit of a waste of time so I think I'd rather not pay for another one if I can get a trusted PSer to take a look for me. :))

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1361457002|3386367 said:

I completely agree.

I did say it wasn't necessary and that if he felt he had replaced the stones accordingly that was good enough for me, but he said he would feel better if someone else could take a look at it. It does feel like he isn't trusting his own judgement, but maybe he just wants to give me every opportunity to make sure it is right before it is shipped?

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
aljdewey|1361456478|3386360 said:
hawaiianorangetree|1361454013|3386334 said:

You are on the right track.

Again, I'm not concerned with whether or not others agree with my viewpoint on it; if they all think it can't hurt, they are most welcome to continue thinking so, but I fully maintain that it may have the opposite effect of what you think....and there is basis for my thinking so.

HOT, at the end of the day, you need to do whatever you think is best for you. Best of luck to you - I hope it turns out as you hope.

Well now you have me thinking... I'll check with him that I will still have the final say on the piece regardless. I would love to hear what your basis is for thinking this way, but I understand if you can't share.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If Circe has offered to take a look, I would take her up on her offer! I think she will be neutral and helpful.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hawaiianorangetree|1361457099|3386369 said:
I did think about sending it to an appraiser but when DS suggested a PSer might be able to help out it made sense to me. I know it's not going to be 100% full proof but I am ok with that. You do bring up an interesting point about past experiences with ID influencing a persons opinion, but as long as they are not looking through rose coloured glasses when checking out the DBTY it should be ok. :D Circ has kindly offered to take a look and she strikes me as a fairly pragmatic person so I don't think I have to worry there. I'll have to get it appraised once it is returned to AU for insurance purposes and I've already paid for one that was a bit of a waste of time so I think I'd rather not pay for another one if I can get a trusted PSer to take a look for me. :))

I am not sure who DS is, but I don't think it was me that suggested it. I just named a couple of people who live in NY!

BUT, I will say that after thinking about what Alj has said, you need to tell Yekutiel that HE needs to be sure it is eyeclean and then send it to you. I am afraid that getting someone else to say that it is eyeclean to them may backfire and they may make it hard to return it. I think that is what Alj is trying to tell you and I would listen to the voice of experience.

I hate to say this, but I don't think they do the best job on their bezels, either. I know they are little in reality, but I think they could look better.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to let you know that I've been following along and I really hope this necklace will be the stunner you deserve! The pictures in the other thread look good to me so hopefully it'll be a beauty. Dust!

bluemoon2

Shiny_Rock
Oh my, I did not read in this thread until tonight. I feel sorry for what you have experienced. Hope it's fixed to meet "PS eye clean" standard at no cost to you. I did not expect it would happen.

I just visited IDJ first time on Monday, 2/18 since it's a holiday so we got a day off from work. IDJ only opens business during weekdays which makes harder for working people to visit unless working nearby diamond district area. When I was there I was checking out various pieces inclduing dbty for the metal work which seems to ok to the naked eye. But I did use my loope to check it too. It's hand made, so I could see some non-perfect under loope. IRL, it's fine.

I purchased 13x15pt COL pendant and 10x20pt huggies from IDJ before, and I do not see inclusion from table with naked eye. With loope I could see it and 1-3 melees might have bigger inclusion than others -- I guess it's SI2 vs SI1. Overall I am happy with quality for the price I paid for. I really hope IDJ's "the PS quality standard" does not change.

Yekutiel

Shiny_Rock
Hello Everyone
I really don’t like to post but I feel in this case it will benefit everyone. The necklace is 100% eyeclean. I can assure you that the grade is a true SI clarity as promised. Especially now that I switched out the diamonds that were marked by “ HOT” and I went out of my way to switch another diamond that wasn’t marked to be changed just to make sure that everything would be perfect. The definition of Eye clean is “at first glance” Diamonds are graded face up and NOT from the pavilion and let’s not forget the larger the diamond is the easier it is to notice and spot inclusion. I am in no way trying to blame anyone or point fingers or cover up any actions on my part or any of my staff. In any event, IDJ is a company that goes the extra mile and try to make things right all the time. Nobody is perfect, it’s how you deal with it that makes one perfect. Our goal is not just to make customers happy but to satisfy them. If there are any concerns pricecopers are always welcome to discuss things with me.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
justginger|1361457002|3386367 said:

I completely agree.

+2
I also agree.

Don't forget the price you paid for this necklace with large 20-pt diamonds is very good, especially now that the diamonds are all made sure to be "eye-clean" (faced-up only) by the jeweler personally. If this degree of eye-cleanliness is still not acceptable to you, then you may want to switch jeweler to pay a lot more for VS clarity grade diamonds.

If I had not already had my necklace paid for and made, I would have snatched your necklace for myself. :Up_to_something: :devil:

If you decide to have your necklace shipped to you, hope you would value its quality and price enough to enjoy wearing it forever.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FancyDiamond|1361512011|3387395 said:
Don't forget the price you paid for this necklace with large 20-pt diamonds is very good, especially now that the diamonds are all made sure to be "eye-clean" (faced-up only) by the jeweler personally. If this degree of eye-cleanliness is still not acceptable to you, then you may want to switch jeweler to pay a lot more for VS clarity grade diamonds.

If I had not already had my necklace paid for and made, I would have snatched your necklace for myself. :Up_to_something: :devil:

If you decide to have your necklace shipped to you, hope you would value its quality and price enough to enjoy wearing it forever.
I'm sorry but you don't know what she paid so you cannot judge if a good price or not. Not to mention the additional customs, insurance and shipping fees that will have to be paid for the second time as it was sent back. That all comes to considerable $$$'s more than HOT budgeted for.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
chel180|1361547730|3387598 said:
FancyDiamond|1361512011|3387395 said:

I'm sorry but you don't know what she paid so you cannot judge if a good price or not. Not to mention the additional customs, insurance and shipping fees that will have to be paid for the second time as it was sent back. That all comes to considerable $$$'s more than HOT budgeted for.

I completely agree. This necklace was definitely not rock bottom cheap. It was a fair price for ideal cut, eye clean diamonds. That is not what she received. So therefore the necklace, up until the point it was 'repaired', was actually overpriced. What she got was ideal cut, visibly included stones. Chel and I know, because we saw the necklace ourselves. Having seen the amazing stone Bliss recently got from IDJ, as a prongable SI2 stone in an enormous size, it was disappointing to see visibly included 20 pointers in a necklace partially funded by Pricescope (and I do say PARTIALLY because HOT plonked down a very large percentage of her own money on this purchase).

Between the cost of the necklace, international shipping, currency conversion fees, currency exchange rate differences, and 10% GST slapped on top of the whole purchase, this was not a cheap endeavor.

Yekutiel, thank you for commenting on this matter. I understand that sometimes mistakes made, and businesses must recover from them. But, as you said, it is all about how problems are handled. That is exactly what has disappointed me about this situation. HOT has had emails ignored, has been told conflicting definitions of SI clarity and eyecleanliness, and has run a significant risk of being double charged 10% GST because her clear requests regarding clarity went ignored. It just doesn't bode well for international buyers, as you must understand. It's a shame, as IDJ has produced beautiful rabbits from tight budgeted hats in the past, but the threat of double GST charges, or no GST refunds in the case of a return - well, it makes for a very uneasy international purchase.

How would a PSer avoid this issue in the future? Having spent time speaking with HOT about this situation, I don't understand how she could have been any more clear in expressing her expectations of clarity. Do you recommend speaking with yourself personally, to ensure the item in question is checked thoroughly? Do you have time to personally handle all PS enquiries and purchases?

Yekutiel

Shiny_Rock
Do you recommend speaking with yourself personally, to ensure the item in question is checked thoroughly?

It is always best to talk to me.

Do you have time to personally handle all PS enquiries and purchases?

The answer is Yes.. I will Always make time. it is always better to metion that I would inspect the item before it ships out.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Yekutiel|1361507431|3387365 said:
Hello Everyone
I really don’t like to post but I feel in this case it will benefit everyone. The necklace is 100% eyeclean. I can assure you that the grade is a true SI clarity as promised. Especially now that I switched out the diamonds that were marked by “ HOT” and I went out of my way to switch another diamond that wasn’t marked to be changed just to make sure that everything would be perfect. The definition of Eye clean is “at first glance” Diamonds are graded face up and NOT from the pavilion and let’s not forget the larger the diamond is the easier it is to notice and spot inclusion. I am in no way trying to blame anyone or point fingers or cover up any actions on my part or any of my staff. In any event, IDJ is a company that goes the extra mile and try to make things right all the time. Nobody is perfect, it’s how you deal with it that makes one perfect. Our goal is not just to make customers happy but to satisfy them. If there are any concerns pricecopers are always welcome to discuss things with me.

Thank you so much for responding! I think it is great vendors get on PS when issues arise and are willing to openly post about those issues.

With that said, I see that you would like HOT have someone else view the necklace before you ship it. If the person who views it has a different opinion of what is eyeclean and says the necklace looks good, what happens if HOT does not agree? If this were to happen, I hope that it would not a "final sale" since the other person okay'd it, not the actual customer. This is my only concern with this situation. Are you willing to work with HOT again if she does not find the necklace eyeclean, even if the other person does?

Yekutiel

Shiny_Rock
I completely understand the situation in hand and I will never hold anyone accountable. Only HOT can give the final answer if she will be happy with the necklace. It is her necklace and she ultimately decides. I just recommend that to her to boost her confidence and give her more peace of mind that everything is okay.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
First of all, I would like to apologize to Yekutiel for the direction this thread has taken over the past 48 hours. I do not believe for one minute that his suggestion for someone else to look at the necklace before he ships it HALF WAY AROUND THE WORLD was anything but to give me some extra reassurance.

I find the comments "if you can't trust your jeweler to judge the stones as 100% eyeclean it's time to get a new jeweler" completely insulting to Yekutiel and myself. Where did I say I didn't trust his opinion or judgement? If I didn't trust him, I certainly wouldn't have returned the necklace for a repair and given him the opportunity to fix it. This was my decision to allow him to rectify the problem and I wish people would respect that.

I don't have an issue with the bezels on this necklace either. The ONLY issue that I have ever had with this DBTY was the clarity of some of the stones. Yeah they look a little wonky and bulky in the macro shots, but they're MACRO PHOTOS! I'm sure Luann's fingerprints don't look like that IRL either! IRL those handmade bezels are delicate and tiny and I have said in this thread previously that I was happy with them.

I know what the definition of eyeclean is. As you will soon find out FD, large stones on a long chain sit face down 90% of the time and with the pavilions exposed in the bezel settings any inclusion anywhere in the diamond is clearly visible. To Yekutiel's credit, he swapped out of the diamonds that I was unhappy with because of the inclusions visible through the pavilion. He could have argued the definition of eye clean with me and refused to swap those ones out, BUT HE DIDN'T.

And thank you Chel and Ginger for the support regarding price and quality. I'll just +1 what they said.

orbaya, thank you for asking the question that I had not yet asked Yekutiel myself. You saved me an email. ;)) and now that Yekutiel has responded publicly that I will still have final say regardless of who has viewed it first, I hope we can put that issue to rest. I honestly do believe he only had good intentions when he suggested this and meant no ill will whatsoever.

And I'll apologize if this post seems to come off with a lot of snark. I tried to delete most of it. :cheeky: But it's early on Saturday morning, everyone in my house is asleep but I'm up to go to work and I'm not feeling too happy about it.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Yekutiel|1361555031|3387699 said:
Do you recommend speaking with yourself personally, to ensure the item in question is checked thoroughly?

It is always best to talk to me.

Do you have time to personally handle all PS enquiries and purchases?

The answer is Yes.. I will Always make time. it is always better to metion that I would inspect the item before it ships out.

Based on your personal reassurances and attention, I would then still have IDJ on my "go to" list. Thank you for your response to this thread. :))

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Yekutiel|1361507431|3387365 said:
Hello Everyone

Y, I do take a bit of exception to the bolded. There is no standardized industry definition of 'eyeclean'; there is no "definitive" definition, and as a longterm PS vendor, it's hard to imagine you wouldn't be sensitive to how exacting PSers might be on this.

If she did stress how important the eyeclean thing was to her in this and you knew it was a sticking point to her, I'd probably have chosen that moment to make sure you were both in agreement on what eyeclean meant. It would seem now that your definition (looks clean to me at first glance) doesn't jive with HOT's (which I read to be not wanting to see visible inclusions to the naked eye - no loupe).

I'm sure that you'll do what it takes to make it right, but I think this is a great opportunity to learn how to strengthen communication on the front end to increase satisfaction.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
hawaiianorangetree|1361576426|3388104 said:
First of all, I would like to apologize to Yekutiel for the direction this thread has taken over the past 48 hours. I do not believe for one minute that his suggestion for someone else to look at the necklace before he ships it HALF WAY AROUND THE WORLD was anything but to give me some extra reassurance.

I find the comments "if you can't trust your jeweler to judge the stones as 100% eyeclean it's time to get a new jeweler" completely insulting to Yekutiel and myself. Where did I say I didn't trust his opinion or judgement? If I didn't trust him, I certainly wouldn't have returned the necklace for a repair and given him the opportunity to fix it. This was my decision to allow him to rectify the problem and I wish people would respect that.

I don't have an issue with the bezels on this necklace either. The ONLY issue that I have ever had with this DBTY was the clarity of some of the stones. Yeah they look a little wonky and bulky in the macro shots, but they're MACRO PHOTOS! I'm sure Luann's fingerprints don't look like that IRL either! IRL those handmade bezels are delicate and tiny and I have said in this thread previously that I was happy with them.

I know what the definition of eyeclean is. As you will soon find out FD, large stones on a long chain sit face down 90% of the time and with the pavilions exposed in the bezel settings any inclusion anywhere in the diamond is clearly visible. To Yekutiel's credit, he swapped out of the diamonds that I was unhappy with because of the inclusions visible through the pavilion. He could have argued the definition of eye clean with me and refused to swap those ones out, BUT HE DIDN'T.

And thank you Chel and Ginger for the support regarding price and quality. I'll just +1 what they said.

orbaya, thank you for asking the question that I had not yet asked Yekutiel myself. You saved me an email. ;)) and now that Yekutiel has responded publicly that I will still have final say regardless of who has viewed it first, I hope we can put that issue to rest. I honestly do believe he only had good intentions when he suggested this and meant no ill will whatsoever.

And I'll apologize if this post seems to come off with a lot of snark. I tried to delete most of it. :cheeky: But it's early on Saturday morning, everyone in my house is asleep but I'm up to go to work and I'm not feeling too happy about it.

The dreaded early Saturday start. I understand.

I am very pleased that you gave Yekutiel a chance to fix this necklace. As you already know, I think the bezels were amazing IRL, so delicate. In fact, the workmanship on the whole necklace was remarkably good.

Personally, I am very pleased that Yekutiel responded on here, to the entire PS community. His willingness to take care of the marked diamonds AND another that the three of us saw no issues with, is good business - especially when it came to inclusions visible through the pavilion. Having considered how these diamonds flip, and the issue of "eye clean" and where from, I can understand why stones that were clean from top were used. I can now say that, if this necklace arrives eye clean, buying from IDJ would still be a very real possibility for me, given direct contact with Yekutiel.

bluemoon2

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to Yekutiel for reassuring the PS eye-clean quality.

Glad that Yekutiel has taken care it based on what HOT wanted. Hope it will be a happy ending.

hawaiianorangetree|1357910592|3352926 said:
No that is perfect Missy, thank you. I thought that maybe I was being too picky and expecting too much but now that I've heard you can't see anything in your stones I'm thinking I'm not being picky at all. 5 out of 11 stones have visible inclusions face up and on the pavilion that can be seen from about 8 inches away and I am just not happy at all. The necklace itself is beautiful and well made, the stones are white and sparkly but the clarity... Urgh!

HOT, based on your statement above, I did have a concern about the PS eye clean quality that IDJ promised. I might read the eye clean definition from WF site before. So my impression or assumption is viewing from "face up".

hawaiianorangetree said:

But I glad you clarified it later. It helps both IDJ and PSers.

I think FD only tried to help and remind to access the agreement between yours and IDJ's eye clean definition before it's shipped, to save more trouble down the road, especially in your case international shipping. Based your posts earlier, I (maybe most readers) could see the differentce between two parties on the eye-clean.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
The WF definition of eyeclean means nothing to me because I am not dealing with WF. Everyone knows that eye clean is subjective and everyone has differing opinions on what it is. ID's definition is stated in an article on PS here..

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/what_eye_clean_diamond

I’ll give you the same definition I acquired during my time studying at the Gemological Institute of America. When we were taught how to grade diamonds for clarity, the words that were repeated over and over again were to “grade clarity based on first glance”.

First and foremost is your light source. It should be daylight or its equivalent such as a florescent light. Also, don’t forget that your decision should not be made after hours of inspecting the stone…it must be at first glance. That is not to say that you look at it for a second and say I’ll take it. It is however, to say that you, yourself make a realistic judgment. After that point you can further inspect the diamond, but keep in mind that the clarity grade has already HONESTLY been given by yourself.

Lastly, the distance at which you should look at the diamond should be what is comfortable for your vision in order to get a clear view of what you need to judge. And, a small insider tip: If you really want to see if the diamond is eye clean, put the diamond in your hands and get as much grim on it as you can. This will make inclusions, if any, much more visible. It will also give a good idea of what your diamond will look days after your purchase

I used this definition as a guideline to decide whether or not I felt the stones were eyeclean to me, according to how ID defines eye clean and I can HONESTLY say that they weren't, because I spotted the first inclusion on a diamond, face up and first glance when I wasn't even looking for them. THAT to me, made it not eyeclean to ID's definition.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results