shape
carat
color
clarity

How to safely clean diamonds without ruin them???

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I've always washed Gemstones and Diamonds with hot water only (without soap).
But I dont feel the stones get clean enough.

But is there any better way to clean gemstones and diamonds?
I've noticed that all diamonds that get back from GIA looks flawlessy clean!
Anyone know how and what they use to clean them at GIA?

As I can see;
Some people uses Ammonia, Bleach, Chlorine, regular tapwater and/or toothpaste to clean their gemstones.
But as far as I know both Ammonia and toothpaste (contains abrasives) - both ruins the sparkle.
And regular tapwater contains Chlorine as well (in my country atleast) and when Chlorine reacts with the sun on a diamond - the diamond can get ruined for ever.

I do only got 100% unheated/untreated diamonds and gemstones, so I would like to know how to clean them without affecting their value in any way and at the same time not to ruin the color.

Please post me some ideas and/or personal experience please.

I've heard some rumors about jewelry stores using some kind of "sparkling spray" as well that reacts with the light in the store - so the diamonds look way better in the store than outside or in your regular home. Is this true? If so, which kind of spray?

Thank you!

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you very much!
I will give Mr. Muscle and Dawn a try :)

But........ What about porous gemstones - any ideas?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Coloured stones - DO NOT use steam under any circumstances, be wary with ultrasonics - a few stones are okay as long as they don't have inclusions.

Generally, washing-up liquid and warm water and a soft baby toothbrush are all that is needed. For porous stones and pearls, I just use a soft cloth and a bit of warm water and wipe them over - no chemicals of any kind.

Be careful with stones like peridot - normal household chemicals can strip them of any polish.

You also need to be very sure of what you have in terms of treatments - there are large quantities of lead-glass filled rubies on the market at the moment. They look amazing, but can be damaged by something as simple as lemon-juice. They also melt under a jewellers torch.

I would very much advise that if you want to deal in coloured stones then you get some proper qualifications. I'm afraid from what you have written in your various threads, you stand a good chance of getting badly burnt without some education on treatments, synthetics and general characteristics and care of the different species.

With diamonds, I use windex, a bit of washing-up liquid and hotwater in an ultrasonic to get them super-sparkly.

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you for letting me know, I has a ultrasonic cleaner but I've never tried it. Lucky for me I suppose!

Okay.
We do only got anionic washing-up liquid in my country, containing Sodium Benzoate and 2-Brom-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol. Harmfull for diamonds???

About your advise that I should get some proper qualifications/education, you are totally right!
I do only sell diamonds and gemstones with GIA Reports to be 100% sure.
Had 100% Positive Feedback with over 500 customers, but is closed - and will open again within 30 days, can not list the name here as this is not allowed I suppose.

I buy lots of diamonds and gemstones when I first purchase, the dealers always helps me out with the gems. I just tell them what I want and they find it for me. Never had any bad experience about what the delears told me versus GIA Results. I might've been just lucky every time. But they earn an very good amount of money from me.

When it come to Ruby's, I never purchase Ruby's without some degree of certification - Emil, AIGS, etc.
But no save quite a lot on every purchase, I do never buy gemstones with GIA Reports - I get GIA Reports by myself.

Thank you very much for your cleaning advice, I will try this the next time I has to clean them! :)
Is this also a safe method for cleaning Ruby's? That's my biggest fear - to ruin them.
But all Ruby's are stated as (NTE) at all Reports (AIGS, Emil, etc).

By the way, I'm going to study at GIA from January 2012.
I suppose I'll get a Diploma saying I'm a "Colored Diamond Grader" within 2013 if I can manage to complete the exam.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't think of putting a Ruby or Sapphire in an ultrasonic if it has been filled.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unless a gem has been oiled, just dunk it in rubbing/denatured alcohol and wipe it dry with a gem cloth.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
STOJA001|1318707679|3041089 said:
Thank you for letting me know, I has a ultrasonic cleaner but I've never tried it. Lucky for me I suppose!

Okay.
We do only got anionic washing-up liquid in my country, containing Sodium Benzoate and 2-Brom-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol. Harmfull for diamonds???

About your advise that I should get some proper qualifications/education, you are totally right!
Had 100% Positive Feedback with over 500 customers, but is closed - and will open again within 30 days, can not list the name here as this is not allowed I suppose.

I buy lots of diamonds and gemstones when I first purchase, the dealers always helps me out with the gems. I just tell them what I want and they find it for me. Never had any bad experience about what the delears told me versus GIA Results. I might've been just lucky every time. But they earn an very good amount of money from me.

When it come to Ruby's, I never purchase Ruby's without some degree of certification - Emil, AIGS, etc.
But no save quite a lot on every purchase, I do never buy gemstones with GIA Reports - I get GIA Reports by myself.

Thank you very much for your cleaning advice, I will try this the next time I has to clean them! :)
Is this also a safe method for cleaning Ruby's? That's my biggest fear - to ruin them.

I suppose I'll get a Diploma saying I'm a "Colored Diamond Grader" within 2013 if I can manage to complete the exam.

I think in order to comply with posting rules you need to declare yourself as a Trade member.

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Okay, I will try the alcohol as well! Thank you!

I got 2 Emeralds, I have never cleaned them actually.
It's a 4.55 carat Intense Chrome/Apple Green Emerald and a Bluish Green 15.51 carat Emerald (probably both is oiled).
How does oil affect Emerald value in first place, if it is color-less oil of course?

And how to clean Emeralds?

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LovingDiamonds|1318709652|3041108 said:
STOJA001|1318707679|3041089 said:

Okay.

I think in order to comply with posting rules you need to declare yourself as a Trade member.

I just changed my settings! :)

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Harriet|1318709345|3041106 said:
Unless a gem has been oiled, just dunk it in rubbing/denatured alcohol and wipe it dry with a gem cloth.

It's a 4.55 carat Intense Chrome/Apple Green Emerald and a Bluish Green 15.51 carat Emerald (probably both is oiled).
How does oil affect Emerald value in first place, if it is color-less oil of course?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I clean my engagement ring by dropping it in a glass of hot water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid. I let my ring soak for a bit and then I clean it with a baby toothbrush. I dry it with a lint-free paper towel. Works pretty well!

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Zoe|1318713873|3041146 said:
I clean my engagement ring by dropping it in a glass of hot water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid. I let my ring soak for a bit and then I clean it with a baby toothbrush. I dry it with a lint-free paper towel. Works pretty well!

Thanks for your advice! :)

We do only got anionic washing-up liquid in my country, containing Sodium Benzoate and 2-Brom-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol. Harmfull for diamonds and/or gemstones???

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
STOJA001|1318714007|3041147 said:

We do only got anionic washing-up liquid in my country, containing Sodium Benzoate and 2-Brom-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol. Harmfull for diamonds and/or gemstones???

I'm sorry but I'm not sure. I'd check what ours is but we actually ran out the other day. I'm hoping others can chime in and let you know.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is only good for diamonds. Maybe Corundum and Chrysoberyl but everything else should be kept away from hot water and soaking.

Emeralds should be treated with a great deal of care. Clean gently with a damp baby's toothbrush and either some baby soap or mild washing up liquid. Do not get near hot water. Water should be room temperature. Dry with a lint free cloth.

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Zoe|1318714571|3041152 said:
STOJA001|1318714007|3041147 said:

I'm sorry but I'm not sure. I'd check what ours is but we actually ran out the other day. I'm hoping others can chime in and let you know.

Okay, I see, no problem. Then I just hope someone can answer me :)

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LovingDiamonds|1318714632|3041153 said:

This is only good for diamonds. Maybe Corundum and Chrysoberyl but everything else should be kept away from hot water and soaking.

Emeralds should be treated with a great deal of care. Clean gently with a damp baby's toothbrush and either some baby soap or mild washing up liquid. Do not get near hot water. Water should be room temperature. Dry with a lint free cloth.

Okay, thank you for letting me know!

Do you know if Sodium Benzoate and 2-Brom-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol harms diamond?
The type dishwashing liquid I got contains it, I suppose all washing-liquids here contains it as well, probably illegal selling without - crazy rules here. But whatsoever, is it safe to use regular hand-soap to clean diamonds - what about colored diamonds?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
STOJA001|1318711939|3041132 said:

Oiling is a totally accepted treatment - 99% of emeralds are oiled. Some are treated with oil under vacuum to pull it into the fissures, but oil is used to look at the rough (it makes it easier to look into the stone) and in some mines, the emeralds are put straight into a container of oil as they are found.

As far as I know, colourless oiling has no effect on value. There is some debate about what should and what need not be disclosed when it comes to fillers like Opticon - these fillers are removeable in the way that oil is and don't contain colourants, they are also very similar in performance to the oils, but have a big advantage in that they are more stable. There was a big court case concerning this - a great article on it is here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/51691484/Emerald-Necklace-Law-Suit-Excell-Material-800-000

Everything comes down to the individual stones - you can't say things like an unoiled stone costs 10% more or anything. It is the case than with fine emeralds the greater the clarity the better the value and the greater the clarity the less need there is for fillers of any kind.

Worth looking at the Fred Ward emerald case as well for a nightmare scenario.

Cleaning emerald - warm soapy water and a soft toothbrush. No soaking, no hot water, no ultrasonics, no steam, no nasty chemicals.

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Pandora|1318715541|3041161 said:

Oiling is a totally accepted treatment - 99% of emeralds are oiled. Some are treated with oil under vacuum to pull it into the fissures, but oil is used to look at the rough (it makes it easier to look into the stone) and in some mines, the emeralds are put straight into a container of oil as they are found.

As far as I know, colourless oiling has no effect on value. There is some debate about what should and what need not be disclosed when it comes to fillers like Opticon - these fillers are removeable in the way that oil is and don't contain colourants, they are also very similar in performance to the oils, but have a big advantage in that they are more stable. There was a big court case concerning this - a great article on it is here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/51691484/Emerald-Necklace-Law-Suit-Excell-Material-800-000

Everything comes down to the individual stones - you can't say things like an unoiled stone costs 10% more or anything. It is the case than with fine emeralds the greater the clarity the better the value and the greater the clarity the less need there is for fillers of any kind.

Worth looking at the Fred Ward emerald case as well for a nightmare scenario.

Cleaning emerald - warm soapy water and a soft toothbrush. No soaking, no hot water, no ultrasonics, no steam, no nasty chemicals.

Okay, not as I aspected.
I has always been stearing away from the Emeralds because of the Oil, but recently I purchased to just to get it in my collection whatsoever.

I will read the link you provided me with! Thank you very much.

I got a question about AGL, I see that the "AGL Prestige Grading Report, including Origin, ID and Enhancement" would be the optional Report for Gemstones. But what about letting AGL set an Estimated Retail value - optional? And if so, would they put all information in one single Report, or would I have to order two different Reports from them?? ""Specialty Reports – Single items, suites and other unique items: All materials, all sizes. These are tailored, multiple page reports that are priced individually depending upon the extent and uniqueness of the information to be presented, the number of items involved and other factors.""

Light one is above 15 carat.
The deep one is about 4.55 carat.

500422919_o.jpg

500422928_o.jpg

Picture.jpg

Picture I.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Gemmological Laboratories are not appraisers and valuers - that would actually be a conflict of interest.

The labs are there to determine identification, whether a stone is natural or synthetic, treatments and enhancements and in some cases they may determine origin (if it is possible to do so) and some will give a more detailed break-down of colour.

At present there is no common grading system for colour with coloured stones in the way that there is for diamonds. Possibly one may come in the future - the Chinese are pressing for it - I rather like the system that GIA used with letters and numbers indicating primary and secondary hues and tonal values.

I'm afraid emeralds are not my thing, so I won't comment on your stones...

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Pandora|1318717531|3041180 said:
Gemmological Laboratories are not appraisers and valuers - that would actually be a conflict of interest.

The labs are there to determine identification, whether a stone is natural or synthetic, treatments and enhancements and in some cases they may determine origin (if it is possible to do so) and some will give a more detailed break-down of colour.

At present there is no common grading system for colour with coloured stones in the way that there is for diamonds. Possibly one may come in the future - the Chinese are pressing for it - I rather like the system that GIA used with letters and numbers indicating primary and secondary hues and tonal values.

I'm afraid emeralds are not my thing, so I won't comment on your stones...

I was just reading the article you linked to, very interesting.
Never heard about ExCel, maybe not very common treatment at all I would suppose.
Good they won the lawsuit atleast!

Oh, I see now....
I misunderstod the AGL site, had to read it about 5 times...

No, problem, I totally understand!
Emerald's vs. fine Demantoid's and fine Tsavorite's - a huge difference in both color and brilliance.
I suppose Emerald's is more a collector gem than anything else.
Both Emerald's I bought, is bought as "Oil-Free" - but they're probably oiled anyway.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock

As Pandora mentioned, most emeralds are oiled. The ones that aren't are rare, and their pricetags reflect that (sorry to contradict you, P). I'm not sure how much of a premium they command.

To clean an emerald, give it a gentle bath in lukewarm water and a mild detergent. Note that, if the oil comes out, the gem can be re-oiled.

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Harriet|1318719607|3041206 said:

As Pandora mentioned, most emeralds are oiled. The ones that aren't are rare, and their pricetags reflect that (sorry to contradict you, P). I'm not sure how much of a premium they command.

To clean an emerald, give it a gentle bath in lukewarm water and a mild detergent. Note that, if the oil comes out, the gem can be re-oiled.

Okay, but I know that Oil can be removed by different Labs, it's up to the customer itself.
Would this mean if i buy a Oiled Emerald, and get a Lab to remove it - the Emerald would increase in value?

Thank you for your tip!
I dont think I can use the regular dishwashing-liquid here as it contains Sodium Benzoate and more.
Would it be safe to clean diamonds (colored) and all type of gemstones with regular hand-soap and lukewarm water??

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

:bigsmile:

The only thing I would add to what you put is that the unoiled emerald needs to be of fine to ultra-fine standard for the lack of treatment to have an effect on price. With other qualities it's not really going to have an effect on value. Would you agree?

Tsavorites and demantoids are far more collector stones than emeralds. First, the vast majority of people think green = emerald, they have never heard of tsavorite or demantoid. Second, the quantities of the garnets just aren't there. Tsavorite is 200 times rarer than emerald.

ETA:
No, removing the oil will not increase the value. The value associated with an unoiled/filled emerald is that it doesn't need to be because it has such high clarity to begin with - it also needs to be of a sufficiently high quality in terms of colour and all other characteristics as well.

I use Fairy Liquid as my washing-up liquid and use it on all my non-porous stones with no issues at all. These are rocks we are dealing with, not handwoven pieces of silk! :bigsmile: I wouldn't advise using oven-cleaner or Cilit-Bang or similar though!

They are all three different beasts with different pluses and minuses. I have an interest in the garnet group in general and love both tsavorites and demantoids. Unfortunately my tastes are champagne not beer so the kind of emeralds I like are far beyond my means...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
In agreement!

A few key differences between the 3 varieties you mentioned:
Emerald has a lower RI that both tsavorite and demantoid (demantoid's is slightly higher than tsavorite's). That said, it has a lovely glow.
Most demantoids have a smidgen of yellow, whereas you can find pure green emeralds and tsavorites.
Tsavorite is the hardest of the three.
Tsavorite is the only one that is never treated (demantoids are sometimes heated to drive out the yellow).

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Pandora|1318720548|3041213 said:

:bigsmile:

The only thing I would add to what you put is that the unoiled emerald needs to be of fine to ultra-fine standard for the lack of treatment to have an effect on price. With other qualities it's not really going to have an effect on value. Would you agree?

Tsavorites and demantoids are far more collector stones than emeralds. First, the vast majority of people think green = emerald, they have never heard of tsavorite or demantoid. Second, the quantities of the garnets just aren't there. Tsavorite is 200 times rarer than emerald.

ETA:
No, removing the oil will not increase the value. The value associated with an unoiled/filled emerald is that it doesn't need to be because it has such high clarity to begin with - it also needs to be of a sufficiently high quality in terms of colour and all other characteristics as well.

I use Fairy Liquid as my washing-up liquid and use it on all my non-porous stones with no issues at all. These are rocks we are dealing with, not handwoven pieces of silk! :bigsmile: I wouldn't advise using oven-cleaner or Cilit-Bang or similar though!

They are all three different beasts with different pluses and minuses. I have an interest in the garnet group in general and love both tsavorites and demantoids. Unfortunately my tastes are champagne not beer so the kind of emeralds I like are far beyond my means...

Yes, I ment that Emerald collectors might be more into Emerald's that regular people are.
I know that Tsavorite's and Demantoid's is quite rare. I dont got any Tsavorite's yet, but I got 2 Demantoid's.
I suppose the 1.20 carat I got is from Russia (Norway is glued together with Russia and Sweden - next to each other).
The other one is a 2.24 carat Demantoid and think it's Namibian, because the clarity and at the same time size is so big.
In UV they both have some "gold" spots, probably "horsetails".

Yeah, you're probably right about the rocks :D
I bought a Blue diamond, seller told me it was Original Color - but it's VERY blue..
Whatsoever, just to test it wasn't enhanced with only a Blue Coating, I put the diamond in ammonia and bleach over night.... No change in color at all! Might have been enhanced by radiation tho'. No GIA Report on this one, haven't botter to get one for this diamond, have had this diamond for approx. 2-3 years. 0.61 carat Princess.

But when looked at under 60x Loupe - the diamond contains some deep blue spots in it - looks almost carbon-spots but are blue.
Does this means it's color enhanced? It's deeper blue some places than other, and lighter some other - vice versa.
Only thing I know about it is that it's hand cut / cut by hand and is bought from Africa.

But even under 200x microscope - the diamond does NOT contain any bubbles that is seen in enhanced diamonds - as far as I know. Neither is blue or orange lines.

Picture is NOT of the actual diamond - but has same type of color, clarity, etc. as the picture!

blue_diamond.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
STOJA001|1318721711|3041221 said:
Yes, I ment that Emerald collectors might be more into Emerald's that regular people are.
I know that Tsavorite's and Demantoid's is quite rare. I dont got any Tsavorite's yet, but I got 2 Demantoid's.
I suppose the 1.20 carat I got is from Russia (Norway is glued together with Russia and Sweden - next to each other).
The other one is a 2.24 carat Demantoid and think it's Namibian, because the clarity and at the same time size is so big.

I bought a Blue diamond, seller told me it was Original Color - but it's VERY blue..
Whatsoever, just to test it wasn't enhanced with only a Blue Coating, I put the diamond in ammonia and bleach over night.... No change in color at all! Might have been enhanced by radiation tho'. No GIA Report on this one, haven't botter to get one for this diamond, have had this diamond for approx. 2-3 years. 0.61 carat Princess.

But when looked at under 60x Loupe - the diamond contains some deep blue spots in it - looks almost carbon-spots but are blue.
Does this means it's color enhanced? It's deeper blue some places than other, and lighter some other - vice versa.
Only thing I know about it is that it's hand cut / cut by hand and is bought from Africa.

But even under 200x microscope - the diamond does NOT contain any bubbles that is seen in enhanced diamonds - as far as I know. Neither is blue or orange lines.

Picture is NOT of the actual diamond - but has same type of color, clarity, etc. as the picture!

Horsetails should be seen under a loupe not under UV - they are radiating fibrous inclusions of an chrysotile, a type of asbestos. Have a look on google for some nice pictures. They are generally pretty obvious and denote a Russian origin. The Namibian demantoids don't have horsetails.

Natural blue diamonds are very rare - they are a Type IIb (approx 0.1% of all diamonds) and are coloured by traces of the element boron. However, there are companies that you can send your Type I aAB (most diamonds) which are the tinted diamonds (cape series) and pretty much select the shade that you would like them nuked to.

I would guess that yours is most probably a nuked diamond.

One of the fun things about the blue Type IIb diamonds is that unlike all other diamonds, they are electrical conductors. So, if you test them with one of those electronic diamond testers, they will give a false negative. You need one that can test for Moissanite as well as diamond and other things. So, if your diamond doesn't give a false negative then it's not a natural blue.

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Pandora|1318724247|3041242 said:
STOJA001|1318721711|3041221 said:

Horsetails should be seen under a loupe not under UV - they are radiating fibrous inclusions of an chrysotile, a type of asbestos. Have a look on google for some nice pictures. They are generally pretty obvious and denote a Russian origin. The Namibian demantoids don't have horsetails.

Natural blue diamonds are very rare - they are a Type IIb (approx 0.1% of all diamonds) and are coloured by traces of the element boron. However, there are companies that you can send your Type I aAB (most diamonds) which are the tinted diamonds (cape series) and pretty much select the shade that you would like them nuked to.

I would guess that yours is most probably a nuked diamond.

One of the fun things about the blue Type IIb diamonds is that unlike all other diamonds, they are electrical conductors. So, if you test them with one of those electronic diamond testers, they will give a false negative. You need one that can test for Moissanite as well as diamond and other things. So, if your diamond doesn't give a false negative then it's not a natural blue.

Yes, I suppose the blue diamond is nuked as well - that's why I hasn't sent it to GIA.

The Demantoids does not got any "horsetails" as pictured..
Only some black spots with some reddish-orange "needles" as pictured - or .... is "horsetails" that small?

33-DEMANTOID.jpg

2.24 Demantoid.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,
Do you have a lab report on your demantoid?

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Harriet|1318737271|3041331 said:
Hi,
Do you have a lab report on your demantoid?

Hi.

Not at this time, sorry.
I will get a AGL Report for it in November I suppose :)
I have to get approx. 20 diamonds and approx. 15 gemstones certfied before December.
All gemstones going to AGL from now on and all diamonds to GIA.

Please also see this link;
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-carbonado-or-what.167056/#post-3041317#p3041317']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-carbonado-or-what.167056/#post-3041317#p3041317[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results