shape
carat
color
clarity

how to best upgrade your diamond?

Linny

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,
(sorry long post!) I have decided to upgrade my RB diamond before resetting it. However I am in a predicament since I purchased the stone from a local brick and mortar store. They have a 100% of purchase price upgrade policy, so I can bring it back and have them source other stones. Or, I can sell my current stone and start over. Here are the options as I see it:

1) Sell the diamond
pros: no longer bound to jewelry store markups, can go online and get better value for my $$, can go with a provider that has an excellent upgrade and buy back policy. Will be able to purchase a stone and see expert ASET Images, IdealScope Images, and have the assurance that I am getting the best cut and light performance for my budget.

cons: I'll have to take a significant loss.

2) Trade in the diamond to my local jeweler where it was purchased from:
pros: 100% trade in value. They can source AGS or GIA diamonds. The stone I currently have (GIA triple EX) met the halloway cut advisor tool guidelines for under 2 score (1.7) and was compared to several others that they sourced that also met that guideline (but I know it is just a rejection tool). I also viewed it in a hearts and arrows viewer but I imagine it is a near H&A verses a "true" but I wasn't versed enough in the subtleties to tell the difference. It wasn't viewed with an IdealScope or ASET viewer so I don't have any real data on light performance. I did just purchase an IdealScope and I'm wondering if I'll be able to use it correctly to get more of an understanding of the quality of my current diamond!

Cons: Will need to pay a premium for a decent upgrade. I'll also be bound to their policies and pricing for the long haul. If I could become really versed in how to use expert imaging tools (idealscope, aset) I could have them keep bringing in stones until I find one that looks good? I don’t think they know how to use there’s tools. Also I'm afraid the ASET scope might be hard for the lay person and I'm not sure I need that one too? Apart from GIA my jewelry store can also source AGS graded stones but is there a difference between say, an AGS Ideal and ACA type AGS ideal? How would I know? Con- I am not a diamond expert by any stretch of the imagination. Just trying to be a good consumer!

Feeling confused! Thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts!

Last edited:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What % loss? Have you had those discussions?

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,
(sorry long post!) I have decided to upgrade my RB diamond before resetting it. However I am in a predicament since I purchased the stone from a local brick and mortar store. They have a 100% of purchase price upgrade policy, so I can bring it back and have them source other stones. Or, I can sell my current stone and start over. Here are the options as I see it:

1) Sell the diamond
pros: no longer bound to jewelry store markups, can go online and get better value for my $$, can go with a provider that has an excellent upgrade and buy back policy. Will be able to purchase a stone and see expert ASET Images, IdealScope Images, and have the assurance that I am getting the best cut and light performance for my budget.

cons: I'll have to take a significant loss.

2) Trade in the diamond to my local jeweler where it was purchased from:
pros: 100% trade in value. They can source AGS or GIA diamonds. The stone I currently have (GIA triple EX) met the halloway cut advisor tool guidelines for under 2 score (1.7) and was compared to several others that they sourced that also met that guideline (but I know it is just a rejection tool). I also viewed it in a hearts and arrows viewer but I imagine it is a near H&A verses a "true" but I wasn't versed enough in the subtleties to tell the difference. It wasn't viewed with an IdealScope or ASET viewer so I don't have any real data on light performance. I did just purchase an IdealScope and I'm wondering if I'll be able to use it correctly to get more of an understanding of the quality of my current diamond!

Cons: Will need to pay a premium for a decent upgrade. I'll also be bound to their policies and pricing for the long haul. If I could become really versed in how to use expert imaging tools (idealscope, aset) I could have them keep bringing in stones until I find one that looks good? I don’t think they know how to use there’s tools. Also I'm afraid the ASET scope might be hard for the lay person and I'm not sure I need that one too? Apart from GIA my jewelry store can also source AGS graded stones but is there a difference between say, an AGS Ideal and ACA type AGS ideal? How would I know? Con- I am not a diamond expert by any stretch of the imagination. Just trying to be a good consumer!

Feeling confused! Thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts!

First Thing that comes to my mind so you won't take a huge loss on your current stone, because your local jeweler deals with AGS graded stones is a good thing. I would ask them to source a couple of AGS 000 graded stones to your upgrade parameters and go from there. Finding a good GIA triple x will be time consuming and risky ....might not be better than your current stone.

Linny

Shiny_Rock
What % loss? Have you had those discussions?

I haven’t asked the jewelry store where I got it what they would would be willing to pay for it but I will. I just got two external quotes to get a general idea of what I could expect to get back and it was about 60% of the original purchase price.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you think that you might want to upgrade again in the future, I would sell your current stone and take my losses on it. Then buy from a vendor that specializes in super ideal cut stones. I say that because that is what you seem to want so why trade again with your jeweler and invest more money into one of his stones? Then if you ever sold it, you'd take an even bigger loss. I know this isn't easy to do as we don't know the size of your current stone and don't know how much of a loss you would take. However, once you decide you want a super ideal cut stone with no questions and worries, it seems logical to me to take your losses on this stone and move forward from there.

There are some very nice AGS0 stones to be had - I had one for years - and it might make more financial sense to trade with your current jeweler. It just depends on what your ultimate goal for a diamond is for you.

Linny

Shiny_Rock
I went through this process with a friend. It was not easy but I was dealing with a B & M that was unwilling to bring in AGS until I really pestered them.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mrb-3-carat-hunt-is-on-help-please.234287/page-3

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-carat-mrb-hunt-is-over.234567/

Wow you did such an amazing job helping your friend and we’re so knowledgeable about your specifications. I need a friend like you and your expertise! It looks like you found a beautiful stone and were able to work with the jeweler to find a great match after much perseverance on your part. Nice work!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you think that you might want to upgrade again in the future, I would sell your current stone and take my losses on it. Then buy from a vendor that specializes in super ideal cut stones. I say that because that is what you seem to want so why trade again with your jeweler and invest more money into one of his stones? Then if you ever sold it, you'd take an even bigger loss. I know this isn't easy to do as we don't know the size of your current stone and don't know how much of a loss you would take. However, once you decide you want a super ideal cut stone with no questions and worries, it seems logical to me to take your losses on this stone and move forward from there.

There are some very nice AGS0 stones to be had - I had one for years - and it might make more financial sense to trade with your current jeweler. It just depends on what your ultimate goal for a diamond is for you.

I totally agree with MissGotRocks.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow you did such an amazing job helping your friend and we’re so knowledgeable about your specifications. I need a friend like you and your expertise! It looks like you found a beautiful stone and were able to work with the jeweler to find a great match after much perseverance on your part. Nice work!
Actually I’m not very knowledgeable. That isn’t why i generally trust AGS 000 stones as worth looking at. After that, it’s just what your eyes like. But it takes me a long time to figure that out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results