shape
carat
color
clarity

How long does it take for GOG to find AVC?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So re August Vintage Inventory, so what GOG were not going to do free advertising for Jonathan and his stones, that is business too. Maybe they wanted a cut for advertising, they were not going to promote for free like Pricescope prosumers do. We always say don't buy from friends and family, this is why. Business is separate from families.

Last edited:

diamondweasel

Rough_Rock
Premium
Please take all these thoughts to another thread and keep this thread about August Vintage diamonds and their availability.
Giving that this is my thread I strongly secon this. I do not wish Jon and his business any harm. I am going to buy a diamond from him.

On a totally different note. I’m just slightly nervous about the J color. I have a micro pave platinum band with very white stones, and this would be set with the same kind of shank and possibly a halo.
:wavey:

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Giving that this is my thread I strongly secon this. I do not wish Jon and his business any harm. I am going to buy a diamond from him.

On a totally different note. I’m just slightly nervous about the J color. I have a micro pave platinum band with very white stones, and this would be set with the same kind of shank and possibly a halo.

Do you know the color grade of the stones in your band?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obviously you know nothing about this situation. And the rest is off topic.

Do you know anymore than I do. Since when did you become a moderator on Pricescope? Maybe policy has not changed but any policy can change. It may have changed tomorrow.

I don't believe you know anymore than anyone, I have always thought you take things at face value without checking. I would not have said this but you are saying a lot about a company that you are not a part of. I know that Jonathan is a great sales and marketing wizard and I feel you are being taken in once again by business people.

diamondweasel

Rough_Rock
Premium
Do you know the color grade of the stones in your band?
It is probably F. My jewler is a bit snobbish and he will probably have a fit when I bring in this J stone:lol:
WhereI live no “ reputable” jewelry store sells below H-G, maybe I. But my guy is a not less than H type...

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If Diamondseeker is privy to the details between Jonathan and his family, I do not think she should be placing them on the worldwide net. Remember blood is thicker than water. I commend Jonathan and Good old Gold for not getting stuck into this thread, at least they show professionalism about a very serious business matter.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is probably F. My jewler is a bit snobbish and he will probably have a fit when I bring in this J stone:lol:
WhereI live no “ reputable” jewelry store sells below H-G, maybe I. But my guy is a not less than H type...

Ah, OK. That being the case, my advice would be to look at pics of lower-colored stones with higher-colored melee and see if you like or dislike that look. It sounds like your jeweler wouldn’t be willing to use melee that’s closer to J in color, so you might wind up with very white melee unless you’re willing to use a different jeweler. Personally, I think lower-colored stones can look beautiful when set with whiter melee, but that’s a very personal choice of course. :))

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps part of the reason why Jon left GOG was this very issue? Perhaps he felt that GOG should stock AV stones in larger sizes (in part due to the fact that previous customers were interested in upgrading to those stones) and expand the AV line in general, and maybe GOG refused to do those things? It’s possible that this factored into his decision to leave GOG. If that is the case, I can certainly understand where he’s coming from.
Apart from the fact that I think speculation has noooo place in this discussion, I'll note that GOG's stated trade-up/upgrade policy has always been limited (well, for at least ~15 years) to the new stone being one that's in current inventory. See, e.g., the OP in this 2007 thread where Chrono explains she had been hoping to upgrade to a larger Jubilee cut diamond but GOG had none to offer in the preceding several years because they weren't being cut.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dont-know-what-to-do.74823/

Important note: Jonathan's new enterprise is not offering any buy-back or trade-in/upgrade possibilities; there's simply a 15-day window for a return and refund -- and custom orders are among the scenarios that do not qualify for that:
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/pages/our-policies

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It probably takes lawyers some time to write up the new policy and discuss it and agree it with the business before the website is changed. This will be ongoing. There is bound to be some change if Jonathan has left the company, unless he was just an employee and had no share.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No need to be snarky! I’m new here and want to get as much help with buing a stone as I possibly can.

Well I have been here since 2002 and was on another forum for 4 years before this one. I would recommend you read and educate yourself and also notice that once here most people want larger and larger until they spend lots more money than they would have originally if they had bought a once only engagement ring. I would read the education threads up top and speak to your local jewellers and then make an educated buy rather than just come online and believe everything. I am not being snarky, it is just that only the moderator can make sure people no longer post on threads, not participants.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apart from the fact that I think speculation has noooo place in this discussion, I'll note that GOG's stated trade-up/upgrade policy has always been limited (well, for at least ~15 years) to the new stone being one that's in current inventory. See, e.g., the OP in this 2007 thread where Chrono explains she had been hoping to upgrade to a larger Jubilee cut diamond but GOG had none to offer in the preceding several years because they weren't being cut.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dont-know-what-to-do.74823/

Exactly my point. If Jon felt that GOG should be stocking AV stones in larger sizes, and if GOG was refusing to do so, that’s an issue. And yes, that may be speculation on my part, but we don’t have much solid info yet so all we can do is speculate at this point.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
***My advice to myself is to ignore the off topic posts from here on out.

If it makes you feel any better, the reason I was talking to Jonathan in the past week was that I was considering buying the exact stone you are looking at!!! The thing is, I have a stone I need to sell and I finally decided I needed to sell it first before buying another one! So you can have my full assurance that I wouldn't recommend that stone for no reason!

As to the halo, a J will have a slight contrast to the halo, but I think that is beautiful. A great example is m-2-b's gorgeous 5 ct J AVC in a micropave halo by Steven Kirsch. I have seen this ring in person and it is just beautiful. I like J color better in a halo than not!

AVCm2b.jpg AVCm2b2.jpg

2014-06-07 11.32.00.jpg

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If it makes you feel any better, the reason I was talking to Jonathan in the past week was that I was considering buying the exact stone you are looking at!!! The thing is, I have a stone I need to sell and I finally decided I needed to sell it first before buying another one! So you can have my full assurance that I wouldn't recommend that stone for no reason!

As to the halo, a J will have a slight contrast to the halo, but I think that is beautiful. A great example is m-2-b's gorgeous 5 ct J AVC in a micropave halo by Steven Kirsch. I have seen this ring in person and it is just beautiful. I like J color better in a halo than not!

AVCm2b.jpg AVCm2b2.jpg

2014-06-07 11.32.00.jpg

Perfect example, DS! You’ve saved me some searching, thank you! :))

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, FWIW, you present yourself as having insider info (for lack of a better term) re: the Jon/AVI and GOG situation, yet the info is unsubstantiated and therefore more akin to gossip and thus unreliable/irrelevant (in my view).

I agree as consumers we can only go by what is posted on vendor websites when it comes to policies.

Although I personally unreservedly favor WF over any other MRB vendor, I do think HPD currently has the best policies in terms of lifetime 80% buyback and lifetime unrestricted upgrade.

diamondweasel

Rough_Rock
Premium
Well I have been here since 2002 and was on another forum for 4 years before this one. I would recommend you read and educate yourself and also notice that once here most people want larger and larger until they spend lots more money than they would have originally if they had bought a once only engagement ring. I would read the education threads up top and speak to your local jewellers and then make an educated buy rather than just come online and believe everything. I am not being snarky, it is just that only the moderator can make sure people no longer post on threads, not participants.
I have read modt of the education sotes here! When I go to a local jewelery store I usually know more than they do. This was about getting a stone that is not available where I live.

diamondweasel

Rough_Rock
Premium
I have read most of the education sites here! When I go to a local jewelery store I usually know more than they do. This was about getting a stone that is not available where I live.

diamondweasel

Rough_Rock
Premium

AVCm2b.jpg AVCm2b2.jpg

2014-06-07 11.32.00.jpg

Thank you so much for telling me this and I hope you fin your AVC soon too.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pr.jpg

I cringe so hard at some of the advice I accepted from b&m jewelers. I've certainly gotten better advice and more valuable information from this community. :dance:
Ditto! I’ve been known to help customers at Lowe’s regularly because I have spent more time there than I care to admit over the years and know the store like the back of my hand. :shifty: But in re: to jewelry, it is REALLY frustrating because it’s such a niche knowledge base, unlike Lowes. When I went to look at a few G&Co settings recently, and the sales staff didn’t know (or didn’t want to bother with) that G&Co - whose products they sell - will customize any of their settings for customers, that was enough for me to know that I didn’t need to do business there. And that’s one of the reasons I despise dealing with most local/small/chain jewelry stores. They know enough to make an occasional sale within their 4-8 hour shift, and that’s it. :hand:

: steps off soapbox : :wavey:

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @diamondweasel, not sure if this helps, but my avatar is a J color AVR with super white diamonds in the shank. In certain lighting, I can see the difference in the diamond colors when looking at the center diamond from the side, but it's not bothersome. I think that if you're using an existing band, match those stones for the pave shank and halo, kind of celebrating the J color center. Just my opinion.
MyCvB_RG_set_Perkins.jpg

MyCvB_RG_set1.jpg
MyCvB_RG_set2.jpg

diamondweasel

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi @diamondweasel, not sure if this helps, but my avatar is a J color AVR with super white diamonds in the shank. In certain lighting, I can see the difference in the diamond colors when looking at the center diamond from the side, but it's not bothersome. I think that if you're using an existing band, match those stones for the pave shank and halo, kind of celebrating the J color center. Just my opinion.
MyCvB_RG_set_Perkins.jpg

MyCvB_RG_set1.jpg
MyCvB_RG_set2.jpg
Thank you! Your ring is gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results