shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Cookie Recipes

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
DKS! I'm shocked that no one has commented on your presence here. Welcome back!!!!

...stepping on soapbox...

I'm just going to throw this out here--a bit of a rant if you will--I don't see the point in making baked goods healthier. To me, that defeats the purpose. Cookies and the like are meant to be indulgences. Making them healthier makes you feel better about eating them, but it's my opinion that the taste goes down, and you eat more of them to compensate for not getting the *good* stuff you're craving. There have actually been studies about this regarding poor quality chocolate (ex: Hershey) and higher quality (ex: Valhrona), and that a small amount of higher quality product quells cravings faster and better-in the end you eat fewer calories. So I'll take the full quantity of butter, heavy cream, sugar, the whole nine yards, in my baked goods. But I'm a purist, and I don't like uber processed food. My mantra for food in general is that if my great great grandma wouldn't recognize it, I probably shouldn't be eating it. Doesn't stop me sometimes, but it does with baked goods.

...stepping off my soapbox...

Mara Don't mess with the biscochitos recipes! There won't ever be anything like the original (although I never use lard-always butter). And besides, that's a pound of butter to 6 cups of flour. That'd be 1 stick of butter to 1.5 cups of flour, which really isn't that abnormal for any cookie recipe.

Rum Balls

Ok, I've been banned from posting some of my favorite cookie recipes (by FF), and so I have no cookie recipes to share. Not to mention we don't really have any cookie recipes for the holidays anyway because my mom is an awful baker.

However, I really really love to make rum balls for the holidays, but I don't have a recipe, and I've never used one. Basically I just save up old cake from the rest of the year (Gwen will remember the nutella mess cakes) and then crumble them up (I like to use frozen yellow cake and frozen chocolate cake, frozen because then they don't just mash together and make light chocolate cakey stuff), add some rum, and some chocolate, nuts are optional. Then goal is to get it to a consistency that can be rolled into balls (sometimes I'll refrigerate them or freeze them to help make it go faster) and then roll them in melted dark chocolate. So depending on the quality of the chocolate (it's actually best to use worse quality chocolate for this because you don't have to temper it) you have a stiff texture on the outside, and a soft velvety texture on the inside. And RUM!

And old cake works best because it absorbs more rum. And no one ever argues with that!
3.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2008 12:22:54 AM
Author: FrekeChild
DKS! I''m shocked that no one has commented on your presence here. Welcome back!!!!

...stepping on soapbox...

I''m just going to throw this out here--a bit of a rant if you will--I don''t see the point in making baked goods healthier. To me, that defeats the purpose. Cookies and the like are meant to be indulgences. Making them healthier makes you feel better about eating them, but it''s my opinion that the taste goes down, and you eat more of them to compensate for not getting the *good* stuff you''re craving. There have actually been studies about this regarding poor quality chocolate (ex: Hershey) and higher quality (ex: Valhrona), and that a small amount of higher quality product quells cravings faster and better-in the end you eat fewer calories. So I''ll take the full quantity of butter, heavy cream, sugar, the whole nine yards, in my baked goods. But I''m a purist, and I don''t like uber processed food. My mantra for food in general is that if my great great grandma wouldn''t recognize it, I probably shouldn''t be eating it. Doesn''t stop me sometimes, but it does with baked goods.

...stepping off my soapbox...

Mara Don''t mess with the biscochitos recipes! There won''t ever be anything like the original (although I never use lard-always butter). And besides, that''s a pound of butter to 6 cups of flour. That''d be 1 stick of butter to 1.5 cups of flour, which really isn''t that abnormal for any cookie recipe.

Rum Balls

Ok, I''ve been banned from posting some of my favorite cookie recipes (by FF), and so I have no cookie recipes to share. Not to mention we don''t really have any cookie recipes for the holidays anyway because my mom is an awful baker.

However, I really really love to make rum balls for the holidays, but I don''t have a recipe, and I''ve never used one. Basically I just save up old cake from the rest of the year (Gwen will remember the nutella mess cakes) and then crumble them up (I like to use frozen yellow cake and frozen chocolate cake, frozen because then they don''t just mash together and make light chocolate cakey stuff), add some rum, and some chocolate, nuts are optional. Then goal is to get it to a consistency that can be rolled into balls (sometimes I''ll refrigerate them or freeze them to help make it go faster) and then roll them in melted dark chocolate. So depending on the quality of the chocolate (it''s actually best to use worse quality chocolate for this because you don''t have to temper it) you have a stiff texture on the outside, and a soft velvety texture on the inside. And RUM!

And old cake works best because it absorbs more rum. And no one ever argues with that!
3.gif
I am very much the same way...I enjoy my cookies as they were meant to be...fat, rich, and delicious...but I also respect peoples need to "feel" healthy and if they are okay with it, then so be it...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found this cookie recipe on the internet; I decided to give them a try tonight since I had some ripe bananas. hehe
3.gif

Banana Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, very soft
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup mashed banana (1 small/medium)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups oats
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking sodaand salt.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugars. Beat in egg and banana, followed by the vanilla extract. Gradually, on low speed or by hand, add in the flour mixture. Stir in the oats (either whole rolled oats or "quick cooking") and chocolate chips.
Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 11-14 minutes at 350F, until set and lightly browned. (they took me approx 15-20 mins, depends on your oven I guess)
Let cookies cool for about 5 minutes on the pan before transfering them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 2 dozen cookies Weight Watcher points is 2 each

IMGSkip0143.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had one and it was quite yummy but not too sweet nor too buttery; a bit soft and a tiny bit chewy. hehe
18.gif

IMGSkip0135.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 11:45:51 PM
Author: Skippy123
I had one and it was quite yummy but not too sweet nor too buttery; a bit soft and a tiny bit chewy. hehe
18.gif
Buttery is better!
25.gif
9.gif
(they do look good skip!)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen, they are buttery but not greasy I should say. lol Thanks, they are yummy! hehe
9.gif

SDL
, thanks sugar!!!! Do you have any recipes to share?
28.gif
31.gif
hehe

Freke, if I have cake sometime I will have to try making your rumballs; I tried they really yummy rumballs with oats. I guess same concept because oats soak up the rum nicely. hehe
31.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
these just made it onto the menu for my holiday cookies for sure!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 11:12:10 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
these just made it onto the menu for my holiday cookies for sure!
Yum!! hehe You will have to tell me what you think.
3.gif
I am excited to make those wreath cookies
31.gif
27.gif

I make Baklava next week so I will post a pic and recipe next week. hehe

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2008 12:22:54 AM
DKS! I''m shocked that no one has commented on your presence here. Welcome back!!!!

that''s because her post was from last Dec
2.gif
. I do wish she''d come back though
39.gif

I can''t wait to try some of the recipe''s in this thread. I wish I had more time to bake.
oh and I love the heavy cream, real butter, sugar, etc. in my baked goods, no cutting calories or corners for me when it comes to my real deserts
18.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to make kolachky for a Polish Thanksgiving Party Monday....anyone have a recipe for this Irish/German girl???

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 10:53:13 PM
Author: AprilBaby
I need to make kolachky for a Polish Thanksgiving Party Monday....anyone have a recipe for this Irish/German girl???
This is from the All Recipes website. link here http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Kolachky/Detail.aspx

Prep Time: 1 Hour
Cook Time: 15 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour 55 Minutes
Yields: 48 servings

INGREDIENTS:
2 (8 ounce) packages cream
cheese, room temperature
2 cups unsalted butter,
softened
4 cups all-purpose flour

1 pound chopped walnuts 1 egg
1/2 cup honey
1 (12 ounce) can poppyseed
filling
1 egg white
1/2 cup confectioners'' sugar for
dusting
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese and butter until well blended. I like to use my hands, but you can also use a wooden spoon. Mix in the flour 1 cup at a time. As the dough becomes stiff, turn it out onto the counter and knead in flour until it is no longer sticky. Continue to knead the dough for 5 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Crush the walnuts to a fine consistency in a food processor. Stir in the egg and honey. On a well floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut the dough into 3x3 inch squares. Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of each square. Use walnut for some and poppyseed for the rest. Roll the squares up and seal the edges. These can also be formed into triangles. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Brush with egg white.
3. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned. When cool, dust with confectioners'' sugar.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahahahaha MrsSalvo!!! My bad...

ETA: My aunt has an amazing kolachy recipe from the 40s/50s that's the real thing if you want me to try and hunt it down. I made it once and it was very time consuming, it has yeast and a really long process that goes into it.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy, I made some banana oatmeal cookies last year that didn''t require flour nor butter. Does that make it healthier? I''ll try yours, because it has brown sugar in it, and I LOVE brown sugar. mmmm

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 11:04:46 PM
Author: choro72
Skippy, I made some banana oatmeal cookies last year that didn''t require flour nor butter. Does that make it healthier? I''ll try yours, because it has brown sugar in it, and I LOVE brown sugar. mmmm
Choro, yes, that would make them a bit healthier since oatmeal has some fiber. I actually used 1/2 c white flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat (ww has fiber too which is good for you). The butter is only 2 tbsp so that isn''t too bad. I made them this way because I knew my hubby and his coworker wouldn''t eat them if they tasted to healthy.
2.gif
3.gif
9.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I just spent the last 20 minutes going through every page of this thread and pasting EVERY recipe into a Word file. I can''t wait to try some of them!

Here is a family recipe that I use every time I make a pie. I''m sure other people have done it before but it always reminds me of baking with my grandmother who passed away in 2001 form Alzheimer''s Disease.

Snails

pie crust dough (whatever you cut off of the edge of your pie)
butter (softened so its easy to spread)
white sugar (real sugar, not Spelnda, I''ve sprinkled in some brown on occasion too)
cinnamon
nutmeg

Roll out the pie dough. Spread a thin layer of butter over the dough. Sprinkle on the sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Roll up the dough into a long tube (pinching off the ends to seal it) and slice into little wheels (or snails!). Bake with your pie (around 350 or 375F ish) for about 20 minutes or until they are browned on the top.

I made these at FF''s parents house recently and she said that her family did the same thing growing up but they called them "Nun''s Farts"!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2008 10:59:17 PM
Hahahahaha MrsSalvo!!! My bad...

ETA: My aunt has an amazing kolachy recipe from the 40s/50s that''s the real thing if you want me to try and hunt it down. I made it once and it was very time consuming, it has yeast and a really long process that goes into it.
I made these once, also with yeast, but with apricot preserve centers. Please hunt down your recipe if you can. My recipe was from a Martha Stewart Holiday Cookie magazine from a few years back, but I don''t think I have it any longer.

So, if you can find your recipe without too much trouble, I''d love to see it! Thanks!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy: thanks for the recipe! I think I will try it. I am also looking to put fruit preserves inside so if anyone else finds a good recipe you can never have too many cookies!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage, I''ll look into it. I think my mom still has the recipe, so I''ll see if I can get it from her over Thanksgiving. Is that ok?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought I posted this in here, but apparently not. Do NOT make this, I'm warning you now. You. will. not. stop. eating. til. it's. gone. You've been warned.
hehe23.gif

Chocolate Toffee Stuff

Club crackers (I recommend using the brand name to ensure deliciousness)
2 sticks butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 bag milk chocolate chips (not semi-sweet)

On large jelly roll pan/cookie sheet with sides, lay down foil.

Then lay crackers down, sides touching. Leave a good margin all around, like an inch or a bit more. (for topping to expand, otherwise you will have a bloody mess in the oven, that causes smoke alram to go off, only to find the entire kitchen filled with smoke)
blankstare012.gif

Heat butter and brown sugar in pot til boiling. Add soda, remove from heat and stir for a sec.

Spead over crackers and bake at 350 for 8 min.

Take out and immediately sprinkle with chips. Let sit just a few minutes so they can soften, then spead all over.

Put in frige to harden, only takes about 20 min. Then pull off foil and break into pieces. I recommend smaller, as it is RICH, but oh so yummy!

Store in tin.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2008 8:22:29 PM
Loves Vintage, I''ll look into it. I think my mom still has the recipe, so I''ll see if I can get it from her over Thanksgiving. Is that ok?

Thanks, Freke, yes, that''d be perfect! I''ll be making them for Christmas. Yum.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I made Baklava and Pumpkin pies tonight. hehe

Here is a pic of the baklava right after I drizzled honey on top
3.gif
3.gif

IMGSkipsbaklava0283.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
The recipe is from here http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Baklava/Detail.aspx

EASY BAKLAVA

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 pound chopped mixed nuts
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Toss together cinnamon and nuts. Unroll phyllo and cut whole stack in half to fit the dish. Cover phyllo with a damp cloth while assembling the baklava, to keep it from drying out.
Place two sheets of phyllo in the bottom of the prepared dish. Brush generously with butter. Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons of the nut mixture on top. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used, ending with about 6 sheets of phyllo. Using a sharp knife, cut baklava (all the way through to the bottom of the dish) into four long rows, then (nine times) diagonally to make 36 diamond shapes.
Bake in preheated oven 50 minutes, until golden and crisp.
While baklava is baking, combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir in honey, vanilla and lemon zest, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
Remove the baklava from the oven and immediately spoon the syrup over it. Let cool completely before serving. Store uncovered.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy, I am droooooooling looking at your Baklava, yummmmmmmmmmy!!!!!!!
18.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 1:05:21 AM
Author: Linda W
18.gif
Ah, thanks sweet Linda, please come over, I will give you some!!!
2.gif
3.gif
Hugs and may you have a Wonderful Thanksgiving w/those stinkin cute grandboys of yours friend!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 1:05:21 AM
Author: Linda W
18.gif
Me too, I LOVE that stuff.
39.gif

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2008 12:32:53 AM
I made Baklava and Pumpkin pies tonight. hehe

Here is a pic of the baklava right after I drizzled honey on top
3.gif
3.gif

Oh my, Skippy, that baklava looks divine, and the recipe looks super easy too! Hubby is baking a pumpkin pie now. hehe.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Linda, Ellen and Loves Vintage!!
35.gif
I was naughty and had a small piece for breakfast yesterday (yanno, you have to taste test before serving to guests). hehe
11.gif
9.gif

Just a quick note, you need to work quickly with the filo dough and have a damp cloth covering it so it doesn't dry out. You also need a little brush to brush on the butter. Well, it was a success, only 4 small pieces were left from the big pan I made.
41.gif
It also got rave reviews!! We added a little vanilla bean ice cream on top and it was delic!

Ellen, that toffee recipe sounds delicious, thanks!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2008 1:42:03 PM
Thanks Linda, Ellen and Loves Vintage!!
35.gif
I was naughty and had a small piece for breakfast yesterday (yanno, you have to taste test before serving to guests). hehe
11.gif
9.gif

Just a quick note, you need to work quickly with the filo dough and have a damp cloth covering it so it doesn''t dry out. You also need a little brush to brush on the butter. Well, it was a success, only 4 small pieces were left from the big pan I made.
41.gif
It also got rave reviews!! We added a little vanilla bean ice cream on top and it was delic!

Ellen, that toffee recipe sounds delicious, thanks!!!
It is.
18.gif
9.gif

Glad to hear your Baklava was a success!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyone have a good recipe for Coconut Macaroons???
12.gif

This weekend will be a baking frenzy for me so I will post recipes and cookies.
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sure if I posted these last year or not but these are YUMMY

These are so yummy; my cousins kids said this was their favorite cookie in our holiday cookie exchange.

Sugar Cookies

Recipe By : Martha Stewart

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 Cups all purpose flour -- sifted
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
8 Tablespoons butter -- unsalted(1 stick)
1 Cup sugar
1 Large egg
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
or
1 Teaspoon lemon juice -- fresh
and
1 lemon -- zest of
1/4 Pound chocolate -- semisweet
ROYAL ICING
2 Large egg whites
4 Cups confectioners sugar -- sifted
1 lemon -- Juice of
Food coloring
Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Set aside
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment,
Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy
Beat in egg
Add flour mixture, and mix on low speed until thoroughly combined
Stir in vanilla or lemon juice and zest
Wrap dough in plastic; chill about 30 minutes
Heat oven to 325 degrees
On a well-floured board, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness
Using either cookie cutters or a pattern cut out of cardboard,
cut cookies into shapes of bats and cobwebs
Place on ungreased baking sheet and chill until firm,about 15 minutes
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes,or until edges are light brown
Cool on wire racks
CHOCOLATE COATING:
Place chocolate in metal bowl over pan of hot,not boiling, water,and melt
Spread chocolate onto cookies with back of spoon to cover
Decorate with royal icing
To make cobweb design: Ice cookie with white royal icing
Pipe out a spiral of black icing starting from center to edges of cookie
Draw skewer or tip of sharp knife from center to each point on the cookie, and then from inner curves back to center
Makes about 4 dozen
ROYAL ICING
Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry
Add sugar and lemon juice
Beat 1 minute
If icing is too thick, add water
If too thin, add more sugar
Divide icing into smaller bowls
Tint with small amounts of food coloring;mix well for even color
Spread thin layer of base icing on cooled cookies,using flat metal spatula
Allow to set uncovered at least 1 1/2 hours or overnight
Cover bowls of leftover icing with plastic wrap; wrap should touch icing
This prevents it from drying out
Thicken icing with a bit of confectioners sugar,and spoon into pastry bags
Ice the cookies using plain pastry tips, numbers 2, 3, and 4
Makes about 2 cups
Note: Raw eggs should not be used in food prepared for pregnant women,
babies, young children, the elderly, or anyone whose health is compromised.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results