color
clarity

Holiday Cookie Recipes

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2007 9:03:31 PM
Author: Elmorton

Oreo Cookie Truffles -
I made a BUNCH of these last year (they are SUPER rich) and they were totally gone by Xmas day. Not exactly a cookie, but in the same arena.

Take a package of oreo cookies and crush them finely in a large ziplock bag. In a big mixing bowl, combine with two softened bricks of philly cream cheese. Mix well.

Roll ''dough'' into small balls (one-two inches) and place on a baking sheet covered in tin foil. Freeze over night.

Next day: Melt a bag of white chocolate morsels. Dip the frozen balls in the white chocolate. Return to foil lined baking sheet/fridge until hardened. Once hard, keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

For a Xmas touch, I also added a little bit of red and green sugar to the top.
El, these sound really intriguing. I have a son who loves Oreos, I may have to try them!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2007 4:25:51 PM
Author: sumbride

Ellen - I totally just saw this!! I''m sorry!
38.gif
38.gif
38.gif

post away!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Oh don''t be sorry! I really WAS just keeding!
9.gif
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2007 12:57:09 AM
Author: Mara
Miss Skippy...I was looking through my Cooking Light from last month and I found a recipe and thought of you!!

Orange Bizchochitos...a healthy recipe, or well less detrimental to the heart and jeans I guess. Interesting because I never even have seen these cookies before (we totally don't eat them out here, and in the mag they say they originated in New Mexico) they look kind of like shortbread right. I don't think I'd like them because I don't like licorice flavored items but they look cute!

Anyway the recipe is probably on CookingLight.Com. It uses real butter, flour, sugar, orange rind, aniseed, vanilla, ground cinnamon etc and there's a cute picture of them. They look tasty and are only 65 cals each. BIG diff from the pound of lard...this recipe uses 2c flour to 3/4c sugar and 1/2c butter.

So I know I've seen you say a few times that the Bizchochitos are not healthy but sounds like they can be. I'd be interested if you made these healthier orange ones and compared them to the ones you make regularly...and see how they taste!! I personally find I don't miss a lot of the butter and stuff in less healthy recipes..and CL has great cookies. So anyway let me know if you make them.
taverymuch.gif

Thanks Miss Superwoman Mara for the healtier version; that is interesting to know they originated in NM!!!
3.gif

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
I heard this from a co-worker today but haven''t made it (yet!)

Rolo pretzels

place a Rolo on top a a mini pretzel
Bake at 250 degrees until it melts (maybe 5 min)
Place a pecan on top

Eat Eat Eat

When I have more time I''ll give my kids favorite--chocolate cookie with coconut and oatmeal inside, then you frost with white frosting and sprinkle walnut bits on top. They stay nice for a long time because of the coconut moisture (but they don''t taste like coconut to me.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I spent about 4 hours baking last nite for a cookie exchange today with my team...I had a lot of fun since I had been looking up recipes all week long. I am obsessed with baking blogs so I took a lot of photos while I was working on the cookies.

My two faves out of the three were the Apricot Walnut Rugelach Pinwheels (a lot of work though...but worth it I think!)...I found these recipes on SmittenKitchen.com which a friend of mine recommended. Fun read. Anyway here's the recipe and my picture of the finished product. I doubled the recipe thinking really how many cookies can 2 logs make, well the recipe really does make like 45 cookies, so now I have a whole 2nd batch in the fridge that I have to bake this wkd...yikes!! Oh also I modified the recipe and used 3/4 of the butter it called for as well as used 1/2 sugar apricot preserves mixed with regular (50/50) and they were still amazing. I might cut back on the brown and white sugar filling in the pinwheels on the next batch, because of how sweet the preserves and the sugars were, these are really sweet cookies anyway, and they kind of carmelize on the baking pan so be aware, they are sticky cookies!!

Rugelach Pinwheels
From the Sweet On You Bakery via The Martha Stewart Show; recipe found on SmittenKitchen.Com

Although apricot jam, raisins and walnuts are traditional, this doesn’t mean that any other jam, dried fruit or nut couldn’t be used as a replacement. Makes about 50 cookie.

Dough
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups sifted bleached all-purpose flour

Filling
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup golden raisins, chopped
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup apricots preserves, heated and cooled slightly

Topping
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1. Place cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and continue processing until fully incorporated. Add flour and pulse just until dough comes together. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

2. Meanwhile, make filling. In a medium bowl, mix together granulated and brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins, and walnuts; set aside.

3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 piece of dough into a rectangle about 1/8-inch thick. Spread a thin layer of preserves over dough; sprinkle with filling mixture. Roll dough into a log beginning with one of the long sides; wrap in plastic wrap. Transfer dough log baking sheet. Repeat process with remaining piece of dough. Place dough logs in refrigerator; let chill at least 1 hour.

4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar for the topping; set aside.

5. Slice chilled dough logs crosswise, about 1/4 inch thick. Toss each cookie in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place cookies 3 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned, 18 to 20 minutes. Lift parchment paper from baking sheets and transfer to a wire cooling rack; let cool.

rugelach done b.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here is a fun picture of the dough rolled flat while i was spreading the jam and filling on it. this is the time consuming part, the rolling out, then filling then rolling together, chilling, cutting is a chore too because it wants to flatten out and spread. mine did not turn out near as aesthetically pleasing as the gal on the blog's but oh well, they taste divine!!

rugelach flat.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here is my other favorite, the peanut butter cookies from smittenkitchen as well. Supposedly these are supposed to be like the PB cookies at Magnolia Bakery in NYC...she was trying to replicate them and apparently found what was the original recipe somewhere else. Interesting backstory but I just wanted to eat some PB choco chip cookies. These are AMAZING. Seriously. They turned out amazing for me though not as cakey as she noted in her blog. But still fabulous and I like them even better maybe.

I used again 3/4 the butter and Skippy creamy peanut butter. Apparently, do not use healthy organic ones because you need the oils in the old fashioned badforyou PB to really make the cookies work. Also they said the original ones at MB they think use crunchy PB rather than creamy but both work, depending on how much peanut you like. This was a super easy dough to make and the cookies were fast too.

Peanut Butter Cookies
Adapted from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook

The brilliance of these cookies is that they have include two different formats for peanuts–three if you use chunky peanut butter. They’re crisp on the outside, and almost cakey on the inside. Bake a batch and then hide the results in the furthest and most forgettable reaches of your kitchen. You’ll thank me later.

1¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter at room temperature (smooth is what we used, but I am pretty sure they use chunky at the bakery)
¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon (for sprinkling) sugar
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup peanut butter chips
½ cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, and the salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and the peanut butter together until fluffy. Add the sugars and beat until smooth. Add the egg and mix well. Add the milk and the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in the peanut butter chips. Place sprinkling sugar on a plate. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into the sugar, then onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion. Using a fork, lightly indent with a crissscross pattern (I used the back of a palette knife to keep it smooth on top), but do not overly flatten cookies. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not overbake. Cookies may appear to be underdone, but they are not.

Cool the cookies on the sheets for 1 minute, then remove to a rack to cool completely.

MARA NOTE...the recipe calls for PB chips and chocolate chips but then references only putting the pb chips in. I didn't use PB chips, just semi-sweet chocolate mini morsels and I think they came out fab, lots of PB taste from the batter, so PB chips for me might have been overkill.

pb dough.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
And the uber tasty finished product. I didn''t roll them in sugar because I read that makes them TOO sweet, so I just sprinkled some turbinado on top before cooking and they came out cute. The fork tine thing is a must but you don''t have to be anal about it...they puff up quite nicely with the ridges visible.

finished pb cookies.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
The computer ate my post! Guess it wants cookies. That reminds me of one of the computer hacks we would do to people back in the late ''70''s. When they would try to log in [at work of course
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
] they would be greeted by the Sesame Street Cookie Monster on their screen who would demand a cookie and would not go away until it got one! LOL! [Yes, I am easy to entertain!]. To make the monster let you have the compyter back you had to type "cookie". It was fun to watch!

Anyway, as I was saying, you ladies are making me salivate and think about making cookies.

Here is a recipe for Glazed Orange Cookies that Gra-Gra [DH''s grandmother who died last year at 101!] made when he was a kid. I have since improved the recipe by using butter instead of shortening. I also add a tad [1-2 TBS] of Gran Marnier or Cointreau to "help" things along! I am obligated to make these at least twice/year [Christmas and his B-Day].

Cookie batter:
2 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
4 cups sifted white flour
pinch of salt
1 cup sour cream
juice of 1 orange + some orange liqueur if desired
grated rind of 1 orange + some dried orange peel if desired

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs, add sour cream and beat well.
Sift baking soda, baking powder, pinch salt and enough flour to get 4 cups.
Slowly add flour mixture to combine with sour cream mixture.
Beat in orange juice and orange peel until well combined.

Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets [or sheets lined with parchment paper]. Bake at 400F for about 12 minutes. They should be cream color with slightly browned edges.

Put on racks to cool.

Icing:
1 box confectioner''s sugar [I think it''s a pound]
1 tsp unsalted butter, softened
juice of 1 orange

Beat ingredients until smooth. Put icing on cookies after they have cooled. Note: If you add orange liqueur be careful to do it bit by bit so the icing does not become grainy.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara,

Those look Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuum, Nummmmmmmmmmmmy. I am so glad Christmas is almost over because I am gaining weight looking at all of these cookies. ha ha ha ha ha.

Linda

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Mara...you are the master!

I was just reading through some recipes...

Just found this recipe on AOL...has anyone tried it or anything similar? You add pudding mix. Odd???

Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Cooking Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add pudding mix, eggs and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a yummy recipe I made from the Whole Foods Website. I will take pictures the next time I make them.
3.gif
You can add or subtract the items so if you don't like raisins add more pb.

Chocolate Earth Balls

Serves about 4
Kids love making and eating these chocolate earth balls, a less fancy version of grown-up truffles. No baking required! From The Whole Foods Market Cookbook.

Ingredients
1 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons carob powder or unsweetened organic cocoa powder
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup finely chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, etc.)

Method
Before measuring the peanut butter, stir it up well.
Mix the peanut butter, honey and carob or cocoa powder until well combined. Stir in the raisins and 2 tablespoons of the coconut. Stir in the chocolate chips. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.

Place the remaining coconut, sesame seeds and nuts into 3 separate bowls. Using a spoon, scoop small heaps of the peanut mixture from the bowl; roll into 1 1/4-inch balls. Rolling is easier if you form a rough ball, roll in the coconut, and then continue rolling into a more perfect shape. Roll each finished ball in more coconut, sesame seeds and chopped nuts. Arrange the balls on a plate, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Nutrition
Per serving (42g-wt.): 210 calories (140 calories from fat), 15g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 3g dietary fiber, 5g protein, 18g carbohydrate, 0mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy Skip....Those sound good....
31.gif

Thanks for the hip bump on this thread, that time of year is fast approaching when we will need to get cracking cookie wise!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! I am so glad this thread was re-opened! Who is responsible for that? (Skippy?) I really, really needed it after the Election Day madness! I can't wait to throw myself into Thanksgiving and Christmas cooking and baking! Especially if money is going to be tight and presents are not going to be the focus of Christmas! (I wonder if there might be a blessing there?)

At least I know that we are lucky enough to be among those who will be able to afford to cook and bake for Christmas.

Deborah
34.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb and Lorelei, you sweetie pies know me too well. hehe
2.gif
3.gif
Deb, I agree; let the cookie making begin
9.gif
31.gif
Sounds like cookies are our weakness, yum!
I am excited to try some of these recipes and I will be a good girl and try and post pics too. hehe
11.gif
12.gif

I hope people will add their recipes!!
31.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
11/9/2008 2:09:12 PM
Author: Lorelei

Thanks for the hip bump on this thread, that time of year is fast approaching when we will need to get cracking cookie wise!

Wouldn''t it be fun to do a Pricescope cookie exchange? I bet we could do several regional ones! Each of us could make several dozen of a certain cookie, then we could get together and exchange cookies. Of course if sounds fun, but wouldn''t be so easy. In reality, nothing is so easy!

Deb
34.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
These are great cookies for kids...and, even as an adult, still a personal favorite of mine...but, they are messy!!!!

Christmas Wreath Cookies

Ingredients

1/2 cup of butter
4 cups of mini marshmellows or 40 jumbo marshmellows
1 teaspoon of green food coloring
1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
****If you''d prefer to use either almond or vanilla without using the either, just make it 1 teaspoon of whichever you prefer****
4 cups of Cornflakes
Red Hot Candies or sprinkles
Powder sugar to be sifted
Parchment Paper/Wax Paper/Non-stick aluminum foil

Directions

In a 2 quart sauce pan, melt butter and marshmellows, stirring constantly

Once butter and marshmellows are melted and blended, add food coloring and mix completely

Then add extract of your choice

Then drop in Cornflakes

Completely coat the Cornflakes in the marshmellow mixture

On spread out parchment paper, wax paper or foil, drop heaping spoonfuls of the mixture

With buttered fingers shape ball into wreathes (you must work quickly while the mixture is still warm and easy to shape)

Place red hots or sprinkles on the wreathes and sift powdered sugar lightly over to look like a dusting of snow.

Let cool completely

Enjoy!!!

wreath cookies.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 10:36:56 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
These are great cookies for kids...and, even as an adult, still a personal favorite of mine...but, they are messy!!!!

Christmas Wreath Cookies
Italianhaircolor, thank you so much for posting these; I never made them but as kids one of our neighbors would make these for us and my sister and I would fight over them. They are soooooo YUMMY
3.gif
Yay, now I finally know how to make them
36.gif
I think I will surprise my sister and make them for her over the holidays. hehe

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Skippy, glad I could help!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
no bake choco-PB-oat drops

These are yum yum!!!!!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup milk
2 cups white sugar
3 Tbls. unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tbls. crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
3 cups rolled oats
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
Wipe 1" wide band of butter around the rim of a 3 quart pan to prevent boil-over.
Combine milk, sugar, cocoa, butter, and peanut butter.
Stir and bring to a boil over medium heat. Let boil 1 1/2 minutes, do not stir.
Remove from heat. Stir in oats and vanilla. Stir until oats evenly distributed.
Drop by teaspon onto waxed paper. Cool.

Makes 4 to 5 dozen

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
ELEPHANT EAR KRISPS

1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp. salt
2 pkgs. dry yeast in 1/2 c. warm water
2 beaten eggs
4 1/2 to 5 c. flour

Combine all ingredients. Knead, let stand for 15 minutes. Use half of dough and roll out as for cinnamon rolls. Spread with a mixture of melted butter, cinnamon, and sugar. Roll up as you would jelly roll. Roll in cinnamon and sugar and cut like jelly roll. With a rolling pin, flatten each one and let rise for 10 minutes. Bake about 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/10/2008 11:02:41 AM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 11/10/2008 10:36:56 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor

Christmas Wreath Cookies
Italianhaircolor, thank you so much for posting these; I never made them but as kids one of our neighbors would make these for us and my sister and I would fight over them. They are soooooo YUMMY
3.gif
Yay, now I finally know how to make them
36.gif
I think I will surprise my sister and make them for her over the holidays. hehe
Italia, THANK YOU!!! I LOVE THESE!!!
30.gif

We have a client who brings us a big tray of homemade Christmas cookies every year. His wife makes them from scratch, and she always includes some of these cookies. Of course, I scarf them all up before anyone else gets any!
18.gif
27.gif
12.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Irish! LMAO at the eyeballs!
lol.gif

Sorry for slight threadjack!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 11:47:24 AM
Author: strmrdr
no bake choco-PB-oat drops

These are yum yum!!!!!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup milk
2 cups white sugar
3 Tbls. unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tbls. crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
3 cups rolled oats
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
Wipe 1'' wide band of butter around the rim of a 3 quart pan to prevent boil-over.
Combine milk, sugar, cocoa, butter, and peanut butter.
Stir and bring to a boil over medium heat. Let boil 1 1/2 minutes, do not stir.
Remove from heat. Stir in oats and vanilla. Stir until oats evenly distributed.
Drop by teaspon onto waxed paper. Cool.

Makes 4 to 5 dozen
Thanks Karl, these are great!! I have made them before and they aren''t the prettiest but for sure they are tasty!!!
18.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Seven Layer Magic Bars

***one of personal favorites***

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups of crushed gramcrackers
1 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 1/3 cup flaked coconut (I like it sweetened)
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions

Preheat over to 350 degrees (325 for glass)

Line a 13x9 pan with non stick foil (rapid release by Reynolds) making sure to completely cover the sides of the pan

Place the butter in the baking pan, and put pan into over until butter is completely melted

Carefully remove pan from oven and sprinkle gramcracker cumbs over the bottom until completely covered in a single layer

Pour condensed milk over the crumbs evenly

Top with butterscotch chips followed by chocolate chips

Sprinkle with coconut and then sprinkle pecans on top

Press mixture down firmly with a fork

Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned

Cool or chill (whichever you desire, I place mine on cooling racks for about 1 hour)

Cut into bars, and store covered at room temperature or freezer for longer lasting bars.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I forgot a picture ....

severlayeryumbars.jpg

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Toffee Squares

**another favorite of mine**

Ingredients

1 cup of butter
1 cup of firmly packed light brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1 chocolate chips, or 1 large milk chocolate baking bar, broken into rectangles (I use the baking bar)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or peanuts (optional)

Directions

In large bowl: combine soft butter, brown sugar, egg yolk and vanilla with a wooden spoon.

Stir in flour, mix well

Spread mixture evenly in a greased pan (I like to use a smaller pan for a thicker bar)

Bake at 375 degree for approximately 20 minutes, or until mixture is golden brown

Carefully remove from oven

Immediately drop chocolate on the mixture and with frosting knife, spread evenly

(optional) sprinkle with peanuts or walnuts

Cut into 2 inch squares immediately

Let cool.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2008 11:50:51 AM
ELEPHANT EAR KRISPS

1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp. salt
2 beaten eggs
4 1/2 to 5 c. flour

Combine all ingredients. Knead, let stand for 15 minutes. Use half of dough and roll out as for cinnamon rolls. Spread with a mixture of melted butter, cinnamon, and sugar. Roll up as you would jelly roll. Roll in cinnamon and sugar and cut like jelly roll. With a rolling pin, flatten each one and let rise for 10 minutes. Bake about 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
I am SO making these, I know Hubsters will love them! Thanks Storm!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 3:49:38 PM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 11/12/2008 11:50:51 AM

ELEPHANT EAR KRISPS

1/2 c. milk

1/2 c. sugar

1/2 c. butter

1 tsp. salt

2 beaten eggs

4 1/2 to 5 c. flour

I am SO making these, I know Hubsters will love them! Thanks Storm!
kewl
That is the healthy version, we always fried em in lard.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

"Hello Dollies"

Combine 1 stick melted butter and 2 cups graham cracker crumbs. Press in greased 9x13 pan. On top, layer 1 package chocolate chips, 1 package peanut butter chips, 1 12oz can lightly salted peanuts. Top with 1 small can sweetened condensed milk (I use fat free -- big deal!). Bake at 350 for 25 minutes (the edges should be bubbly). I recommend not cutting them until the next day because it seems to take that long for the graham cracker bottom to really harden.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results