shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Cookie Recipes

lydia

Rough_Rock
Here is an awesome and easy cookie to make. My sister brought these for Thanksgiving.

Ritz crackers
Mint chocolate chips

Dip ritz crackers in melted chocolate chips. They are so good you can''t stop eating them.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh FG i am so enivisioning those lime cookies modified into the true holy grail of citrus, LEMON MELTAWAYS. ahhh i can almost taste them now. maybe those should be my holiday cookie for the exchange.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread has 31 postings (32 with mine) and only 6 recipes (6 1/2 if you count Lydia''s Ritz crackers and chocolate). Don''t you think we should all be getting out our recipe books? I know I have a recipe for creme de menthe brownies that look extraordinarily festive (with a green stripe between layers of chocolate) for the season and taste better than they have any right to! I just have to find it!

Deb
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2007 9:54:24 PM
Author: lydia
Here is an awesome and easy cookie to make. My sister brought these for Thanksgiving.

Ritz crackers

Mint chocolate chips

Dip ritz crackers in melted chocolate chips. They are so good you can''t stop eating them.

Lydia,

Does she dip the crackers in advance and let them cool and dry or does she melt chocolate when she serves them and let people dip crackers into it like fondue?

Deb
34.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2007 9:31:14 AM
Author: AGBF

This thread has 31 postings (32 with mine) and only 6 recipes (6 1/2 if you count Lydia''s Ritz crackers and chocolate). Don''t you think we should all be getting out our recipe books? I know I have a recipe for creme de menthe brownies that look extraordinarily festive (with a green stripe between layers of chocolate) for the season and taste better than they have any right to! I just have to find it!

Deb
34.gif
Yes, please
9.gif
31.gif
I will be making cookies this holiday so it would be nice to have a good mix
41.gif

Ellen any good family cookie recipes?

lydia

Rough_Rock
AGBF - my sister dips the crackers in melted mint chocolate chips and then cools them. They are like a mint cookie. She also made some mint creams dipped in chocolate but I don''t have the recipe for those. Those have a white creamy center and are like a mint patty. I believe those were dipped in regular chocolate chips. They are also very good. I bake many different kinds of cookies this time of year and will share some of my recipes when I dig them out. I made German Christmas stolen for the first time this year. It is a Christmas favorite that my mother-in-law makes yearly and that was fun to make but was an all day job.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
Here are a couple of holiday cookie recipes I make every year. Enjoy!

Zebra Cookies
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped 125g
2 cups all purpose flour 500ml
2 tsp. baking powder 10ml
3 eggs 3
1 ½ cups granulated sugar 375ml
½ cup vegetable oil 125ml
2 tsp. vanilla 10ml
1 cup icing sugar 250ml
60 striped Hershey’s kisses 60

**In large heatproof bowl set over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, melt unsweetened chocolate. Let cool.
**In bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder; set aside
**Whisk eggs into chocolate; whisk in granulated sugar, oil and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture, one-third at a time, until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until chilled and firm, about 2 hours.
**Sift icing sugar into pie plate. Roll 1 tsp (5ml) of the dough into ball; roll in sugar. Repeat with remaining dough and sugar.
**Place Balls 2 inches (5cm) apart on ungreased rimless baking sheets. Bake in center of 325 degree oven until edges are firm and tops are cracked, about 10 minutes. Let cool on pan on rack until warm but not hot enough to melt chocolate, about 5 minutes. Gently press 1 striped chocolate into center of each.
Transfer to racks and let cool completely.

(Make ahead: Layer between waxed paper in airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 weeks). Makes about 60 cookies.

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies

Prep: 30 minutes Bake: 7 minutes per batch
Makes 60 cookies Chill: 2 Hours
Oven: 375 degrees

1 cup butter, softened
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
¼ to 1/3 cup of sugar

In a large bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 2 minutes. Add the 1 ½ cups sugar; beat until combined, beat in eggs, cream of tartar, baking soda, vanilla and salt until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with mixer. Using wooden spoon, sit in remaining flour. Cover and chill for 2 to 3 hours.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in the ¼ to 1/3 cup of sugar. Place balls 2 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 7-8 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to wire rack and let cool.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Yummmmmmmmy. Thank you for sending that link.

Did anyone see that lemon bar recipe??? Ummmmmmmmmmm!!

Linda

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2007 11:51:53 AM
Author: Skippy123

Yes, please
9.gif
31.gif
I will be making cookies this holiday so it would be nice to have a good mix
41.gif

Ellen any good family cookie recipes?
Yes, I have one of my grammas that''s made with cream cheese. But I''m not posting it, Sumbride will grimace, and post a better version, and everyone will make hers.
39.gif

25.gif
I keed, I keed.
grins-xmas.gif

I''ll post it tomorrow.
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one of those embarrassingly easy crowd pleasing recipes that no gourmet cook would ever use, the kind that produces food everyone loves and asks for year after year ;-). And this one doesn't even have Cool Whip! I made it for Christmas with my extended family for years because it was red, and when I stopped out of boredom, I was hounded to recommence!

Easy Cherry Cobbler

1 can cherry pie filling
(I use 1/2 can pie filling and 1 can tart cherries instead)
Spread in greased 9 x 9 pan
1/2 box cake mix (yellow or white)
Sprinkle over cherries
1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
and
1/2 cup water poured over cake mix
1/2-1 cup chopped nuts sprinkled over top
Bake at 400 degrees for 1/2 hour

Can be served with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Since I use 1/2 can pie filling for a cake, I always make two. Two are always eaten!

Deb
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Creme de menthe Brownies

1) Make brownies.

2) 2 cups confectioners sugar
5T creme de menthe
1/2 cup margarine (room temperature)
Blend all ingredients together and spread on cool brownies.

3) 6 oz. chocolate chips
5 T. margarine
Melt chips and margarine together and spread on cool creme de menthe. Chill to serve. Can freeze.

Deborah
34.gif

These can really be considered Christmas cookies. That cherry cobbler recipe above was a faux pas! I forgot that this thread was only for Christmas cookie recipes. Sorry! I also found an old recipe that I had for a certain pie...and I was going to post it for Mara. I think I'll have to start a thread of its own for it!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooooo, I love cobbler!
18.gif

Thank YOU for the recipes!!! Keep em comin
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Philadelphia Cream Cookies

1 c. butter

2-3 oz. cream cheese

1 c. sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. salt

1 egg

2 tbsp. milk, or half & half

2 c. flour

3/4 c. chopped nuts, optional (good both ways)

Mix all, drop from tsp. onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 15-17 min. Should be light brown on bottom, and almost white on top.

Makes 4 1/2 dozen.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I posted these last year, but I''ll give them again, they are worth it.

Cocoa Meltaway Cookies

1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. flour
1/2 c. cornstarch-Exactly
1/4 c. cocoa
1/2 c. ground pecans-Exactly
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the rest of ingredients except pecans and vanilla. Blend at low speed until all is moistened. Add pecans and van., mix well.

(May need to chill for 1/2 hour or so for easier handling)

Shape into 1 in. balls, place 2 in. apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake at 325 for 8-10 min. Cool 1 min. then transfer to wire rack.

Frosting

2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. butter, softened
2-3 tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
red and green food coloring (2 drops is about right, I divide the icing in two)

In small bowl, combine all until smooth. Frost completely cooled cookies, and allow frosting to set before storing.

These things just melt in your mouth.
18.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen,

Please, you are making my mouth water!!!!! I LOVE cream cheese by the way. I am trying to diet here.
39.gif
LOL

Linda

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen,
do you mind explaining the taste of those cookies? Are they soft? I want to make the melt away ones for sure; both sound good but the chocolate always wins. hehee Thanks for posting them!

I forgot to explain biscocitos. They taste sugar cookies but w/anise and a little more crumbley (sp?) and rich. My in laws love them w/their coffee.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2007 5:21:35 PM
Author: Linda W
Ellen,

Please, you are making my mouth water!!!!! I LOVE cream cheese by the way. I am trying to diet here.
39.gif
LOL

Linda
I know, me too. And I just spent over a hundred dollars on baking stuff yesterday....
40.gif

Skippy, they are soft, and it''s a very delicate, yummy flavor. If you like butter, and cream cheese, you should like them.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2007 5:33:04 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 11/30/2007 5:21:35 PM

Author: Linda W

Ellen,

39.gif
LOL

Linda
I know, me too. And I just spent over a hundred dollars on baking stuff yesterday....
40.gif

Skippy, they are soft, and it's a very delicate, yummy flavor. If you like butter, and cream cheese, you should like them.

OK...so why do we all do this to ourselves? Why do the women's magazines all have diets AND recipes for chocolate cake? Why do we post heavenly recipes that we also mean to bake when we want to lose weight? Are we all crazy?

Deb
34.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2007 5:49:03 PM
Author: AGBF

OK...so why do we all do this to ourselves? Why do the women''s magazines all have diets AND recipes for chocolate cake? Why do we post heavenly recipes that we also mean to bake when we want to lose weight? Are we all crazy?

Deb
34.gif
Possibly.
grins-xmas.gif

I do it because I have 3 boys who expect sweets at xmas (my fault for starting this, lol). Plus, I give some stuff as gifts.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies (martha Stewart)

Ingredients
7 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Nutrition Info
Per Serving

Calories: 268 kcal|Carbohydrates: 37 g|Dietary Fiber: 1 g|Fat: 13 g|Protein: 3 g|Sugars: 21 g

Cooking Directions
Line two baking sheets with parchment. Chop chocolate into 1/4-inch chunks; set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Add molasses; beat until combined.
In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water. Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking-soda mixture, then remaining half of flour mixture. Mix in chocolate; turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Pat dough out to about 1 inch thick; seal with wrap; refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or more.
Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Roll dough into 1 1/2- inch balls; place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Yield: 12 serving

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Peanut Butter Blossoms

½ c margarine or butter
½ c sugar
½ c brown sugar (packed)
1 egg
2 T milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 ¾ c flour
1 t soda
½ t salt
Chocolate candy (kisses or Dove promises)
Shallow bowl with sugar

Cream together margarine with sugars. Add egg, milk and vanilla and stir well. Add dry ingredients. Chill dough for at least an hour. Shape dough in to balls about the size of a walnut. Roll in a dish of sugar. Bake at 375 until golden brown. While still on cookie sheet place a piece of chocolate candy in the center and press lightly in to the cookie. The recipe calls for kisses; but I use Dove promises because I like them better and can make both dark and milk chocolate cookies. Makes about 48 cookies.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are my family''s most requested cookies at Christmas.

Candy Cane Cookies
1 c butter or margarine
1 c powdered sugar
1 egg
1 ½ tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla
2 ½ c flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp red food coloring
Optional toppings
½ c crushed peppermint candy
½ c granulated sugar
Or:
Powdered sugar

Mix butter, sugar, egg and flavorings thoroughly. Stir in dry ingredients. Divide dough in ½ and blend the red food coloring into one half.

Roll 4” strips (using about 1 tsp dough) from each color. For smooth strips, roll them back and forth on a lightly floured board. Place strips side by side, press together and twist them like a rope. For best results complete cookies one at a time. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and curve the top of the strip down to form the handle of the cane.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 9 minutes until lightly browned. While still warm remove from the baking sheet and sprinkle with one of the optional toppings. I use the powdered sugar.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is an old family recipe. At Christmas I use the red and green M&M’s in place of chocolate chips

Chocolate Chip Cookies

½ c butter or margarine
1 tsp vanilla
½ c sugar
¼ c brown sugar packed
1 well beaten egg
1 ½ c flour
½ t salt
½ t soda
7 or 8 oz chocolate chips
Cream the butter, vanilla, sugar and egg together. Stir in dry ingredients and mix well. Add the chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoon size on a greased cookie sheet and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes until lightly golden brown. Try to eat just one hot one. Ha ha.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marcy and others! thank you; I am looking forward to making these for a cookie exchange!
35.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask someone who used to weigh 320 pounds for cookie recipes; and you are going to get a few. Ha Ha.

These are yummy and soft cookies. My DH old boss used to request these even after my husband no longer worked there. We''ll see her in a store and she''ll ask me if I still make these cookies.

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 c sugar
1 c butter
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c sour cream
4 1/4 c flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp baking powder

Cream together sugar, butter, eggs, salt and vanilla. Add sour cream and mix well. Stir in dry ingredients. You may need to add a little more flour to make a stiff dough. Chill dough for at least an hour. Roll out dough on a floured cutting board. We like thick, soft cookies so my dough is about 1/3 inch when I roll it out. If you like thin, crisp cookies roll the dough thinner. Sprinkle with colored sugar before baking (if desired). Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes (or until lightly golden browned).

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rolo Cookies

1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar (packed)
1 c butter
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 3/4 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 c cocoa
Rolos

Cream sugars and butter. Add vanilla and eggs. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Roll dough in balls and push a rolo in the center and cover back up with dough. To make flatter cookies you can pat them down 1/2 way during baking. Melt about 8 oz of white chocolate chips and drizzle over cookies

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Molasses Crinkles

3/4 c butter
1 c brown sugar (packed)
1 egg
1/4 c molasses
2 1/4 c flour
2 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp ginger

Mix butter, sugar, egg and molasses thoroughly. Add dry ingredients and stir well. Chill dough. Roll dough in 1 1/4 inch balls. Dip the top in a bowl of sugar. Place balls 3" apart on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes. Bake until just lightly browned.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snickerdoodles

1 c butter
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 c flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt

Topping
2 T sugar
2 T cinnamon

Cream together butter, sugar and eggs. Stir in dry ingredients. Shape in to 1 inch balls. Roll in mixture of sugar and cinnamon. Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes till lightly golden brown.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This really isn''t a cookie but I make these for Christmas.

Easy Peanut Butter Fudge

1 12 oz package of peanut butter chips
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 c butter
1 6 oz package semi sweet chcolate morsels

Put the PB chips, 1 cup of the sweetened condensed milk and 2 T butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat for one minute at a time and stir until melted. Spread mixture in wax paper lined 8" pan. Put chocolate chips, remaining sweetened condensed milk and the remaining butter in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave and stir well. Spread chocolate mixture on top of PB mixture. Chill. Turn fudge on cutting board and cut in to 1 inch pieces.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results