shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are loving "Dark" on Neflix right now. Netflix's first original German series. We binge watched 8 episodes in 2 days LOL. It's captivating and as a plus I am learning some German. Check it out it's wunderbar.:appl:

Honorable mention goes to Offsrpring...well actually more than an honorable mention because this is one of my favorite Netflix series so far... Offspring. Which we were binge watching till we found Dark. LOVE Offsring so much and as soon as we finish the one and only season of Dark we will continue with Offsring. I think we are on season 4 already and all I can say is I LOVE LOVE LOVE Nina. My dh thinks I have a lot of Nina in me uh oh cause she is a bit neurotic and has quite the imagination but she is a lovable neurotic so I guess that's OK.:oops2::lol:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I'm on the last episode of Dark! It's amazing, and, confusing.

Adored Offspring. I watched all the seasons. I also liked Godless. I've always had a soft spot for westerns and thought it was a good one.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really hidden, but I finished The Punisher with H this weekend. Personally I think it was one of my favourite 'back stories' yet! Such amazing actors as well.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Shot in the Dark"

The premise seems gruesome but I found it to have interesting analysis of our society.
Great writing, acting, editing.
Interesting character development.

I was up till 4 AM this morning binge watching episodes.

TV news channels love showing footage of low-brow things like accidents, car chases, fires, violence, natural disasters, fire hydrants that get crashed into resulting in a 150 foot vertical column of water.
Someone has to shoot all that video, and it's not the news stations.
The freelance camerapeople who do are called stringers.
They park at night listening to 911 and police scanners.
When a call comes in, that may have video footage the stations will buy, they race to be first on the scene to shoot/edit/upload the story.
Then they call all the stations to offer it.
The stations get footage from all the stringers and buy only the best and only that stringer gets paid.
Very competitive.

Interesting to hear the stringers talk about what footage will sell and what won't.
For instance if a gang member shoots someone who isn't a gang member (especially a woman, old person, pregnant woman, child) it's news.
If the victim is also a gang member then it's not news.
Stations won't buy it because the public doesn't care.
So when the stringer hears on the police scanner that the perp and victim are both gang members the stringer doesn't even start her/his engine.
How bout that? :nono:

Also, being a photographer, it's fascinating hearing the stringers talk about camera angles and how they pick what to shoot and how to shoot it to make better images which sell.

I was very surprised how fascinating this profession is and how such a reality show could captivate snobby Kenny.

Last edited:

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
"Shot in the Dark"
Also, being a photographer, it's fascinating hearing the stringers talk about camera angles and how they pick what to shoot and how to shoot it to make better images which sell.

I was very surprised how fascinating this profession is and how such a reality show could captivate snobby Kenny.

Ooooh, that sounds right up my alley. My background is design/advertising and I've always been very interested in which images are chosen for news reports, how they may be manipulated (natively in setting up the shot or in post-processing) and how that affect the story. Will put it in my queue! Thanks!

erislynn

Shiny_Rock
I know this is a Netflix thread but if you like period dramas, I just finished The Rise of Catherine the Great on Amazon Prime and loved it. It's right up there with the recent wave of dramas about royal history including The Crown seasons 1 & 2 and Victoria.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoo lololol! I'm starting season 3 now. It's a canceled show. Let me just say that you'll be giving the side eye to your pets while you're watching it :lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this is a Netflix thread but if you like period dramas, I just finished The Rise of Catherine the Great on Amazon Prime and loved it. It's right up there with the recent wave of dramas about royal history including The Crown seasons 1 & 2 and Victoria.

Hi there. We actually have an amazon prime thread plus everything else category. I’m on the go and on my phone so don’t know how to link it. But just FYI. Thanks for your recommendation. I’m going to add it to my watch list. :appl:

Just started The Crown season 2. So glad it’s back!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoo lololol! I'm starting season 3 now. It's a canceled show. Let me just say that you'll be giving the side eye to your pets while you're watching it :lol-2:

Haha ok you’ve hooked me. Adding this too. I’m a little nervous because our kitties sometimes look at us like they want to eat us now so haha let’s see how I feel after watching Zoo. :lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, because of you guys we started watching The Punisher.

Really enjoying it so far. It's not perfect there are some little things that bother me about it - there is something about the actor's posture that puts me off. I know that sounds weird, but I want him to look kickass and sometimes his posture isn't good and that kills it for me.

For some reason I could not get into "Stranger Things" again. I was so excited it was back but tried to watch the first episode of season 2 and just couldn't get into it.

Have Dark and Shot in The Dark on my list.

The Good Place too, but I'm really picky about funny stuff so we'll see.

Can't wait to start season 2 of The Crown! :appl:

We really enjoyed El Chapo - we thought it was better than Narcos.

Caught a little bit of Boss Baby and it seemed pretty good. Love Alec Baldwin.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We're tearing through Shot in the Dark, thanks @kenny for the suggestion. Also have added Dark and Zoo to the list.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
OMG. Okay, so I started Offspring and I just finished season 4. What season are you on? It has been a mostly fun rollercoaster. Mostly. I am just beginning season 5 reluctantly...

I got really busy and sort of bogged down in-- not sure what season it was, but the one after Patrick... well, you know what happened. I am planning to go back to it.

We really loved a Swedish series called The Bonus Family and are now desperate for a season 2.

I'll look for Dark.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently finished watching "The Glitch" - I'm so excited for upcoming seasons!
It starts off with people long dead coming back to life and crawling out of the ground. We don't know why or how they are back. It's really good.
We loved this series. I cannot wait for it to return! I think it will be returning because if I remember correctly I didn't start watching it till I made sure there was a second season...hope I got that right. Really good series!
Glitch is back for S2!
Started watching it this weekend. Looking forward to more.

Also finally started Supernatural. There are like 12 seasons and the shows are an hour (or ~43m) so it will take a while to get through!

I forget if I mentioned finishing it, but I REALLY enjoyed Broadchurch. Only 2 seasons, but so fantastic. The new Doctor Who (and one of the old ones!) are actually main characters in it. Super well written and really hooked me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glitch is back for S2!
Started watching it this weekend. Looking forward to more.

Also finally started Supernatural. There are like 12 seasons and the shows are an hour (or ~43m) so it will take a while to get through!

I forget if I mentioned finishing it, but I REALLY enjoyed Broadchurch. Only 2 seasons, but so fantastic. The new Doctor Who (and one of the old ones!) are actually main characters in it. Super well written and really hooked me.

I tried watching season 2 of Glitch and can you believe it? I forgot too much from season 1 so now before I watch the second season I have to start all over again with season 1. Not sure I am going to go to the effort. Please let me know if it is worth it telephone, thanks!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got really busy and sort of bogged down in-- not sure what season it was, but the one after Patrick... well, you know what happened. I am planning to go back to it.

We really loved a Swedish series called The Bonus Family and are now desperate for a season 2.

I'll look for Dark.

I don't want to give anything away in case someone is reading who didn't get up to season 5 of Offspring but I am bummed about Patrick. :(2

Enjoying season 2 of The Crown.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just now catching up on The Crown.

Yes, poor Patrick, I was bawling! I finished watching the series. I don't think it's coming back.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just now catching up on The Crown.

Yes, poor Patrick, I was bawling! I finished watching the series. I don't think it's coming back.

Noooooo, oh I wish they would have 10 more seasons. I LOVE Offspring! I am only on season 5 so will savor each episode. I am sad they aren't bringing it back. Such a good series. LOVE LOVE LOVE Nina. And I loved Patrick too.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried watching season 2 of Glitch and can you believe it? I forgot too much from season 1 so now before I watch the second season I have to start all over again with season 1. Not sure I am going to go to the effort. Please let me know if it is worth it telephone, thanks!
:lol: Too funny! I'm always so bad with new seasons if the old ones were a while ago. i usually just google a synopsis though. I will take this bullet for you and let you know if its worth it!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally worth rewatching glitch season 1. I love these Australian shows on Netflix.

Wentworth I'm dying for the new season!

Thanks for turning me on to Offspring! Ermagherd major crush on Mitch! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally worth rewatching glitch season 1. I love these Australian shows on Netflix.

Wentworth I'm dying for the new season!

Thanks for turning me on to Offspring! Ermagherd major crush on Mitch! :love:

Yesssss LOVE Mitch too! I love every character on this show. It is such a good series.
As much as I love Mitch though my heart belongs to Patrick. Sigh.
:love:

But I have to admit I have the biggest crush on Nina.8-):cheeky::appl:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3868.PNG Mind Hunter has been really good. It was just renewed for season 2. (About FBI making profiles of serial killers)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and if anyone has amazon prime shows.... "ritual" documentary: saints vs falcons (aired last Thursday before the game, 14 minutes long)... I'm in it lol. It was filmed (saints portion) at our tailgate. I was desperately avoiding the cameras so my jaw dropped when I saw me. :eek2:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok let's just cement the fact that Mick in Offspring is my dream boat!!!! Luscious head of blonde locks, a musician, and this song showing his sense of humor... Bonus - I don't have a sister!!!!

Just finished season 1. I need a Mick.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok let's just cement the fact that Mick in Offspring is my dream boat!!!! Luscious head of blonde locks, a musician, and this song showing his sense of humor... Bonus - I don't have a sister!!!!

Just finished season 1. I need a Mick.

OK I am on it!

And Mick is the sweetest. My dh said I like him because he's a bad boy but no he's the ultimate good boy IMO. Sweet like sugar and so easy on the eyes...something exciting is developing in late season 5 Pinto...stay tuned and fingers crossed.

By the way he’s even better as a brunette. ;))

mickholland.jpg

mickholland.jpeg

Yummy.

Last edited:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to say since we're talking yummy...

James Franco. Thinking about him because he hosted SNL last week.

The Good Place is so cute. I watch it when I go in to play and spend time with Mousey. Perfect show for that. Kristen Bell is so cute, first time I think I ever saw her in anything.

Enjoying The Punisher.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to say since we're talking yummy...

James Franco. Thinking about him because he hosted SNL last week.

The Good Place is so cute. I watch it when I go in to play and spend time with Mousey. Perfect show for that. Kristen Bell is so cute, first time I think I ever saw her in anything.

Enjoying The Punisher.
If Veronica Mars is on Netflix watch it! Kristen Bell was phenomenal in that show! Fans were so diehard they contributed to a kickstarter to get a movie made years after the series was canceled.

P

PierreBear

Started watching Godless based on some commentary heard on NPR. Great western show on Netflix. Only a few episodes into it though!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved Veronica Mars. I own the set, lol. I very much enjoyed Godless. I actually grew up liking westerns, so it was a good fit for me. I recently watched all of Bates Motel. I was pleasantly surprised. The acting was phenomenal. Glad I didn't pass it up based on the subject. It was totally different that what I thought it was about.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Confession time - I watched Glitter Force and Glitter Force Doki Doki bc the theme song sounds like they're singing "glitter farts"...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results