carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks T. :kiss:

I know you have higher tolerance for reality for the sake of learning/informing yourself so I really appreciate you giving me the details.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't watch the disappointments room. It was disappointing!

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I started a funny show called Life in Pieces - I found it on Netflix but it's a CBS show, and has a great cast.

It's a good show and cast. I'm glad it is on Netflix.

I'm so glad Life in Pieces is on Netflix! Thanks for the head's up. I've heard such good things about this show.

So, I started (and finished!) season 1 of Life in Pieces and enjoyed it, thanks for the recommendation!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elizabethness glad you enjoyed it!

We just finished 13 Reasons Why. IDK what I think. Still processing it. So many missed opportunities along the way for the main character. It is hard to believe all these missteps happened and hard to swallow it. But not being in the psychiatric profession what do I know about this issue. We are watching the after show comments right now which I am finding very informative. What a world we live in now though where everything is about social media. It's scary.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, and anyone else, there is a behind the scenes type of documentary called 13 Reasons Why: Beyond the Reasons. It gives more information about the series. It's only about 30 minutes long. 13 Reasons Why was adapted from a YA book. I don't think it's a series that young teens should watch alone necessarily. It's something IMO that needs to be talked about with parents, in a perfect world. Not every kid has that opportunity, and I can see how this is triggering material.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, and anyone else, there is a behind the scenes type of documentary called 13 Reasons Why: Beyond the Reasons. It gives more information about the series. It's only about 30 minutes long. 13 Reasons Why was adapted from a YA book. I don't think it's a series that young teens should watch alone necessarily. It's something IMO that needs to be talked about with parents, in a perfect world. Not every kid has that opportunity, and I can see how this is triggering material.

Thanks Lyra. We watched that too. Very interesting. I agree- I think young people (including teens) would benefit from watching with their parents.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not checked back through this thread but I recently found and am hooked on the PBS Masterpiece series Poldark on Amazon Prime. I am a huge fan of good period series and movies. There are only two seasons that I can see available and I will start season 2 today. Might have to check my Directv to DVR it on PBS.

Info-
Ross Poldark returns home after American Revolutionary War and rebuilds his life with a new business venture, making new enemies and finding a new love where he least expects it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/poldark/

This is the second time the BBC have dramatised Poldark. IMVHO the original series back in the 1979's was better. The books by Winston Graham are a wonderful read, and go much further than the original series. Sadly, several of the original cast are no longer around, but Angharad Rees, who played Demelza was just fantastic in the part. It's hard for me seeing the new dramatisation, to like it as much, but it is a very good watch, as is Victoria.

P

PierreBear

Started watching Life in Pieces based off of recommendations listed here. Enjoying it so thanks for listing it on the thread. If anyone likes Modern Family, they should like this series too!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just finished the series Dear White People today. Loved it. Very thought provoking.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sense8 season 2 is incredible!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haha we watched and enjoyed Season 1 when it came out and started watching Season 2 the other night and quickly realized we had to go back and start Season 1 all over again! OMG we are getting old and our memory is failing! So we are a few episodes into Season 1 (again) and will re-watch the whole first season and then start with Season 2 again.

Just finished the series Dear White People today. Loved it. Very thought provoking.

Thanks for the recommendation. Next on the list.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why did it take me so long to watch Chewing Gum? I watched the first 3 episodes last night and was HOWLING with laughter!

P

PierreBear

Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce was a fun series to watch on Netflix. Similar to Sex in the City (come on.. the narrator also has to be a writer too and she has a powerful lawyer friend?!). But it's a dynamic of female friendships navigating life together. Outfits are fantastic! Also one lady gets engaged and her ring looks huuggeee and wish I could know more about it.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce was a fun series to watch on Netflix. Similar to Sex in the City (come on.. the narrator also has to be a writer too and she has a powerful lawyer friend?!). But it's a dynamic of female friendships navigating life together. Outfits are fantastic! Also one lady gets engaged and her ring looks huuggeee and wish I could know more about it.

I like this series also! The main character I found slightly irritating in later seasons, but overall lovable.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 new shows to add!

Chug - It's an alcohol/travel show. Host goes around the world and finds the "local" drinks and random hilarity ensues. I watched his previous show Drinking Made Easy, and this is much along the same lines.

Bbq pitmasters championship - Okay I like food and food shows. Its a BBQ competition lol. Mostly dudes from the south. Some of them have such thick accents and slang I can barely understand them, but its so interesting! Also, because of this show, we are making ribs tomorrow.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to tell you, Family Guy is a god send as I struggle through the day to day. Nothing like a cartoon with a million episodes and lots of ridiculousness to make good background noise.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just watched a great documentary yesterday on Netflix, What's With Wheat. Really interesting if you are partial to food/health documentaries.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just watched a great documentary yesterday on Netflix, What's With Wheat. Really interesting if you are partial to food/health documentaries.
I've seen this recommended for me (because I watch all those docus), I'll have to give it a go!

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock

Haha we watched and enjoyed Season 1 when it came out and started watching Season 2 the other night and quickly realized we had to go back and start Season 1 all over again! OMG we are getting old and our memory is failing! So we are a few episodes into Season 1 (again) and will re-watch the whole first season and then start with Season 2 again.

Thanks for the recommendation. Next on the list.

Hate to break it to you but I heard yesterday that Sense8 was cancelled.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/1/15725760/netflix-sense8-canceled-no-season-three

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hate to break it to you but I heard yesterday that Sense8 was cancelled.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/1/15725760/netflix-sense8-canceled-no-season-three

I actually stopped watching it. I tried re-watching the first season because when we started watching the second season I didn't remember too much. My dh enjoyed the show more than I did and I think I wasn't paying attention when we originally started watching the first season which is why I hardly remembered what happened during the first season and that's why we went back to re-watch it before starting the 2nd season. But after rewatching the first 2 episodes of the first season I sort of fizzled out. But I am sorry they canceled it because a lot of people (dh included) enjoyed the show a lot.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new season of House of Cards is now on Netflix. It's crazy.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new season of House of Cards is now on Netflix. It's crazy.
I'm finding it a bit too much like real life and the current administration to enjoy it completely. The difference between Francis Underwood and the current administration though, is a bit like comparing a James Bond type (Underwood) to one more like Inspector Clouseau...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm finding it a bit too much like real life and the current administration to enjoy it completely. The difference between Francis Underwood and the current administration though, is a bit like comparing a James Bond type (Underwood) to one more like Inspector Clouseau...

Haha yes that's a great analogy.:lol: Well, I cannot believe it, but we finished the whole season already. It felt shorter than the usual season because I think we watched it in about 3 nights. I won't give anything away but overall I don't feel it was one of their stronger seasons.

Now hopefully waiting for Orange is the New Black and hoping it is a good season. It's coming out around June 9th I think.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha yes that's a great analogy.:lol: Well, I cannot believe it, but we finished the whole season already. It felt shorter than the usual season because I think we watched it in about 3 nights. I won't give anything away but overall I don't feel it was one of their stronger seasons.

Now hopefully waiting for Orange is the New Black and hoping it is a good season. It's coming out around June 9th I think.

So funny you should say that about HOC. I just walked away halfway through the last season. It just got tiresome to me, as the characters all seemed to be becoming unrealistically depraved and amoral. (OMG, I sound like an old lady! :lol:)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So funny you should say that about HOC. I just walked away halfway through the last season. It just got tiresome to me, as the characters all seemed to be becoming unrealistically depraved and amoral. (OMG, I sound like an old lady! :lol:)

No not at all. My thoughts exactly. It was tiresome and over the top ridiculous and incredibly amoral just like you wrote. I mean really??? I felt like it was a crazy season finale episode of Grey's Anatomy lol. :lol::lol::lol: You know. Over the rails cuckoo.

And no insult to Grey's Anatomy. I have always been a fan but OMG the season finales are getting ridiculous. Cmon Shonda. How many horrible things can happen to the same group of people over and over and over. Give them a break!:cheeky:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone caught An Idiot Abroad?

I watched the episode where he travels to India and I found it absolutely hysterical.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone caught An Idiot Abroad?

I watched the episode where he travels to India and I found it absolutely hysterical.
Yes! I found it entertaining, but I really started to hate Karl. I thought I was a Debbie downer LOL - not even close compared to this guy!

I also started watching 13 reasons. I don't love it. Only half way through, and since I have a problem with not finishing things I WILL finish it. Maybe I'll get more into it.

I've also wanted to watch House of cards too. My SIL raves about it, and we like a few of the same shows so she thinks I'll enjoy it. Perhaps the next one.

On a slightly terrible note, my nieces found Degrassi on Netflix. Lolol. Degrassi. It's terrible, but I do enjoy how they work in a main 'message' to each episode. One was about consent, a few about homosexuality, racism, feminism, etc.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw Hidden Figures and it was wonderful!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 new shows to add!

Chug - It's an alcohol/travel show. Host goes around the world and finds the "local" drinks and random hilarity ensues. I watched his previous show Drinking Made Easy, and this is much along the same lines.

Bbq pitmasters championship - Okay I like food and food shows. Its a BBQ competition lol. Mostly dudes from the south. Some of them have such thick accents and slang I can barely understand them, but its so interesting! Also, because of this show, we are making ribs tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendation telephone89! My husband works in the food and beverage industry, so I bet he will love Chug!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results