shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the recommendation of 13 reasons why - I started it and watched the first episode. Very dark idea, but I'm intrigued....

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just popping back in here to say if you haven't watch Big Little Lies, WATCH IT! I just finished it, and I'm telling you...It's a doozy of an ending!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm watching marvel's iron fist. Not bad.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watched the first episode of 13 Reasons Why. I got a *little* intrigued at one point but not enough to keep going to Episode 2.

I'm kind of surprised because I do find the topics the show touches on (and will go into) interesting but there was something about the show that just didn't do it for me.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just binged watched "13 Reasons Why." Difficult to watch at times but I thought it was really well done. I hope it brings some issues to the forefront. Now onto the next series...once I figure out what that will be.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started a funny show called Life in Pieces - I found it on Netflix but it's a CBS show, and has a great cast.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm trying to watch Archer but I see the man and hear Bob's (of bobs burgers) voice! It's not coming together for me!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started a funny show called Life in Pieces - I found it on Netflix but it's a CBS show, and has a great cast.

It's a good show and cast. I'm glad it is on Netflix.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to say we just started watching West Wing on Netflix last night. We never watched it when it was on Network TV so catching it this time around and it is OK. Jury still out for me on the show. A little dated I think but I like the actors so I am giving it a chance. But sadly it is no House of Cards.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad Life in Pieces is on Netflix! Thanks for the head's up. I've heard such good things about this show.

P

PierreBear

Not sure if this got brought up already in the thread and might be slightly off topic but has everyone's Netflix settings changed from being able to rate things on a 5 star basis to now just giving it a "like and a dislike?" I haven't lived with it long enough to see if it gives you better recommendations, however, I kinda miss seeing the ratings as it helped me know which ones to give a try. Anyone feel like this change is for the better?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this got brought up already in the thread and might be slightly off topic but has everyone's Netflix settings changed from being able to rate things on a 5 star basis to now just giving it a "like and a dislike?" I haven't lived with it long enough to see if it gives you better recommendations, however, I kinda miss seeing the ratings as it helped me know which ones to give a try. Anyone feel like this change is for the better?
It also bothers me too. If I wasn't totally interested in a show but it got 5* I'd be like "well I'll give it a try", and more often than not really enjoyed it! I'm also a fuddy duddy and hate change :lol: So there's that too. I'm sure I'll adjust.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to say we just started watching West Wing on Netflix last night. We never watched it when it was on Network TV so catching it this time around and it is OK. Jury still out for me on the show. A little dated I think but I like the actors so I am giving it a chance. But sadly it is no House of Cards.
DH and I ADORED West Wing. I think it took a few episodes for me to really "get into" it, since it's really character driven, but I ended up loving it. I'd say give it a few episodes to grow on you :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm trying to watch Archer but I see the man and hear Bob's (of bobs burgers) voice! It's not coming together for me!
LOL this is EXACTLY why I can't watch Bob's Burgers! I've only watched Archer and love it, and when a friend tried to show me Bob's burgers I just couldnt handle it.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok, a little warning first: this recommendation is for a very specific type of person! It is not for everyone!

Chewing Gum
is a British sitcom: A 24yo young woman--kind of a late bloomer--living with her super-religious fundamentalist family (mother is African immigrant) in public housing, who becomes desperate to lose her virginity and be more experienced. Bawdy, awkward, often flat-out gross, yet charming. Non-PC and crass like "It's Always Sunny," but the undertone seems more goodhearted than misanthropic.

I'm not sure if there are kindred out there in Pricescope-land who would appreciate something like that, but just in case wanted to mention it :) When I first started I was, like, "what the heck?!" but I was soon hooked, and binged the first two seasons over the past weekend. I really enjoyed it. My husband, not so much :lol: Luckily, we have more than one TV!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, a little warning first: this recommendation is for a very specific type of person! It is not for everyone!

Chewing Gum
is a British sitcom: A 24yo young woman--kind of a late bloomer--living with her super-religious fundamentalist family (mother is African immigrant) in public housing, who becomes desperate to lose her virginity and be more experienced. Bawdy, awkward, often flat-out gross, yet charming. Non-PC and crass like "It's Always Sunny," but the undertone seems more goodhearted than misanthropic.

I'm not sure if there are kindred out there in Pricescope-land who would appreciate something like that, but just in case wanted to mention it :) When I first started I was, like, "what the heck?!" but I was soon hooked, and binged the first two seasons over the past weekend. I really enjoyed it. My husband, not so much :lol: Luckily, we have more than one TV!

Thank you Elizbethess! I was wondering what that show was all about, and now I think I'll give it a try.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I ADORED West Wing. I think it took a few episodes for me to really "get into" it, since it's really character driven, but I ended up loving it. I'd say give it a few episodes to grow on you :)

Thank you for your recommendation lovedogs. I will definitely watch a few more episodes and probably end up getting into it like you did. I enjoy character driven shows.

Chewing Gum

Haha we watched an episode and I was like whaaat but then I was intrigued. MY dh not so much. Sounds familiar.:lol: I will watch another episode at least to give it a chance. Thank you for the endorsement.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am not a fan of the new system but it could be because it is new and I am not familiar with it and now I don't have my less than 3 stars rejection system going and feel like we are flying blind. So maybe when we "get" it we will better appreciate the new rating system but right now not a fan. Though I have to add it did have a benefit as we watched a movie (cannot remember what it was now) that I wouldn't have given a second look to and it ended up being pretty good. A scary movie that didn't have a high rating so if the Netflix star system was in place it might have been less than 2 stars and I would have definitely rejected it from the get go. So maybe that is an advantage? But you have to be willing to walk away from the movies that show you they suck within the first 15 minutes or so. If they don't get better before then they most likely aren't getting better.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a fan of the lack of an easy rating system. I think it was done because people could more easily see how much 1-2 star offerings there were on netflix. Just makes it harder to wade through the crud.

I started watching Chewing Gum. It's kind of like a trainwreck you can't look away from, lol. I love the lead actress.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starlet. Movie about an unlikely friendship between a 21 year old and 85 year old woman in L.A.; common thread is a dog named Starlet. Slow moving at first but the more I watched the more riveted I became. 9/10.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This weekend Bill Nye Saves the World starts on Netflix. I'm really looking forward to this. It sounds like a mix of science and comedy.

I'm still working on 13 Reasons Why. I'm on episode 8 and haven't had time to watch in several days.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This weekend Bill Nye Saves the World starts on Netflix. I'm really looking forward to this. It sounds like a mix of science and comedy.
Ooh thanks for the reminder! I'm hoping it shows up on Canadian Netflix. I love bill Nye haha.

I also heard there was a new season of 'great british baking show' on Netflix but haven't had time to look. One of my favourite food shows :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you liked Adam Sandler's typical Adam Sandler characters you might like Sandy Wexler. I watched it last night. For me the best part was all the other actors, either in cameo appearances or heavier roles--Jennifer Hudson never disappoints. I loved her in SATC--The Movie 2. Anyway the movie was cute, pretty tame, and fun to watch.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm on season 3 of rectify! I see familiar faces in this series. Teddy Jr was one of the popular dudes in A Walk to Remember. Amantha is in that time hopping show on NBC. Tawny was the White Queen. Lololol!

So sad...so moving...

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you liked Adam Sandler's typical Adam Sandler characters you might like Sandy Wexler. I watched it last night. For me the best part was all the other actors, either in cameo appearances or heavier roles--Jennifer Hudson never disappoints. I loved her in SATC--The Movie 2. Anyway the movie was cute, pretty tame, and fun to watch.
how about that! I watched it last night too. It WAS fun. It got terrible reviews, but I thought it was very entertaining, so I'm glad I watched it before looking at the reviews. btw, Sandy Wexler was a real person.

I love "My Old Lady" and have watched it twice. Set in Paris with Kevin Kline and Maggie Smith. A bit dark at times, but outweighed by "funny and feel good".

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just binged watched "13 Reasons Why." Difficult to watch at times but I thought it was really well done. I hope it brings some issues to the forefront. Now onto the next series...once I figure out what that will be.

Hi Tacori, thank you and the other PSers who recommended this series. We are almost near the end. I think we are halfway through episode 11 right now. It is a bit difficult to watch some scenes and episodes but I think it is an important topic and is helpful for adolescents, teenagers and anyone dealing with difficult issues who might be watching to bring it up with their parents and professionals. So if anything gets this topic out in the open for discussion I think it is a positive move.

I thought this review was interesting and that you can almost say this about anything on TV so not sure I agree with the criticism but I am not a mental healthcare professional.

http://nypost.com/2017/05/03/school-officials-urge-warning-parents-about-13-reasons-why/

The city Department of Education is urging principals to warn parents about the Netflix series “13 Reasons Why,” which focuses on a student who commits suicide.
Officials drafted a letter to forward to parents about the popular series which reads, “If your child is talking about this series or you are aware that they are watching it, ask them what they are thinking about.
“Remind them that you are there for them and that there are school professionals always available to answer questions, to listen and to connect them with people and places to assist them with anything that challenges them.”
The letter was first reported by Chalkbeat.com
The popular series, based on a young adult novel, was recently named the most tweeted-about show of 2017. The 13 episodes discuss sexual assault, bullying, suicide and the failure of adults to address students’ concerns. It has provoked criticism from counselors, who complain it glorifies suicide.
“We do not recommend that vulnerable youth, especially those who have any degree of suicidal ideation, watch this series,” the National Association of School Psychologists said in a statement.
Netflix announced this week it would add a warning at the start of each episode as a precaution.
City education officials didn’t discourage students from watching, but emphasized that adults should be available as a sounding board.
In a May 2 note to principals, DOE officials said it’s important to prepare for conversations with students about topics raised by the show, including depression and mental health.
“We want students to know that we have resources available to support them,” reads the letter by Jaye Murray and Lois Herrera, the DOE’s executive directors of the Office of Counseling Support and Office of Safety and Youth Development, respectively.
The DOE also said it provides suicide awareness training to all schools, conducted by the Samaritans of NY.
Other jurisdictions have taken even more drastic action. A school in Alberta, Canada, is attempting to ban all talk about “13 Reasons Why,” CBC News reported.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
H wants to start 13 reasons, but I'm almost scared to watch it for being so depressing!
We are watching Narcos right now. Also incredible depressing, knowing its based on a true story and how many people he killed.

Other show I watched recently:
Pet Fooled; about the pet food industry. I knew most of it, but very eye opening.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just finished watching a BBC documentary called South Pacific on Netflix. The visuals are breathtaking but it also had a very interesting narrative. Amazing nature show and I learned a few things.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm putting Pet Food on my list* - thanks Telephone.

(*is there any animal violence/cruelty in it?)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm putting Pet Food on my list* - thanks Telephone.

(*is there any animal violence/cruelty in it?)
I would say no, but there are discussions about pet deaths (related to pet food). I did tear up hearing some of the stories, but they are real life accounts, not graphic re-creations or anything. So it's sad, but not graphic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results