shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm enjoying the new Riverdale, a very dark version of Archie comics but with actors, not a cartoon. There's only one episode a week, but I'm hooked. I grew up with Archie and Betty and Veronica comics. This is a VERY different side to all that. :cheeky:

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
lyra|1486758798|4127221 said:
I'm enjoying the new Riverdale, a very dark version of Archie comics but with actors, not a cartoon. There's only one episode a week, but I'm hooked. I grew up with Archie and Betty and Veronica comics. This is a VERY different side to all that. :cheeky:

My wife has been watching this, but I can't bring myself to watch it because it is too "Pretty Little Liars" for me.

It's interesting that Netflix has gone to the episode a week format. They are also doing that with Star which my wife and I have also been watching. If you like Empire you will like Star. I like neither.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
blackprophet|1486762793|4127238 said:

My wife has been watching this, but I can't bring myself to watch it because it is too "Pretty Little Liars" for me.

It's interesting that Netflix has gone to the episode a week format. They are also doing that with Star which my wife and I have also been watching. If you like Empire you will like Star. I like neither.

Just an FYI - Riverdale isn't a Netflix show, it's on "regular" tv - I think the CW :).

(I'm current on it, and I think it's ok, but not sure if I will be sticking with it or not).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've watched several episodes of the OA and I'm not hating it but I'm not loving it either. If we found something better I think I'd stop watching it.

Started watching The Crown (2 episodes in) and we're really enjoying it. Glad you guys recommended it I don't think I would have tried it otherwise.

Hi Kath! :wavey:

ETA: I have *no* interest in Santa Clarita. Even in the commercials/trailers it's too gory for me even though the premise is intriguing.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So we started watching Santa Clarita - it IS graphic and a bit gory, but its actually really funny and well written. I think we're 4 or 5 eps in, very much enjoying it.

Also on the list Scandal & The 100

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1486846928|4127559 said:
We've watched several episodes of the OA and I'm not hating it but I'm not loving it either. If we found something better I think I'd stop watching it.

Started watching The Crown (2 episodes in) and we're really enjoying it. Glad you guys recommended it I don't think I would have tried it otherwise.

It's only 8 eps - stick it out!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1486847013|4127561 said:

It's only 8 eps - stick it out!

OK Tel I will! :wavey:

katharath

Ideal_Rock

ETA: I have *no* interest in Santa Clarita. Even in the commercials/trailers it's too gory for me even though the premise is intriguing.

Hi CJ!! :)

Honestly, Santa Clarita is quite gory. I can see how this would turn off some viewers; it doesn't bother me *that* much unless I'm eating, but I started watching epi two while eating and pretty much turned it off right away!! I could NOT handle it while trying to eat a cheeseburger, lol.

And I am curious - if you finish the OA, tell us what you think of it. I loved it, but I have to admit that I think that if you're halfway in and not that into it, you may not be that big of a fan after all is said and done. It just seems to be one of those shows that you either connect with, or come away thinking it was just weird and silly. (My DH thought it was weird and silly, so we have differing opinions just in this household, lol).

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Riverdale I know it's on tv, but I prefer no commercials. I watch The 100 on Netflix too.

I really wanted to like Santa Clarita Diet, but I can't do it. I loved Hannibal, but I just can't handle the graphic stuff done for "fun". If she'd been a vampire, sure. Otherwise, hard pass for me. It makes my feel physically ill at this point. :sick:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm in. Totally going to watch that! The Archies were my favorites growing up!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crazy ex girlfriend - season 2 is killing it!!! Lmfao!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to this thread I started watching Santa Clarita Diet. I am obsessed (but also grossed out). Hilarious!

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
katharath|1486843027|4127535 said:
blackprophet|1486762793|4127238 said:

Just an FYI - Riverdale isn't a Netflix show, it's on "regular" tv - I think the CW :).

(I'm current on it, and I think it's ok, but not sure if I will be sticking with it or not).

Yeah I know, Star isn't a Netflix show either, its ABC I think.

I just find it interesting that they are adding an episode a week and not waiting until the season ends to add a whole season.

Another nail in the cable provider coffin.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not Netflix but loving the second season (only one episode released yet though lol) of Missing. I think it's on Showtime.
I also wish they would release all the episodes at once. I hate waiting. :!:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1487030162|4128278 said:
Crazy ex girlfriend - season 2 is killing it!!! Lmfao!!!

I never got to really watch this show beyond episode one last season because my dh didn't find it funny. But I did and thanks for the reminder. I rarely watch TV without him but I will try watching this one. Thanks Pinto!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1486414600|4124985 said:
Damn, had to go back 4 pages to find this thread!!

Some new additions:

3% - Easily one of my favourite series ever. It's a dystopian future where each 20 year old can go try out for 'the selection'. Most of the participants live in slums with little to eat. Only the top 3% make it, and get sent to the offshore - the luxury life where they won't have to worry about living conditions/food/medicine/etc. It looks like its originally filmed in Brazil and in Portuguese, but its dubbed in English. I'm sad there was only 1 season.

Paranoia - This is a british cop show, kind of like the killing, though slightly less depressing. I'm not finished it yet, but will be this week.

Also catching up on Suits, and want to start 'the santa clarita diet'.
THANK YOU telephon89 :wavey: !!!

When I first started 3%, I was like wtf I can't crochet and read subtitles at the same time! Then when you posted about it being "dubbed in English", a light bulb went off - let me check the settings and voila, ENGLISH dubbing!!! I PUFFY PUFFY PUFFY heart this show and I'm on episode 4 right now. The characters are wonderfully developed and complex in all the right ways - they feel "real". Just when you're ready to hate on someone as the "bad guy" you're shown another side of him/her, and vice versa. Eeee...!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1487086290|4128575 said:

When I first started 3%, I was like wtf I can't crochet and read subtitles at the same time! Then when you posted about it being "dubbed in English", a light bulb went off - let me check the settings and voila, ENGLISH dubbing!!! I PUFFY PUFFY PUFFY heart this show and I'm on episode 4 right now. The characters are wonderfully developed and complex in all the right ways - they feel "real". Just when you're ready to hate on someone as the "bad guy" you're shown another side of him/her, and vice versa. Eeee...!
I'm so glad!! It's one of my favourite shows, so interesting. I really want to know why Katharath didn't like it!!

I watched Riverdale last night. I don't like the writing (trying too hard to be clever and young maybe?) but I'm interested in the story, so I'll continue watching it.

H is watching Van Helsing(sp?). He quite enjoys it.

We also finished the Santa Clarita diet. Definitely gory, but its soo funny. I like the writing in this one.

Off to find my next show I guess!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started Santa Clarita Diet, and I just can't watch it - it's way too gory for me - my stomach turned numerous times in the first episode.

I forgot that I watched "Girls," on HBO a couple of years ago, but recently went back to watch season 5, and am watching season 6 now in real time. I really like that show, although some parts are really awkward to watch - Lena Dunham is an amazing actor and writer.

I do like the Riverdale show, although I agree that the writing is a little "Pretty Little Liars," but I'll keep watching because I like the mystery of it and I loved those comic books when I was little.

There's a new show starting on HBO on Sunday night called "Big Little Lies," I set a recording for it, because the cast looks AMAZING - Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern, Nicole Kidman, and several others. It's based off a best selling novel - It's not Netflix, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
violet3|1487428347|4130451 said:
I started Santa Clarita Diet, and I just can't watch it - it's way too gory for me - my stomach turned numerous times in the first episode.

I forgot that I watched "Girls," on HBO a couple of years ago, but recently went back to watch season 5, and am watching season 6 now in real time. I really like that show, although some parts are really awkward to watch - Lena Dunham is an amazing actor and writer.

I do like the Riverdale show, although I agree that the writing is a little "Pretty Little Liars," but I'll keep watching because I like the mystery of it and I loved those comic books when I was little.

There's a new show starting on HBO on Sunday night called "Big Little Lies," I set a recording for it, because the cast looks AMAZING - Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern, Nicole Kidman, and several others. It's based off a best selling novel - It's not Netflix, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thank you violet for the HBO recommendation! I have now put Big Little Lies on my TIVO list and cannot wait!

I am a big fan of Girls but my dh not so much lol. I love Lena Dunham. She is so smart and funny and perceptive and confident and cool and I have a girl crush on her. :love: :appl: Love you Lena!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love Netflix period pieces. Went through

The Tudors
Reign
The Medicis

Also watched a great climbing movie The Summit, about the accident on K2.

Also, rewatched Spotlight again. Such an amazing movie!!

Thank you Missy. Can't wait to get started on season three of chef's table!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved The Summit LLJsmom and I knew you would be super excited about season 3 of Chef's Table! Cannot wait. :appl:

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
I just can't remember if I have asked if anyone has been watching outlander. I'm obsessed. I'm reading all the books. These aren't even the kind of a book or books I normally read. It is now!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not checked back through this thread but I recently found and am hooked on the PBS Masterpiece series Poldark on Amazon Prime. I am a huge fan of good period series and movies. There are only two seasons that I can see available and I will start season 2 today. Might have to check my Directv to DVR it on PBS.

Info-
Ross Poldark returns home after American Revolutionary War and rebuilds his life with a new business venture, making new enemies and finding a new love where he least expects it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/poldark/

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another "not Netflix": after running out of the first season of The Crown, we started watching Victoria last night. I suspect it will be our go to show until we run out of episodes!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another "not Netflix": after running out of the first season of The Crown, we started watching Victoria last night. I suspect it will be our go to show until we run out of episodes!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1487098162|4128676 said:
PintoBean|1487086290|4128575 said:

I'm so glad!! It's one of my favourite shows, so interesting. I really want to know why Katharath didn't like it!!

I watched Riverdale last night. I don't like the writing (trying too hard to be clever and young maybe?) but I'm interested in the story, so I'll continue watching it.

H is watching Van Helsing(sp?). He quite enjoys it.

We also finished the Santa Clarita diet. Definitely gory, but its soo funny. I like the writing in this one.

Off to find my next show I guess!

Hey telephone :wavey:

Sorry, just saw this :)

I *did* like 3%!! I just said that I had some issues that kept it from being a true "favorite" of mine; overall I thought it was very solid though, and I will watch the next season. I guess I just felt some disappointment in the main "villain" of the show, particularly in the last episode - I was hoping for more, somehow. I thought he ended up coming off as shallower than I hoped for. The show started off very strongly and continued that way for the most part, but the ending was a bit weak, for me. I don't want to say too much, to keep this spoiler free. But I really did like the show :)

I think you and I are in agreement on Riverdale; that's how I feel at this point, too.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Gem Queen|1487440753|4130518 said:
I just can't remember if I have asked if anyone has been watching outlander. I'm obsessed. I'm reading all the books. These aren't even the kind of a book or books I normally read. It is now!

OMG I'm a bit of an Outlander freak, I've read all of the main books (most of them OVER and OVER again). I haven't read any of the Lord John spin off stuff though.

I watched season one and really liked it, but haven't gotten around to season two yet.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
missy|1487428510|4130454 said:

Thank you violet for the HBO recommendation! I have now put Big Little Lies on my TIVO list and cannot wait!

I am a big fan of Girls but my dh not so much lol. I love Lena Dunham. She is so smart and funny and perceptive and confident and cool and I have a girl crush on her. :love: :appl: Love you Lena!

Ha! I enjoy Girls and I've made my husband watch most of it. He claims that he "hates" all of the characters, but he totally watches it with me and I can tell he enjoys the show itself, if that makes sense.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1487455503|4130589 said:

A friend of mine, whose taste in tv/movies I find reliably excellent, loves Victoria. I would like to see it at some point.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1487459166|4130612 said:
missy|1487428510|4130454 said:

Ha! I enjoy Girls and I've made my husband watch most of it. He claims that he "hates" all of the characters, but he totally watches it with me and I can tell he enjoys the show itself, if that makes sense.

I just asked my dh and he said he says he does like the show but wish there wasn't so much of Lena's nudity. He feels she does it purely for shock value. I love that she shows her body all the time because it widens the typical definition of "beauty" IMO and I LOVE that! My dh though just said he thinks it is a good show and very smart and he does enjoy watching. I guess his grimacing at her nude scenes made me think he didn't enjoy the show. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results