shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey Sharon (canuk-gal), I know you like them big...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2008 1:52:26 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 8/31/2008 1:10:42 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 8/31/2008 12:52:42 PM
HI:

Speaking of large rings I have been dreaming of that golden Jadeite on ACS website--the LARGE ring. Gosh it would be right up my alley...and I would have gotten it already if it weren''t for that, ahem, well, ring from WF I just bought......
41.gif

Sorry for the hijack.....
11.gif

cheers--Sharon
6.gif
WHAT? Now listen, you can''t just come waltzing in threads, drop a bomb like that and then leave. Spill, or at least give us a hint. I''m serious. Don''t make me smack you.
11.gif

Thanks Michelle!
HI:

Well I never would have mentioned anything, except, well, this thread DID have my name in the title......LOL
3.gif

more later as I have to go shopping now for unmentionables to wear under my new blouse......TMI???
20.gif

cheers--Sharon
LOL Surely you are done shopping now??
tapping.gif

Thank you coaters, Linda and innerkitten!

jewelerman, wow, thank you! I didn''t expect you to offer so much info, that was very nice of you! No, there are no markings on the pieces that I can see. What does "hollow wear" mean? And if the stones in the bracelet were not jade, what might they be?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I don''t think I would have enough finger real estate for that huge stone!

Love the setting; reminds me of the antiqued gold settings of the seventies that I always thought were so interesting. Of course, they were supposed to be inspired by the Victorian/Edwardian eras.

You need some Personality to go with a ring that large! Can you carry it off?
9.gif
28.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen, you naughty, you were really holding out!
11.gif
I love that brooch and that braclet!!
30.gif
swoooooon!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Ellen - what is the blue stone on the pin?

LS

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/1/2008 11:18:51 AM

Date: 8/31/2008 1:52:26 PM

Date: 8/31/2008 1:10:42 PM

Date: 8/31/2008 12:52:42 PM
HI:

Speaking of large rings I have been dreaming of that golden Jadeite on ACS website--the LARGE ring. Gosh it would be right up my alley...and I would have gotten it already if it weren''t for that, ahem, well, ring from WF I just bought......
41.gif

Sorry for the hijack.....
11.gif

cheers--Sharon
6.gif
WHAT? Now listen, you can''t just come waltzing in threads, drop a bomb like that and then leave. Spill, or at least give us a hint. I''m serious. Don''t make me smack you.
11.gif

Thanks Michelle!
HI:

Well I never would have mentioned anything, except, well, this thread DID have my name in the title......LOL
3.gif

more later as I have to go shopping now for unmentionables to wear under my new blouse......TMI???
20.gif

cheers--Sharon
LOL Surely you are done shopping now??
tapping.gif
HI:

Wellllll, just a hint then MIss Ellen as this is your thread; since my 23rd anniversay is coming up shortly I thought I''d get a new one of these...it is something couples exchange after taking their vows...

Now back to the regular programming!
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2008 12:05:26 PM
HI:

Wellllll, just a hint then MIss Ellen as this is your thread; since my 23rd anniversay is coming up shortly I thought I'd get a new one of these...it is something couples exchange after taking their vows...

Now back to the regular programming!
9.gif

cheers--Sharon
6.gif
Ok, I'll wait for your thread.
11.gif
slider_sigh.gif

Holly, I won't lie, I don't.
9.gif
25.gif

Skippers, thankies! (and I'm still holding out)
31.gif

LS, the pin is an Amethyst (as far as I know), it looks more purple in real life. I just didn't capture it in those pics.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2008 12:20:13 PM
6.gif
Ok, I''ll wait for your thread.
11.gif
slider_sigh.gif

Holly, I won''t lie, I don''t.
9.gif
25.gif

Skippers, thankies! (and I''m still holding out)
31.gif

LS, the pin is an Amethyst (as far as I know), it looks more purple in real life. I just didn''t capture it in those pics.

Thanks Ellen....sorry to interrupt the thread!

Now back to regular programming...........
9.gif
A few of us around here suffer from (well, not really suffer!) PriceScopusInterruptus...
9.gif

LS

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2008 12:23:20 PM
Author: LostSapphire

6.gif
Ok, I''ll wait for your thread.
11.gif
slider_sigh.gif

Holly, I won''t lie, I don''t.
9.gif
25.gif

31.gif

LS, the pin is an Amethyst (as far as I know), it looks more purple in real life. I just didn''t capture it in those pics.

Thanks Ellen....sorry to interrupt the thread!

Now back to regular programming...........
9.gif
A few of us around here suffer from (well, not really suffer!) PriceScopusInterruptus...
9.gif

LS
lol.gif
Love it! And you are not interrupting, ask anything you''d like!
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Skippers, thankies! (and I'm still holding out)
31.gif
1237399ifetfs3eq4.gif
How did I know that, *Skippers isn't talking to you*
stickouttongue.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2008 12:37:05 PM
Author: Skippy123

31.gif
1237399ifetfs3eq4.gif
How did I know that, *Skippers isn''t talking to you*
stickouttongue.gif
lol.gif
Love that emotie.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2008 12:41:54 PM

Date: 9/1/2008 12:37:05 PM
Author: Skippy123

31.gif
1237399ifetfs3eq4.gif
How did I know that, *Skippers isn''t talking to you*
stickouttongue.gif
lol.gif
Love that emotie.
LOL, did you know how long it took me to hunt both those down!! hehe Okay, you better fess up soon, Missy!
31.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, great pieces. I want to go snooping in your family safe deposit box! Please do post those cameos, you know I love cameos.

I don''t have any info to add beyond what Jewelerman told you, except maybe to clarify the term "holloware." I think what Jewelerman means is that the pin is hollow, so if it gets crushed you can''t fix it. I have a very similar one that''s damaged. I''ll post some pictures so you can see what I mean.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my similar pin. You can see how it''s made of gold-filled brass--if you look at the edges (particularly the little spheres at the top) you can see where the gold has rubbed off. The stone is set with stamped brass prongs. I suspect the stone is probably glass rather than amethyst.

pinforellenfront.JPG

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Back view. You can see how the pin came off at some point and has been soldered on. The T-shaped hinge and C-shaped clasp are typical of the Victorian period. This brooch is a watch pin; you can see the hook for hooking on your watch.

pinforellenback.JPG

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
And here''s the side. You can see how the brooch is made in two pieces which are separating. It''s hollow inside.

pinforellenside.JPG

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 1:17:03 PM
Author: glitterata
Here''s my similar pin. You can see how it''s made of gold-filled brass--if you look at the edges (particularly the little spheres at the top) you can see where the gold has rubbed off. The stone is set with stamped brass prongs. I suspect the stone is probably glass rather than amethyst.
Its interesting that both of you ladies have pins that are from the same period and so close in style...the details...the rope wrapped purple stone ect...shows how popular and widely made this style pin was at the time period...thanks for the perfect pictures on hollow ware damage.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
wheres the cameos?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 2:13:58 PM
Author: jewelerman
wheres the cameos?
lol They're in the bank box. I promise to get pics of them soon!

glitter, thanks for explaining the holloware. You said you suspect your stone may be glass, what makes you think that? Just wondering if mine is....I admittedly know zilch about colored stones.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2008 11:26:39 AM

Date: 9/3/2008 2:13:58 PM
wheres the cameos?
lol They''re in the bank box. I promise to get pics of them soon!

glitter, thanks for explaining the holloware. You said you suspect your stone may be glass, what makes you think that? Just wondering if mine is....I admittedly know zilch about colored stones.
It is possible that your stone is glass...just like today, cut glass was used in better costume jewelry to keep price down.The discoloration on your piece could be a hint that the piece is gold filled or heavy gold plate.The small holes at the end of the piece indicate that it is hollow ware.Either way i really like your pin.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks jewelerman. So, how do we know the ring/earrings/bracelet are real? Or do we?

I may have a whole deposit box full of fakes at this rate.
lol.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Don''t think of them as fakes, think of them as genuine antique costume jewelry.

I''m not entirely sure why I think mine is glass--it''s just a feeling I have. I guess it''s a combination of the big size and good color in a mass-produced setting made of base material (brass). I think if it were real, they would have used gold.

I still think it''s very pretty, though.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 10:37:02 AM
Author: glitterata
Don''t think of them as fakes, think of them as genuine antique costume jewelry.

I''m not entirely sure why I think mine is glass--it''s just a feeling I have. I guess it''s a combination of the big size and good color in a mass-produced setting made of base material (brass). I think if it were real, they would have used gold.

I still think it''s very pretty, though.
Oh it is! Forgive me, I didn''t mean to insult your piece (or mine)!!
2.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 8:14:51 AM
Thanks jewelerman. So, how do we know the ring/earrings/bracelet are real? Or do we?

lol.gif
Im sorry ,I thought we were discussing only the periods of the pieces...lets give a shot at the metals ect....keeping in mind as stated earlier that without handling the piece with light and loupe its only guess work...the ring is most likely gold...the manufacture,quality of work and engraving suggest genuine gold of possible 10 or 14 karat gold(18kt would be more yellow.)Amethysts are not an expensive gem and are available in large sizes...a strong possibility that the gem is genuine.The purple stone pin and bracelet and earrings in my opinion could be costume...the bracelet''s clasp is a inexpensive fold over style clasp and might suggest that its a less expensive piece of jewelry.the wire work bracelet is most likely sterling or low silver alloy wire.Most wire work like this is in silver ,goldfilled or karat gold.I really like the pieces you have shown and it dosnt matter to me what the are made of...but you should have them looked at by a professional...dont let them do any destructive testing(a scratch test or the use of chemicals for example)and some will be willing to do this for no charge as a customer service if you show interest in a piece in their store.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
OMG, it''s so unique. I love it. I want it.

I love how you can see the detail of the setting right through that ginormous stone.
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2008 12:53:56 AM

Date: 9/5/2008 8:14:51 AM

lol.gif
Im sorry ,I thought we were discussing only the periods of the pieces...lets give a shot at the metals ect....keeping in mind as stated earlier that without handling the piece with light and loupe its only guess work...the ring is most likely gold...the manufacture,quality of work and engraving suggest genuine gold of possible 10 or 14 karat gold(18kt would be more yellow.)Amethysts are not an expensive gem and are available in large sizes...a strong possibility that the gem is genuine.The purple stone pin and bracelet and earrings in my opinion could be costume...the bracelet''s clasp is a inexpensive fold over style clasp and might suggest that its a less expensive piece of jewelry.the wire work bracelet is most likely sterling or low silver alloy wire.Most wire work like this is in silver ,goldfilled or karat gold.I really like the pieces you have shown and it dosnt matter to me what the are made of...but you should have them looked at by a professional...dont let them do any destructive testing(a scratch test or the use of chemicals for example)and some will be willing to do this for no charge as a customer service if you show interest in a piece in their store.
Really I was just wondering about the stones, sorry I wasn''t more clear. But thank you for elaborating! I have several items (non jewelry) that I''m wanting to take to an auction house in St. Louis. They supposedly do free appraisals, not for insurance purpose. So I wonder if they could give me an idea? They have been in business since 1830, so I would imagine they''ve seen it all....

miracles, thank you! It is ginormous isn''t it??
9.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Ellen - all of these pieces are gorgeous. The jade bracelet makes me weak in the knees. I loooooove it! I think you should try to wear the ring...Just once...You may like it! You have such wonderful family jewelry.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Miranda, I''m glad you enjoyed them! And yes, I love that jade bracelet too.
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy Cr*p! (No lady here
9.gif
) The setting actually reminds me of Van Craenyest (or how ever you spell that). It's amazing. And I adore the open work and the prongs.

Ellen, if it weren't for the setting, I'd say let her have it and enjoy it since you aren't going to wear it. But that piece is really amazing and I think that only someone who loves jewelry and appreciates fine workmanship (like you do)... should really keep that. Even if it's just to hold onto for later generations. If she if forced to sell it. It's such a statement piece and unique, and of course an heirloom. I wouldn't want it sold.

Date: 8/30/2008 10:45:34 AM
To get some size perspective.
lol.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
call before you go to the auction house and ask about jewelry staff...this would be a great time to get additional (and free)advise...dont sell that great ring...it look great on you...let us know what they say...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dayum, that thing is GINORMOUS. (this is now a new word in the slang dictionary!!!) Wowza, love the color.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results