shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey Sharon (canuk-gal), I know you like them big...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I thought you might like to see this.
9.gif
25.gif
I really did think of you when I first saw it!

This belonged to either my grandmother or her sister, not sure which and I''m too lazy to ask mom right now. Originally my mom was leaving a bunch of jewelry to my sister, but her thoughts have changed on that. So I went and got the stuff out of the bank box to take inventory, and help her decide what to leave and what not to. There''s also a really pretty Amethyst pin, and some earrings and a bracelet, though the latter two are less expensive pieces. I''ll post pics of those later, my bats are charging.

Aside from the sheer volume of this ring
yikes2.gif
(I have no idea on size, let''s just say huge, lol), it''s absolutely gorgeous, at least I think so. And the prongs are awesome, I don''t recall ever seeing this type on a ring before, has anyone else? They remind me of something Leon would/could do.

So, without further ado, the ring.
30.gif

Amethyst05.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif

Amethyst 1.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Amethyst02.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Amethyst03.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look how nice and flush the prongs sit, I just adore these things!

Aprongs1.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Close up.

Amethyst40.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
To get some size perspective.
lol.gif

Amethyst6.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty table shot.

Amethyst70.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Amethyst80.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Amethyst90.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last one, in comparison to my Aqua which is 8.2 x 8.34.
6.gif

Amethyst and Aqua.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/30/2008 10:50:18 AM
Author: Ellen
6.gif

LORDY... you was not kidding about the size!! What a stunning piece. I can''t get over how flawless the stone is--it appears to have no scratches or abrasions for an older stone. Just lovely-but man, you could knock someone out with that PURPLE PEOPLE EATER!!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say it again, it''s a WHOPPER but a very preety whopper - love that purple and the setting is lovely! Nice peetures Miss!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 11:03:12 AM
Author: cushioncutnut

Date: 8/30/2008 10:50:18 AM
6.gif

LORDY... you was not kidding about the size!! What a stunning piece. I can't get over how flawless the stone is--it appears to have no scratches or abrasions for an older stone. Just lovely-but man, you could knock someone out with thatPURPLE PEOPLE EATER!!!!!
lol3.gif
That is perfect!! I was trying to "name" it something but couldn't come up with anything. You hit the nail on the head.
9.gif

It does have a very slight bit of wear under the loupe, but in real life it looks very nice. I just wish it wasn't so, massive. I would wear it if it was like, 1/4th that size.
39.gif
And thanks!

Thankies Lore!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 10:45:34 AM
lol.gif

HOLEEE MOLEEEEEEE!!

Where''s the support structure holding up your hand??

WOW that''s quite the stone!

LS

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 11:29:17 AM
Author: LostSapphire

Date: 8/30/2008 10:45:34 AM
lol.gif

HOLEEE MOLEEEEEEE!!

Where''s the support structure holding up your hand??

WOW that''s quite the stone!

LS
lol.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen, the handshot with it with your aqua for comparison: the size is perfect for you! as well as the color of the stone and the setting.

movie zombie

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks mz, I think it turned out really well too!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG!!!!!THAT THING IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the prongs too! So cool!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 12:48:53 PM
Author: FrekeChild
OMG!!!!!THAT THING IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the prongs too! So cool!
I think they just go so well with the cut of the stone.
30.gif

And yes, huge. lol

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen, That is one big whopper of a ring. It is a gorgeous color and I love it. Do you get to keep it I hope???

Linda

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 2:29:28 PM
Author: Linda W
Ellen, That is one big whopper of a ring. It is a gorgeous color and I love it. Do you get to keep it I hope???

Linda
Well, that''s what I''m battling with. I could have it, if I want. The thing is, we all know I''m not a size gal, though frankly, I''m not sure who would be a big enough size gal to wear this thing.
9.gif
And this is not something I would consider taking apart and recutting. It all goes too well together, I just can''t do it. So, my sister has an Amethyst heart necklace that came from my gramma, she would probably like to have the Amethyst pieces. The only problem is, we worry she might be forced to sell some things down the road, so I''m really torn on what to do. Let her have the whole set (which is somewhat risky), or keep it and put it in the bank box.

What would you do?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a hard decision. Knowing she may have to sell the pieces, I would keep it That way, you could pass it down to one of your sons. I am all for keeping family treasures in the family. I would hate to have any of my grandma''s rings that I have be sold. I would be heartbroken.
39.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 2:48:20 PM
Author: Linda W
That is a hard decision. Knowing she may have to sell the pieces, I would keep it That way, you could pass it down to one of your sons. I am all for keeping family treasures in the family. I would hate to have any of my grandma''s rings that I have be sold. I would be heartbroken.
39.gif
I know. I wish there were a terribly easy answer.
40.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woweeeeeee, beautiful!!!
30.gif
30.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LS, that''s exactly what I said when I saw the size..............HOLEEEEE MOLEEEEE!!! I love it, Ellen. It kinda reminds me of a Van Craenest[sp] setting. If there was even a chance of it getting sold I would keep that gorgeous puppy.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 4:54:36 PM
Author: Catmom
LS, that''s exactly what I said when I saw the size..............HOLEEEEE MOLEEEEE!!! I love it, Ellen. It kinda reminds me of a Van Craenest[sp] setting. If there was even a chance of it getting sold I would keep that gorgeous puppy.
Actually, I said something else, not HOLEEEEE MOLEEEEE but I didn''t want any of you to think I was anything less than a ''lady''....tee hee hee
31.gif

It''s really ginormous...is there any way to attach it to a chain for use as a pendant, without losing the lovely filigree work below? (ie: without comromising the integrity of the ring?)

LS

Lupinbunny

Rough_Rock
I LOVE it!

I''m currently half-heartedly searching for an amethyst of that size to make a cocktail ring! (I dread thinking of how much the setting will cost though - I don''t think you can get stock rings that take a gemstone that size, huh?)

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 10:36:31 AM
Author:Ellen
So I thought you might like to see this.
9.gif
25.gif
I really did think of you when I first saw it!

This belonged to either my grandmother or her sister, not sure which and I''m too lazy to ask mom right now. Originally my mom was leaving a bunch of jewelry to my sister, but her thoughts have changed on that. So I went and got the stuff out of the bank box to take inventory, and help her decide what to leave and what not to. There''s also a really pretty Amethyst pin, and some earrings and a bracelet, though the latter two are less expensive pieces. I''ll post pics of those later, my bats are charging.

Aside from the sheer volume of this ring
yikes2.gif
(I have no idea on size, let''s just say huge, lol), it''s absolutely gorgeous, at least I think so. And the prongs are awesome, I don''t recall ever seeing this type on a ring before, has anyone else? They remind me of something Leon would/could do.

So, without further ado, the ring.
30.gif
Ellen,
Beautiful ring!!!Lady Amythyst posted an antique ring (1900-1910ish)like this a while back...This type of ring was very popular and typical design from the early 1900s...Purple was very popular color as well as midevil styled enameling and floral engraving.
The larger stones were worn to dinner parties as statement pieces at this period of excess (the guilded age)...one thing to consider is that the ring could possibly be from the 1940s because there was a trend during this time to wear turn of the century designs set with purple stones or zircons that were showy and large with engraving and enamel...But my money is on the early 1900s for this particular piece...its a real beauty...(remember that enamel is easy to damage)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Miss Skippy!

Michelle, thank you. And yes, it does sort of have a VC flavor!

LS, lol. What''d ya say, what''d ya say???
9.gif
2.gif

Lupin, thank you! No, you''re right, something this size will definitely take a custom setting. Good luck in your search!

jewelerman, thank you, and thanks for the info. I have a feeling, that your feeling is right on the time period. I''ll try and ask my mom today whose it was and about how old it is.

I wonder if you would be so kind as to give me an opinion on another piece (necklace) she has. I will post it later today in the jewelry section, but it''s what made mom rethink everything to begin with. She seems to think it may be rather valuable.

Thanks again all!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results