shape
carat
color
clarity

Help With Three Stone DK CADs PLEASE!

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I just know me, and I’m afraid I’ll be hiding my hand all the time. I got some cheap CZ earrings off amazon. It’s a 6 pack in graduating sizes from 3-8mm so I can try a few. For $5 and guaranteed delivery Friday it was a no-brainer.

Ever since I started wearing jewelry in my teens I always wanted silver or white gold. Yellow was “old lady-ish” and dated to me, but I’ve really come to appreciate it. I’m still gonna paint it to make sure though. I may hate it! $3 spray paint is a much smaller risk than an $850 setting. Lol!

I’m thinking 5/7/5 will probably be my sweet spot, but I may surprise myself! The fact that smaller stones can sit lower appeals to me too. It’s 7.5mm tall right now, so it’s got presence for sure!

:kiss2:AMEN to that!!=)2
Also take into account that whichever color metal you choose will have an affect on your stone color too due to reflection. I am not sure what color stones you will be ordering but if you like white color DEF (non yellow toned stones) then you will want to set them in white gold for sure as setting them in yellow gold can make them look more yellow tone in color. If you are getting G/H, it varies due to the stone cut..Metal color can have an affect on the color of the stone also. If you are going much warmer in color like J/K/L/M then yellow gold would probably be best suited for those color grades.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
:kiss2:AMEN to that!!=)2
Also take into account that whichever color metal you choose will have an affect on your stone color too due to reflection. I am not sure what color stones you will be ordering but if you like white color DEF (non yellow toned stones) then you will want to set them in white gold for sure as setting them in yellow gold can make them look more yellow tone in color. If you are getting G/H, it varies due to the stone cut..Metal color can have an affect on the color of the stone also. If you are going much warmer in color like J/K/L/M then yellow gold would probably be best suited for those color grades.

Agree to all of this! I’m getting G-H stones so I think white or yellow will work :kiss2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that spray paint trick was genius! It’s so hard to imagine the final product when your looking at a green set. I’m definitely trying this next time. :cool2:

I love how the ring looks. The profile is elegant and the three stone really doesn’t look to big to me. It fits your finger quite nicely. :love:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that spray paint trick was genius! It’s so hard to imagine the final product when your looking at a green set. I’m definitely trying this next time. :cool2:

I love how the ring looks. The profile is elegant and the three stone really doesn’t look to big to me. It fits your finger quite nicely. :love:

Thank you! I emailed David to ask how it would change the design and he said either option (5/7 or 4.5/6.5) would work, they’ll just sit lower and maybe not as much of the gallery will be seen because of that. And of course finger coverage left to right the smaller I go. I’m ok with either so I told him I’d play around with the stones I’m getting and let him know. He said 5/7/5 sounds nice but 4.5/6.5/4.5 would also be beautiful, it would just change the design and coverage more.

I told him about the spray paint trick and he said he’s gonna try it because the plastic colors are awful. :lol-2:

Glad I could help!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I emailed David to ask how it would change the design and he said either option (5/7 or 4.5/6.5) would work, they’ll just sit lower and maybe not as much of the gallery will be seen because of that. And of course finger coverage left to right the smaller I go. I’m ok with either so I told him I’d play around with the stones I’m getting and let him know. He said 5/7/5 sounds nice but 4.5/6.5/4.5 would also be beautiful, it would just change the design and coverage more.

I told him about the spray paint trick and he said he’s gonna try it because the plastic colors are awful. :lol-2:

Glad I could help!
My vote is 5/7/5 if you want to go smaller. When you get down to 4.5 mm, I don’t think you will get that same sort of Victorian look you are after with the larger sides. 4.5 mm is what some of the ladies had their 5 stone rings at so that gets pretty small for side stones. You might want to check how small that Tianyu cuts their stones in H&A as well so you don’t end up with a H&A center and round brilliant sides just to be sure.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Spray painting was genius! It’s a bling look for sure and if you’re unsure, going smaller might not be a bad idea. I like the 5/7/5 idea myself but do what you love! Ordering the earring you did was smart so that you could cheaply try out options.

hsc9

Rough_Rock
Ok, I took pics paired with my bezel band, and some by itself. I spray painted the model silver :lol-2: Anyone who ever gets this green plastic, I highly recommend painting it to get a better visual! Made such a huge difference.

Spray painting the model is BRILLIANT. When I got my model from DK, the first thing out of my SO's mouth was that the green was so ugly. I remember thinking to myself that I wished that it was printed in white or yellow plastic. I'm mad that I didn't think of painting the model myself hahaha.

The ring is turning out fantastically. I agree with PP. I don't think it looks too big but I totally understand being worried that the ring will be too ostentatious.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
My vote is 5/7/5 if you want to go smaller. When you get down to 4.5 mm, I don’t think you will get that same sort of Victorian look you are after with the larger sides. 4.5 mm is what some of the ladies had their 5 stone rings at so that gets pretty small for side stones. You might want to check how small that Tianyu cuts their stones in H&A as well so you don’t end up with a H&A center and round brilliant sides just to be sure.

Good idea! I think I’ll probably love the 5/7/5 look. It’s the center stone more than the sides that looks too big.

Spray painting was genius! It’s a bling look for sure and if you’re unsure, going smaller might not be a bad idea. I like the 5/7/5 idea myself but do what you love! Ordering the earring you did was smart so that you could cheaply try out options.

I just left the store, and I’m going home to try the gold :lol-2: I was going to order more Chris CZs but that seemed silly considering I’ll never set them. I just need to see the sizes. I think I’ll like the 5/7/5 too. :kiss2:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Spray painting the model is BRILLIANT. When I got my model from DK, the first thing out of my SO's mouth was that the green was so ugly. I remember thinking to myself that I wished that it was printed in white or yellow plastic. I'm mad that I didn't think of painting the model myself hahaha.

The ring is turning out fantastically. I agree with PP. I don't think it looks too big but I totally understand being worried that the ring will be too ostentatious.

Awww, y’all are making me feel way smarter than I am. Haha!!! I just couldn’t get past the color and remembered I had silver leftover from a Science Fair Project of my daughter's. I agree that it’s not too big necessarily, but I want it to still be modest. I never thought these words would be uttered by me, but ya never know til you try it on!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Can’t try it on yet because it’s wet, but it’s gold now!

98E73346-8643-455E-8575-C66BE246C9E8.jpeg 8AC20E07-4A2C-46D3-B60D-4CC8EA77A6D5.jpeg

Unfortunately I like both colors. I think the design turned out beautiful and it is just one of those rings that works both ways. Yellow gold is becoming the old ‘new’ thing again so I guess you have to decide what color you will love for a very long time again.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have always preferred yellow gold and I do think that it looks vintage. That being said, it also looks great in white metal! which are you more drawn to? For me, I have white and yellow metals but yellow has always been my favorite. Which one is like that for you?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve always had silver/white gold jewelry, but I inherited my grandmother’s wedding set and it’s yellow, so I’ve come to appreciate YG recently. I love both and I am so undecided, especially after painting them and seeing them pretty much back to back. Once it dries and I can try it on, maybe it’ll be more obvious which I prefer, but I like them both! :confused2:

I really was dead set in YG but now I’m not so sure!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
It’s still tacky but I couldn’t stand it. Had to try it on. Lol. Thoughts on gold colors on my skin tone and with the design?
0F1EDD86-8100-4173-BDE4-CF93F75A62DB.jpeg
7E5BA2C1-EAA0-44E3-8211-CF8C0E633920.jpeg D83A073C-602A-41A0-AABE-0FA6BF917A10.jpeg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@michellelynn9175 i just had to tell you I painted my green models too! I thought I was the only one!! It really helps, doesn't it? The green is awful! Your paint job is way better. ..I used silver nail polish!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
@michellelynn9175 i just had to tell you I painted my green models too! I thought I was the only one!! It really helps, doesn't it? The green is awful! Your paint job is way better. ..I used silver nail polish!

Oh my gosh that’s so smart!!! I had gold AND silver nail polish and didn’t even think of it! :confused2: Could’ve saved $3.98 on spray paint :$$): Haha! And the difference it made was insane. Because of my experiment I’m seriously leaning toward WG. Glad I did it!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I started out with yellow gold many years ago, it was popular when we got married. But I'm a white metal person through and through now. I just like it better with my skin tone.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I started out with yellow gold many years ago, it was popular when we got married. But I'm a white metal person through and through now. I just like it better with my skin tone.

I’m starting to think the same thing about myself. I’d love maybe a warmer unplated WG, but I think with my skin I might decide against YG. This is nuts. I’ve had my heart set on YG for months!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Unplated nickel white gold is so pretty, just slightly warm like champagne. I had a ring like that, really loved it. I will warn you if you get DKs palladium white gold it is very white. I was kind of surprised by it. (That's why I wanted to go with gray gold or platinum on the new one).
He has both types of white gold (nickel or palladium) as options , just be specific.
The unplated wg might be a good compromise.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Unplated nickel white gold is so pretty, just slightly warm like champagne. I had a ring like that, really loved it. I will warn you if you get DKs palladium white gold it is very white. I was kind of surprised by it. (That's why I wanted to go with gray gold or platinum on the new one).
He has both types of white gold (nickel or palladium) as options , just be specific.
The unplated wg might be a good compromise.

Ooooohhhhhh, you’re smart! We might be onto something here! I might see if he’s got pics of the WG/nickel mix. I don’t wanna mess with plating it every so often anyway so this might be a happy medium! :kiss2:

Did you get platinum for your new ring? And why haven’t we seen hand shots of that beauty yet? Is it out of production?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Amy told me it would be ready. ..2 weeks ago! I got an update yesterday, it's at the engravers. I'm going to LA next week so I'm just going to pick it up in person. I went with platinum, because this is my final wedding set. Well, that's the plan. ..
I'm attaching a photo of the unplated nickel white gold ring I had , so you can see the color. rps20180520_165241.jpg rps20180520_165359.jpg

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Amy told me it would be ready. ..2 weeks ago! I got an update yesterday, it's at the engravers. I'm going to LA next week so I'm just going to pick it up in person. I went with platinum, because this is my final wedding set. Well, that's the plan. ..
I'm attaching a photo of the unplated nickel white gold ring I had , so you can see the color. rps20180520_165241.jpg rps20180520_165359.jpg

Oh my gosh that Ring is GORGEOUS!!!!! Hubby doesn’t care what I get, but he’s mentioned several times that he simply cannot believe I’m even considering YG. Apparently he remembers me saying it was awful when we got engaged back in 2005 :lol-2: I tried to explain its coming back in style but he’s not hearing it. Lol!

I might see if David has pics of his blends side by side.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I wish I had pictures of the two side by side, but I sold the unplated one. Here's a collage of the 14k palladium white gold (top) vs unplated 14k nickel white gold(bottom). Both unplated, "cuz I hate plating!
20181024_224147.jpg

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I had pictures of the two side by side, but I sold the unplated one. Here's a collage of the 14k palladium white gold (top) vs unplated 14k nickel white gold(bottom). Both unplated, "cuz I hate plating!
20181024_224147.jpg

Thank you SO MUCH for this! I emailed David too. I’m really leaning toward the unplated WG/N combo :kiss2:

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Unplated white gold seems like a great option!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Y’all, I’ve had too much coffee and I’m overthinking again. I keep looking at the model, and one thing keeps standing out to me. The gap in between the baskets. Like the side stones aren’t tucked under the center stone at all and it looks kinda googly-eyed. o_O I’m realizing it’s because the prongs are NSEW on the side stones.

I don’t like MoCo for various reasons, but their IG has tons of variations of all kinds of styles. What about eliminating the inner prong closest to the center basket and using the actual center stone basket prongs to hold it in place?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlFE5IUjzqT/?hl=en

Am I way off base here? Omg David is gonna hate me :oops2:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
No he won't, that's why the plastics are so great. I totally aborted my last design after I got the plastic. Don't stress.

Well that makes me feel better! :kiss2: Why’s your opinion on it? Leave it as-is or try the 3 prong option?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I looked at the MoCo, that's a very classic 3 stone. But before you radically change your design, first realize the prongs are very exagerrated in the cads and model. They will not be so long or thick. They will be filed and much more refined than what you're seeing.
Also, if you compare his cad to your stone placement, in cad they sit lower and are slightly more slanted out.
I kind of took out the excess prongs in the cad, more what the finished ring will look like. Also used purple to show you where it looks to me where the stones will actually be (see cad) compared to your stone placement.
20181025_164307.png

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I looked at the MoCo, that's a very classic 3 stone. But before you radically change your design, first realize the prongs are very exagerrated in the cads and model. They will not be so long or thick. They will be filed and much more refined than what you're seeing.
Also, if you compare his cad to your stone placement, in cad they sit lower and are slightly more slanted out.
I kind of took out the excess prongs in the cad, more what the finished ring will look like. Also used purple to show you where it looks to me where the stones will actually be (see cad) compared to your stone placement.
20181025_164307.png

Thank you for taking the time to do that for me! :kiss2: I see what you’re saying, and I think it’ll probably be fine as-is don’t you? I overthink things, especially when too much caffeine or too little sleep is involved :lol-2: I also haven’t been through the process with CADs and models before so I don’t know what to expect. Being able to get input from someone who’s been there is so valuable!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results