shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with LOGR setting...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I have narrowed my setting search down to a LOGR ring but need some advice before I order it.

Lauren, I saw several of your gorgeous rings in the ''Eye Candy'' thread so, if you see this, please chime in! The one I want is similar to your split shank halo with the oec diamond.

First, the setting I like is a bit big for my diamond, it''s for a 6.5 mm and mine is just over 5.8. The setting has a 6 prong head, which I am not crazy about: http://hd65958.ourhost.cn/rings/setting/round/017b.jpg

I have asked LOGR how they size their settings down to fit a smaller stone and haven''t heard back from them yet...anyway, I like the more flush set look of Lauren''s ring: http://com.pricescope.com/photos/stones/images/3486/original.aspx

But I''m concerned that the opening for the halo would be too big to set my diamond like this and I don''t want the whole halo to be remade, smaller, to set it this way.

Do you know if LOGR would agree to use a smaller four prong head, that sits lower, to make it look more like Lauren''s setting? My diamond is not a very deep cut and it would look really silly in that huge 6 prong setting. Also, my diamond is a very pretty peachy champagne color and I was going to do the prongs in rose gold to accent the color (it looks dead in white gold) but sparkles like crazy next to rose gold.

And also, one more question. LOGR offers this setting both as a ''buy now'' and on auction. If I bid on it through the auction, will they still do customizing? I have to have it sized also. Do they just charge the $50 customizing fee onto what the winning bid price is? Or would I have to take it ''as is?''

Sorry for asking so many questions and thanks in advance for any advice!
35.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2009 8:40:19 AM
Author:Ara Ann
I have narrowed my setting search down to a LOGR ring but need some advice before I order it.

Lauren, I saw several of your gorgeous rings in the 'Eye Candy' thread so, if you see this, please chime in! The one I want is similar to your split shank halo with the oec diamond.

First, the setting I like is a bit big for my diamond, it's for a 6.5 mm and mine is just over 5.8. The setting has a 6 prong head, which I am not crazy about: http://hd65958.ourhost.cn/rings/setting/round/017b.jpg

I have asked LOGR how they size their settings down to fit a smaller stone and haven't heard back from them yet...anyway, I like the more flush set look of Lauren's ring: http://com.pricescope.com/photos/stones/images/3486/original.aspx

But I'm concerned that the opening for the halo would be too big to set my diamond like this and I don't want the whole halo to be remade, smaller, to set it this way.

Do you know if LOGR would agree to use a smaller four prong head, that sits lower, to make it look more like Lauren's setting? My diamond is not a very deep cut and it would look really silly in that huge 6 prong setting. Also, my diamond is a very pretty peachy champagne color and I was going to do the prongs in rose gold to accent the color (it looks dead in white gold) but sparkles like crazy next to rose gold.

And also, one more question. LOGR offers this setting both as a 'buy now' and on auction. If I bid on it through the auction, will they still do customizing? I have to have it sized also. Do they just charge the $50 customizing fee onto what the winning bid price is? Or would I have to take it 'as is?'

Sorry for asking so many questions and thanks in advance for any advice!
35.gif
They will add the customization and upgrade costs (if you go with better diamonds or 18K gold) to the winning auction price.

You can request the setting without the prongs, and your jeweler can order a four prong head for you. For a champagne diamond, I would go with rose gold prongs. Maybe even LOGR can obtain those for you.

I have that same exact setting with the six prong head for my yellow champagne diamond, and I don't care for the prongs at all. I think I will switch them out to a four prong rose gold head. I can totally understand you ambivalence about those prongs.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info!! I''d LOVE to see pics of your completed ring, I am having a hard time picturing it all together! I am waiting to hear back from LOGR about the rose gold head, once I hear back from them, I''ll ask if they can change it out for a 4 prong/low profile head.

Are you happy with the setting though, other than the 6 prong head?
21.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2009 11:38:17 AM
Author: Ara Ann
Thanks for the info!! I'd LOVE to see pics of your completed ring, I am having a hard time picturing it all together! I am waiting to hear back from LOGR about the rose gold head, once I hear back from them, I'll ask if they can change it out for a 4 prong/low profile head.

Are you happy with the setting though, other than the 6 prong head?
21.gif
This is how it looks from the side, and it's kind of goofy looking. I think halos should be bezels, but if you do prongs, these are not good ones to use I would have the prongs connected to the frame of the ring like Lauren's OEC halo. I also have that OEC halo, and I like it better to tell you the truth. This setting is okay, but the diamonds are very tiny.

goofyhaloprongs.jpg

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, thanks for the picture Tourmaline Lover!!!! Yeah, not loving those prongs.

I had an idea about the prongs...my diamond is not a very deep cut, so I think it would work. I am going to ask if they can do a four prong head, but shallower prongs, so the diamond would sit deeper into the halo. My diamond is just over 5.8 mm, which is a bit smaller than what the setting calls for (6.5 mm), so I think there would be room to have it set lower into the halo.

Are the diamonds in the halo a lot smaller than in the other setting? You really like the other setting more? I am looking to get the ''most bang for the buck'' with the look of the halo and the diamonds...I would consider getting the other setting instead, but not sure if they could do the tiny prongs in rose gold, since it''s part of the halo itself.
Also I''m thinking an actual pronged head would look better, since my diamond is not that deep...would a shallower cut diamond look bad in a halo without being in an actual head?
Do you have any pics of both rings that show the difference in the diamonds in the halo part? I was hoping this setting would look like Lauren''s setting, as far as the size of the diamonds in the halo...that''s not the case?

We took my diamond to a jeweler yesterday and I was able to look at it in a halo setting and it really looked pretty, with the white diamonds around it! I know not everyone likes champagne diamonds, but I really love the warm color and it sparkled like crazy, so I will be a happy girl when it''s all done, whichever setting I end up with!

Thanks again for your help!
21.gif

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I do love that look...was this setting something they offered in a bezel, or did you ask for it to be made up that way? It does look exactly like the one I had decided on, without prongs!

Again, the things I am concerned about are: my diamond is not a deep cut, would that look funny in a bezel setting? And also I'd like to have the metal surrounding the diamond in rose gold, to really bring out the color...I'm not sure what I could have done in the rose gold on the bezel style, if they would be able to do just the bezel in rose gold.

Thanks again for all of the pics and advice!!!
1.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was a standard LOGR setting. I simply asked them to add millgraining and upgrade the diamonds.

LOGR can customise most things and I''m sure they could make the bezel in rose gold. Also, if your stone is not deep then if you give them the depth they could build up the setting inside (or your local jeweller could do it). I''m not sure how just a rose gold bezel would look but they could also make a rose gold head on a white shank if that''s what you wanted. I''m pretty sure somebody has recently had one done like that.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again for your input 'Loving Diamonds'!

I am really torn! I really love all of these rings...maybe I'll have to start a colored gem collection too, so I can have more than one, LOL!

Yes, I had considered doing the whole head in rose gold, but decided that would be too much contrast between the champagne diamond and the white diamonds in rose gold...I'm concerned it would be 'too busy.'

I'm going to sit on this for a few days and see how I feel...I've been known to change my mind, LOL and I don't want to have regrets later...I'm just happy to be able to 'talk' to others who have used LOGR and seem to be happy with their products.

In the meantime, if anyone else has more suggestions/pics of their LOGR settings, I'd love to see more!
4.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 8:41:49 AM
Oh, thanks for the picture Tourmaline Lover!!!! Yeah, not loving those prongs.

I had an idea about the prongs...my diamond is not a very deep cut, so I think it would work. I am going to ask if they can do a four prong head, but shallower prongs, so the diamond would sit deeper into the halo. My diamond is just over 5.8 mm, which is a bit smaller than what the setting calls for (6.5 mm), so I think there would be room to have it set lower into the halo.

Are the diamonds in the halo a lot smaller than in the other setting? You really like the other setting more? I am looking to get the 'most bang for the buck' with the look of the halo and the diamonds...I would consider getting the other setting instead, but not sure if they could do the tiny prongs in rose gold, since it's part of the halo itself.
Also I'm thinking an actual pronged head would look better, since my diamond is not that deep...would a shallower cut diamond look bad in a halo without being in an actual head?
Do you have any pics of both rings that show the difference in the diamonds in the halo part? I was hoping this setting would look like Lauren's setting, as far as the size of the diamonds in the halo...that's not the case?

We took my diamond to a jeweler yesterday and I was able to look at it in a halo setting and it really looked pretty, with the white diamonds around it! I know not everyone likes champagne diamonds, but I really love the warm color and it sparkled like crazy, so I will be a happy girl when it's all done, whichever setting I end up with!

Thanks again for your help!
21.gif
I asked if he could do the prongs on the other halo in rose gold, and he could only plate them. That's not a good option since the plating can come off.

I also have a pink champagne diamond in a rose gold halo, and I think with a pink champagne diamond, that's the way to go. It really brings out the pink. I've had several people ask to see my pretty pink diamond.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you wanted to see more options with colored diamonds.

Here''s a finger full of colored diamonds. The top is the diamond ring and champagne diamond I posted above.
The second is my pink champagne in a rose gold setting by ebay seller lan.bo4.
The third is a green grey diamond with two side 20 point pink diamonds in an LOGR premium setting. This will give you an idea of the LOGR rose gold color.
The fourth is a Tacori style mount with a light yellow diamond - this setting is from my high end jeweler.

color_diamonds_finger.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my favorite LOGR halo with a rubellite in it, and this is the one that you cannot do just rose gold prongs on. It would have to be the whole ring. I paid more for upgraded diamonds, but I think it's worth it. He charges $249/ct to upgrade the diamonds.

logr_upclose_rubellite.JPG

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
EEEK!!! I love all of your rings! Thanks for the pics, it REALLY helps to envision what mine is going to look like, seeing the colored diamonds in the rose gold halo settings, with the white accent diamonds.

And yes, your diamond set in the lan.bo4 setting is the same color as mine... I like that setting, but I LOVE the migraine detail of the LOGR setting, I like a more ''antique'' look. Ugh. I am bummed they can''t do the prongs in rose gold...I wonder if they can do the whole halo part in rose gold then (like your lan.bo4 setting)...that would be my second choice I think.

If not, I don''t know what I''m going to do!!
20.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 12:19:00 PM
EEEK!!! I love all of your rings! Thanks for the pics, it REALLY helps to envision what mine is going to look like, seeing the colored diamonds in the rose gold halo settings, with the white accent diamonds.

And yes, your diamond set in the lan.bo4 setting is the same color as mine... I like that setting, but I LOVE the migraine detail of the LOGR setting, I like a more ''antique'' look. Ugh. I am bummed they can''t do the prongs in rose gold...I wonder if they can do the whole halo part in rose gold then (like your lan.bo4 setting)...that would be my second choice I think.

If not, I don''t know what I''m going to do!!
20.gif
Thank you for the kind words.

No LOGR has to make that whole ring in one color gold, he can''t make certain parts of it in rose. I asked already because I originally wanted this setting for my diamond.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info "TL"! And I really enjoyed looking at all of your goodies!

I had already anticipated this scenario and think I am still leaning toward the LOGR split shank, in white gold. While at the jewelry store yesterday, I tried on a white gold halo and had my diamond in it (for about 5 minutes, LOL) and it did look really pretty in that setting, still had enough pink coming through too. I think the white diamond halo helps to accentuate the color, whereas a plain white gold prong/head does not, which is what I had looked at before and it did nothing for the color. I couldn't believe the price of the B&M setting, it was no larger or nicer than the LOGR setting and it was $1,700.00, he would have given us another $200 or so off, but that's still too much, IMO, when I can get this setting for a lot less.

For reference, here is a link to Lauren's split shank...in this pic, her hand is in the shade and her diamond looks 'warmer' in this shot...my diamond is a hair darker than this, with a pinky/peachy tone and I think it will look really nice in this setting, even in the white gold:

http://com.pricescope.com/photos/stones/images/3488/original.aspx

Thanks again to all who gave advice and posted pics for me! I'll update again when I make the decision!
35.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 3:04:10 PM
That''s what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info ''TL''! And I really enjoyed looking at all of your goodies!

I had already anticipated this scenario and think I am still leaning toward the LOGR split shank, in white gold. While at the jewelry store yesterday, I tried on a white gold halo and had my diamond in it (for about 5 minutes, LOL) and it did look really pretty in that setting, still had enough pink coming through too. I think the white diamond halo helps to accentuate the color, whereas a plain white gold prong/head does not, which is what I had looked at before and it did nothing for the color. I couldn''t believe the price of the B&M setting, it was no larger or nicer than the LOGR setting and it was $1,700.00, he would have given us another $200 or so off, but that''s still too much, IMO, when I can get this setting for a lot less.

For reference, here is a link to Lauren''s split shank...in this pic, her hand is in the shade and her diamond looks ''warmer'' in this shot...my diamond is a hair darker than this, with a pinky/peachy tone and I think it will look really nice in this setting, even in the white gold:

http://com.pricescope.com/photos/stones/images/3488/original.aspx

Thanks again to all who gave advice and posted pics for me! I''ll update again when I make the decision!
35.gif

I had that same pink champagne diamond in the setting that my light yellow is in now. It had pink gold prongs, but it was surrounded by white gold. Let me tell you - WHITE GOLD DOES NOTHING for pink champagne diamonds. It kills the pink and only brings out the brown. If you do get that ring, I would just do it all in rose gold, or have your jeweler make a rose gold bezel. Rose gold is difficult to work with and for many jewelers to come by, so make sure your jeweler can get it first.

Here''s my pink champagne when it was in the other mount- yuck! Everyone thought it was a brown diamond. Now everyone thinks I have a pink diamond
36.gif

pinkhandshot2.jpg

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, thanks for that last pic ''TL''!

Yeah, the rose gold prongs alone don''t seem to help much, huh? In this pic, your diamond looks like it is quite a bit deeper in color than mine is. On my screen, my diamond color is between the color of Lauren''s in that ''hand in the shade'' pic and your diamond. Maybe the lighter shade won''t look as brown in the white gold halo, if I have to go that route? It still seemed to look pink, while it was in that setting at the store.

And I will ask my jeweler if he can do a rose gold bezel, he does a lot of his own custom pieces and is very talented...too bad his stuff is out of my price range, I''d have him make me a ring from scratch!

Thanks again for sharing all of your pics with me, I TRULY appreciate your time and help!
35.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 5:54:48 PM
Oh, thanks for that last pic 'TL'!

Yeah, the rose gold prongs alone don't seem to help much, huh? In this pic, your diamond looks like it is quite a bit deeper in color than mine is. On my screen, my diamond color is between the color of Lauren's in that 'hand in the shade' pic and your diamond. Maybe the lighter shade won't look as brown in the white gold halo, if I have to go that route? It still seemed to look pink, while it was in that setting at the store.

And I will ask my jeweler if he can do a rose gold bezel, he does a lot of his own custom pieces and is very talented...too bad his stuff is out of my price range, I'd have him make me a ring from scratch!

Thanks again for sharing all of your pics with me, I TRULY appreciate your time and help!
35.gif
My diamond sits low in a halo, and before it was bezeled or prong set, it looked like this. Bezeling it will darken the stone.

The stone on the right is the pink champagne, and the stone on the left is the regular brown diamond that I have in the six prong setting. In sunlight, it lightens up quite a bit because it has flourescence.

champagne_friends.jpg

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for that new pic "TL!" -

My diamond is still a bit lighter and maybe a bit peachier than your pink champagne... Mine has almost a candle light, soft tone, look to it. It''s hard to describe and of course it changes with the kind of lighting it''s in.

What sizes are your diamonds in the pics? Is your pink a 6 mm? Just curious!
21.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
.81 and .52 points

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!
21.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NP, I hope you can eventually post pictures of your stone and it''s hopeful setting. It would be nice to see pictures of what sounds like a very beautiful and unique diamond.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I will definitely post pics when it''s all done!

I have a pic of my diamond, but it looks nothing like it, LOL, so I am not going to post that one...

By no means is it the perfect diamond, I know the cut is not ''ideal'', but I was looking for the right color (a pretty light champagne), a decent size and no visible inclusions and that''s what I got! So I am a happy camper, even if it''s not up to some other diamond collectors standards! it''s going to be a really pretty ring and that''s all I wanted!
9.gif

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes! Does LOGR mess around with their prices frequently? Just last night, the semi mount I wanted was a ''buy now'' of $189.00...the other setting I was looking at was a ''buy now'' of $239.00...well now, they are both over $300 on a ''buy now!'' They have several to ''buy now'' from, but are all different prices! What the heck are they doing?

Fortunately, I had decided to get the one semi mount and saw it was being ''auctioned'' at a starting bid of $189.00...so I bid on it and got it and now I''m glad I did. Is this why they mark up their prices, while they have the same item offered as an auction?

I have never noticed this practice on their site before, has anyone else?
20.gif
I hope they honor my winning auction bid!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 10:03:21 AM
Yes, I will definitely post pics when it''s all done!

I have a pic of my diamond, but it looks nothing like it, LOL, so I am not going to post that one...

By no means is it the perfect diamond, I know the cut is not ''ideal'', but I was looking for the right color (a pretty light champagne), a decent size and no visible inclusions and that''s what I got! So I am a happy camper, even if it''s not up to some other diamond collectors standards! it''s going to be a really pretty ring and that''s all I wanted!
9.gif
Typically colored diamonds are not cut to the same standards as colorless ones because they have their color to rely on as far as their appeal. It sounds like a gorgeous diamond that I''m sure many would be envious of (I know I am!!). Pink champagnes, or any diamond with a pink cast, is a rare and valuable treasure.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 5:20:10 PM
Yikes! Does LOGR mess around with their prices frequently? Just last night, the semi mount I wanted was a ''buy now'' of $189.00...the other setting I was looking at was a ''buy now'' of $239.00...well now, they are both over $300 on a ''buy now!'' They have several to ''buy now'' from, but are all different prices! What the heck are they doing?

Fortunately, I had decided to get the one semi mount and saw it was being ''auctioned'' at a starting bid of $189.00...so I bid on it and got it and now I''m glad I did. Is this why they mark up their prices, while they have the same item offered as an auction?

I have never noticed this practice on their site before, has anyone else?
20.gif
I hope they honor my winning auction bid!
He switches around his prices quite a bit, or he lists the same setting with multiple prices. I don''t know if that''s allowed on ebay, but he does it. I think he figures someone might buy the one with the higher price if he''s lucky. Hold out until you get the lower price. He recently raised his prices a great deal, which I think he''s regretting because no one is buying the more expensive settings and people are only bidding on the 99 start auction ones.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info TL...I actually just did a search on PS and found an old thread from October with this same scenario, so I guess they do this regularly.

Well, I caught the auction, in its last hour...it was the semi mount I was going to order anyway. I only paid $3.00 more than what the 'buy now' price was YESTERDAY, so I'm happy I got it...if I had not bid on it, I would have had to wait even longer for the prices to go back down, or for it to show up on another auction at some point...

The opening 'bid' on this one was at the $189.00 price and at that time, there was another listing for the same setting on a 'buy now' at $199.00...I figured $10 was no big deal if I lost the auction, but I bid on the auction anyway...now I'm glad I did, because that 'buy now $199' is GONE and it's now being offered between $250-$349!!! Unreal.

Edit: Whoops, I just looked at my info and see there is ONE listed at $199 buy now. So strange!

I hope I get this one!
33.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would recommend upgrading the diamonds. My diamonds are full cut rounds on the setting above, otherwise you get single cuts and they're not as nice. For such an important stone, I think it's worth it. I believe it would be $72 extra. He would add that to your invoice if you email him that you want an upgrade.

Which mount did you get, the split shank?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, I got the split shank.

Thanks for the info on the diamond upgrade, I''ll have to think about it though....$72 isn''t that bad and your diamonds look really nice in your setting, but we are on a very tight budget...I was going to wait until next payday, hubby''s company only pays once a month, but I saw their prices go way up and didn''t know what was going on there, I didn''t want to pay $250 or more for the same ring I picked out at $189.00! ...had I realized this was a ''thing'' they did with raising and lowering their prices, I may have waited a couple of extra weeks before I got it.
20.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ara Ann - is this the colour of your diamond? This one is a real peachy champagne and throws off fire like you wouldn''t believe! Interestingly I originally had it in white gold and it looked awful. I switched it to yellow and it just shines! It''s happy now! Funnily enough, since switching settings nearly every time I wear it I get comments.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results