shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Diamond for 40th Wedding Anniversary

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I do have a question and not sure if I should create a new post. I am getting the Vache 6 prong in platinum (U-113). The prongs look a little clunky and it could just be the photo. Becca and WF say that some people ask that they be made more delicate. So another decision. Any thoughts?
I do like delicate talon prongs, so if they could manage to, I'd ask for more delicate ones.
For an example, I love the prongs by Victor Canera but they're hand-forged with extreme craftsmanship. See the below for an example and I'd ask Whiteflash to try emulating it if it's to your taste as well.
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-gabriella-raised-band-pre-mount

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
There’s definitely a lot of experts here. I don’t dare give my 2 cents as I’m not an expert but just love to follow along everyone’s diamond journey:).

mchap

Rough_Rock

mchap

Rough_Rock
I think I will start a new thread asking if anyone had this done to they setting that they bought from WF.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have made a wonderful choice and will have a diamond that you will love!

You can absolutely ask that the prongs be modified a bit - the prongs on the Vatche look more like the tab prongs on the Tiffany but you can ask that they be made more pointy. Here is the Tiffany ring:

the-tiffany-setting-23281732e061808_1.01cttf_am_ac_x1b_SPM_R1.jpg

mchap

Rough_Rock
I think you have made a wonderful choice and will have a diamond that you will love!

You can absolutely ask that the prongs be modified a bit - the prongs on the Vatche look more like the tab prongs on the Tiffany but you can ask that they be made more pointy. Here is the Tiffany ring:

the-tiffany-setting-23281732e061808_1.01cttf_am_ac_x1b_SPM_R1.jpg
Thanks! So the Vache has tabs like the Tiffany? Maybe the look is okay. I could run to a Tiffany's and look at this setting.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! So the Vache has tabs like the Tiffany? Maybe the look is okay. I could run to a Tiffany's and look at this setting.
The look will be fine, especially when made more delicate by Whiteflash.

You'll hardly notice the prongs in real life, and they'll look so much daintier in person especially since some of us are older and could hardly focus unless with reading glasses. :lol:
People on PS are very particular with prongs because people love to post huge magnified photos here and any imperfections get exaggerated. I've seen nice talon prongs done by Whiteflash before, so I'd trust them to it.
https://www.whiteflash.com/photos/2...ng-Set-in-Platinum_gi_1991-51871_3-62496.webp

Vatche-U-113-6-Prong-Solitaire-Wedding-Set-in-Platinum_gi_1991-51871_3-62496.webp

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I didn’t have them modify my Vatche prongs even though in the past I liked more delicate prongs. I really liked the look of them when I went to Tiffany, moreso than I thought I would, so I kept them as is and I think they’re great. I didn’t want to mess with a good thing! I also didn’t want to run into any issues with returning it if I customized it. Not even sure that would have been an issue so you might want to ask.

mchap

Rough_Rock
I didn’t have them modify my Vatche prongs even though in the past I liked more delicate prongs. I really liked the look of them when I went to Tiffany, moreso than I thought I would, so I kept them as is and I think they’re great. I didn’t want to mess with a good thing! I also didn’t want to run into any issues with returning it if I customized it. Not even sure that would have been an issue so you might want to ask.

Thanks for your input! That is my fear 'messing with a good thing'. I am going to talk to WF today about their process and if they have any examples. BlueMa has seen nice talon prongs done by WF and says that they do a nice job. If I leave the prongs alone I will be happy too.

Did you have your baby?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input! That is my fear 'messing with a good thing'. I am going to talk to WF today about their process and if they have any examples. BlueMa has seen nice talon prongs done by WF and says that they do a nice job. If I leave the prongs alone I will be happy too.

Did you have your baby?

I was wondering the same thing this morning - has the baby arrived?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock

Did you have your baby?

BTW, many people do love the tab prongs because it looks most like Tiffany's which is a very highly regarded iconic brand. Also with pointy talon prongs (all the rage nowadays), if not executed very well (like most local jewelers will totally mess it up), the pointy ends "could" catch stuff, like sweaters and hair. I would ask WF for the opinion and confidence of the pong execution by the bench. I don't mind the below example of the vache prongs, but only you can decide which you prefer compared to Tiffany's.
The reason why the vache is so popular is because it look most like the classic Tiffany's and many people do ask for Tiffany's prongs.
upload_2019-2-1_9-46-53.png
upload_2019-2-1_9-50-36.png

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My solitaire setting isn't the Vatche U-113, but it is similar. I had the tab prongs softened from the stock setting (not made into talons/pointy, just softened the edges). IMO, the Vatche U-113 prongs look a bit softer than the Tiffany prongs as it is, but you may be able to have them softened a bit more without making them talons/pointy if that's the look you are going for. If you are trying to emulate the Tiffany prongs, I don't think you should change the prongs on the Vatche U-113. GL!

Here is the stock photo of my setting vs. the final product:
perfectSolSettingStock.jpg
PerfectSolSettingA_files.jpg

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Here are photo of a genuine Tiffany setting from a recent thread.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-expert-advice-on-an-upsetting-situation.246251/
upload_2019-2-1_12-30-16.png
upload_2019-2-1_12-38-27.png

I've seen many recent U113 "as is" settings with more squarish tab prongs than shown under the Whiteflash for the setting. Perhaps it depends on who works at the bench, but if you find your preference, I'd try to get as specific as possible.

Isn't ring shopping fun? So many stressful details to hash out, but at least you have the most important stone decision out of the way relatively quickly. :D

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-1_12-29-53.png
    upload_2019-2-1_12-29-53.png
    645.2 KB · Views: 14

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone, I just ordered the E VS1 2.055 diamond! The package saved about $2500. And the engraving and appraisal will be free. Also we do not have tax in Rhode Island. I am so fortunate to have talked with all of you and would not have been able to get this diamond alone. We are very excited! Phew!! Maureen

Congratulations!! You must be soooo excited!!!

It really is such a gorgeous diamond!!! :appl: And you got the 2 carat mark - no regrets! I hope that the size suits you perfectly and that you never feel the pangs of DSS so that this is really your forever ring! (Or not ... lol ... and then you have as many future options as you like).

Be prepared - people will notice those sparkles and flashes wherever you go and whatever you do - yay!

I’m very happy for you and your husband ... largely for your beautiful new diamond ring, but most of all, finding 40 years together!!!!

Thank you for taking us on your journey :twirl:

Now to wait for the pictures!!!! Please don’t forget us!

:wavey:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did have the baby on Tuesday! All is well - happy and healthy beautiful baby girl! Just got home yesterday. :) Thank you so much for asking @mchap and @MissGotRocks!

So excited to see your finished product @mchap

Wow - a true PSer! Gave birth on Tuesday and right back to PS - lol! Seriously though, congrats on your new baby girl! Always exciting and always grand news that everyone is doing well!! :appl::clap:

mchap

Rough_Rock
My solitaire setting isn't the Vatche U-113, but it is similar. I had the tab prongs softened from the stock setting (not made into talons/pointy, just softened the edges). IMO, the Vatche U-113 prongs look a bit softer than the Tiffany prongs as it is, but you may be able to have them softened a bit more without making them talons/pointy if that's the look you are going for. If you are trying to emulate the Tiffany prongs, I don't think you should change the prongs on the Vatche U-113. GL!

Here is the stock photo of my setting vs. the final product:
perfectSolSettingStock.jpg
PerfectSolSettingA_files.jpg
Thanks for the photos. The more I look at the setting the more I like it. I may just leave it be.

mchap

Rough_Rock
I did have the baby on Tuesday! All is well - happy and healthy beautiful baby girl! Just got home yesterday. :) Thank you so much for asking @mchap and @MissGotRocks!

So excited to see your finished product @mchap
Congratulations! What is her name? And thanks for the photos. I think I am going to leave the setting alone.

mchap

Rough_Rock
Congratulations!! You must be soooo excited!!!

It really is such a gorgeous diamond!!! :appl: And you got the 2 carat mark - no regrets! I hope that the size suits you perfectly and that you never feel the pangs of DSS so that this is really your forever ring! (Or not ... lol ... and then you have as many future options as you like).

Be prepared - people will notice those sparkles and flashes wherever you go and whatever you do - yay!

I’m very happy for you and your husband ... largely for your beautiful new diamond ring, but most of all, finding 40 years together!!!!

Thank you for taking us on your journey :twirl:

Now to wait for the pictures!!!! Please don’t forget us!

:wavey:
Hi Kmoro, Thank you for all of your help along this journey. I learned so much and met a lot of nice people who sincerely helped me. There is no way we could ever have figured it out on our own. 2 weeks ago I did not even know about the ACA diamonds. The diamond is beautiful and I am so excited about it. We went above budget and probably did a bit of an overkill but I will love it. I think I am going to leave the setting alone. All the photos that people have posted look really nice. I should have the ring in a few weeks. Just have to let them know what we want engraved on the bands.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! What is her name? And thanks for the photos. I think I am going to leave the setting alone.
Can't go wrong with going for the classic look!
Since I'm seeing some variations in the prong work for the U-113, if you see an example you particularly like, I'd send that over to WF and say that you're particular with precision prong work. ;)2

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kmoro, Thank you for all of your help along this journey. I learned so much and met a lot of nice people who sincerely helped me. There is no way we could ever have figured it out on our own. 2 weeks ago I did not even know about the ACA diamonds. The diamond is beautiful and I am so excited about it. We went above budget and probably did a bit of an overkill but I will love it. I think I am going to leave the setting alone. All the photos that people have posted look really nice. I should have the ring in a few weeks. Just have to let them know what we want engraved on the bands.

I’m so glad! This community has helped me a lot as well, and I’ve learned so much! I have so much time on my hands (off work waiting for my hips to be replaced), that I’ve been able to study up while going through my own experience, and I am kind of hanging around hoping to give back a bit, if possible.

Omg, I am so excited for you! lol. I guess it’s the best part of following someone as they go through the process ... living vicariously through them ... haha.

It’s not overkill if it makes you happy!!!! A huge factor in the diamond market is psychological ... what is overkill or underkill to some is perfect for others! If we suddenly lost all of our knowledge about the source and history of natural diamonds, there would be no difference from man-made. You will never examine that diamond for tint or inclusions, know what I mean? No looking at different angles and lighting to see if you can see it ... because you know that you won’t be able to, no matter what. And a mind-clean 2 carat ACA - WOW! As a symbol of a 40 year marriage, it is exceptionally rare and beautiful!

Sorry if that was too much. I get carried away sometimes. :wall:

I can’t wait until you see it for yourself!! I know you’ll be thrilled! :love::love::love:

mchap

Rough_Rock
I’m so glad! This community has helped me a lot as well, and I’ve learned so much! I have so much time on my hands (off work waiting for my hips to be replaced), that I’ve been able to study up while going through my own experience, and I am kind of hanging around hoping to give back a bit, if possible.

Omg, I am so excited for you! lol. I guess it’s the best part of following someone as they go through the process ... living vicariously through them ... haha.

It’s not overkill if it makes you happy!!!! A huge factor in the diamond market is psychological ... what is overkill or underkill to some is perfect for others! If we suddenly lost all of our knowledge about the source and history of natural diamonds, there would be no difference from man-made. You will never examine that diamond for tint or inclusions, know what I mean? No looking at different angles and lighting to see if you can see it ... because you know that you won’t be able to, no matter what. And a mind-clean 2 carat ACA - WOW! As a symbol of a 40 year marriage, it is exceptionally rare and beautiful!

Sorry if that was too much. I get carried away sometimes. :wall:

I can’t wait until you see it for yourself!! I know you’ll be thrilled! :love::love::love:
Thanks again! I will post photos as soon as I get it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results