shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Diamond for 40th Wedding Anniversary

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
People usually can see a size difference side by side at about .2 mm. You may not notice that this is smaller than a 2 carat when you wear it on its own, and you do save the price per carat jump at 2 carats.

However, if I were you, I’d go for the 2 carat and over just because you can afford it. We have a thing called Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome (DSS), that makes us feel like our diamonds are smaller over time, lol. DSS is real, lol, so unless you don’t like how it looks on your hand, I would suggest going as big as you can afford.

I’ve been wondering about this - when you can actually see a difference in size. So .2 mm is sort of the spot, huh? I’ve used that side by side comparison website which is helpful but more curious what people see in person. And yes DSS is real - I’m already thinking about what size I would need to go up to in the future from my 2 carat to see a difference and ive literally had it for 9 days!

mchap

Rough_Rock
AA9ED862-669F-4503-88E3-4C28CBDDCD3E.jpeg 6524EC22-8767-4395-9ECC-19F194E39133.jpeg 42E68371-44E5-4FFE-B04E-F6B7BDB01AD9.jpeg 7FBFF625-BE60-4069-85CE-2D583FCEA37E.jpeg

I went with the Vatche U-113 in platinum through Whiteflash. Besides that being the exact setting I wanted and they happen to carry it, I personally find it easier to deal with one vendor for both the diamond and setting when possible. I highly recommend WF!

Your diamond is beautiful. I want a 6 prong setting in platinum. I like the traditional 'Tiffany' setting. I like the one you have. What size is your diamond?

I will go with the 2 carat vs the 1.85.

mchap

Rough_Rock
People usually can see a size difference side by side at about .2 mm. You may not notice that this is smaller than a 2 carat when you wear it on its own, and you do save the price per carat jump at 2 carats.

However, if I were you, I’d go for the 2 carat and over just because you can afford it. We have a thing called Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome (DSS), that makes us feel like our diamonds are smaller over time, lol. DSS is real, lol, so unless you don’t like how it looks on your hand, I would suggest going as big as you can afford.

I will go with the 2 carat and over. This way I will not have any regrets.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your diamond is beautiful. That is what I am looking for. Can you tell me the carat size, color and clarity?

Thank you @mchap ! My e-ring is 1.85 ct, G VVS2, GIA ExExEx (36 CA/40.6 PA). For referenc, my finger size is 5.5 (rings are sized slightly larger to account for my knobby knuckle and swelling). This was a 10 year anniversary upgrade from a not-so-well cut 1.01 ct and I was looking to improve the cut and increase in size to 1.75-2 ct. Congratulations on 40 years and best of luck picking out your diamond! Can’t wait to see the finish product!

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Your diamond is beautiful. I want a 6 prong setting in platinum. I like the traditional 'Tiffany' setting. I like the one you have. What size is your diamond?

I will go with the 2 carat vs the 1.85.

Then you would love this setting (Vatche U-113 in platinum)! Many around here will say it’s one of the closest settings to the real Tiffany on the market, and I would agree. For me it’s perfect and that is exactly what I was going for - a Tiffany lookalike. It’s not exact because Vatche wouldn’t be allowed to do that but it’s about as close as can be in my opinion! My diamond is a 2.065 ACA, I Color, SI1. Completely eye clean. If I could have afforded to, I would have gone higher in color and since you can your diamond is going to be perfection!

Here’s my thread on it if you want more photos: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-2-065-aca-in-vatche-u-113.246331/

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
@kal2021 hahaha. I can totally relate. That’s how I felt when I went from 1.37 to 1.87. People who noticed the difference varied. I didn’t tell my kids and my middle daughter all of a sudden said “whoa. Mom, did you get a bigger diamond?” While we were in line at the grocery hahaha. As much as I’d like a huge stone, I want it to be proportionate to my small hand and not look out of place in my circle. I know we’ve always said wear what you want and whatever you’re comfortable with. To me, I think the biggest I’d wear would be 8.5 to 8.7 mm. I thinks that’s my max comfort zone :). What’s yours?

Also, I read somewhere (maybe here) that 20% increase in diameter is when you really see a difference. Multiplying your current diameter by 1.05 willl get you that number.

Last edited:

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
@kal2021 hahaha. I can totally relate. That’s how I felt when I went from 1.37 to 1.87. People who noticed the difference varied. I didn’t tell my kids and my middle daughter all of a sudden said “whoa. Mom, did you get a bigger diamond?” While we were in line at the grocery hahaha. As much as I’d like a huge stone, I want it to be proportionate to my small hand and not look out of place in my circle. I know we’ve always said wear what you want and whatever you’re comfortable with. To me, I think the biggest I’d wear would be 8.5 to 8.7 mm. I thinks that’s my max comfort zone :). What’s yours?

Also, I read somewhere (maybe here) that 20% increase in diameter is when you really see a difference. Multiplying your current diameter by 1.05 willl get you that number.

That’s funny i was just telling my husband that in the week since I’ve had my new diamond nobody has noticed! And I realize it’s because people likely don’t pay attention to other people’s rings like I do because not everyone is into diamonds like I am! I went from a three stone (1.23 round center with pear sidestones) to my 2 carat solitaire. Not even my own mother has noticed!

Good question I’m not sure what I’d be comfortable with. I think I could quickly get used to a 3 carat though! I love the idea of never thinking of wanting to upgrade again!

My diameter is 8.2 so I’d have to go to 8.6 to see a difference based on that 1.05 multiplier calculation. If I use the .2 difference than it would be 8.4. If only I could try on all the different sizes to see in person. I feel weird doing that in jewelry stores sometimes when it’s clear I’m not buying.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
That’s funny i was just telling my husband that in the week since I’ve had my new diamond nobody has noticed! And I realize it’s because people likely don’t pay attention to other people’s rings like I do because not everyone is into diamonds like I am! I went from a three stone (1.23 round center with pear sidestones) to my 2 carat solitaire. Not even my own mother has noticed!

Good question I’m not sure what I’d be comfortable with. I think I could quickly get used to a 3 carat though! I love the idea of never thinking of wanting to upgrade again!

My diameter is 8.2 so I’d have to go to 8.6 to see a difference based on that 1.05 multiplier calculation. If I use the .2 difference than it would be 8.4. If only I could try on all the different sizes to see in person. I feel weird doing that in jewelry stores sometimes when it’s clear I’m not buying.

The only reason my friends noticed is because they knew I was upgrading as they noticed my missing ring as I sent it back to WF hahaha.

I agree about feeling awkward going to stores. One time when I asked to look at 2.25 or 2.5 they asked me first if I was looking to buy . So I just said I don’t know yet that’s why I wanted to try them on. Jeweler was trying to convince me to go for 3 carats. I don’t think they had a 3 carat in stock so I just tried on a 2.5. Not sure what the diameter was though.

OP. I’m sorry for the post hijack. Please update us with your decision :).

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I’m over 40 weeks pregnant so I think if my friends noticed my ring was missing (when I sent it to WF) they probably assumed it was because my fingers were swollen and it didn’t fit!

That’s weird they would ask you if you are looking to buy first!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I’m over 40 weeks pregnant so I think if my friends noticed my ring was missing (when I sent it to WF) they probably assumed it was because my fingers were swollen and it didn’t fit!

That’s weird they would ask you if you are looking to buy first!

@kal2021 - I know, right? Weird question for sure. All the best to you and the upcoming baby! First one?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting, @blueMA. Mine is 40.7. In natural lighting, I can see the darker arrows but in office lighting in some particular areas, I get distracted by the shimmery white/ light arrows. Can you explain that please?

Thank you.

What's a diamond facet if it doesn't act as a mirror or for light reflection?
You can see obstruction one moment from the arrows, but with the slightest tilt, they act to bound light back to your eyes.

This was posted in another thread so it may help to visualize the difference with shallower pav vs. deeper.
color-jpg.671784

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/igi-certification.246325/page-2#post-4487051

Also, BIC vs FIC
bic.gif
fic.gif

http://www.diamond-cut.com.au/23_bicfic.htm

mchap

Rough_Rock
We want to thank everyone for all of your help. We are learning. We are looking at WF and HP. We already spoke with WF and they seem great. So here are some of the 2 carat diamonds that we like. Some of you recommended some of these. I was looking for F-VS1. We wanted the budget to stay in the mid 30's but will spend more if you feel that the quality is better.

1) https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3970294.htm
We were worried about the table being too big. Also is 34.2 okay?

2) https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4006547.htm
More money. If it were an F it may have been cheaper. The angles seem good. Is the table okay?

3) https://www.whiteflash.com/pdf/104091828006.pdf
A little over budget.

4) https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10535

If there are any diamonds that you would recommend we were really appreciate it.

Thanks so much!

Maureen

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you’re heading in the right direction! I will let the experts chime in on your choices, just wanted to say you may want to post the links to the Whiteflash listings (like you did for the others) for numbers 3 and 5 instead of just the PDFs of the reports. :)

mchap

Rough_Rock
Thanks Kai! We would like to stay in the $30's but not sure if there is one out there. I don't know why they came out as PDF's. Thanks for pointing them out. I will repost them.

mchap

Rough_Rock
Here are all of the links.

We want to thank everyone for all of your help. We are learning. We are looking at WF and HP. We already spoke with WF and they seem great. So here are some of the 2 carat diamonds that we like. Some of you recommended some of these. I was looking for F-VS1. We wanted the budget to stay in the mid 30's but will spend more if you feel that the quality is better.

1) https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3970294.htm
We were worried about the table being too big. Also is 34.2 okay?

2) https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4006547.htm
More money. If it were an F it may have been cheaper. The angles seem good. Is the table okay?

3) https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3999627.htm
A little over budget.

4) https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10535

5) https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4018647.htm

Here is the comparison of the WF diamonds only.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3970294,3999627,4006547,4018647

If there are any diamonds that you would recommend we were really appreciate it.

Thanks so much!

Maureen

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mchap -

I don't know if you've seen real life photos of a WF F VS2, but here's mine. It's perfect in real life. This one is 3.05ct, and the sides are also ACA diamonds from WF - each one is .62 ct and G colored. As you can see - all very white. They're all totally eye clean in real life, and any marks you can see in these photos are because I forgot to clean it before I took these photos.

I hope this helps.

20190114_150225.jpg

20190114_150720.jpg

20190114_150623.jpg

20181108_105902.jpg

20181017_115552.jpg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can use a CZ solitaire (cheap on Amazon) to test out sizes. But, I think tolerance/desire for spread and height can vary. I have much larger hands, but really am sensitive to height. So, I'm about max'd out for a round at around 2 carats, because any more and the height is bothersome. If I want more spread, I'm gonna have to switch to an elongate shape that has less depth. Oh darn...:mrgreen2:

For a modern round, my personal preference when faced with a bunch of lovely super-ideals --- small table and higher crown angle.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes - and they’ll be more than happy to check them out for you!
I actually asked WF about this just a couple weeks ago and my CS rep was under the impression that "negligible" meant "none". At that point I didn't want to argue with her so I moved on with my search.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I actually asked WF about this just a couple weeks ago and my CS rep was under the impression that "negligible" meant "none". At that point I didn't want to argue with her so I moved on with my search.

I actually thought that was the case too. That AGS uses negligible instead of none like GIA.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually thought that was the case too. That AGS uses negligible instead of none like GIA.
Most people do at first.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing is, the parameters we see in superideals are narrow. There honestly isn't going to be a huge difference in appearance in a 56 or 57 table, or even 55 and 57. I have been to Whiteflash and I have seen and owned many of their diamonds. There was not a single ACA that I would have turned down except when the color was below my personal preference.

Of the diamonds you posted, I think I would take the 2 ct F VS2 from Whiteflash. The price is good and you can always upgrade if they later get a 2.2+ ct if you wish. They usually have the largest selection and best prices. They also have a very wide setting selection. I also have the Vatche U-113 and love it. I can't see paying for D VS1, personally. (I also would ask about the fluorescence since that concerns you, but I absolutely love it and would prefer it if I had a choice of two otherwise identical stones! You don't normally see any evidence of fluorescence without shining a UV light, but I just think it is the most beautiful natural phenomenon, and certainly wouldn't be concerned with a slight amount under any circumstances.)

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really liking the way the WF E VS1 2.055 looks, but I'd be hesitant to pay extra 10k compared to the F VS2. It seems WF is running lower than usual with their inventory. If not in any hurry, I'd call and ask WF when they're expecting additional supply so that you'd have more options to consider.

mchap

Rough_Rock
I'm really liking the way the WF E VS1 2.055 looks, but I'd be hesitant to pay extra 10k compared to the F VS2. It seems WF is running lower than usual with their inventory. If not in any hurry, I'd call and ask WF when they're expecting additional supply so that you'd have more options to consider.
@mchap -

I don't know if you've seen real life photos of a WF F VS2, but here's mine. It's perfect in real life. This one is 3.05ct, and the sides are also ACA diamonds from WF - each one is .62 ct and G colored. As you can see - all very white. They're all totally eye clean in real life, and any marks you can see in these photos are because I forgot to clean it before I took these photos.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the photos! I originally wanted and F color and still like that. We were concerned about the table being 57.2. Sounds like that is okay though. I also keep looking at a 1.865. But I may regret it.

mchap

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the feedback. Why do you like the 2.055? Did you like the HP 2 carat F color?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the feedback. Why do you like the 2.055? Did you like the HP 2 carat F color?
The 2ct HP F is amazing :kiss2:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the F is nice as well. I just prefer the E because it looks so nice and brighter and I like the video performance as well as the hearts image, but the difference is so minute it doesn't justify the 10K price hike.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results