shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Diamond for 40th Wedding Anniversary

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
You're not wrong @mrs-b. This is in fact the majority of the general population. People should know that no one will scope and "examine" your diamond to quickly determine that it's not a "superideal" unless you allow them to, and even so only a rare few may have the ability to discern naked eye. Unless you have a diamond with noticeable leakage or poor proportions/symmetry next to an ideal stone for direct comparison, people won't be able to tell the difference so easily between two decent stones, especially if the proportions and optical symmetry are similar. When diamonds get larger, the facet patterns simply become increasingly recognizable more appreciably along with mesmerizing crisper bigger sparkles. The diamonds with lower pavilion such as 40.6 have more visible darker arrow patterns, and some tend to prefer this while others prefer higher pavilion for the brighter look.
Interesting, @blueMA. Mine is 40.7. In natural lighting, I can see the darker arrows but in office lighting in some particular areas, I get distracted by the shimmery white/ light arrows. Can you explain that please?

Thank you.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, My husband would like to upgrade my diamond for our 40th wedding anniversary. I currently have a .60 and we are upgrading to a 2.0 or so. Our 40th was last April and he has been looking for a diamond that has a great cut since then.

We want an F color or better, VS1 or better, and have a great cut. I have read and been advised to get a VS1 or better when buying a 2.0 stone. Most of the local jewelers in our area did not have the diamond we wanted so we started to look online. We found a jeweler who will get a diamond directly from a vendor for us. He can get us this diamond and would like your opinion. It is F Color but VS2. My hesitation is that it is a VS2. I have seen some VS1 with inclusions right in the middle of the table. This table looks good but I may be missing something. I would appreciated any feedback.

http://www.bijandiamonds.com/product/diamond_image_video.php?cert=2314331477

@mchap - congrats on your 40th anniversary! Hope you find YOUR perfect diamond. There’s definitely plenty of experts here to help guide you. Good luck! Can’t wait to see what you pick.

mchap

Rough_Rock
@mchap - congrats on your 40th anniversary! Hope you find YOUR perfect diamond. There’s definitely plenty of experts here to help guide you. Good luck! Can’t wait to see what you pick.

Thanks! I have gotten such great advice from so many on the forum and really appreciate it. We are going to buy online (big for us) and looking at Whiteflash, HP Diamonds and Blue Nile. There are so many beautiful ones too!

Evian

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link. On the Blue Nile stone how would I see the idealscope (hearts and arrows)? Do I need to?
You won't be able to make a full assessment without idealscope or ASET image.

BN won't provide the extra imaging.

You would have to buy the stone lose and examine it yourself (you can buy ASET and ideal scope) or take it to someone you know that could evaluate it for you.

If it doesn't meet your expectations, you have 30 days to return it.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I have gotten such great advice from so many on the forum and really appreciate it. We are going to buy online (big for us) and looking at Whiteflash, HP Diamonds and Blue Nile. There are so many beautiful ones too!
I am a WF fan. I’ve gotten all my 3 upgrades there. They are so wonderful to deal with. Such an easy, painless process too.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Interesting, @blueMA. Mine is 40.7. In natural lighting, I can see the darker arrows but in office lighting in some particular areas, I get distracted by the shimmery white/ light arrows. Can you explain that please?

Thank you.

Like this? Pic on the left is filtered natural light, pic on the right is indoor lighting. Taken seconds apart with a tilt of the wrist.

C85A6F9E-6F41-43AE-9EDA-EC0C95DB48E1.jpeg

mchap

Rough_Rock
Like this? Pic on the left is filtered natural light, pic on the right is indoor lighting. Taken seconds apart with a tilt of the wrist.

C85A6F9E-6F41-43AE-9EDA-EC0C95DB48E1.jpeg

Your diamond is beautiful. That is what I am looking for. Can you tell me the carat size, color and clarity?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
This could be a decent stone, but would need to further investigate.

i.e. buy it, examine it, and if its no good, return it,

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

I think this one is good if you’re not looking for super ideal. I don’t know too many that would want to shop based on the 30 day return period, but to each their own. Could take forever vetting diamonds, and you’d be judging them yourself with non-expert eyes, without a super ideal to compare it with, you’d never know if the diamond was any good compared to other $36,000 diamonds. For $36,000, I’d way rather go with the CBI options I posted below.

I got the feeling the OP wanted a diamond of a lifetime dream - like me. If the OP is like me in older age, they are looking for dream diamond not future trade-in diamond.

To the OP, to save money, go down in clarity first - but not too far. Even if inclusions can’t be seen, they do affect how light plays in the diamond - some much more than others. With lower clarity, you’re always looking for that magical one that looks and acts like higher clarity - that can take some homework unless you can trust your vendor.

And then consider going down in color. Unlike clarity, color is something that you can see with your naked eyes - especially in a 2 carat. AGS F could be equivalent to GIA G, so the difference between lab grading should be considered.

Next, go down in size to just under 2 carat. I’ve been watching WF inventory, and unfortunately for you, they recently sold all of their higher color ACAs 1.6 - 1.99 carat. There was a lovely F 1.8something that recently sold.

With WF, you can get on a notification list for diamonds your looking for:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/request-diamond.aspx

I’m really not sure if this is normal, but I am currently getting a WF custom cut. I don’t see any mention of this on their site, so I suspect they are doing me a favor. I hesitate mentioning it here in case I cause a flood of requests for them, but they didn’t tell me to keep it a secret either, lol.

You are literally shopping at the worst time for inventory. I think the best advice to give you is to be patient and wait for more diamonds to get cut, certified, and into stock.

Here is an ugly premium select with a bunch of light leakage but in your price range:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3913597.htm

CBI at high performance diamonds may be a better option for you. Most of their inventory is under VVS and Crafted by Infinity is slightly more expensive, but I think they have more selection in your range right now. People rave about cbi performance and HPD has the best policies. With the 5% wire discount, they have three like the following at your price range:
2.05 carat:
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10535

And also below 2 carat, 1.81 carat:
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10616

Haha I hope you’re getting closer! Beware the analysis paralysis with both WF ACA and HPD CBI, as you can’t go wrong with any of them in terms of performance. Generally, you get what you pay for - the video posted by BlueMA makes a good and valid point, but it is also rigged - so it is true but not quite as dramatically as demonstrated. It really only proves the importance of cut.

Super ideals cost more because more diamond rough is lost in the process - they cost more to produce.

Have you made any progress towards a decision yet?

mchap

Rough_Rock
Personally I don’t think you need to limit yourself to VS1 or better. I would be shocked if you saw something at VS2 especially if it’s an ideal cut. I just bought a 2 carat SI1 super ideal (ACA) from Whiteflash and I can’t see a thing and I have hawk eyes!
Thanks. Did they put it in a setting for you or did you have someone else do it?

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I believe a lot on the forum did well with White Flash. Did you have them do your settings too?
Yes ;-). It definitely was nerve wracking purchasing online at first. My first purchase from them was a pair of ACA earrings and I was completely happy with it but was still nerve wracking purchasing my first e-ring upgrade as to me that was totally different compared to a pair of earrings. After that, the second and third upgrades were still a little anxiety-provoking but somewhat easier. I asked tons and tons of questions and bless my ever so patient, Brittany, for answering my endless questions :).

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I think this one is good if you’re not looking for super ideal. I don’t know too many that would want to shop based on the 30 day return period, but to each their own. Could take forever vetting diamonds, and you’d be judging them yourself with non-expert eyes, without a super ideal to compare it with, you’d never know if the diamond was any good compared to other $36,000 diamonds. For $36,000, I’d way rather go with the CBI options I posted below.

I got the feeling the OP wanted a diamond of a lifetime dream - like me. If the OP is like me in older age, they are looking for dream diamond not future trade-in diamond.

To the OP, to save money, go down in clarity first - but not too far. Even if inclusions can’t be seen, they do affect how light plays in the diamond - some much more than others. With lower clarity, you’re always looking for that magical one that looks and acts like higher clarity - that can take some homework unless you can trust your vendor.

And then consider going down in color. Unlike clarity, color is something that you can see with your naked eyes - especially in a 2 carat. AGS F could be equivalent to GIA G, so the difference between lab grading should be considered.

Next, go down in size to just under 2 carat. I’ve been watching WF inventory, and unfortunately for you, they recently sold all of their higher color ACAs 1.6 - 1.99 carat. There was a lovely F 1.8something that recently sold.

I’m really not sure if this is normal, but I am currently getting a WF custom cut. I don’t see any mention of this on their site, so I suspect they are doing me a favor. I hesitate mentioning it here in case I cause a flood of requests for them, but they didn’t tell me to keep it a secret either, lol.

You are literally shopping at the worst time for inventory. I think the best advice to give you is to be patient and wait for more diamonds to get cut, certified, and into stock.

Here is an ugly premium select with a bunch of light leakage but in your price range:

CBI at high performance diamonds may be a better option for you. Most of their inventory is under VVS and Crafted by Infinity is slightly more expensive, but I think they have more selection in your range right now. People rave about cbi performance and HPD has the best policies. With the 5% wire discount, they have three like the following at your price range:
2.05 carat:

Haha I hope you’re getting closer! Beware the analysis paralysis with both WF ACA and HPD CBI, as you can’t go wrong with any of them in terms of performance. Generally, you get what you pay for - the video posted by BlueMA makes a good and valid point, but it is also rigged - so it is true but not quite as dramatically as demonstrated. It really only proves the importance of cut.

Super ideals cost more because more diamond rough is lost in the process - they cost more to produce.

@kmoro - can’t wait to see your custom ring :).

mchap

Rough_Rock

2.05 carat:

Thanks for checking in! We have been looking at diamonds all night, mostly on Whiteflash. Did look on HP Diamonds and Blue Nile too. It is a dream diamond. I am 61 and always worn a .65. We have been talking and don't want to limit price too much. Just don't want to settle. So we are opening up the budget more. It will eventually go to my 2 daughters or 3 granddaughters! I did see some on Whiteflash that were previously posted on this forum. Ranged from 35K to 43K. We like them very much. But now my question is about inventory. Are you saying that they are under stocked and I should wait awhile? I will post 4 that I liked and would love your opinion.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I want to say one more thing. It doesn’t matter if other people can see the quality or lack thereof in your diamond .. what YOU think of your diamond and what makes you enjoy it are the only things that matter. :wavey:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for checking in! We have been looking at diamonds all night, mostly on Whiteflash. Did look on HP Diamonds and Blue Nile too. It is a dream diamond. I am 61 and always worn a .65. We have been talking and don't want to limit price too much. Just don't want to settle. So we are opening up the budget more. It will eventually go to my 2 daughters or 3 granddaughters! I did see some on Whiteflash that were previously posted on this forum. Ranged from 35K to 43K. We like them very much. But now my question is about inventory. Are you saying that they are under stocked and I should wait awhile? I will post 4 that I liked and would love your opinion.

Yes, I am saying that they are under stocked in some carat ranges, but that doesn’t mean the ones they still have are lacking in any way. In the 2 carat and above range, WF still has several beautiful choices - no need to wait if one of them meets your dream.

mchap

Rough_Rock

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
There are some that we compared. The HCA scores are between 1-1.2. Is 1 the best. I would appreciate any feedback. They are just beautiful.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?=3970294,3999627,4006547,4018647

They are all ACA, so you can literally close your eyes and pick any one of them, lol. However, smaller tables create more colored light return (fire) because the other top facets are larger, and larger tables create more white light return (brighter) ... most people favour fire, but it’s a personal preference. Also lower half length - the shorter (say 75) creates bigger sparkles and the longer (say 80) creates more little sparkles - people here tend to favor shorter ones ... also personal preference.

Just adding that so you can narrow your choices yourself. If those are your choices, I don’t think anyone can say anything better or worse about any ACA.

Oh wait I should mention fluorescence. AGS negligible includes fluorescence right up to medium, so if you don’t like fluorescence, make sure you get WF to check the diamond for you. That’s what I did wrong. If you consider that you get a discount for GIA faint, you may not want to pay for “none” unless you actually have none. If you don’t mind fluorescence, have WF make sure it causes no haziness (odds are that it won’t).

mchap

Rough_Rock
They are all ACA, so you can literally close your eyes and pick any one of them, lol. However, smaller tables create more colored light return (fire) because the other top facets are larger, and larger tables create more white light return (brighter) ... most people favour fire, but it’s a personal preference. Also lower half length - the shorter (say 75) creates bigger sparkles and the longer (say 80) creates more little sparkles - people here tend to favor shorter ones ... also personal preference.

Just adding that so you can narrow your choices yourself. If those are your choices, I don’t think anyone can say anything better or worse about any ACA.

Oh wait I should mention fluorescence. AGS negligible includes fluorescence right up to medium, so if you don’t like fluorescence, make sure you get WF to check the diamond for you. That’s what I did wrong. If you consider that you get a discount for GIA faint, you may not want to pay for “none” unless you actually have none. If you don’t mind fluorescence, have WF make sure it causes no haziness (odds are that it won’t).

Thanks again for all of the information. We always filter for 'no fluorescence' but it seemed all of the ones I looked at had negligible. I would rather have none. So I can call Whiteflash and ask?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks again for all of the information. We always filter for 'no fluorescence' but it seemed all of the ones I looked at had negligible. I would rather have none. So I can call Whiteflash and ask?

If ACA stones, they are graded by AGS rather than GIA. AGS reporte stones with no all the way up to just below medium as “negligible”. Also AGS graded fluorescence slightly differently than GIA. We had a thread about this late last year:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fluorescence-ags-question.245367/

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

Yes - and they’ll be more than happy to check them out for you!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

This is my AGS “negligible”:

F69B9627-83E6-4184-8EB9-79FDADA45D93.jpeg

It’s a pretty color but I wanted none ... and that’s very close to medium.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes - and they’ll be more than happy to check them out for you!

Fluorescence can be directional so a GIA graded stone may be “None” when UV is being shone at it from one direction and could be faint or Medium from another direction. An AGS negligible could actually be GIA faint or medium or it really could be none.

WF would definitely be able to confirm for you that directional fluorescence isn’t an issue for any of their in house stones.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I am also looking at this one. It is not the 2 carat I wanted but close. My husband is afraid I will regret it.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4045314.htm

People usually can see a size difference side by side at about .2 mm. You may not notice that this is smaller than a 2 carat when you wear it on its own, and you do save the price per carat jump at 2 carats.

However, if I were you, I’d go for the 2 carat and over just because you can afford it. We have a thing called Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome (DSS), that makes us feel like our diamonds are smaller over time, lol. DSS is real, lol, so unless you don’t like how it looks on your hand, I would suggest going as big as you can afford.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
AA9ED862-669F-4503-88E3-4C28CBDDCD3E.jpeg 6524EC22-8767-4395-9ECC-19F194E39133.jpeg 42E68371-44E5-4FFE-B04E-F6B7BDB01AD9.jpeg 7FBFF625-BE60-4069-85CE-2D583FCEA37E.jpeg
Thanks. Did they put it in a setting for you or did you have someone else do it?

I went with the Vatche U-113 in platinum through Whiteflash. Besides that being the exact setting I wanted and they happen to carry it, I personally find it easier to deal with one vendor for both the diamond and setting when possible. I highly recommend WF!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
AA9ED862-669F-4503-88E3-4C28CBDDCD3E.jpeg 6524EC22-8767-4395-9ECC-19F194E39133.jpeg 42E68371-44E5-4FFE-B04E-F6B7BDB01AD9.jpeg 7FBFF625-BE60-4069-85CE-2D583FCEA37E.jpeg

I went with the Vatche U-113 in platinum through Whiteflash. Besides that being the exact setting I wanted and they happen to carry it, I personally find it easier to deal with one vendor for both the diamond and setting when possible. I highly recommend WF!

Drool!!!!

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I am also looking at this one. It is not the 2 carat I wanted but close. My husband is afraid I will regret it.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4045314.htm

With your budget I see no reason to go less than 2 carats! Every stone you posted over 2 carats is stunning and you would not be disappointed to say the least. You said you want to make this one count (so to speak) so I would for sure hit that 2 carat or more mark - i think it also makes it a special stone to hand down as you say you plan to.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results