shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Diamond Color Please

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am considering a diamond purchase to match closely with the two smaller diamonds in the pictures below. I'm trying to get an idea of what color range these two may be, as I cannot recall from when I purchased them about 2+ years ago. I know we can't tell exactly from posting pictures, given lighting, screen differences, etc. and I'm not necessarily asking for a specific letter grade on them. Rather, I'm hoping to get an idea from those with better eyes for color than I (I'm not really color sensitive) about how many grades different they appear to be from the one in the middle, which is an 'M' for reference.

I took two sets of pictures in the same room/lighting - one with my cell phone, the other with my iPad. With my eyes & looking at them in person, the cell phone pics seem to show the color variance more accurately than the iPad, but I wanted to try both options to be safe.

Any educated/prosumer guesses as to if they are about two, three, four or more letter grades different/higher? :confused: Just trying to gauge what range of color I should look at for the third to match.

Thanks so much, in advance, for any input/assistance! :wavey:

side_view_cell_phone.jpg

side_view_ipad_pic.jpg

top_down_view_cell_phone.jpg

top_down_view_ipad_pic.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love a guessing game!

Seriously, back in the day, when I was in training at Harry Winston, it was a common game played- a stone would be passed around and everyone would give their opinion of color.....

As a totally off the wall, very approximate guess...

If the center stone is an M, I'd say the stone in the right is a J, and the one on the left is an I

99% chance i'm wrong:)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you RockDiamond. So *potentially* a 3-4 grade color difference? I'm really not expecting anyone to pin down ONE exact grade ... just a best guess/ball park since my eyes don't pick up on color differences so well. I won't sue anyone. :naughty:

I've been trying to track down that picture posted in the last few days or so of the various diamond colors so I could try and take a stab, but I can't find that thread/picture. :think:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I remember taking a 'test' like this at one of the appraising classes. The only passing answer was to decline the job.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: DenverAppraiser

Might anyone have the picture/s that were posted in the last few days that show (what I think was) master set diamonds by color so I can at least look at the variation/differences in color between grades with my own eyes?

Mind you, I'm truly not asking for nor trying to assign a specific grade on these diamonds by pictures alone; just figure out what range I should be looking in for a possible match so I can ascertain budget, etc. when I'm ready to buy.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
JoCoJenn said:
:lol: DenverAppraiser

Might anyone have the picture/s that were posted in the last few days that show (what I think was) master set diamonds by color so I can at least look at the variation/differences in color between grades with my own eyes?

Mind you, I'm truly not asking for nor trying to assign a specific grade on these diamonds by pictures alone; just figure out what range I should be looking in for a possible match so I can ascertain budget, etc. when I'm ready to buy.

Here it is: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/has-anyone-got-that-color-comparison-photo.224344/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/has-anyone-got-that-color-comparison-photo.224344/[/URL]

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you SOOOO much GarnetGirl! :wavey:

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
You're very welcome, JoCoJenn!

PS34one

Rough_Rock
Based (loosely of course) on the M color (if it is a true M) and the slight variance of the two on the sides (left one looks slightly higher) my guess is those side stones are a 1-2 grades away from each other somewhere in the high to mid near colorless range (G-J)
That's still a bit broad buy my estimate is to look for something in between so one side stone wont stick out, maybe the H-I area. Of course, look in person first but that should be a good starting point.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS34one|1470150670|4061644 said:
Based (loosely of course) on the M color (if it is a true M) and the slight variance of the two on the sides (left one looks slightly higher) my guess is those side stones are a 1-2 grades away from each other somewhere in the high to mid near colorless range (G-J)
That's still a bit broad buy my estimate is to look for something in between so one side stone wont stick out, maybe the H-I area. Of course, look in person first but that should be a good starting point.

Thank you so much PS34one! :wavey: That is precisely what I'm trying to do/gauge - the potential range to look in/consider for a third. I didn't want anyone to feel like they needed to specify a particular grade on them; rather, just how may grades different/up they appear from the center (maybe I shouldn't have mentioned what that was :( but I figured someone would ask).

Unrelated, but I am fairly confident in the "M" as-is, as it was appraised as such in it's former setting (by a PS appraiser), as well as loose by a local GG with a master set in my presence. From the side view, it seemed pretty bang on for an M, but face up, she's really white (to my eyes at least). I really just need to get off my rump, send it to the 'spa' for a polish & girdle rehab, and send it off for cert already, but there hasn't been a pressing demand/need, so ...

Anyway, thanks to all who contributed; very helpful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results