shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone got that color comparison photo?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen it many times - a line up of stones showing diamonds of increasing color from a side view against a plain background.

Does anyone have that photo and could they put it here please? I'd like to show it to a friend.

Many thanks!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you thinking of the photo in this 2014 post from Gypsy? It's been a popular one.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/color-e-vs-h-i.203884/#post-3710845#p3710845']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/color-e-vs-h-i.203884/#post-3710845#p3710845[/URL]

I can't seem to find the very first time it made an appearance here on PS, but I can say I've noticed that the colors of the stones and the background don't look precisely the same whenever posted, probably owing to degradation in quality as the pic has been copied and uploaded, more than once, on to the PS server.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - YES! Molly - that was the one I was thinking of. I've seen all three photos during my time on PS and, since I'm looking in the near colorless range, that one you posted, AdaBeta, was perfect! Pinto - for comparing categories - which I've also considered - this was particularly great!

Wow - you ladies really hit it out of the park - thank you so much!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
yellow-color-comparison-label.jpg

Here's one I found.....

eta- I see you found what you were looking for......

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The big problem -- especially in the world of colored gems -- that even when a photograph as posted by the originator accurately represents what s/he sees, none of us can be confident our screen/display is color-calibrated precisely in sync with the originator's & that we see is what we'll get.

And we don't all "register" colors in the same way. I am really sensitive to nuances of whites and beiges, but, e.g., reds? not so much. ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh, I have always thought GOG's page was so good because it also shows the face-up view as well as the pavilion view.

David, thanks for posting the lower colors. That is very helpful, too!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MollyMalone|1469033810|4057602 said:
The big problem -- especially in the world of colored gems -- that even when a photograph as posted by the originator accurately represents what s/he sees, none of us can be confident our screen/display is color-calibrated precisely in sync with the originator's & that we see is what we'll get.

And we don't all "register" colors in the same way. I am really sensitive to nuances of whites and beiges, but, e.g., reds? not so much. ;))
+1- you've also got the additional problem of trying to compare from site to site- each using different camera, setup, etc.....

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1469035026|4057606 said:
Ohhh, I have always thought GOG's page was so good because it also shows the face-up view as well as the pavilion view.

David, thanks for posting the lower colors. That is very helpful, too!

You're more than welcome DS!!
Pavilion view of the stones I posted above
yellow-color-comparison-a.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David -

Thank you so much! Putting that one away in my files!

The reason I was looking for photos... I have a friend who is wanting to buy a diamond. He was looking at one that was an I and one that was an M in two different locations - ie not side by side. He said "It doesn't make a lot of difference, does it? I mean - they're all about the same...aren't they?"

So I wasn't looking for exact representation - just something to indicate that - no! - they're NOT all the same! I have all the colors here down to I, but nothing warmer, so couldn't show him the problem. The photos did the trick. :)

Thanks again, folks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, thank goodness you were able to help him, MrsBlop! Yes, there is a definite difference between I and M color!

Thanks, David, I saved them, too! Very useful as we don't get to see yellows as often, and this really helps to get a grasp of what those color grades mean!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1469063639|4057782 said:
Oh wow, thank goodness you were able to help him, MrsBlop! Yes, there is a definite difference between I and M color!

Thanks, David, I saved them, too! Very useful as we don't get to see yellows as often, and this really helps to get a grasp of what those color grades mean!

I know - can you imagine?? "Honey - will you marry me? I got you this nice M color diamond solitaire....the lady in the shop said it was just like an I..."

:snooty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results