shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with AJS Morganite (Last Day of Sale)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DK, you saw it, I believe it is there! Yes, I absolutely would consider going down the custom route. I looked at all the PS custom cutters' sites and did not see anything--I suppose I would have to make a request for them to find what I want? I am not sure how it works.

Here you go, a photo by Jeff White back in 2015 of Morganite roughs he acquired, no doubt from a trip to Tucson:

1679528268055.png

Knowing him, he may still have some in his vast inventory - he apparently has about 12 years' worth of roughs, yet he could not help himself from buying more when he find ones that he like! All from the horse's mouth when I met up with him in Tucson over dinner earlier this year.

He does not list his roughs on his site, way too many to list, and more importantly, he is too busy cutting commissioned works!

I would suggest contacting him via e-mail and ask if he has any roughs that suits your colour choice and budget, and give him some idea of the cut shape that you may like.

More information can be found on his website: https://www.whitesgems.com/customcutting

A certain amount is deducted from the price paid should a custom cut stone is returned for a refund. This is generous compared with some jewellery vendors that do not offer refund on custom work unless they are faulty.

I have been working with him since 2015 and find him very easy to deal with, and have a few cut stones from him waiting to be set, plus a blue green Tourmaline waiting in the wings to be cut.

Please check out his sold gemstones galleries - a few of mine and other PSers's could be seen in them.

DK :))

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
Here you go, a photo by Jeff White back in 2015 of Morganite roughs he acquired, no doubt from a trip to Tucson:

1679528268055.png

Knowing him, he may still have some in his vast inventory - he apparently has about 12 years' worth of roughs, yet he could not help himself from buying more when he find ones that he like! All from the horse's mouth when I met up with him in Tucson over dinner earlier this year.

He does not list his roughs on his site, way too many to list, and more importantly, he is too busy cutting commissioned works!

I would suggest contacting him via e-mail and ask if he has any roughs that suits your colour choice and budget, and give him some idea of the cut shape that you may like.

More information can be found on his website: https://www.whitesgems.com/customcutting

A certain amount is deducted from the price paid should a custom cut stone is returned for a refund. This is generous compared with some jewellery vendors that do not offer refund on custom work unless they are faulty.

I have been working with him since 2015 and find him very easy to deal with, and have a few cut stones from him waiting to be set, plus a blue green Tourmaline waiting in the wings to be cut.

Please check out his sold gemstones galleries - a few of mine and other PSers's could be seen in them.

THANK YOU DK!!! I could hug you too.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also try Doug Menadue of Bespoke Gems (I have purchased from him, finished stones as well as custom ones), not many roughs or finished stones listed though: https://www.bespoke-gems.com/welcome.php

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
You are the BEST!!! I have been looking at other stones on AJS, just so my husband would have something to give me and not be upset about that. That gives me time to work on the Morganite pendant. It can turn into an anniversary present for August.=)2
I like the looks of oblong bicolor tourmaline, and this one actually says no windows! Do you see anything wrong with it? They would have to come way, way, way down on price.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are the BEST!!! I have been looking at other stones on AJS, just so my husband would have something to give me and not be upset about that. That gives me time to work on the Morganite pendant. It can turn into an anniversary present for August.=)2
I like the looks of oblong bicolor tourmaline, and this one actually says no windows! Do you see anything wrong with it? They would have to come way, way, way down on price.

I shall be honest, in that although I could not observe a window in this stone in the video, the obvious colour zoning/striations on the pink end of the stone in the photo alone, as in the light and dark lines, bother me.

Compounded by not being a fan of scissor cut, the high price for colours that do not pop at me, I would pass on this stone.

However, that's my personal opinions and preferences.

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
DK, your honesty is a great thing and has helped me immensely! As long as quality is there, I am ok with a striation. Thanks for sticking with me!! I have two more to ask you about please. We are nearing the end.
First, there is this tourmaline. I don't think I see windows? Still a scissors cut, but this one says precision whereas the first tourmaline did not.

And then one more morganite--it is a precision cut, but I can definitely see through half the stone. Is that just a big window? This confuses me because I thought a precision cut would really make windows not possible.

I am getting to the point I don't want to see the windows in my house. HAHAHA :lol:
I can't even begin to explain what a big help you have been and how very much I appreciate it. THANK YOU! I feel like that is not even enough to say. I am so grateful.

Feeling much better than yesterday too thanks to everyone here. I'm going to fix this and get something that brings me joy and is mind-clean. :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are welcome!

However, don't take my words about them as I am not an expert; hopefully the others will come along to offer their wisdom soon!

For the Tourmaline, the cut is good, however, I can see zoning in the photo and also in the video. It is mainly on the underside on the left, however, it is noticeable to me.

Also, the colour does not appeal to me, as there is a lot of brown in the stone and quite dark, not sufficient vivid and bright for my liking. I also believe the price is too high.

For the Morganite, I like the colour, the shape and the cut and it is very clean; however, not the price!

I believe their pricing in general is on the high side, hence I only bought 2 items from them when they announced they were closing a while back for their stock to be heavily discounted. They appeared to have changed their mind about closing down. :confused:

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
Thanks as always! Does zoning diminish the value of the stone? Is it generally considered undesirable or is it just a personal preference?

I am beyond confused about why that is not a window on the morganite. Ugh.

I am still having at least the 30% off honored and I do believe they will stop selling at the end of the month!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks as always! Does zoning diminish the value of the stone? Is it generally considered undesirable or is it just a personal preference?

I am still having at least the 30% off honored and I do believe they will stop selling at the end of the month!

Can't answer that re: zoning, as some zoning is desirable, for example , in bicolour Tourmaline when one colour fades into another etc...

Only you can decide if the extent of zoning in the Tourmaline is acceptable to you.

For this stone at this price, even at 30% off, I would pass because of the zoning. However, that's my personal preference.

Does zoning in a single colour CS bothers me? Yes - none of my nicer CSs have zoning.

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
The kite morganite seems to have a tilt window, not a typical window. I would guess that directly face-up there is no window but at a slight tilt (like the way it is angled throughout the video) you will be able to see through some of the stone.
This is a video I posted before of a benitoite with a prominent tilt window. Halfway through, notice that you can see through the stone when it is angled.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The kite morganite seems to have a tilt window, not a typical window. I would guess that directly face-up there is no window but at a slight tilt (like the way it is angled throughout the video) you will be able to see through some of the stone.
This is a video I posted before of a benitoite with a prominent tilt window. Halfway through, notice that you can see through the stone when it is angled.

Tilt window is somewhat normal and as expected when the stone is as big as this one (edited to mention the kite Morganite), IMHO.

Last edited:

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
Oh wow, toomuchB. This is very hard for an untrained eye like mine. I can see the tilt window on your stone when you point it out.
Do you see any windows on this one?

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
Tilt window is somewhat normal and as expected when the stone is as big as this one, IMHO.

Ah, so it is not really something that can be avoided on a larger stone? I just want to look for the flat, head on windows? I posted one more.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, so it is not really something that can be avoided on a larger stone? I just want to look for the flat, head on windows? I posted one more.

For CS, when the stone is big and deep, tilt window is inevitable, IMHO.

My 6ct+ emerald cut Aquamarine cut by Jeff W has a tilt window.

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow, toomuchB. This is very hard for an untrained eye like mine. I can see the tilt window on your stone when you point it out.
Do you see any windows on this one?

That is the kite I was referring to with my comment. The other near 8ct kite morganite shows it too if you meant to post that one. I agree that in big stones a tilt window is normal and expected.
My intent was to clear this up:

Last edited:

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
Ah, yes, sorry I posted the wrong one. Ok, let me start again with these two. Is there anything, quality-wise, to recommend one of these stones over the other? One is fatter width-wise and one is longer, karats very close. I can't see a difference in quality.

So, previously posted

And newly posted

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
And much obliged for the thread DK. Reading now.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, yes, sorry I posted the wrong one. Ok, let me start again with these two. Is there anything, quality-wise, to recommend one of these stones over the other? One is fatter width-wise and one is longer, karats very close. I can't see a difference in quality.

So, previously posted

And newly posted

Given the two stones, I prefer the leaner and longer of the two for its shape as a pendant. I also prefer it over the other one for its colour.

Personal preferences and all that.

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
Thanks DK. If I'm honest, me too. Especially for a single pendant. Ok, I will try for this pendant.

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
The thread on tilt windows was very helpful. I never check out the diamond forums. Also, I wish everyone holding a CS would wear black gloves. Man did that make it a hundred times easier to see the window!

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
I did it. I bought the 8.1 carat one. I have not seen that color anywhere else and between the color and the precision cut, well, I couldn't resist. I think the length will be great. And it is mind-clean! Thanks to reading on the forum I am getting the amazing David Klass to design the pendant setting!
I'll post as soon as I receive it. I am so excited. I could not have done it without PS research, everyone who answered me in this thread with educational and emotional support and of course, the wonderful DK, who was always there to share her opinion and was the first to alert me about a window in the original stone. THANK YOU ALL! :clap: And I have to say Arnold was super nice to me and patient.

You guys, this is mine!! One of the finest Morganite pieces AJS has ever seen! :dance:

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
I did it. I bought the 8.1 carat one. I have not seen that color anywhere else and between the color and the precision cut, well, I couldn't resist. I think the length will be great. And it is mind-clean! Thanks to reading on the forum I am getting the amazing David Klass to design the pendant setting!
I'll post as soon as I receive it. I am so excited. I could not have done it without PS research, everyone who answered me in this thread with educational and emotional support and of course, the wonderful DK, who was always there to share her opinion and was the first to alert me about a window in the original stone. THANK YOU ALL! :clap: And I have to say Arnold was super nice to me and patient.

You guys, this is mine!! One of the finest Morganite pieces AJS has ever seen! :dance:

I would love to hear your impressions/see your photos once you have it in hand :)

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
There are some wonderful custom cutters on PS. Precision Gems (Gene), JLWhite (Jeff) and Gary at Finewater Gems.

I have been wondering about the windows. I see them on a lot of stones, some big, some small and some not at all. I guess they are fairly common and it’s just a matter of deciding which ones are better handled with the setting, or which to avoid entirely or which ones you can live with because the stone just sparkles like crazy to outweigh the window.

I’ve only bought from people I’ve seen recommended on here and I always ask for advice (except for the lab emerald I commissioned from Precision Gems because it was inexpensive and worth the chance. It came out beautiful!)

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
It's here! The color is perfection. It is a true, clear pink which I have never seen in morganite before. The picture on the green leaf looks most true to color. It is perfect clarity, loupe clean. Any marks are the paper towel debris from me wiping off my fingerprints! The cut, I am not so sure. It was advertised as precision, but am I seeing big windows? I'm not sure. What do you think? I paid $5500 for it and have 10 days to decide whether or not to keep it. All these pictures are under LED light. I'll get some natural light pictures tomorrow.

20230331_203553.jpg 20230331_203137.jpg 20230331_203107.jpg 20230331_202742.jpg 20230331_203236.jpg 20230331_203319.jpg 20230331_203454.jpg

Attachments

• 20230331_203454.jpg
    20230331_203454.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230331_203236.jpg
    20230331_203236.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230331_203333.jpg
    20230331_203333.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230331_203137.jpg
    20230331_203137.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230331_203107.jpg
    20230331_203107.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230331_203553.jpg
    20230331_203553.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 8

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally do not see a window in the face up photos.

However, if you are not happy with it for whatever reason(s), then return it.

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
Thanks DK!! Here are some outside light pictures.
20230401_093326.jpg 20230401_093451.jpg 20230401_093508.jpg 20230401_093529.jpg 20230401_093627.jpg

Attachments

• 20230401_093656.jpg
    20230401_093656.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230401_093916.jpg
    20230401_093916.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 3
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results