shape
carat
color
clarity

No tilt window?

greesh

Rough_Rock
I’m interested in buying this stone (8.05 C, fancy intense, VVS2, radiant cut) but discovered it has a tilt window and have now educated myself on this common condition to some degree.

I’m wondering if it’s possible to find a stone of this size without a tilt window? 38E8F0AF-2563-47F2-A028-5B7489DA20BA.jpeg

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
It is hardly avoidable above a certain volume and with certain shapes. It is also to be expected when you look at the stone from a very low angle, like is the case in the picture you posted. This stone has a very high crown, which causes the tilt window.

I would personally not be too bothered by it, but you need to decide for yourself what is acceptable and what isn’t :)

greesh

Rough_Rock
It is hardly avoidable above a certain volume and with certain shapes. It is also to be expected when you look at the stone from a very low angle, like is the case in the picture you posted. This stone has a very high crown, which causes the tilt window.

I would personally not be too bothered by it, but you need to decide for yourself what is acceptable and what isn’t :)

Yes, it looks closer to 10 C. Then I’m thinking it’s a great stone. It’s coming in at $20k / C. Was hoping to be in around $18k but so far I’m not finding anything as good as this one at this price.

Hello there and welcome to PS! Every stone is going to "window" when tilted to that degree. This stone looks like a perfectly well-cut radiant to me. Gorgeous!!

P.S. You may get some more helpful comments from diamond connoisseurs if you ask the moderators to move this thread to Rocky Talky (the diamond forum). Good luck!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That tilt window would not bother me in an FCD.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here’s the thing.

With FCDs the goal is (almost!!) always to maximize colour saturation faceup. That’s accomplished by increasing light path length - the longer that incident light stays inside the stone, bouncing around inside the stone, the more strongly coloured it will look to your eyes when it finally exits the stone.

And (almost!!) all the #things that a cutter can do to increase light path length will also have the side-effect of decreasing the tilt angle at which windowing becomes visible.

So that’s exactly what you’re seeing here. The cutter did #things to maximize depth of yellow face-up, but you see the window at tilt. This is actually a pretty severe tilt - you’d see some windowing in pretty much every stone of similar size, as other posters have pointed out.

Add me to the list of people who wouldn’t sweat this window ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results