shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with AJS Morganite (Last Day of Sale)

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
I stumbled on the AJS going out of business thread and saw this Morganite I am thinking of purchasing. It is my first Morganite and I have questions I hope you all can help with.

1. Is this a good price? read about them jacking up prices for the 30% off. In Nov. 2021 it was increased $4225, In March 2021 it was $3849. Looks like it was first posted in Sept. 2020, which brings me to question 2
2. It is listed as loupe clean. It is more pink than orange. Beyond that, I am unsure of how to tell if it is a quality stone. I can't really tell how good the cut is and can use advice. I think I see windows in the video. Are windows just part of cut morganites? I know I read their newer stones are not as nice as their older stones. Here is an example of something in inventory since 2014. The color bis more orange and it is bigger--is it a better quality stone?
3. Could I do better? Ideally I'd like loupe clean, unheated, precision cut rectangle, square or drop pear in as big a size and as pink a color as possible for around $3000.

Today is the last day of the sale, so thanks for any quick help! Thanks so much!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I hope someone more knowledgeable about morganite can chime in, but $4420 for this shade of morganite seems high ($337/carat). A price of $200-$250/ct would give a total cost of $2620-$3275, which seems more reasonable. I bet if you messaged the vendor with an offer in this range that he would accept.

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for replying. With 30% off the price is in that range and I was honestly go I ng to ask for another 10%. That puts me right at the bottom of your range, so wow, great pricing by you!

Is there something wrong with the color? The only pinker ones I see are many thousands more and usually bigger.

Anyone that can help with quality, I would be appreciative!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Search for morganite on PS -- a number of threads about fading. Not sure if that only affects irradiated material. Not to rain on your parade. That first one is a pretty stone. The second one has an interesting outline but I don't care for the shallow crown and generous "belly."

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I was up until the wee hours reading every thread on Morganite. I saw someone say they believed natural Morganite faded in the sun but Heat treated stones may not. I assumed it was conjecture, but will do some research on it. I appreciate your thoughts on the stones too! My eye is not always good at spotting things like shallow crowns via video, In person I think I would. I want to turn the stone into a pendant.

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
Here is something that says irradiated stones can fade and go back to their original color in the sun, but not natural Morganite.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know if unheated also means not treated at all. Morganite is often irradiated and I don’t think there’s a way to identify this treatment.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t know if unheated also means not treated at all. Morganite is often irradiated and I don’t think there’s a way to identify this treatment.
I believe that heat treatment is part of the irradiation process; ie, after stones are irradiated they are then heated to fully transform the color. Therefore, if a morganite is advertised as unheated it should also be not irradiated.

Reactions: T L

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
Well, I changed my mind on which stone to buy. It is off the website now but I went for this one:
morganite-bmo-00203.jpg

It is smaller, at 10.61 carats but I decided it looked pinker to me. Dimensions are 16.22 x 12.68 x 8.28 mm. Totally clean, cushion cut. Good thing I changed my mind, as the other stone went up to $6450! Not sure why.
Arnold was nice to deal with for me. I'll post pictures when I get it.
In the meantime, can anyone recommend someone that would be good with setting this into a pendant? Everywhere I look it seems jewelers set their own stones and not one you bring in. I may want a halo of diamonds in some iteration. Still looking at settings. Thanks for any recommendations or thoughts on what would be pretty.

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
And a big thank you to @pokerface whose comments made me think twice about the color of the stone I was originally planning to buy.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We need to update our setting sellers as some are no longer in business. DanielM on etsy is good for a simple setting. I've also used Nancy Jain on etsy, plus there's David Klass, but I wouldn't use him for something basic due to cost.

When you start looking for a setting, if the window bothers you try to buy one that will close it a bit. It might not show against your skin in a pendant, but I'm not the one to ask about that.

ETA: Wasn't his sale for going out of business? Has that changed?

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out. Where is the window in this stone? I feel like with all.of them when they are moved around they have black areas. Did I mess up getting this one? Now I am worried.

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
This is my birthday present. I did all the wor and picked it out because I thought I could do a better job than my husband. I feel sick. I researched. I bought from a PS vendor. I read about windows, and that they look like a cloudy area. But I didn't see it and still don't. Maybe the first stone I was looking at would have been better. I am feeling despondent.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my birthday present. I did all the wor and picked it out because I thought I could do a better job than my husband. I feel sick. I researched. I bought from a PS vendor. I read about windows, and that they look like a cloudy area. But I didn't see it and still don't. Maybe the first stone I was looking at would have been better. I am feeling despondent.

What's the return policy on the stone?

May be you could return it and start again?

At the end of the day, if you like the stone, then like and enjoy it as it is regardless of what others may say.

DK :))

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
It is 10 days. I may well return it. I will not be happy with a window, that I am guessing maybe I will see in person.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the video of the stone I chose. I think the color is better than the first one. I am sending the video out now to people I think can help me set it. Still looking for god suggestions.

this looks really pretty

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert and could be wrong, however, I have highlighted the window that I could observe in the video - it magnifies the background where the two gloved fingers meet.

1679524391257.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is 10 days. I may well return it. I will not be happy with a window, that I am guessing maybe I will see in person.

Definitely wait until you have it in hand and see for yourself.

I have highlighted what I believe is a small window based on what I could see in the video.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
MOrganite has a low refractive index - so it'll never be super great at reflecting back light. It's usually cut more to enhance the pale color it typically presents

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock

OP, breathe and calm down, because I'm starting to feel sad for you. Nothing horrible has happened. This should be a happy experience for you, not a miserable one.

The stone you bought does have a small window. A window is not a cloudy area but one that's clear, where you can look and see through the stone as if looking through glass. @dk168 has showed it perfectly. Such a window can very easily be visually closed simply by having metal backing the gem, instead of the setting being open underneath. It's an easy solution and you can see how it works by yourself by using a little piece of aluminum foil.

For now wait to see the stone in person. When you do, be sure to pay extra attention to the bowtie that can be seen under certain angles in the video:
1679524847103.png
Usually bowties are more distracting than small windows. If it doesn't bother you in person and you love the colour of the morganite, then you can check this as a win in your book.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MOrganite has a low refractive index - so it'll never be super great at reflecting back light. It's usually cut more to enhance the pale color it typically presents

Morganites can sparkle like crazy, it depends on the cutting, and here are 3 examples of great cuttings:

1679524903180.png

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
Thank you both. Since it is coming to the US from Bangkok, and I just wired the money today, I sent an e-mail asking them to please not ship it yet, as I may choose another. I tried to call but the phone is not working. I did think it was pretty musicloveranthony. But now I see the line of the fingers now that you have pointed it out DK. I feel a bit less down on myself for not seeing it because dang, that was hard ro see. You have some eagle eyes DK. May I please ask you to look at the video of the first stone I posted on this thread to see if you can see any windows? The color.is not as good, but no windows matters too. Thank you for all the help!

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
OP, breathe and calm down, because I'm starting to feel sad for you. Nothing horrible has happened. This should be a happy experience for you, not a miserable one.

The stone you bought does have a small window. A window is not a cloudy area but one that's clear, where you can look and see through the stone as if looking through glass. @dk168 has showed it perfectly. Such a window can very easily be visually closed simply by having metal backing the gem, instead of the setting being open underneath. It's an easy solution and you can see how it works by yourself by using a little piece of aluminum foil.

For now wait to see the stone in person. When you do, be sure to pay extra attention to the bowtie that can be seen under certain angles in the video:
1679524847103.png
Usually bowties are more distracting than small windows. If it doesn't bother you in person and you love the colour of the morganite, then you can check this as a win in your book.

Thanks Avondale. I AM forgetting to breathe. Feel quite emotional about the whole thing. It is my first time buying a loose stone and having it set and I was initially very happy.ro be doing things properly. I am really worried about messing up. And I know myself, if I mess up I will focus on that and not wear it. I am going to look again at least on the AjS site to see if I should.pick another stone. I had not heard of bowties, but I definitely did notice the black areas. What cause that?
Appreciate your advice.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Odyssey44 yes I can see a small window at 18s into the video - I can't capture it like I did with the other stone, sorry!

I can also see a small black inclusion too, right in the centre.

Would you consider going down the custom route?

I seldom spend a lot of money of ready-cut stones unless they are precision cut stones by lapidary artists that I could trust.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP if they haven't shipped it you can ask them for a refund. Heck you can offer to wear the transfer costs if need be. I don't think the stone is mind clean for you now so I'm worried you won't enjoy it no matter what it looks like.

It's going to be ok.

And if you ever need to feel better I can post a bunch of dodgy stuff that I've bought. It just happens sometimes.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And if you ever need to feel better I can post a bunch of dodgy stuff that I've bought. It just happens sometimes.

Yup, been there, done that, plenty of unloved learner stones in a drawer.

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
@Odyssey44 yes I can see a small window at 18s into the video - I can't capture it like I did with the other stone, sorry!

I can also see a small black inclusion too, right in the centre.

Would you consider going down the custom route?

I seldom spend a lot of money of ready-cut stones unless they are precision cut stones by lapidary artists that I could trust.

Thanks DK, you saw it, I believe it is there! Yes, I absolutely would consider going down the custom route. I looked at all the PS custom cutters' sites and did not see anything--I suppose I would have to make a request for them to find what I want? I am not sure how it works.

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
OP if they haven't shipped it you can ask them for a refund. Heck you can offer to wear the transfer costs if need be. I don't think the stone is mind clean for you now so I'm worried you won't enjoy it no matter what it looks like.

It's going to be ok.

I would like to hug you right now!!
Yes, the stone is not mind-clean. I love that. Captures it perfectly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results